gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:38:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone think Brian Wilson was continuing Smile work after May 1967?  (Read 6763 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »

I ask because the Smile structure style was continuing in fits and starts in later 1967 and 1968 at least, with Cool Cool Water, Can't Wait Too Long, Time to Get Alone (the Hawthorne BB version) and Old Man River, maybe as parts to an eventual new whole. After all, Pete Townshend's Lifehouse dream didn't end with the release of Who's Next, he continued to conceive songs for that project years later.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »

I ask because the Smile structure style was continuing in fits and starts in later 1967 and 1968 at least, with Cool Cool Water, Can't Wait Too Long, Time to Get Alone (the Hawthorne BB version) and Old Man River, maybe as parts to an eventual new whole. After all, Pete Townshend's Lifehouse dream didn't end with the release of Who's Next, he continued to conceive songs for that project years later.
Someone was continuing it 10 years later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INlryNFsm-0
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:04:12 AM »

Not sure that BW would have consciously been thinking of them as part of the SMiLE project as we might envisage it… we have the benefit of hindsight to clump those and other tunes into a sort of SMiLE-style grab-bag… personally I'd add Fall Breaks and Diamond Head.

Gotta bear in mind that resemblances might be down to the fact that it was the same guy putting them together – ie, it's more BW's personal touch than a SMiLE touch, as such.  That said, his resurrection of Surf's Up during the Wild Honey sessions is interesting and there is evidence to suggest a 10-track SMiLE was on the cards at some stage after the project itself was cancelled.  So who knows?  Only BW…

“We live in divisive times.”
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:16:21 AM »

Firstly, I don't believe that Townshend was carrying around LIFEHOUSE ideas around post '71 -- despite his insistence and the post-mortem inclusion of the '78 tracks to the radio and performance piece.

I think that Brian's "continuance" of SMILE post "Da Da" was informed in all of his progressive (AOR) works as mentioned above.

It's interesting to note that it was speed that initially fueled that strain of work and coke that destroyed it.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »

I don't think so. He later used and/or recycled some SMiLE/SMiLE-era songs which was nothing unusual.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »

apparently Brian included titles like Diamond Head and Time To Get Alone when the initial SMiLE setlist was being drawn up in '03

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »

apparently Brian included titles like Diamond Head and Time To Get Alone when the initial SMiLE setlist was being drawn up in '03

Nope... but the person who drew up the list did.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

… and didn't BW strike them off?

“We live in divisive times.”
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »

hmm... interesting.
either way, the fact that Brian recorded an altered version of Surf's Up during the Wild Honey sessions proves that he was still working on the material well after May
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 07:28:12 PM »

Yeah, he continued through that summer and called it Smiley Smile.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »

hmm... interesting.
either way, the fact that Brian recorded an altered version of Surf's Up during the Wild Honey sessions proves that he was still working on the material well after May

Brian recording "Surf's Up" during the Wild Honey sessions doesn't prove anything, other than that he wanted to record the song.  Not everything he recorded necessarily had a purpose beyond just messing around or seeing how something would sound for his own personal satisfaction.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »

the fact that he altered the chords proves that the song was still a work in progress
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »

Is the Wild Honey version of Surf's Up on MIC ??
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »

Yes, on the 6th disc, track 25.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:37:38 PM »

It says it's a new mix, but I can't honestly hear anything different. Well, other than the added reverb.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:07 PM »

It says it's a new mix, but I can't honestly hear anything different. Well, other than the added reverb.
I believe it was autotuned as well for some reason.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 11:52:31 PM »

New mix ? There's two elements to that song, voice and piano. I guess you can mix the one louder that the other, but that's more balance than mix.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 11:53:31 PM »

Someone was continuing it 10 years later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INlryNFsm-0
That's awesome that you acknowledge as Smile like, I totally agree with you!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 12:01:30 AM »

That was Darien, right? Why did he include those songs? Wasn't Sail on Sailor included as well? Any other songs we're forgetting?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »

I believe it was autotuned as well for some reason.

There's absolutely no auto-tune whatsoever. I've complained about a few mixes on MIC myself, but I think people are getting a little carried away when they start hearing auto-tune on a piano/vocals-only Surf's Up demo...
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 01:46:27 AM »

Well, they definitely autotuned parts of the "Be With Me" demo on MIC, so...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »

That was Darien, right? Why did he include those songs? Wasn't Sail on Sailor included as well? Any other songs we're forgetting?

No "SO,S", at least on the list I saw. I recall being told (by the legendary SWWK*) that Darian listed all the titles with reputed Smile connections, then got Brian to yea or nay them... hence the absence of "DH" and "TTGA" (which was performed in the first set of the 2004 London shows... rather badly).

[* - Someone Who Would Know]

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 01:58:20 AM »

What??? Can you please pinpoint exactly where and when, with specific time(s) please?
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 02:11:04 AM »

Hm, I'm not really wholly convinced Brian was continuing work on "Smile" after May.  His "Wild Honey" recording of Surf's Up doesn't really prove anything other than he probably felt like playing it again, and even though he altered chords etc. doesn't prove much either.  I know if I'm in the studio I will often play a composition or two that I wrote a few years earlier "just because" and I often alter chords and melodies just for the heck of it!  I'm guessing that is what Brian was doing when he recorded this later version, and not because he considered "Smile" to still be a work in progress.  Just my two cents on the topic!

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 03:20:06 AM »

What??? Can you please pinpoint exactly where and when, with specific time(s) please?
I can hear it at little places all over that track, but it's particularly evident at 1:55 ("a part of me") where the note shifts so much, so quickly and unnaturally that Dennis sounds like T pain.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx