gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:52:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 3324 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »

Do you feel its acceptable for musicians to recycle their own material? Does it make you like or respect an album less when you know that some of the songs were written years before the others? Does it even matter?

I recently bought Lou Reed's 1975 album Coney Island Baby. One of its songs, "She's My Best Friend," is a rerecording of a song Lou wrote and recorded (but did not release) for The Velvet Underground six years before. While it fits in well on the album, its presence feels like the result of laziness rather than inspiration. I actually find it annoying that the song exists as both a VU and Lou Reed solo track.

I have similar thoughts about Brian's reuse of old Joe Thomas collaborations for TWGMTR. I would much rather hear where Brian was in 2012 than in 1998.

There is just something troubling about recycling.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:33:33 PM by Gabo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »

I don't really mind recycling.

To be fair, the artist had to write whatever was recycled, so it's still their creation.
Besides, at that point, they pretty much have the right to do whatever they want with it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:25:39 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »

It used to bug me until I realized that all the great composers did it too, so why not?
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 04:14:53 AM »

it all depends.

If it's done well, then i don't mind. If not, then yes.

A good song is a good song.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:13:20 AM »

I love it. A song is part of the artist's canon, regardless of when and under what name it was released. A lot of Neil Young's 70's albums did this and they feel stronger for it, more often than not. Absolutely nothing wrong with recycling, especially if the original was never released. Might as well turn it into something new than save it for a rainy day when you need a quick outtakes compilation to earn a few bucks.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »

Mozart had a notebook he would write melodies in wherever he happened to be. When occasion arose that he needed one, he would go to his notebook often times. Nuttin' wrong wit dat.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

Lou Reed went back many times to songs he wrote in his Velvet Underground days on his earlier solo LPs.   His first album in particular -- "I Can't Stand It," "Lisa Says'" Ride into the Sun," "Walk it and Talk It," "Wild Child," "I Love You," "Love Makes You Feel," and "Ocean" all harken back.  On "Berlin" -- "Oh Jim" and  "Caroline Says" as rewrites, also " Men of Good Fortune" and "Sad Song."  On "Transformer" You have "Andy's Chest," "Satellite of Love," "Good Night Ladies," and "New York Telephone Conversation."  "Rock and Roll Heart" has "Ladies Pay" and "Follow the Leader."  And finally on "Street Hassle" there is "Real Good Time Together."

I guess if your going to mine your past, the Velvet Underground is as good as it gets!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:27:25 PM »

Do you feel its acceptable for musicians to recycle their own material? Does it make you like or respect an album less when you know that some of the songs were written years before the others? Does it even matter?

I recently bought Lou Reed's 1975 album Coney Island Baby. One of its songs, "She's My Best Friend," is a rerecording of a song Lou wrote and recorded (but did not release) for The Velvet Underground six years before. While it fits in well on the album, its presence feels like the result of laziness rather than inspiration. I actually find it annoying that the song exists as both a VU and Lou Reed solo track.

I have similar thoughts about Brian's reuse of old Joe Thomas collaborations for TWGMTR. I would much rather hear where Brian was in 2012 than in 1998.

There is just something troubling about recycling.

Personally, i love it when they recycle songs.  I'm a businessman and have a lot of respect for businessmen.  I also appreciate the time and effort it takes to finally complete a song, find a place for it, and release it to the world.  I can see how some people could get offended by it,.... but my personal view of art and how an artist would think... I have a lot of respect for an artist who takes a song they did 30 years ago or whatever, and says "f***, i'm releasing this, because it's good enough to be released and I want to do something with it".  I really can appreciate that. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 05:28:04 AM »

Recycling can be disappointing. When the artist uses songs written years back to the new album alongside the newly written songs, it can mean the past material is used to fill the gaps in the half-new album. I.e. they didn't care to spend significant time to write fully new album. They did overdubs, ofc, which takes time, sure, but it still isn't the same as writing songs from scratch.
That said, if you listen & like the album with recycled songs, you may disregard that fact & enjoy the listening. Many people, many views.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »

I think it's worth keeping in mind that we're considering a world in which we have access to the artist's original (draft) versions and so we know what is being recycled. That's only true in the modern world where we get boots and the artist sticks around long enough for those to circulate. But in reality, without the booting of material, we'd usually have no idea what is recycled and what isn't. So at that point it's a whole different conversation: perceived quality of the released material in its released context only. If what turns out to be recycled is worse, we'd dislike it; and vice versa.

The only time I have a real problem with it is if we broaden the definition of recycling and rather than talk about saving songs for a rainy day, instead talk about artists reusing ideas and general aesthetics of music they have already released. Like "Song X did well, so we'll write Song X+1," which is a blatant self-ripoff. That's dull. But if Song X was written and not released, why not release it when the time seems right?

Would we rather never have the songs released?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx