gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:34:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lei'd In Hawaii - What's officially released?  (Read 6828 times)
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »

By my count, here's what we've gotten over the years from either the rehearsal tapes or the post-concert studio remakes:

1. Good Vibrations (Concert rehearsal) - on HAWTHORNE (also the GV 40th Anniversary EP)
2. God Only Knows (Live rehearsal) - from ENDLESS HARMONY SOUNDTRACK
3. California Girls (Studio remake) - from MIC
4. Surfer Girl (Rehearsal) - from GV box
5. The Letter (Rehearsal) - on MIC
6. Help You, Rhonda - from MIC
7. Their Hearts Were Full of Spring - from SS/WH twofer

What, if anything, am I overlooking?

Thanks!
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »

Thanks!

you are overlooking a lot as long as you confine yourself to the word "officially".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »

Thanks!

you are overlooking a lot as long as you confine yourself to the word "officially".

wow thanks had no idea

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »

Thanks!

Heroes and Villains, bonus track on the live album twofer.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:57:19 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »

Thanks!

Also:

The Letter (Studio Remake) - Rarities & Covered By The Beach Boys.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »

Thanks!

That's my favorite version of H&V they've ever done live.. It's too bad the rest of the concert isn't nearly as good as that though.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »

Another question: Some of the released songs from Lei'd in Hawaii were actual from actual rehearsals for the concerts: when were these rehearsals recorded? Directly before the show each night, on one night only, or on some other day entirely?

From then, can we assume there are at least four versions of each individual song played during the time:

1. The concert rehearsals (possibly recordings of multiple rehearsals???)
2. The first show
3. The second show
4. The Wally Heider Studio Remakes

And yet another (probably insignificant) question: Was "Hawthorne Boulevard" ever rerecorded in studio afterwards for the "fake" live recordings?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:37:09 AM »

I LOVE 'Surfin' on Lei'd in Hawaii. That little organ line they use - brilliant! Very much a 'Smiley Smile' version of the song.
Dirtyfaz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »

I have a boot called Aloha from Hawaii ( and Hollywood)
without listing all the tracks the information re the tracks reads:
Tracks 1-21: Live at the Honolulu International Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, 25 August 1967 Tracks 22-34: 'Live-in-the-studio' rehearsals, 11 September 1967, Wally Heider's Studio, Hollywood, CA.

You never really know how accurate the information is on the sleeves of boots so this information could be way out. Several of the tracks in the first 21 are actually just introductions of the track about to be performed.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 01:42:15 AM »

I have a boot called Aloha from Hawaii ( and Hollywood)
without listing all the tracks the information re the tracks reads:
Tracks 1-21: Live at the Honolulu International Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, 25 August 1967 Tracks 22-34: 'Live-in-the-studio' rehearsals, 11 September 1967, Wally Heider's Studio, Hollywood, CA.

You never really know how accurate the information is on the sleeves of boots so this information could be way out. Several of the tracks in the first 21 are actually just introductions of the track about to be performed.

What's a boot?  If it looks anything like this, I've never seen it…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 05:14:22 AM »

I LOVE 'Surfin' on Lei'd in Hawaii. That little organ line they use - brilliant! Very much a 'Smiley Smile' version of the song.

Lifted from "Underwater" by Candix label mates The Frogmen.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »

Both of the live shows that were taped circulate. The rehearsals exist but only the four tracks we have now have been released. The "sweetening" sessions are pretty much available minus Sloop John B and Game of Love.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »

A quick tip: Check the "search" function of this board's archives, and you'll find the largest archive of accurate information and in-depth discussion of the Hawaii '67 shows as exists anywhere. Including what versions were recorded when, where the various photos and film comes from, and various speculations in between that would further answer the questions.

One of the best catches that got away was just a few years ago, where an "official" but obscure site somehow posted what looked like all of the raw footage from Hawaii, all of that which has been endlessly chopped up and edited into all the BB's video docs only on a continuous roll of video (it either had a time code strip or watermark, but still...), but as soon as someone caught on, it was gone in a flash. I so badly wanted that, too...maybe someone else ripped it.  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »

Just had to add, one of the most mind-blowing pieces of minute trivia was when someone on the board pointed out this song called "Whittier Boulevard" from an obscure 60's garage band called "Thee Midniters". Just when you thought Brian and the Boys were doing something uniquely bizarre, the first 10 seconds or so of this record show the real origins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdKdC6bRtos

And to be brutally honest, the musicianship on both the original inspiration and the live "tribute" are equally semi-competent..., but the Midniters rock it out a bit more. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »

The Hawaii shows would have been so much better if the BBs had Brian on bass on the whole show and picked up from where the 1964 TAMI show left off.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »

Is there any chance of the actual concert being officially released?

Get Mark and Alan to sweeten up the sound a bit, and you've got a great piece of Beach Boys history waiting to be bought.

Shoot, they could make it just a vinyl/mp3/flac concert album (like they did with Bob Dylan's Brandeis University concert). Have a nice color booklet with pictures from the actual gig. A lot of us would buy that in a heartbeat.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »

Thank you! I forgot all about this one.

I know there are many unofficial recordings/compilations from this show -- while I've never gotten my hands (ears?) on one, I probably should eventually. The stuff that has been released is great, and sonically pretty unique in the BBs canon.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »

As absurd as the idea was, I'm really glad Brian brought his Baldwin organ with the band to Hawaii. One of my favorite aspects of Smiley Smile and it's great to hear Brian play it live. To be honest, I can't imagine how much more spare and awkward the concerts would sound without it. It helps fill out the lack of arrangements a bit.

I've spent a long time trying to find the 2nd concert on Aug 26th 1967 and I finally found it, but unfortunately the sound is slightly worse and also seems to be sped up a bit on my copy. The 2nd concert is actually slightly better in terms of performance than the 1st concert. They don't sound super stoned at least. Is every circulating copy sped up/running fast like that though?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:14:10 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 02:26:08 AM »

While were on the subject on the Hawaii shows/Heider tapes, I wanted to address something I saw while searching the board archives...

Someone mentioned in a previous thread that the version of The Letter on Rarities *wasn't* the version from the Sept 11, '67 Heider tapes, rather, implying it was solely from the Oct. 25th session that was held at Brian's house. That is, the session where Game Of Love was also tackled:

Last post in thread:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=1802.15;wap2

While I don't dispute that some further work was done to the track at that latter "house" session (e.g. the bass guitar sounds replaced; new drum work, etc.), listening to three different source tapes of the 9/11 Heider sessions shows that the Rarities version is indeed derived from the bulk of that earlier session. Same lead vocals by Brian and Mike. What sounds like most, if not all of the same harmonies. Same guitar and organ parts (e.g. organ on first verse, absent on second, returning on chorus -- including the exact same off-the-cuff glissando right before the final "anyway-yay-yay-yays."). And the early fade -- before the track falls apart completely -- right where it should be. Only a tiny bit of speed variation and analog drift as well. The Heider session bootleg mix is also stereo (with different balances between the individual tracks), while the released Rarities version is obviously mono...compressed, limited and echoed up the holy wazoo. Perhaps this is where some of the confusion lies?

Also, for example, while BE originally wrote in the Rarities album liner notes that The Letter was recorded at "Brian Wilson's Home," he also referred to a WH track there as being recorded at Wally Heider's *Home*. When he revised his notes for the 'net, he changed it to the correct 9/11/67 Heider date, while also correcting the aforementioned term to Heider's Studio:

Original:
http://albumlinernotes.com/Beach_Boys_Rarities.html

Revised:
http://www.bradelliott.com/writings/rarities/tracks.html

Thus, in conclusion, unless that version on the Heider tapes isn't really from the initial 9/11 Heider session at all, or unless there's some other info out there that I'm not aware of [and please, feel free to correct me if there is], they are basically one in the same. At least for the majority of the track. Smiley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »

OK, this is probably gonna make me look like an idiot, but is everybody sure that the "rehearsal" version of "The Letter" from Made In California isn't the same thing as the Rarities version? Or at the least, not really a rehearsal?
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »

I could be wrong and I don't know 100%, but from what I do know from the Wally Heider post-show version, the Rarities version, and the live versions from both shows, it sounds like on Made In California the version is a true rehearsal performed shortly before one of the real shows from what I can tell just by listening. For one the acoustics doesn't sound at all like it would be done in Heider's studio. Even with reverb added. Another thing is that there doesn't seem to be any crowd in the background that can be discerned. On the actual shows, there were tons of screaming from the audience. I'm sure if it was a true live version, you'd hear some of that.

Also, it is very similar to the version on Rarities, but there are some differences that show that the MIC version is a different performance. Mostly you can tell just by comparing the ending. There are some differences on both versions, for example the Rarities version has a much more sloppy/off the cuff ending, and there's also some percussion.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:33:06 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:33 AM »

Question, now I know Sloop John B wasnt played at the first show, i believe it was played at the second show (where Brian plays bass)...but what about Help You, Rhonda? Now that the cats been let outta the bag and it's been released as a rehearsal on MIC, was it played live at the second show? I don't recall.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 12:52:59 AM »

I'd like to throw out a question... has the rehearsal to the concert been leaked?  Meaning... the actual rehearsal, not the Wally Heider post-show session mislabeled as a rehearsal.  I don't believe I've ever run across a copy of that.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 01:09:36 AM »

"Sloop John B" was played at both shows actually. Brian sung both versions and played bass. "Help You Rhonda" was never played at any of the shows, though for some reason was only recorded that way in the studio later. They did do a regular "Help Me Rhonda" at the 2nd show on 8/26 though.

As for the rehearsals to the concerts, I don't think they are circulating as far as I know.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 05:46:54 PM »

OK, this is probably gonna make me look like an idiot, but is everybody sure that the "rehearsal" version of "The Letter" from Made In California isn't the same thing as the Rarities version? Or at the least, not really a rehearsal?

I'll echo the others -- it's a different performance entirely from the studio version. Beyond that, we also know that a real, bona fide 8/25 concert rehearsal tape actually exists, if only for the stuff from it that's already been commercially released.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx