gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:44:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Date and location of late 60's BBs photo  (Read 3541 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 01:46:27 AM »

I was given a framed photo of the BBs for Christmas, and am curious if anyone has thoughts about the date and location of the photo:

I contacted the website from which the photo was purchased, Rock, Paper, Photo, asking for the date and location of the photo, and they replied, "All we have is info from the photographer's rep which states it was circa 1960s and most likely England. Unfortunately we don’t have more info than that."

The photo was taken by Dezo Hoffmann, who was born in 1918 in Slovakia, worked in Paris as a photojournalist prior to WWII, and was based in London after WWII.  He is best known for his photos of The Beatles, beginning in 1962.  He died in 1986 after having taken approximately one million photos of pop musicians and showbiz personalities.

From the looks of the guys I’m guessing the photo was taken sometime in 1969.  They are on a walkway with what appears to be a park on one side and with a large river on the other.

Here’s a pic enhanced to show the background behind Mike and Carl, showing what appears to be some type of fortress and perhaps a cathedral dome across the river behind Mike and Carl:

Any ideas and info from Smiley Smile message board readers will be appreciated!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:10:39 AM »

Comparing your photo with the footage from An American Band, I'd say Bratislava, Slovakia (formerly Czechoslovakia), specifically June 18, 1969. http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs69.html

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:56:48 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:08:24 AM »

I was given a framed photo of the BBs for Christmas, and am curious if anyone has thoughts about the date and location of the photo:

The photo was taken by Dezo Hoffmann, who was born in 1918 in Slovakia, worked in Paris as a photojournalist prior to WWII, and was based in London after WWII.  He is best known for his photos of The Beatles, beginning in 1962. 
Sorry for getting a bit sidetracked, but I absolutely like what he's done with The Rolling Stones, the grass-enclosed shots are one of the best that capture the unity of the band. Afterwards, it wasn't anymore, the guys divided into camps.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »

Funny, my first guess was Czechoslovakia, because of the photographers country of birth... perhaps Prague, and I was about to check it out... but metal flake paint beat me to it. Good work, mfp!

I have seen one or two more pictures from this same session, I think.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »

Thanks SMILE Holland. The clothes are the vital clue in this instance as they are the same ones that they wore when they were signing autographs during the AAB footage (although Bruce's commentary makes it sound like they were greeting fans in Prague when they were actually in Bratislava). John Milward's Silver Anniversary book features a two-page b&w photo from the session.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

Is it just me, or have the band never, and I mean never, looked cooler than they did in this group shot? (Maybe Bruce's hat excepted). They are stylin'.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »

Is it just me, or have the band never, and I mean never, looked cooler than they did in this group shot? (Maybe Bruce's hat excepted). They are stylin'.

They do look very very cool in this period.. Carl and Dennis were very cool looking guys especially.. I think he should have shaved more often in the 70s. Has a great look when clean shaven.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »

Hmm, memory fail, not the same session, but probably the same tour (and photographer?), and obviously Bruce liked the hat.  Grin

Looking at the numberplate of the car right, this pic was probably taken in the Netherlands (it's a poster from a Dutch magazine), either June 1st or 2nd, I guess.

Edit: the small flag right to Dennis' arm is giveaway as well...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:58:32 PM by SMiLE Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 01:11:53 PM »

I thought this was a good attempt as well (except for the gloves).

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »

I'd give that honor to this shot:

Bruce looks pretty badass with the 'stache and red coat in the pic in reply #8, though!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »

Bruce looks pretty badass with the 'stache and red coat in the pic in reply #8, though!
God, they all look so stoned in that pic.  Smokin

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »

Denny and Carl, yes. Al... meh.

Bruce and especially Mike look embarrassing
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »

The other Mike Love looks so much like 1969 Mike Love its got to be an tip of the hat.

http://www.mikelovemusic.com/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »

Hmm, memory fail, not the same session, but probably the same tour (and photographer?), and obviously Bruce liked the hat.  Grin

Looking at the numberplate of the car right, this pic was probably taken in the Netherlands (it's a poster from a Dutch magazine), either June 1st or 2nd, I guess.

Edit: the small flag right to Dennis' arm is giveaway as well...  Roll Eyes

Interestingly, Carl, Dennis and Mike are wearing essentially the same clothing as they did at their Amsterdam television appearance, June 2 1969 http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs69.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqyx4TW4Ptw

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »

Airbrush Bruce out of this and then your statement will be correct. Bruce only looked cool in 1971, maybe 1972. Dennis, Carl, and Mike look good in these pics. Mike's hatless period worked.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:19:43 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »

Comparing your photo with the footage from An American Band, I'd say Bratislava, Slovakia (formerly Czechoslovakia), specifically June 18, 1969. http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs69.html

Thanks so much Metal Flake Paint!  The scene on the other side of the river, as well as the clothing in the American Band Video, definitely nail it as June 18, 1969 in Bratislava, Slovakia, part of Czechoslovakia at the time of the photo and concert.  Really appreciate your great detective work!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »

Glad I could help Smiley

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 12:57:11 AM »

Said AAB clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o35NgnPVZlI
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx