gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:56:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis scaled the World Trade Center in 1971!?  (Read 5750 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »

Awesome. Crazy but awesome.. Shocked
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »

Source?

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »

Not the one in N.Y.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »

http://brianwilsonfans.com/a_dw.php

With time to kill before sound check on a windy New York afternoon in 1971, the drummer of The Beach Boys had decided, on a whim, to scale a building that, though not yet complete, was already the tallest structure ever erected by man: The World Trade Centre. The bottom half of the first Tower was already occupied, and Dennis and his pal Gregg Jakobson went as far as they could and then switched to the construction elevator. In their jeans and T-shirts, the Californians blended with the workmen, and ascended unchallenged. Higher and higher they rode, past the welders, riveters and electricians, until they reached the 110th floor, which at this point consisted of nothing but skeletal beams. Dennis whooped with joy and triumph as he danced around all four corners, oblivious to the vicious winds whipping through non-existent walls, determined to admire the spectacular view from every angle.   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:32:53 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:36 PM »

I just bought a 2002 issue of mojo magazine, cuz it had an article on dennis.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:08:05 PM »

Always thought this was one of the coolest Dennis stories!

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 06:56:55 AM »

Dennis also mounted the world's tallest woman...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »

I am getting vertigo just reading about it!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »

Dennis also mounted the world's tallest woman...
LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

I'd seriously question the veracity of that tale. For one thing, would any building still being constructed have the lower floors occupied ?

Just checked: the North Tower topped out 12/23/70, with the first tenants moving in almost immediately: the South Tower topped out 7/19/71 and the first tenants moved in in January 1972. So... didn't happen as by 1971 the whole of the first tower had been completed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:24:38 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:01 AM »

http://brianwilsonfans.com/a_dw.php

With time to kill before sound check on a windy New York afternoon in 1971, the drummer of The Beach Boys had decided, on a whim, to scale a building that, though not yet complete, was already the tallest structure ever erected by man: The World Trade Centre. The bottom half of the first Tower was already occupied, and Dennis and his pal Gregg Jakobson went as far as they could and then switched to the construction elevator. In their jeans and T-shirts, the Californians blended with the workmen, and ascended unchallenged. Higher and higher they rode, past the welders, riveters and electricians, until they reached the 110th floor, which at this point consisted of nothing but skeletal beams. Dennis whooped with joy and triumph as he danced around all four corners, oblivious to the vicious winds whipping through non-existent walls, determined to admire the spectacular view from every angle.   

I'd seriously question the veracity of that tale. For one thing, would any building still being constructed have the lower floors occupied ?

Just checked: the North Tower topped out 12/23/70, with the first tenants moving in almost immediately: the South Tower topped out 7/19/71 and the first tenants moved in in January 1972. So... didn't happen as by 1971 the whole of the first tower had been completed.

Putting yours and the previous quote side by side( almost) it would seem you're supporting the story. Maybe it's all in how one reads the quote? 
 It says the first building was partially occupied, then says they went as far as they could before switching to the construction elevator. It doesn't say they were IN the first building, even tho it would be easy to read it that way. 
 I don't know whether it really happened or not, but it does appear it could have. maybe someone could get a response from Gregg?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »

It should be clear, even to you, that the two posts are totally incompatible. The first tower - the one Dennis allegedly scaled - was completed and occupied by the end of 1970. The second tower was not occupied until January 1972. The story is apocryphal, or to be less charitable, a lie.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »

It should be clear, even to you, that the two posts are totally incompatible. The first tower - the one Dennis allegedly scaled - was completed and occupied by the end of 1970. The second tower was not occupied until January 1972. The story is apocryphal, or to be less charitable, a lie.

Yeah, like I mentioned, it reads badly.  You're so sure of it all, and I still don't see it, even tho you seem to be pointing it out.  
Wish I could read it the way you do, but I can't.  

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:23:16 AM by bgas » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »

Early days but we have a contender for thread title of the year

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 11:18:47 AM »

Ask Fay Wray.  Dennis was carrying her...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »

Yeah, like I mentioned, it reads badly.  You're so sure of it all, and I still don't see it, even tho you seem to be pointing it out. 
Wish I could read it the way you do, but I can't. 

OK, if it was the second, unoccupied tower, why switch to the construction elevator ? Why not ride it all the way ?  As many times before, you're being obtuse for the sake of it. You're better than that but you seem to delight in playing the role of the mentally handicapped person.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »

The World Trade Center story was first told to me at least 15 years ago by Gregg Jakobson, who was with Dennis at the construction site of the WTC. I never confirmed a date but the story has been around for years, the Mojo article i assume is the one written by Ben Edmonds who is a respected journalist and a friend. I have the interview with Gregg on tape, but haven't listened to it in years, but I remember him saying that while he was literally hugging the exposed beams because of the crushing force of the wind and in total fear for his life, Dennis was dancing like an acrobat around the edges. I think Ed Roach is familiar with this story as well, and perhaps can shed light. Obviously i wasn't there so I cannot 100% confirm Gregg's recollection, but I had no reason to doubt him as there are so many equally amazing Dennis stories from countless others. One that springs to mind is late great Sunray Eddy Medora's story of how Dennis (with no prior training) somehow talked the pilot of a small plane they had chartered for a tour hop into letting Dennis fly and land the plane. According to Eddy it was the scariest thing in his entire life, but somehow Dennis got the plane down without any damage or injuries. http://oldfashionislovelyfashion.tumblr.com/post/2470482350/dennis-wilson-eddy-medora-vince-hozier-and-rick

Another good one is while fishing in the Pacific Dennis insisted on diving into a feeding frenzy of sharks to retrieve a five-dollar chum they had been using to attract larger fish. While his shocked fishing mates were expecting him to be mauled, he calmly swam in among the sharks, grabbed it, and swam back to the boat, no problem. There's dozens more of these...please Ed give us a couple...IMO the WTC story falls into the plausible just because Dennis was Dennis.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:22:38 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 12:16:15 PM »

Dennis would not dive into a group of frenzied sharks, as we all know he could walk on water... and not just while riding a surfboard!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »

What ever the detail of the story, construction was still going on with both towers in 1971.

http://www.vintag.es/2013/08/world-trade-center-under-construction.html

'Topping Out' is just a construction term for the last beam or highest point being reached. The finishing off may take a lot longer.

Sorry Andrew, but Jon hearing the story first hand from Greg is good enough for me. Confirmed!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:37:24 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »

IMO the WTC story falls into the plausible just because Dennis was Dennis.

Plausible, yes... but as related, impossible.  Smiley

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 01:18:30 PM »

As many times before, you're being obtuse for the sake of it. You're better than that but you seem to delight in playing the role of the mentally handicapped person.

SCORCH!!  Calls it as he sees it!  Seen it a few times meself!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »

As many times before, you're being obtuse for the sake of it. You're better than that but you seem to delight in playing the role of the mentally handicapped person.

SCORCH!!  Calls it as he sees it!  Seen it a few times meself!

There you go again  Mikie, failing to see the bigger picture, chiming in, trying to curry favor with AGD

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »

I've read pretty much every book on the Beach Boys over the years and most articles and reviews in magazines and newspapers and fanzines, and this thread is the first I've heard of Dennis and the WTC story. I must have missed it in Jon's Dennis book(?). Don't even remember discussing it here or on other message boards over the years. 'Course I'm sure there's a few stories that Jon and Ed are aware of that haven't made it to print.  Cheesy

I remember reading a couple of years ago that the framework for the original World Trade Center buildings was a 1969 design. Damn, those buildings sure went up fast!

I've seen pictures and video of Daryl Dragon with Dennis circa 1970 - 1972, not only on stage, but off stage. The only pictures of Gregg Jacobsen that I've seen were in an interview with him right after POB/Bambu was issued back in '08. Don't think I've seen Gregg's picture from the Manson era either. First I've heard here that Gregg went on the road with the Beach Boys at some point, but not surprised as he WAS Dennis' friend and songwriting and drinking partner living in L.A. during that era.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:16:57 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »

There you go again  Mikie, failing to see the bigger picture, chiming in, trying to curry favor with AGD

There you go again, spouting off about stuff you know nothing about. Actually AGD and I haven't talked to or addressed one another on the board, PM's, or e-mails in quite awhile; ever since I pissed him off on the "Big Beat 1963" thread. I don't favor ANYONE on this board, but do gravitate towards and respect those who know what they're talking about, at least most of the time. And while AGD's personality is questionable at times, he hasn't laid an egg too often regarding Beach Boys/related facts here, so I continue to hand it to him. And as you'll notice, Bgas, AGD's a big boy and fights his own battles - I never have to jump on the pile of his detractors to save him. Plus he knows there's no such word as "Alot" as you still continue to use in sentences, so I also give him high marks for his grammar and spelling.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:11:40 PM by Mikie » Logged

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

How does riding an elevator, open or not, make it "scaling"? Scaling implies rappelling with ropes and hooks.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx