gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:43:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today's Mainstream Music  (Read 51329 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

Your generation (retrokid67) is no different than any previous generation. The vast majority of young people inherently have no concept of much beyond their immediate experience. Further, they don't care much about music other than as a tool for social affiliation and enjoyment. Fans of the bands you mention as timeless, like the Beatles, no doubt mocked even the very bands they venerated (such as Elvis, Buddy Holly) as being old-fashioned, pointless, out of touch, uncool, etc. There is nothing unique to current adolescents, ever, any more than there is to the majority of adults who behave inversely, immediately dismissing the new out of hand as not meeting the standards of their version of classics.

The truth is in between.

The benefit the classics have is that by the time they are considered classic, it is that enough time has passed to make it easy to tell. The current scene of any previous era was full of sh*t; people just don't remember, care, or talk about it anymore. There will be stone classics from the present, just as there always are from every single time period. You just need distance.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 05, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »

That's one of the things that make me ashamed of my generation.

Incredibly asinine thing to say.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »

I really don't understand why people get offended or outraged when others don't get passionately interested in music.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 05, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »

word

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »

doesn't music kind of reflect the times we're living in or is that some made up assumption?

I guess that's true.
But this means that it won't age well. Like in say, 20-30 years time, the top singles of the last few years, whether it be Gangnam Style by one-hit wonder Psy, or some of the unlistenable electronic dubstep crap that's inexplicably more popular than Rock now, would either be forgotten or looked back as old or outdated.

Only those that have stood the test of time, such as the Beatles, will be remembered as classics

If Music DOES represent the times we live in, that still doesn't excuse it being crap.  I've been around a bit and looking back, the 2000's was basically a wasted decade, nothing of note happened.  The 90's weren't much better either, and we're not really off to a great start since 2010...

The stuff in the 50's,60's,70's, and to an extent the 80's, was able to do a lot of stuff that hadn't been done before.  They still want to do new stuff, but the only things that haven't been done sound like the bullshit Rhianna and Lil Wayne are doing. 

In 1983 U2's sound was new, and hadn't been done, and sounded great.  In 1973 Crosby Stills and Nash's sound was new and hadn't been done before, sounded great.  In 1965 the Stones' sound was new and and hadn't been done before, sounded great.

In 2010 Lil' Wayne's sound was new and hadn't been done before.... sounded like sh*t.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »

The benefit the classics have is that by the time they are considered classic, it is that enough time has passed to make it easy to tell. The current scene of any previous era was full of sh*t; people just don't remember, care, or talk about it anymore. There will be stone classics from the present, just as there always are from every single time period. You just need distance.

I've often wondered, too, if we don't hold the old sh*t up as 'classic' because time, and the oldies channels, has forgotten all the SHITTY music that came out back then too.  I mean maybe for every Everly Brothers there were 10 acts that were god awful. 

My dad used to tell me how he signed up for a record club, and the first record they sent him was Dominique the singing Nun.  He said he couldn't believe people were listening to that crap. 

I'd bet that there were a lot of unsuccessful acts back then that were pretty horrible, but we've forgotten them.... and for the Justin Bieber's back in the day there were guys like Fabian. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »

Your generation (retrokid67) is no different than any previous generation. The vast majority of young people inherently have no concept of much beyond their immediate experience. Further, they don't care much about music other than as a tool for social affiliation and enjoyment. Fans of the bands you mention as timeless, like the Beatles, no doubt mocked even the very bands they venerated (such as Elvis, Buddy Holly) as being old-fashioned, pointless, out of touch, uncool, etc. There is nothing unique to current adolescents, ever, any more than there is to the majority of adults who behave inversely, immediately dismissing the new out of hand as not meeting the standards of their version of classics.

The truth is in between.

How can the Beatles call Buddy Holly old-fashioned, pointless, out of touch and uncool if he had died before the Beatles were even formed?
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 05, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »

doesn't music kind of reflect the times we're living in or is that some made up assumption?

I guess that's true.
But this means that it won't age well. Like in say, 20-30 years time, the top singles of the last few years, whether it be Gangnam Style by one-hit wonder Psy, or some of the unlistenable electronic dubstep crap that's inexplicably more popular than Rock now, would either be forgotten or looked back as old or outdated.

Only those that have stood the test of time, such as the Beatles, will be remembered as classics

If Music DOES represent the times we live in, that still doesn't excuse it being crap.  I've been around a bit and looking back, the 2000's was basically a wasted decade, nothing of note happened.  The 90's weren't much better either, and we're not really off to a great start since 2010...

The stuff in the 50's,60's,70's, and to an extent the 80's, was able to do a lot of stuff that hadn't been done before.  They still want to do new stuff, but the only things that haven't been done sound like the bullshit Rhianna and Lil Wayne are doing. 

In 1983 U2's sound was new, and hadn't been done, and sounded great.  In 1973 Crosby Stills and Nash's sound was new and hadn't been done before, sounded great.  In 1965 the Stones' sound was new and and hadn't been done before, sounded great.

In 2010 Lil' Wayne's sound was new and hadn't been done before.... sounded like sh*t.

I hear you  Smiley

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #283 on: February 05, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »

word

I meant in terms of music tastes and ideas, I'm ashamed of my generation
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 05, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »

The truth is in between.

How can the Beatles call Buddy Holly old-fashioned, pointless, out of touch and uncool if he had died before the Beatles were even formed?

You misunderstood what he said.  He said 'fans' of the Beatles, at the time, for a large part would have considered Buddy Holly's music (which is all he represented at the time) old-fashioned, pointless, out of touch, and uncool. 

The Beatles never would have said that themselves, and kids at the time would have considered him Old Fashioned whether he was alive or not, all they had to judge him on was his music which was light years behind the Beatles at the time. 

He's just saying that children (which is what anybody who isn't 18... is....) don't have the wisdom (since they're young) to fully contemplate how time works, they think everything before them is ancient and whatever's happening right now is the best that it's ever been.

You should find solace in the fact that he's apparently excluding you from that, since you don't identify with your own generation.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 05, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »

I really don't understand why people get offended or outraged when others don't get passionately interested in music.

Because they're so passionate about it!  Passion is the line you cross and leave logic behind. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #286 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »

The truth is in between.

You misunderstood what he said.  He said 'fans' of the Beatles, at the time, for a large part would have considered Buddy Holly's music (which is all he represented at the time) old-fashioned, pointless, out of touch, and uncool. 

The Beatles never would have said that themselves, and kids at the time would have considered him Old Fashioned whether he was alive or not, all they had to judge him on was his music which was light years behind the Beatles at the time. 

He's just saying that children (which is what anybody who isn't 18... is....) don't have the wisdom (since they're young) to fully contemplate how time works, they think everything before them is ancient and whatever's happening right now is the best that it's ever been.

You should find solace in the fact that he's apparently excluding you from that, since you don't identify with your own generation.

I guess you're right. It's strange how I've never identified with my generation, I guess it's just me and my tastes
bluesno1fann
« Reply #287 on: February 09, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »

I've said it once and I shouldn't have to say it again, please don't use that term on my thread. If you want to trash him, do it somewhere else

With all due respect, starting a thread does not grant you ownership of it. I'm tempted to use the term just to spite you (but won't). You've explained your problem with the term, reasonable people will understand and move on.

As for Michael Jackson, I think he was great throughout the '80s, at the very least, and had some moments after, but there was less I heard that struck me either as inventive or as especially catchy.

Regarding the tabloid fodder, it can stay there. That kind of magazine, tv show, website, or anything else is garbage, and the only thing worse is the fact that they remain in business because people eat that sh*t up.

you're a reasonable person and I respect that  Smiley

about the thread, I thought it was ok to say since a few weeks ago Pixletwin got mad at me and Maybe I Don't Know for flogging his thread and asked us to stop and we did.  But then again, not everyone's going to be reasonable Sad

Speaking of the Survivor rounds, how come you stopped voting on them?
At the moment there's a final round where you have to vote for either Breakaway, Soulful Old Man Sunshine or WIBNTLA. We need all the votes we can get for WIBNTLA, so it would be great if you rejoin the Survivor rounds!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »

I've said it once and I shouldn't have to say it again, please don't use that term on my thread. If you want to trash him, do it somewhere else

With all due respect, starting a thread does not grant you ownership of it. I'm tempted to use the term just to spite you (but won't). You've explained your problem with the term, reasonable people will understand and move on.

As for Michael Jackson, I think he was great throughout the '80s, at the very least, and had some moments after, but there was less I heard that struck me either as inventive or as especially catchy.

Regarding the tabloid fodder, it can stay there. That kind of magazine, tv show, website, or anything else is garbage, and the only thing worse is the fact that they remain in business because people eat that sh*t up.

about the thread, I thought it was ok to say since a few weeks ago Pixletwin got mad at me and Maybe I Don't Know for flogging his thread and asked us to stop and we did.  But then again, not everyone's going to be reasonable Sad

At the moment there's a final round where you have to vote for either Breakaway, Soulful Old Man Sunshine or WIBNTLA. We need all the votes we can get for WIBNTLA, so it would be great if you rejoin the Survivor rounds!

you're right I just needed a break from them (getting all worked up over....well you know LOL) I'll definitely vote for WIBNTLA if it's not too late  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »

you're right I just needed a break from them (getting all worked up over....well you know LOL) I'll definitely vote for WIBNTLA if it's not too late  Cheesy

At this point, it looks like Breakaway is going to win, after all WIBNTLA has just half as many votes as that  Roll Eyes.

It's madness. MADNESS I TELL YOU!!!  Old Man Thud

At this stage I'll be happy as long as it beats Shunshine, which WIBNTLA is ahead by one vote. It'll take a bloody miracle for WIBNTLA to catch up to Breakaway!

Seriously though, where are all the other Dennistas? It seems like most of them aren't voting! We need more Dennistas to vote!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »

At this point, it looks like Breakaway is going to win, after all WIBNTLA has just half as many votes as that  Roll Eyes.

At this stage I'll be happy as long as it beats Shunshine, which WIBNTLA is ahead by one vote. It'll take a bloody miracle for WIBNTLA to catch up to Breakaway!

Seriously though, where are all the other Dennistas? It seems like most of them aren't voting! We need more Dennistas to vote!

And here's the joke, the Brianistas don't want to admit that they're Brianistas isn't that something, it just seems like every time we try to uplift Denny's work here comes one or two them to bash it.  Roll Eyes

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »

And here's the joke, the Brianistas don't want to admit that they're Brianistas isn't that something, it just seems like every time we try to uplift Denny's work here comes one or two them to bash it.  Roll Eyes

A lot of them do admit to being Brianistas. Such as Smile Brian.
But yeah, a lot are in denial.

Now at the time of writing, it's a tie again between Shunshine and WIBNTLA. Damn....

It really is a shame that there are so many Brianistas and even Kokomaoists and barely any Dennistas. But at least we Dennistas are a small minority and accept all the other's work as long as they're great, something the others find hard to do.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 09, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »

Now at the time of writing, it's a tie again between Shunshine and WIBNTLA. Damn....

It really is a shame that there are so many Brianistas and even Kokomaoists and barely any Dennistas. But at least we Dennistas are a small minority and accept all the other's work as long as they're great, something the others find hard to do.

exactly, yet to them they think we have an "us against them" mentality  LOL I love Brian but he's not the only member of the group that can write a great song, too bad some people have to be simple minded  Roll Eyes

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »

exactly, yet to them they think we have an "us against them" mentality  LOL I love Brian but he's not the only member of the group that can write a great song, too bad some people have to be simple minded  Roll Eyes

Yeah. Like lately I'm really getting into Carl's music, especially his early-70's work.
Maybe it's because the Brianistas and Kokomaoists consider the pre-Pet Sounds work as the golden nuggets of the BB's discography, they disregard later, brilliant work that are not written or by Brian or Mike for the Kokomaoists.
Just because Denny, and Carl or Al or anyone else's best work came later, doesn't mean they can't be held in high regard like Brian's, especially in the case of Dennis.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »

This is preposterous.

Because people like one song more than another, it means they're a Brianista? Or Dennista? Or a Carlista? Or a Kokamoaist? Or a Bruce...ist? Or a Jar-head? (I just made that one up.)

Not everything fits into tiny boxes that you create. I like "Soulful Old Man Sunshine," that makes me a Brianista?
Hell, maybe the reason I like it is because Carl is my favorite Beach Boy and I love his singing on the track.

I feel like SOMS is better than WIBNTLA. Now I hate Dennis, apparently.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 09, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »

hahaha, jarhead  Grin nice one

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »

This is preposterous.

Because people like one song more than another, it means they're a Brianista? Or Dennista? Or a Carlista? Or a Kokamoaist? Or a Bruce...ist? Or a Jar-head? (I just made that one up.)

Not everything fits into tiny boxes that you create. I like "Soulful Old Man Sunshine," that makes me a Brianista?
Hell, maybe the reason I like it is because Carl is my favorite Beach Boy and I love his singing on the track.

if you're an open minded person then you shouldn't be offended, we're talking about the close minded people I love SOMS too
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:14:00 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »

This is preposterous.

Carlista. Not bad, Bubbly Waves.
FTR, Bruce fans are known as Brupublicans. Though the only Brupublican I can think of is Juice Bronston  LOL
There's also the Marks Mafia and the Flamers if you're favourite Beach Boys is either Blondie or Ricky.

I'm not sure what fans of Al are called, but I guess Carl fans can be called Carlista. Congrats Bubbly, you're the first Carlista. How does it feel?
Also, Shunshine was written by Brian, so...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #298 on: February 09, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »

This is preposterous.

if you're an open minded person then you shouldn't be offended, we're talking about the close minded people I love SOMS too

Agreed. Shunshine is a pretty good song, and it definitely deserved to make it to the finals.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 09, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »

This is preposterous.

Agreed. Shunshine is a pretty good song, and it definitely deserved to make it to the finals.

That's right, so Bubbly Waves take note that we don't just like Denny songs  Grin

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx