gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:14:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love- 50 years of Fun, Fun, Fun  (Read 9150 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 04:58:49 PM »

I wish someone would ask him more questions about Smiley Smile and Wild Honey. What did he think of "Gettin' Hungry", for example? He wrote the lyrics, after all. To me, "Gettin' Hungry" is one of the more fascinating, unexplored aspects of the Boys fall from fame. "Heroes and Villains" may not have performed up to expectations, but it stayed at #12 for 2 weeks. Had Brian kept things in perspective, he'd have realized it was only a minor commercial setback.

To follow it up with "Gettin' Hungry" almost smacks of deliberate sabotage, or a conscious decision to be less commercial. It's not actually bad song, but it has such a bizarre, minimalist production, recorded at the last second  in one day. He'd spent way more time on "Vegetables", even during the Smiley Smile sessions, and that song was originally conceived as a single. In fact, he'd experimented with a piano arrangement quite a bit during the SS sessions and had apparently considered adding in "With Me Tonight". The extended mix of the song includes a bridge that basically sounds like an adaptation of the "With Me Tonight" theme.  
I'm not sure how Mike could've been happy with Brian releasing "Gettin' Hungry" as a single, even if it featured his lyrics.

Perhaps Mike was okay with its release since it's credited to him and Brian on the single/sleeve.

You could view it as a stab against Mike - you want to wirte with me?  This is the best you can come up with?  OK, I'll release it as a single by Brian & Mike . . . and when it fails miserably maybe you'll get off my back about collaborating with others.

I agree though the Smiley era and Wild Honey and even Friends is very underrepresented in interviews.  Mike did some great lyrics for Wild Honey.  And I would love to learn more about She's Goin' Bald - here's a Smile era pice written with Van Dyke that Mike gets to rewrite the lyrics to, like he wanted to do with Smile to make them more accessible.  But what a weird result, less accessible than Van Dyke IMO.  It makes you wonder what Mike would have done with the task of crafting lyrics to the SMile music if he'd been given the chance. Love for someone to ask him about that possibility . . .
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2014, 09:17:07 PM »

Songwriting lawsuits have been won successfully based on chords alone, even when the songs have slightly different rhythms/melody bits and different arrangements that make them sound very different to most listeners. The writers of "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons successfully sued George Harrison for "My Sweet Lord" having an identical chord structure.

Actually, IIRC, the judgement said that the chord structure didn't qualify as plagarism, but the similarity of two key bits of the melody -- "My sweet Lord"/"He's so fine" and "I really wanna see you"/"Don't know how I'm gonna do it" -- were what made it count as a rip-off.

When George re-recorded it in 2000 for the remastered album, ISTR hearing that the reason he changed his delivery of those lines was to demonstrate just how trivial those specific bits of similarity were!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »

Yeah George definately got the shaft on that... although I've got to agree that he did subconsciously plagurize the song.  I can't spell plagerize though so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I've heard much, much, much worse though that never got called out for being a ripoff.  Of course the Paul McCartney/TLC "Waterfalls" deal jumps to mind first but that's been covered to no end I'm sure.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx