gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:11:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update: Western/Cello/EastWest studios...  (Read 4351 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:52:04 PM »

I went by the Western Building today, and happened to run into somebody involved with fixing it up.  As it turns out, it will be six months to a year before it's up and running, but things are going OK.  It was encouraging talking to him.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:15:42 PM »

What's the address of the Western building?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 03:00:10 AM »

Out of date page but address here. Passed the building last year myself and thought if looks alone were considered for its preservation thens its days were numbered.

http://www.rackattackrentals.com/online/articles/14/1/Cello-Studios
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 09:09:57 AM »

In summer '04 I spent a day at Western 3 while working on a BBC documentary shoot...we were interviewing a lot of people who played on Pet Sounds and Smile like Frankie Capp, Tommy Morgan, and Hal Blaine. I got the idea to call Dennis Wilson's kids to come down to meet Hal...which they never had to that point. When they walked in and I said "Hal these are Denny's boys...there were tears and laughs all around." Hal just kept saying over and over he loved their dad...it was very cool. Western 3 looked beautiful that day. Here's a link to a couple of photos...
http://jonstebbins.wg-net.com/nice.html
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:43:51 AM »

That guy Gage looks like an experiment where Mike Love and Dennis Wilson mutated into one guy.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »

Awesome story Jon, thanks for sharing that.  And Josh, thanks for your update, sounds like things are looking up for Western!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:51:37 AM »

That guy Gage looks like an experiment where Mike Love and Dennis Wilson mutated into one guy.

LOL awesome.

great pics, Jon! thanks for sharing.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

Interesting pictures Jon, thanks for posting.

How's L.A, Josh?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »

For a very good reason.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »

How's L.A, Josh?

Fantastic so far.  Any day that I can just pop over to Western is a good day, and at the moment I can pop over there any time.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 07:22:23 PM »

So can you take a look around inside the place? Or is it strictly limited to an outside view? Take some pictures if you find anything unique which hasn't been shown yet.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 07:53:42 AM »

In summer '04 I spent a day at Western 3 while working on a BBC documentary shoot...we were interviewing a lot of people who played on Pet Sounds and Smile like Frankie Capp, Tommy Morgan, and Hal Blaine. I got the idea to call Dennis Wilson's kids to come down to meet Hal...which they never had to that point. When they walked in and I said "Hal these are Denny's boys...there were tears and laughs all around." Hal just kept saying over and over he loved their dad...it was very cool. Western 3 looked beautiful that day. Here's a link to a couple of photos...
http://jonstebbins.wg-net.com/nice.html

Jon, did that documentary ever make it to the United States?  Are there any plans to sell it as a DVD?  Also, on that web page you linked there is mention of two documentaries.  What was the second one?  (And if you could, please answer the same two questions for the second documentary.)  Thanks.

Love and merci,    Dan Lega
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 07:56:26 AM by Dan Lega » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 09:48:00 AM »

For a very good reason.
Is Gage the son of Shawn Love?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 11:37:04 AM »

Jon, did that documentary ever make it to the United States?  Are there any plans to sell it as a DVD?  Also, on that web page you linked there is mention of two documentaries.  What was the second one?  (And if you could, please answer the same two questions for the second documentary.)  Thanks.

Love and merci,    Dan Lega

Dan,
The documentary only aired in the UK. I doubt it will ever air here or be sold as a DVD. The second doc. I spoke of was a multi part BBC show called "the secret Map of Hollywood". That one had a Dennis Wilson segment in one of the episodes that worked on...same thing...UK only...no plans that I know of to market it here. Neither one was very in depth, and they both used footage most of us have seen elsewhere....but the new interviews were cool. Brian says on camera that he can't stand to be in the same room as Mike...because, "He's too egotistical". That was interesting.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 11:38:09 AM »

For a very good reason.
Is Gage the son of Shawn Love?

Gage is the son of Dennis and Shawn.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 11:53:06 AM »

I find it to be highly ironic that they show documentaries of 'America's Band' in the UK only.

Im just sayin...Shrug

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 03:11:32 PM »

I'm sure I have one or other of these documentaries on video somewhere.  Would it help the folks of the USA if a transcript was made of some of the interviews? Unless they are already available somewhere?
Jon?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 12:05:46 AM »

I can't believe I'm quoting myself, but anyway I was just thinking, this guy has more Beach Boy DNA than anyone. His father is Dennis Wilson and his grandfather is Mike Love. That is crazy. It really is an unholy alliance. I wonder if he ever feels like kicking his own ass.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx