gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:03:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs with radically different alternate takes/mixes etc.  (Read 3378 times)
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

I've realized there's quite a few songs that went through highly different revisions or changes, or has a radically different mix that either is bootlegged or officially released. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head that are my favorites:

Time To Get Alone - The Hawthorne CA CD stereo Mix is longer, more elaborate construction with a few parts
that aren't in what was released on 20/20 LP. Different vocal parts, Brian's vocal is clearer for instance. Seems like another one of Brian's post-Smile modular recording jobs, which there were quite a few.

Cool Cool Water - Early versions if they count to you (they do to me) of Da Da, Wild Honey session recordings, rehearsal version on the Smile Sessions box from prior to Smiley sessions, 3 part version on Sunflower

Hang On To Your Ego - The first 2 takes (only ones besides the master that are fully released or bootlegged) are completely different arrangements. The woodwinds from the tag are way more predominant on the verses than the LP cut version. Take 2 from the Pet Sounds Sessions box is awesome and have been listening to it a lot.

Til I Die - LP version and the great longer mix on Endless Harmony that has an extended intro and is quite different.

Longer "Meant For You" on MIU box, which no one knew existed in the first place.

With Me Tonight - Had a few takes that sounded nothing like what became on Smiley. There's a fast and a slower version out there, also a version with just a bass track. That's not even counting the other Smile material remade for Smiley!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:48:41 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »

I've realized there's quite a few songs that went through highly different revisions or changes, or has a radically different mix that either is bootlegged or officially released. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head that are my favorites:

Time To Get Alone - The Hawthorne CA CD stereo Mix is longer, more elaborate construction with a few parts
that aren't in what was released on 20/20 LP. Different vocal parts, Brian's vocal is clearer for instance. Seems like another one of Brian's post-Smile modular recording jobs, which there were quite a few.

Cool Cool Water - Early versions if they count to you (they do to me) of Da Da, Wild Honey session recordings, rehearsal version on the Smile Sessions box from prior to Smiley sessions, 3 part version on Sunflower

Hang On To Your Ego - The first 2 takes (only ones besides the master that are fully released or bootlegged) are completely different arrangements. The woodwinds from the tag are way more predominant on the verses than the LP cut version. Take 2 from the Pet Sounds Sessions box is awesome and have been listening to it a lot.

Til I Die - LP version and the great longer mix on Endless Harmony that has an extended intro and is quite different.

Longer "Meant For You" on MIU box, which no one knew existed in the first place.

With Me Tonight - Had a few takes that sounded nothing like what became on Smiley. There's a fast and a slower version out there, also a version with just a bass track. That's not even counting the other Smile material remade for Smiley!

Check out this early live version of "In My Car"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5A-597o0E

The verses are very different  (much, much worse here, IMO) from how they wound up sounding on the final version. A lot of work/tinkering with the arrangement (all for the better) must've gone into the final version. Plus, interspersed within this video, I think you can hear some background clips of a studio demo of the song, which also sound way different from the final version.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:06:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »

Lot of differences show up in Landlocked

There's the two different versions of "Big Sur" - different time signature,  different background vocals,  different arrangement, intro/no intro

Mixing  and production differences in "Good Time" - louder background vocals, the drums, more reverb on the clavinet(?), the guitar licks are louder, there's an effect on Brian's voice in the chorus, less of Brian's vocal improvisation towards the end, the extended horn outro, and another part that shows up during the verses that I'm not really sure of (maybe a guitar strumming) that's a bit louder in this version also.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:20:05 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »

Check out this early live version of "In My Car"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5A-597o0E

The verses are very different  (much, much worse here, IMO) from how they wound up sounding on the final version. A lot of work/tinkering with the arrangement (all for the better) must've gone into the final version. Plus, interspersed within this video, I think you can hear some background clips of a studio demo of the song, which also sound way different from the final version.

Very interesting video! I'm glad you posted  that. That was always one of my favorite Brian tracks from the 80's. It does sound way better on the album though for sure. Really sad though seeing Landy in the studio stepping in and distracting Brian and acting like he's a bigshot record producer.

As for Landlocked, I agree.. There's also other slight differences in Take A Load Off Your Feet and When Girls Get Together comparing released versions to booted mixes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »

There is an outtake of Slip On Through with alternate backing vocals. The bootleg versions of California Feelin' and the 1970 version of Back Home are pretty different than the versions released on MIC.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »

There is an outtake of Slip On Through with alternate backing vocals. The bootleg versions of California Feelin' and the 1970 version of Back Home are pretty different than the versions released on MIC.

There's even a version of "Slip on Through" with an entirely different backing track.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »

Back Home ... need anybody say anything more ...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »

There's even a version of "Slip on Through" with an entirely different backing track.
Yeah, it's a much looser version. It sounds more like a "jam" than a real serious attempt.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:06:18 AM »

Surfer Girl, Surfin' Safari (Hite Morgan versions)
Be True To Your School
Don't Back Down
Little Saint Nick (early "Drive In" version)
Dance Dance Dance
Help Me R(h)onda
Let Him Run Wild
Good Vibrations
several Pet Sounds tracks (WIBN, GOK, IJWMFTT, etc)
Cottonfields / Cotton Fields
Add Some Music To Your Day
Rock 'n' Roll Music
Come Go With Me
Shortenin' Bread
Lady Lynda
California Dreamin'

And I don't know if this one counts: All Dressed Up For School > I Just Got My Pay > Marcella.

The list is endless...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:49:29 AM by SMiLE Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:49:24 AM »

There is only one version of the 1961 "Surfin'".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 07:18:25 AM »

A lot of "Summer In Paradise" US vs. UK versions.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »

Tears in the Morning early version with different instrumentation, and some lyric differences. "And I don't need no nepenthe"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:26:14 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »

Excuse me I could be wrong.. BUT.. That video from you tube isn't from 1988 I believe.. It's from 1989 tour and BW did a mini set in the middle of a BB show.. I saw this show in Costa Mesa Ca + Headliners were CHICAGO.. 1989..  If I remember right the 3 songs BW played with  BB back up band were.. Love + Mercy  Long Version... Country Feelin...  In my Car..  No other  Beach Boys on stage for these 3 songs..
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »

Whatare the differences between the versions of Surfer Girl? I know that the earlier version of Surfin' Safari has very different lyrics.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »

Whatare the differences between the versions of Surfer Girl? I know that the earlier version of Surfin' Safari has very different lyrics.

Well, the vocal intro to start with (which wasn't on the Hite Morgan version afaik)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »

There is only one version of the 1961 "Surfin'".

Correct. Just removed that one.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »

The early backing track for We're Together Again sounds so totally different you'd barely know it was the same song... (It's great as well!)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe.

The first version sounds like Johnny B Goode.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:49:11 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »

The early backing track for We're Together Again sounds so totally different you'd barely know it was the same song... (It's great as well!)

I was actually gonna mention this in my first post.. That's a really nice alternate take of that song. So many songs they worked hard on and they did absolutely nothing with. Yet they released stuff they shouldn't have released.

Another one is all those alternate "Do It Again" mixes. I love the one with just Mike's lead vocal and Brian's high bg vocal doing the "bom bom bom" melody.

Also recently heard the single version of "California" which has more Brian "I'm on my way" vocals in it. Can't even listen to the LP version the same way again. No idea why they edited those parts out. More Brian is good Brian.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx