gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:37:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don't Fight The Sea  (Read 4410 times)
delsboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »

Are there two different versions of this song. For instance. Al has a video which show the boys all together recording w/David Marks?

Is there a "Don't Fight The Sea" that was recorded during the TWGMTR sessions?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »

Nah. There's just the version that is on Al's solo album. The group (plus Matt Jardine) filmed part of the video during the reunion but there's no other version.....

Except there was something called "Don't Fight The Sea" recorded in '76 during the 15 Big Ones sessions. I don't know if that recording has anything to do with Al's though.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »

Youtube has two versions, which seem to be different: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUUBkFTnwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V3rbs2r4V0

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »

Yea the 1st link the song is 1 1/2 minutes longer and the 2nd link the intro is different.. Wonder how Al got the BB to do the video because it is on Al"s solo lp.. Excellent track..  Very nice ecology song Al..!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »

Yea the 1st link the song is 1 1/2 minutes longer and the 2nd link the intro is different.. Wonder how Al got the BB to do the video because it is on Al"s solo lp.. Excellent track..  Very nice ecology song Al..!

I think it's because it was for a charity.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

True, and it was filmed in April 2012 the day after Al's solo show at the Roxy.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »

Aside from the intro (with the whale sounds) which I can't figure out as it's not on the CV I have, the main difference between the "video mix" and the CV is that the video mix omits Carl Wilson's contributions for obvious reasons.  I'm assuming Carl Wilson's contribution to the song is "dropped in" from the "15 Big Ones" outtake that sweetdudejim references.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »

Anyone else really like Brian's vocal bits on Don't Fight the Sea?  Sounds like one of the newer additions.

I remember listening to the radio in 2011 and being totally surprised when they announced they were going to play the new Beach Boys single.  Probably the one and only time I'll ever hear it in that manner.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 03:52:04 AM »

Brian's and Carl's (and Bruce's ?) contributions were recorded in 1989, during sessions for the "Still Cruisin'" album.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 05:23:14 AM »

Bruce doesn't remember being on the track at all.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »

Brian's and Carl's (and Bruce's ?) contributions were recorded in 1989, during sessions for the "Still Cruisin'" album.
I guess it makes sense, though it doesn't sound as strained to me as his other vocals of the time.  Makes me wish for more of a 1989 full-on group album.  Still Brian does appear regularly considering the time.
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:32:08 PM »

Except there was something called "Don't Fight The Sea" recorded in '76 during the 15 Big Ones sessions. I don't know if that recording has anything to do with Al's though.

I guess it is from the sessions with Terry Jacks (like "Seasons in the Sun") since Terry Jacks also recorded "Don't Fight the Sea" (under the exact title "Y' Don't Fight the Sea").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Dol148XNE
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:49:57 PM »

Whoring out this article, again - http://www.examiner.com/article/al-jardine-discusses-a-postcard-from-california - from the lips of that delightful kook Al Jardine, as told to the esteemed ESQ Ed.

Origin circa '78, interested to hear about SD Jim's '76 ref.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:38:48 AM »

Well, "Don't Fight The Sea" is on a couple of AFM sheets from the early '76 "15 Big ones" sessions. The same basic tracking and string overdub sessions as those for "That Same Song", April 27 and 28, 1976. Alan Boyd tells me that tape is NOT in the Brother Records archive, which means Al probably took it with him to Big Sur at some point. Then Brad Elliott wrote in his book that Al was working on the song in the second half of 1980. My guess is that's a completely new version, and possibly the one used for the final version, since Bobby Figueroa is credited as the drummer on the released version, and he was gone from their employ by 1989, which is when the Brian, Carl and Bruce vocals (and probably Mike Meros' synth work) were added. It was next mentioned in '96 and '97 as a candidate for the album Al was doing with his sons. 
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »

Pity this wasn't on the "Still Cruisin'" album along with a few other originals.  Could have been a really good album without the 60s stuff.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 04:51:17 AM »

Well, "Don't Fight The Sea" is on a couple of AFM sheets from the early '76 "15 Big ones" sessions. The same basic tracking and string overdub sessions as those for "That Same Song", April 27 and 28, 1976. Alan Boyd tells me that tape is NOT in the Brother Records archive, which means Al probably took it with him to Big Sur at some point. Then Brad Elliott wrote in his book that Al was working on the song in the second half of 1980. My guess is that's a completely new version, and possibly the one used for the final version, since Bobby Figueroa is credited as the drummer on the released version, and he was gone from their employ by 1989, which is when the Brian, Carl and Bruce vocals (and probably Mike Meros' synth work) were added. It was next mentioned in '96 and '97 as a candidate for the album Al was doing with his sons. 

c-man - thanks so much for sharing the timeline info, context and speculation.  A bit of a shame a copy of whatever was put down in '76 didn't remain in the BRI vault as a historical document.  Or a bootleg opportunity.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »

Yea the 1st link the song is 1 1/2 minutes longer and the 2nd link the intro is different.. Wonder how Al got the BB to do the video because it is on Al"s solo lp.. Excellent track..  Very nice ecology song Al..!

True, and it was filmed in April 2012 the day after Al's solo show at the Roxy.

It was Wednesday March 21, 2012.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:44:33 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:26 PM »

Bruce doesn't remember being on the track at all.  Grin

That's true.  Scott Totten sent me an email and asked if Bruce was on it.  I told him he was, and Scott responded, "He didn't know."
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 11:43:56 PM »

c-man - thanks so much for sharing the timeline info, context and speculation.  A bit of a shame a copy of whatever was put down in '76 didn't remain in the BRI vault as a historical document.  Or a bootleg opportunity.

Al broke down the entire timeline for me back in 2010.

There are at least four different iterations of the song.

Here's a bot more of a bockstory — http://www.examiner.com/review/a-postcard-from-california-cd
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx