gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley's live Memphis album - Legacy release  (Read 10097 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »

It looks like his '74 live album "Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" gets a Legacy release this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Recorded-Memphis-Legacy-Edition/dp/tracks/B00HQLZC7C/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Elvis' shows in Memphis in March 1974 were the first concerts he gave in his hometown since 1961.
To release another live album was an odd choice as in '72 the album "As recorded at Madison Square Garden" was released and a big success. An even bigger success was his '73 live album "Aloha from Hawaii" which went all the way to No. 1. So, for whatever reason there were discussions of recording another live album at the Houston Astrodome earlier in March '74 but Presley made clear he wanted to record it at the Memphis shows. "I wanted to record a live session in my hometown in Memphis", said Presley.
The show used on the album was the last of the Memphis concerts in March. At this time Elvis was in fine voice and clearly had fun on stage. Some of the tragedies of '73 (his drug addiction becoming very, very serious, including an overdose that nearly killed him in the middle of the year) seemed to be forgotten for a while. He sounds fresh, sure older compared to '70 or even '72, but strong and in control. He had changed his setlist around. The album features an edit of the show so that not too many songs that appeared on the earlier live albums were repeated.

This is the original tracklisting:

1. See See Rider   
 2. I Got A Woman   
 3. Love Me   
 4. Trying To Get To You   
 5. Medley: Long Tall Sally, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Your Mama Don't Dance, Flip Flop and Fly, Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog
 6. Why Me Lord   
 7. How Great Thou Art   
 8. Medley: Blueberry Hill/I can't stop loving you
 9. Help Me   
10. An American Trilogy   
11. Let Me Be There
12. My Baby Left Me   
13. Lawdy Miss Clawdy   
14. Can't Help Falling In Love   
15. Closing-Vamp

- the "Also sprach Zarathustra"-opening wasn't used on the record, so it starts with Ronnie Tutt's drum roll.
- Jerry Scheff had left the band and Elvis now used Duke Bardwell on bass
- the recording of "How great thou art" on this album won Elvis his third Grammy
- the original album featured fake audience noise to emphasize the real sound. I don't know why. Imo it was a wrong decision
- Elvis never recorded a complete version of "Your Mama don't dance"
- Presley sang "Flip, flop and fly" during his first national television appearance (click for video) on the Dorsey Bros. stage Show in 1956 in a medley with "Shake, rattle and roll". He also sang "I got a woman" on the show
- the year before he had just recorded three albums at Memphis' Stax studios of which he sings "Help me" on this album
- the art work used shots of his Graceland mansion on the front and the famous gates on the back
- the official collector label "Follow that dream" released the whole show on CD and LP

Personally, I like the album very much. It gets some bashing from some people, others like it. You can clearly sense the change Presley (and his show) had made since '69 but that doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. The fake audience sounds are the weakest part of the record and at times they really sound ridiculous. But all in all it is a nice rocking, entertaining and interesting album with Elvis in good spirits.

FTD also released the concert in Richmond from March 18th 1974 as "48 hours to Memphis". Listen to the complete album here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va017IrVtkA

Also on FTD are the shows from March 1st and June 21st as "Sold out". Listen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpBg9x8zrV4

His first Memphis show has only been released on bootleg. Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHP8iCFt1k

Learn more about the March tour here: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/ccshowrev37.html

Some infos taken from Mike Eder's Elvis Music FAQ: All That's Left to Know About the Kings Recorded Works

Pictures of the concert taken from http://www.elvisconcerts.com/ http://www.elvis-collectors.com/ccshowrev37.html and http://www.commercialappeal.com

The covers showed up via Google
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:43:34 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »

This is going to be a good release. Always loved the original album, especially after reading all the critics saying Elvis was washed up by '74. I listened to this, and my ears told me that the old man was sounding very good!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »

Thanks for this news.  Grin I was going to go trolling through e-bay to get a used copy, but I guess I'll just wait until this is out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »

Definetly getting this.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »

Odd - the response here is a lot more enthusiastic that over on the Elvis forum I frequent. They are never pleased with anything, grumble about every release from Sony or FTD.  Huh
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »

Odd - the response here is a lot more enthusiastic that over on the Elvis forum I frequent. They are never pleased with anything, grumble about every release from Sony or FTD.  Huh

I think as long as we don't know the content we can't say anything about the release. I'm not sure if the tracklist on amazon is legit.
I think one thing that kinda disturbs me is that (just as it was done last year with the Stax sessions) they try to make something big and a milestone out of something that wasn't that. We have to see what the promotion for the Memphis-concert will be like but I'm afraid it will go into that direction.
On the other hand the Legacy releases all seem to be of high quality and I am for everything that puts Elvis' work into the spotlight. He was a great artist and the '74 live album imo is a strong outing. In fact '74 and '75 had some high points in his concert careere.
I'm looking forward to this. I'd love if they would use the unreleased Memphis show for this release. And I think the original mix should also be part of this.

EDIT:

I just heard some inof, but I don't know if it is true.
It says that the first CD will feature the complete Memphis-show, the second the concert in Richmond on March 18th (see my first post in this thread).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:09:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 07:23:48 AM »

Okay, found some info on the FECC-forum. Apart from some historical inaccuraties in the text, it gives the content.
I guess the missing of "Blueberry hill/I can't stop loving you" is just a mistake.

RCA/Legacy Recordings Set to Release 40th Anniversary 2CD Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis, the King of Rock’s Triumphant 1974 Hometown Return Concert

Newly Remastered Album Includes All Concert Tracks Not Included on Original Vinyl

2nd Disc Premieres Previously Unreleased MONO “Test Run” of Entire Concert Recorded with a Live Audience at the Richmond Coliseum on March 18, 1974

RCA Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis with an expanded 2CD release of the monumental concert experience featuring tracks left off the original album (because of the spatial limitations of vinyl) plus a wealth of previously unreleased material.

Disc 2 of the newly remastered expanded Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis presents for the first time a recently located recording of Elvis’ complete concert “test run” held for an ecstatic live audience on March 18, 1974, two days before his historic concert return to Memphis, where he’d last played live in 1957.  The remarkable “test run” performance was recorded in MONO, drenched in the reverb Elvis preferred, and provides new insight into the magic of Elvis.

As a special added bonus for Elvis aficionados, Disc 2 of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis includes five intimate tracks (three of them previously unreleased) cut at the RCA Studios in Hollywood on August 16, 1974. Originally intended as reference recordings for an upcoming Las Vegas engagement, the performances—which include “Down In The Alley,” “Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues,” “Softly As I Leave You,” “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” and “The Twelfth Of Never”—-provide a rare fly-on-the-wall glimpse into Elvis’ consummate backstage artistry as he prepares these songs for concert.

The musicians backing Elvis on Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis include James Burton and John Wilkinson (guitars); Charlie Hodge (guitar and vocals); Duke Bardwell (bass); Ronnie Tutt (drums); Glen D. Hardin (piano); The Sweet Inspirations, J.D. Sumner & The Stamps, Kathy Westmoreland (vocals) with Joe Guercio and his Orchestra.

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis will include a 24 page booklet featuring rare photos, previously unseen memorabilia, new liner notes, press clips and more.

Following the artistic success of his 1973 Stax sessions and the global phenomenon of the Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite album and broadcast the same year, Elvis opened 1974 with a 15 city tour routed to end in Memphis and a state-of-the-art concert recording.

“I wanted to record a live session in my hometown of Memphis,” said Elvis at the time.  “After all, this is where it all started out for me.”

Originally released on vinyl on July 7, 1974, Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis reached #1 on the Country charts and featured “How Great Thou Art,” the track that would bring Elvis his third (and third Gospel) Grammy win.

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (Legacy Edition)

Label: Legacy / Sony
Release: 18 March 2014

Disc 1

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
All Shook Up (not included on original album)
Steamroller Blues (not included on original album)
Teddy Bear-Don’t Be Cruel (not included on original album)
Love Me Tender (not included on original album)
Long Tall Sally-Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On-Mama Don’t Dance-Flip, Flop And Fly-Jailhouse Rock-Hound Dog
Fever (not included on original album)
Polk Salad Annie (not included on original album)
Why Me Lord
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds (not included on original album)
Introductions (not included on original album)
Help Me
An American Trilogy
Let Me Be There
My Baby Left Me
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy (not included on original album)
Funny How Time Slips Away (not included on original album)
Can’t Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Disc 2

The Richmond “Test Run” Concert – previously unreleased

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Trying To Get To You
All Shook Up
Steamroller Blues
Teddy Bear-Don’t Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Long Tall Sally-Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On-Mama Don’t Dance-Flip, Flop And Fly-Jailhouse Rock-Hound Dog
Fever
Polk Salad Annie
Why Me Lord
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds
Introductions
Help Me
An American Trilogy
Let Me Be There
My Baby Left Me
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
Funny How Time Slips Away
Can’t Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Recorded live March 18, 1974 at the Coliseum, Richmond

The August 1974 RCA Rehearsal

Down In The Alley (previously unreleased)
Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues (previously unreleased)
Softly As I Leave You
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (previously unreleased)
The Twelfth Of Never

Source: http://www.bluesmagazine.nl/40th-anniversary-2cd-edition-elvis-recorded-live-stage-memphis/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:28:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »

Odd - the response here is a lot more enthusiastic that over on the Elvis forum I frequent. They are never pleased with anything, grumble about every release from Sony or FTD.  Huh

Well to be fair...FECC is a hardcore Elvis fan board.  They (or shall I say we, since I also frequent there often) care about more tedious details than most other fans like the ones found elsewhere (like here).  So it makes perfect sense for FECC to be more critical after all---they know better.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »

I don't usually post in the Elvis threads, but I am a big fan.  I am an oldster, and grew up in Northern Louisiana (Monroe, 100 miles east of Shreveport - home of the Hay Ride).  Those shows played on the radio for years after the fact.  I'm old, but not old enough to have seen them live.  Living close to Memphis had real advantages, The Box Tops used to play often at the VFW Hall, for one.  Even after they hit it big with The Letter, they would come back to play the Civic Center.  Elvis had a lot of great songs in the 60's, and I would sit through the (mostly horrible) movies to watch him do the numbers.    But my favorite Elvis period is the post movie years.  Love his Vegas shows and got the re-vamped deluxe MSG release, the big Vegas CD set and the Vegas DVD.
This looks great.  Ronnie is one of my top five drummers.  Man he could rock with Elvis.  I love to watch him play.  Elvis went up a notch when he hired the TCB band.  Jerry is missed.
Glad they are giving us the complete show.  And the "extra" show. 
Thanks for posting all the info Rocker, I had not heard about it. 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »

I don't usually post in the Elvis threads, but I am a big fan.  I am an oldster, and grew up in Northern Louisiana (Monroe, 100 miles east of Shreveport - home of the Hay Ride).  Those shows played on the radio for years after the fact.  I'm old, but not old enough to have seen them live.  Living close to Memphis had real advantages, The Box Tops used to play often at the VFW Hall, for one.  Even after they hit it big with The Letter, they would come back to play the Civic Center.  Elvis had a lot of great songs in the 60's, and I would sit through the (mostly horrible) movies to watch him do the numbers.    But my favorite Elvis period is the post movie years.  Love his Vegas shows and got the re-vamped deluxe MSG release, the big Vegas CD set and the Vegas DVD.
This looks great.  Ronnie is one of my top five drummers.  Man he could rock with Elvis.  I love to watch him play.  Elvis went up a notch when he hired the TCB band.  Jerry is missed.
Glad they are giving us the complete show.  And the "extra" show. 
Down in Louisiana, where the alligators grow so mean...sorry, it just popped into my head, reading your post....I love the Memphis 74 show. It was the first live album to feature him singing some of his gospel songs - we're always told it was his favorite music, odd that he didn't make it more a part of his concerts earlier on. Sounds like he's in a good mood, the band is good as always, and the audience is in the palm of his hands.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »

It's my pleasure!

In the meantime there will be two new releases on FTD.

His second album:

'ELVIS PRESLEY' - This 2-disc 7" set Celebrates Elvis' Legendary 2nd album that quickly outsold his debut album. The 16-page booklet features great photographs taken from the photo session held in February 1956. Also featured is an In and Outtakes section.
The album includes every known outtake from the Labor-Day sessions.
CD 2 features the historic live concert from Hirsch Coliseum - Youth Center, Louisiana State Fairgrounds, Shreveport, December 15, 1956.
Although a "Classic Album" release of Elvis' second album is needed from FTD sadly none of the material is unreleased, although hopefully some will have improved audio quality.
The original album was featured on the deluxe 'Young Man With The Big Beat' release - as well as the Hirsch Coliseum, December 15, 1956 performance.

The 'Rip It Up' outtakes were however not featured on YMWTBB and instead have been spread across various releases such as 'Flashback' and 'Today, Tomorrow & Forever'.

DISC 1 - The Original Album
1 Rip It Up (1:56)
2 Love Me (2:46)
3 When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again (2:23)
4 Long Tall Sally (1:56)
5 First In Line (3:24)
6 Paralyzed (2:29)
7 So Glad You’re Mine (2:23)
8 Old Shep (4:13)
9 Ready Teddy (1:59)
10 Anyplace Is Paradise (2:28)
11 How’s The World Treating You (2:27)
12 How Do You Think I Feel (2:15)
BONUS SONGS
13 Playing For Keeps (2:56)
14 Too Much (2:37)
15 Don’t Be Cruel (2:05)
16 Hound Dog (2:18)
17 Any Way You Want Me (That’s How I Will Be) (2:14)
18 Rip It Up - takes 10-14 (3.08)
19 Rip It Up - take 15 (2.05)
20 Rip It Up - take 16 (1.59)
21 Rip It Up - take 17 (2.06)
22 Rip It Up - take 18-19M (3.53)
23 Old Shep – take 5 (4:01)

DISC 2- Recorded live at Hirsch Coliseum - Youth Center
Louisiana State Fairgrounds, Shreveport, December 15, 1956
1 Heartbreak Hotel (2:46)
2 Long Tall Sally (2:46)
3 I Was The One (2:46)
4 Love Me Tender (2:46)
5 Don’t Be Cruel (2:46)
6 Love Me (2:46)
7 I Got A Woman (2:46)
8 When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again (2:46)
9 Paralyzed (2:46)
10 Hound Dog

Musicians: Guitar: Scotty Moore, Elvis Presley; Bass: Bill Black; Drums: D.J. Fontana; Vocals: The Jordanaires

Compilation produced and art directed by Ernst Mikael Jørgensen & Roger Semon

and a two disc live release:

ELVIS - Destination USA'
Imagine… You're an Elvis Presley fan…
Imagine… It’s 1972
Imagine… You have the chance to see Elvis perform Live On Stage…
What would be your next destination?
Re-live the experience when many Elvis fans from around the world saw Elvis for the first time in Las Vegas, September 1972.
The 16-page booklet includes ‘eye-witness’ accounts from fans who actually met Elvis back stage. It features stories from fans who were there in the front-row seats including 200 member of the British Elvis Presley Fan Club. All of these great personal memories are packed together in the 7-inch 2-cd release with numerous excellent and never before seen pictures.
DISC 1 - Recorded live at The Las Vegas Hilton, September 4, 1972 – Dinner show
DISC 2 - has the following interesting tracklist
1) A Big Hunk O’ Love (02-15 Dinner), 2) Never Been To Spain (02-16 Dinner), 3) You Gave Me A Mountain (02-16 Dinner), 4) An American Trilogy (02-16 Dinner), 5) Can’t Help Falling In Love (02-16 Dinner) - From RCA Live Recordings. February 1972.
Rehearsals - 6) Something, 7) I’m Leaving, Cool Faded Love, 9) The Wonder Of You, 10) My Way, 11) I’ll Remember You, 12) It’s Over, 13) Steamroller Blues.
Sub-standard audio from cassette tape, recorded at rehearsals August 2 and 3, 1972 at The Las Vegas Hilton.
Compilation produced by Ernst Mikael Jørgensen & Roger Semon. Concept by Robert Frieser.

DISC 1 - Recorded live at The Las Vegas Hilton, September 4, 1972 – Dinner show
01. Also Sprach Zarathustra 1:19
02. See See Rider 3:16
03. Johnny B. Goode 1:44
04. Until It’s Time For You To Go 2:28
05. You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me 2:04
06. Polk Salad Annie 3:30
07. What Now My Love 4:21
08. Fever 3:29
09. Love Me 1:33
10 Blue Suede Shoes 1:05
11. Heartbreak Hotel 1:42
12. All Shook Up 1:04
13. Love Me Tender 1:51
14. Teddy Bear/Don’t Be Cruel 1:51
15. Little Sister/Get Back 2:34
16. Hound Dog 2:37
17. I’ll Remember You 2:32
18) Walk That Lonesome Road - J D Sumner & The Stamps 3:24
19. Suspicious Minds 4:34
20. Introductions: Presentation of: The British fan club 1:44
21. For The Good Times 3:12
22) A Big Hunk O’ Love 2:03
23. You Gave Me A Mountain 3:25
24. Can't Help Falling In Love 2:13

Disc 1 mastered by Sebastian Jeansson

DISC 2
01. A Big Hunk O’ Love (02-15 Dinner) 2:01
02. Never Been To Spain (02-16 Dinner) 3:35
03. You Gave Me A Mountain (02-16 Dinner) 3:15
04. An American Trilogy (02-16 Dinner) 4:45
05. Can’t Help Falling In Love (02-16 Dinner) 2:06
From RCA Live Recordings. February 1972.

06. Something 3:30
07. I’m Leaving 3:21
08. Faded Love 3:47
09. The Wonder Of You 2:25
10. My Way 5:01
11. I’ll Remember You 2:45
12. It’s Over 2:11 (Jimmie Rodgers)
13. Steamroller Blues (James Taylor)

Sub-standard audio from cassette tape, recorded at rehearsals August 2 and 3, 1972 at The Las Vegas Hilton.

Compilation produced by Ernst Mikael Jørgensen & Roger Semon. Concept by Robert Frieser.
Mastered by Jan Eliasson at Audio Planet
A&R on the RCA recordings: Felton Jarvis
Engineer on the original RCA recordings: Al Pachucki

Infos taken from the FECC-Forum
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:38:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 10:27:24 PM »

I've pre-ordered both of them FTDs!!!

So, this Legacy Edition of Memphis bests the FTD.  The FTD wasn't warmly received, was it??  Nevertheless, this Legacy set is probably the better -- especially given the second disc.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 02:20:32 AM »

Someone at the FECC forum posted this link to where you can listen to a short preview. Doesn't work for me but maybe some of you can.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/elvis-recorded-live-on-stage/id816152729

EDIT:

Also on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Recorded-Stage-Memphis-Legacy/dp/B00IBG2DN2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392977406&sr=8-2&keywords=elvis+recorded+live+on+stage+in+memphis
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:21:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 05:17:49 AM »

The vack cover is now also up on amazon:

Plus this:

Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis, this Legacy Edition presents an expanded 2CD release of the monumental complete concert experience featuring tracks left off the original album (because of the spatial limitations of vinyl). The entire concert has been remixed and remastered.

Disc 2 of the newly remastered expanded Legacy Edition of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis presents a recently located recording of Elvis' complete concert "test run" held for an ecstatic live audience at the Richmond Coliseum, on March 18, 1974, two days before his historic concert return to Memphis (where he'd last played live in 1961). The remarkable "test run" concert was recorded in MONO, drenched in the reverb Elvis preferred, and provides new insight into the magic of Elvis.

As a special added bonus for Elvis aficionados, Disc 2 of Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis includes five intimate tracks cut at the RCA Studios in Hollywood on August 16, 1974. Originally intended as reference recordings for an upcoming Las Vegas engagement, the performances which include "Down In The Alley," "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," "Softly As I Leave You," "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "The Twelfth Of Never" -provide a rare fly-on-the-wall glimpse into Elvis' consummate backstage artistry as he prepares these songs for concert.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 04:31:52 AM »

Here's a first review:

http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com/

Looks like this could be a winner

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 02:54:39 AM »

Just on a sidenote. This picture was posted by Ed Roach on facebook. I never realized it was in Elvis' plane but it was.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »

Those who pre-ordered on amazon got their copies and from what I'd read so far the new mix and sound are really good. Much better than what came before.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »

I haven't gotten it yet but so far I mostly heard/saw very positive reviews.

This seems to be the official Facebook-page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elvis-live-on-Stage-in-Memphis/421584197987795

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »

As seen on the FECC-forum, the Legacy Edition of the album will be released on vinyl as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Recorded-Stage-Memphis-Gatefold-Sleeve/dp/B00JFIGGPQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1397496824&sr=1-3&keywords=elvis+presley

Vinyl (12 May 2014)
Number of Discs: 4
Format: Extra tracks, Original recording remastered, Box set
Label: Music On Vinyl
ASIN: B00JFIGGPQ
Other Editions: Vinyl

Product Description

180 gram audiophile vinyl / 3-Fold Gatefold Sleeve / Includes 16 page booklet / Remastered audio / 40th Anniversary edition

About the Artist

Following the artistic success of his 1973 'Stax Sessions' and the global phenomenon of the 'Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite' album (both also available on vinyl) and broadcast the same year, Elvis opened 1974 with a 15 city tour routed to end in Memphis and a state-of-the-art concert recording. When originally released as a single LP, 'Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis' reached #1 on the Country charts and featured 'How Great Thou Art', the track that would bring Elvis his third Grammy win. This luxury quadruple vinyl reissue contains a previously unreleased 'Test Run' of the entire show recorded with a live audience at the Richmond Coliseum a few days before the legendary concert. The remarkable 'test run' performance was recorded in MONO, drenched in the reverb Elvis preferred, and provides new insight into the magic of Elvis. As a special added bonus for Elvis aficionados, also included are five intimate tracks (three of them previously unreleased) cut at the RCA Studios in Hollywood on August 16, 1974. Originally intended as reference recordings for an upcoming Las Vegas engagement, the performances, which include 'Down In The Alley', 'Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues', 'Softly As I Leave You', 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' and 'The Twelfth Of Never', provide a rare fly-on-the-wall glimpse into Elvis' consummate backstage artistry as he prepares these songs for concert. 'Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis' includes a 16 page booklet featuring rare photos, previously unseen memorabilia, new liner notes, press clips and more.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx