gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:12:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Endless Harmony
5 - 33 (47.1%)
4 - 34 (48.6%)
3 - 2 (2.9%)
2 - 1 (1.4%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Harmony  (Read 42775 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2005, 11:34:45 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Endless Harmony, released August 1998.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 08:42:39 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:43:32 AM »

Excellent compilation, but sorely lacking in the unreleased tracks department.
st2580smile
Smiley Smile Associate

It is such a fine line between clever and stupid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 04:13:40 PM »

...needed a few more Dennis unreleased tracks...(hint, hint) Grin
Pete
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »

Sure, it could have included more material.  But what was on there was just great and I still give it heavy play out in the garage where Ii often play endless beachboys.

SOMS is a must have and the live cuts not included with In Concert are some of the best live BB material I've ever heard.  The Ricky drum powered H&V is unmatched anywhere else imo.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 05:59:35 AM »

Compared to Hawthorne?  No comparison.  I loved this album and it had a flow to it.  Great great release and I would love another one like it someday.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 01:37:38 PM »

Great and very well done compilation.   5

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »

if it weren't for the inclusion of Brian's Back, this would get a 5 from me. As it stands.....

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 04:42:13 PM »

Not to mention the title track.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 09:17:37 AM »

Good mixed bag of assorted goodies. Especially like Dennis’ songs.

...And Sail Plane Song. Combines with Loop De Loop, it gives us insite into Al Jardine’s masterful method of rewriting pre-existing material (see California, Back Home (Sunflower Version), At My Window, Lookin’ At Tomorrow, Christmas Time Is Peggy Sue, Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desire for Lady Lynda, and Island Girl).

It’s not something I listen to all that much, but it’s good once in a while. I remember the day I bought it quite well.

Hoping for more vault releases in the future.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 08:58:21 AM »

A very solid effort to give the fans some of the rare/unreleased stuff.  I for one also really can't get into Brian Is Back or Endless Harmony.  I know some people like BIB simply for Carl's vocal on it and while it is lovely, it sure doesnt save such a terrible song IMO!  Those two could have been easily left off with so much more increadible stuff left in the vaults! 4

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 09:09:11 AM »

I find this album a very enjoyable listening experience.  Strangely enough, I love Brian is Back.  Even Endless Harmony, the song itself, I feel as though I shouldn't like it, but do!  Other highlights for me are the 'wah wah' version of Help Me Rhonda, Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Sail Plane Song, the alternate 'Breakaway' (think I like that more than the official version).  Have to say, just that little rough demo of Barnyard being played to a DJ - there's a vitality there that's missing from BWPS.  Yeah, a great listen from start to finish, even the one or two things I'm less keen on, it's all of interest. 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 04:51:32 AM »

Good really but don't like the title cut and needs to put in chronological order. Surfer Girl mix was not really essential. Loved the Dennis stuff and Soulful, Sailplaine etc. Loop De Loop isn't as good here as the 1970 cut
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 06:08:12 AM »

I always hear that the Break away-demo was Brian doing all the parts himself, but on my cd he is only doing one, maybe two voices and nothing else. It sounds really good but this is no complete Lead-and backgroundvocal version. I have the version with the orange cover, is there another mix on the one with the white cover? BTW, what is the difference between these two?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 01:11:41 AM »

I always hear that the Break away-demo was Brian doing all the parts himself, but on my cd he is only doing one, maybe two voices and nothing else. It sounds really good but this is no complete Lead-and backgroundvocal version. I have the version with the orange cover, is there another mix on the one with the white cover? BTW, what is the difference between these two?

Rocker, I have the orange one too. Basically, I think the first intial pressing of Endless Harmony had a different mix of California Girls which Brian didn't like, and one of the radio promos was completely different than what was printed on the track listing. This was changed on the second pressing (also in an orange cover). I think the white cover was basically an Amercian release which is exactly the same as the second orange (proper) release.

(EDIT) I found this on the 'net for those interested, I wasn't far off ...

Here's what was new about the 2000 version (white cover version):

From The Beach Boys FAQ
1. Completely new artwork to match the artwork for the VHS/DVD companion documentary. It is a picture of all six Beach Boys sitting in and on a yellow car, with an orange tree and palm tree as well as the ocean in the background.

2. The same corrected "Radio Concert Promo 1" as Version #2.

3. Track #4, the Live 1966 concert medley has been sped up slightly. However, it appears that it is in fact the first two versions of the cd that has this running at the correct speed.The track is also included in its entirety; part of the chatter before the song starts was edited out on versions 1 and 2.

4. Track #5 has been changed to a vocals-only mix of "Surfer Girl" as opposed to a "Binaural Mix" (instruments on one channel, vocals on the other) that appeared on the previous versions.

5. Tracks #7 and #8, the stereo remixes for "Kiss Me Baby" and "California Girls," have been remixed yet again from their appearance as stereo mixes on the first versions of the CD. Many report that this Version 3 of the disc features the vocals noticably out of sync on "California Girls."

6. Track #10, the "Heroes and Villains" demo, is edited differently featuring a cold beginning as opposed to a fade up. There are also other slight sonic and editing differences throughout the track.

7. Track #14, the live 1980 version of "Darlin'," is a different mix. Versions 1 and 2 of the CD feature the mix of the song after overdubs, while the newer Version 3 features a mix without any additional overdubs.

8. The bridge between Track #14 and 15 is silent, as opposed to the way the two tracks were cross-faded on the first two versions of the CD.

9. Some report that Track #16, the early version of "Do It Again," has been subjected to some sort of rechanneled stereo processing. But this one is up for debate.

As you can see it kind of comes down to personal preference. I have one of the '98 versions and enjoy it, but I will probably pick up the newer one too someday for the differences.

There are also two different variations on the '98 versions each having a different "Radio Concert Promo 1" track.

Click here for more detailed info...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-26819.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:23:00 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 08:07:39 AM »

Thanks Zander !!
What about "Break away" ? The booklet says that Brian did all voices on it, yet I only hear him singing two or three...

- Jack Rieley
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 08:14:23 AM »

Unsure on that one, as a matter of fact I was listening to Unsurpassed Masters Friends / 20/20 last night. I had the Break Away sessions on, and in my opinion (I may be wrong) I'm sure there were more Brian bg vox on that thanwere on the Endless Harmony release? I think Alan Boyd or Aeijtzsche will have a better idea as to what the score was...?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:24:36 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
thomasogg
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:42 PM »

A nice compilation, but would've prefered more unreleased material than yet more alternate versions of established tracks..
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »

A nice compilation, but would've prefered more unreleased material than yet more alternate versions of established tracks..

You nailed it. What would I give for "America the beautiful".

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »

You nailed it. What would I give for "America the beautiful".

yea i heard a snipped on the dvd but love to hear to whole song from their concert. Think its 80s
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 09:39:25 AM »

It always bugged me that the songs aren't in chronological order, they just kind of 'jump around'...but I still absolutely love it. Especially for the Dennis tracks. It's worth a 5 from me just for that reason.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »

I'm giving it a four.
Apparently, I have the first version(the white cover) as I have the binaural mix of surfergirl...I'm a bit disappointed--the mix of Kiss Me Baby is awesome--is the second mix better or just slightly different? Anyway, I love that mix, and I love most of the "new" songs.

Not a big fan of the last two songs, but I'm glad I have them and have heard them--they have their own minor charm. Brian's back is cheesey as all get out, but damn if it doesn't stick in your head; most of Endless Harmony sounds like wanna-be Paul Simon, but I do like it.

More unreleased songs would be nice!  And more quality stereo remixes!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:25:42 AM by lance » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 04:18:41 AM »

I'm giving it a four.
Apparently, I have the first version(the white cover) as I have the binaural mix of surfergirl...

Actually the white cover is the second version, the first version is orange, and they both have binaural Surfer Girl
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »

Oh, OK. Cool.
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »

I gave it a 5.  My favorite tracks are Brian's Back, Barbara, Soulful Old Man Sunshine, and Dennis' radio promo.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 08:46:44 AM »

so, should i get the white or orange one?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx