gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:59:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phil Everly, RIP.  (Read 28297 times)
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »

I am glad this thread has been bumped up, as I have just been getting into them very recently.  In fact, I recently downloaded "The Very Best of the Everly Brothers" (1964) as a way of getting all of their hits on one album.

When I started listening to the album, I noticed something wasn't quite right. I didn't realize until after my purchase that I was a victim of what might be considered false advertising.  I guess I should have dug a little deeper and did some research before purchasing the album, as I discovered that 6 of the album's 12 songs were actually re-recorded by the Everlys in 1964 specifically for this album, including Bye Bye Love, Til I Kissed You, Bird Dog, All I Have to Do is Dream, Wake Up Little Susie, and Devoted to You.

Although the 1964 versions were pretty close to the originals, there weren't what I had expected.  So, I found the original versions on other albums.  It was actually difficult to find those original versions, and I had to resort to searching in movie soundtrack albums and miscellaneous compilations.  I don't know if is an issue with the record label or not as to why some of their best known songs are so hard to come by.

Anyway, I now have all of the original versions of the songs I intended to buy on the "Very Best" album.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »

A radio station over here always plays the re-recorded "All I have to do is dream" for whatever reason (probably because it's stereo). I was surprised when I heard it the first time.
I like those re-recordings mostly. They are by and large just as good as the originals. In case of All I Have To... I like the new one even better because it is slower. The original is too fast for my taste.

Here's the Everly's singing a Merle Haggard tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYPPG6vsWA
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:28:58 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »

Great pick Rocker.  I like every song on that album.  It was such a neat idea as a concept.

pass the chicken and listen...

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »

I am glad this thread has been bumped up, as I have just been getting into them very recently.  In fact, I recently downloaded "The Very Best of the Everly Brothers" (1964) as a way of getting all of their hits on one album.

When I started listening to the album, I noticed something wasn't quite right. I didn't realize until after my purchase that I was a victim of what might be considered false advertising.  I guess I should have dug a little deeper and did some research before purchasing the album, as I discovered that 6 of the album's 12 songs were actually re-recorded by the Everlys in 1964 specifically for this album, including Bye Bye Love, Til I Kissed You, Bird Dog, All I Have to Do is Dream, Wake Up Little Susie, and Devoted to You.

Although the 1964 versions were pretty close to the originals, there weren't what I had expected.  So, I found the original versions on other albums.  It was actually difficult to find those original versions, and I had to resort to searching in movie soundtrack albums and miscellaneous compilations.  I don't know if is an issue with the record label or not as to why some of their best known songs are so hard to come by.

Anyway, I now have all of the original versions of the songs I intended to buy on the "Very Best" album.

Actually, those Cadence recordings are by far the easiest to track down. They have been reissued countless times by countless labels. Most Everly "best of's" are JUST the Cadence recordings, no Warners stuff.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2016, 12:52:24 AM »

That's always an interesting thing when they re-record the songs, I think they usually do it so that they can get a piece of their big hits, for instance just before he died John Denver did a 2 cd record with all of his greatest hits, re-recorded over a couple days at his studio.  If any of those versions get played on the radio, he'd get half the royalties since he owned the performance (but no longer owned the songs... or the original performances).  If you ever listen to that album it's kind of sad, he's of course in fine voice and everything but the songs are missing his happy, optimistic sound.

I've got one Little Richard did in the late 90's, re-recording all his original hits, I swear to god a couple of them are almost indistinguishable from the originals, and he's in his late 60's then!  Of course I still prefer the originals though...

Another interesting guy was Merle Haggard, I prefer several of his rerecordings, he has several versions of "Okie from Muskogee" and there's this awesome later version where it's got more of a shuffle going on. 

I'm not familiar enough with the Everly Brothers to know which are the originals and which are the re-recordings, are the redos better than the original?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2016, 02:47:16 AM »

I'm not familiar enough with the Everly Brothers to know which are the originals and which are the re-recordings, are the redos better than the original?

Here's All I Have To Do Is Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxWZT0PXkGg

Bye Bye Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9YMXXXh8BM

Tthere was some change on Wake Up Little Susie on the recording that kinda took the drive a little out of it. I think they waited a bar or half a bar longer than the original to start singing again after the famous riff. Don't remember exactly....

But as mentioned, I think the re-recordings realy stand up to the originals except for some small parts (Bye Bye Love). In case of Dream, I think that one is even better than the original.

If we're talking about the same Little Richard recordings (I guess we are) I think nearly all of them are at least as good as the originals. Some probably even better (Long Tall Sally). And I have to say that I really dislike the idea of artists re-recording their stuff. These Little Richard recordings, the mentioned Everly's and some of Jerry Lee's (especially the fantastic GBOF soundtrack) are really just exceptions to me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2016, 07:08:22 PM »

I can't think of any Little Richard re-recordings that stand up to the originals, except for a remake of Good Golly Miss Molly he did for the movie King Ralph. Chuck Berry's remakes of his Chess hits for Mercury were similarly disappointing. The Evs, though, did great with the remakes on The Very Best of The Everly Brothers. Some fans wouldn't even notice the difference - glad you guys could tell.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2016, 11:51:06 PM »

Here's All I Have To Do Is Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxWZT0PXkGg

Bye Bye Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9YMXXXh8BM

Huh.   I'd have to say I prefer the originals, but probably mainly just because I've heard them my entire life that way. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2016, 11:55:43 PM »

here's the original "long Tall Sally"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1FNveyqgRQ

And here's what I believe is the re-recording from the 90's.  Incredible that he was able to pull that off that old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZypYBWBQR-o
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2016, 06:33:58 AM »

Actually, those Cadence recordings are by far the easiest to track down. They have been reissued countless times by countless labels. Most Everly "best of's" are JUST the Cadence recordings, no Warners stuff.

I guess I should have clarified my comment that my search was limited to ITunes.  I probably would have had more success if I had performed a wider search.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »

I guess I should have clarified my comment that my search was limited to ITunes.  I probably would have had more success if I had performed a wider search.
Yes, there are dozens of cd's with the Cadence stuff - Laser Light and several other labels have done them, and there's lots of stuff coming over from EU now because of the copyright laws - or lack of. I have finally started getting some of the Warners albums in recent years. It's Everly Time and A Date with the Everlys in particular are just as strong as the Cadence albums.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »

This will air on BBC 4 tomorrow.

The Everly Brothers: Harmonies from Heaven

Documentary which celebrates, over the period covering the end of the 1950s and the beginning of the 60s, the phenomenon of The Everly Brothers, arguably the greatest harmony duo the world has witnessed, who directly influenced the greatest and most successful bands of the 60s and 70s - The Beatles, The Stones, The Beach Boys and Simon & Garfunkel to name but a few.

Don and Phil Everly's love of music began as children, encouraged by their father Ike. Little Donnie and Baby Boy Phil sang on Ike's early morning radio shows in Iowa.

After leaving school, the brothers moved to Nashville where, under the wing of Ike Everly's friend, the highly talented musician Chet Atkins, Don and Phil signed with Cadence Records. They exploded onto the music scene in 1957 with Bye Bye Love, written by Boudleaux and Felice Bryant.

After Bye Bye Love came other hits, notably Wake Up Little Susie, followed by the worldwide smash hit All I Have to Do Is Dream and a long string of other great songs which also became hits.

By 1960, however, the brothers were lured away from Cadence to Warner Bros with a $1,000,000 contract. Their biggest hit followed, the self-penned Cathy's Clown, which sold 8 million copies. Remaining at Warner Bros for most of the 60s, they had further success with Walk Right Back, So Sad and the King/Greenfield-penned track Crying in the Rain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b077x1fh

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2019, 01:44:15 PM »

Thanks for that, Rocker!!!  Everly Brothers are incredible, gotta get their "Roots" album if you want to hear them at their best.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2019, 06:16:04 AM »

Thanks for that, Rocker!!!  Everly Brothers are incredible, gotta get their "Roots" album if you want to hear them at their best.

I'm not too fond of the "Roots" album. It features some great songs, a cool cover of "You done me wrong" (one of my favorite country songs), but imo it's trying too hard. I rather listen to "Pass the chicken & listen" and some of the earlier things like "Rock'n Soul", "Beat 'n Soul" and "Sing great country hits".

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2019, 07:15:29 AM »

Pass the Chicken and Listen is also great, I agree.  And that's a great title for an album!  But nobody bought the darned thing...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »

I'm not too fond of the "Roots" album. It features some great songs, a cool cover of "You done me wrong" (one of my favorite country songs), but imo it's trying too hard. I rather listen to "Pass the chicken & listen" and some of the earlier things like "Rock'n Soul", "Beat 'n Soul" and "Sing great country hits".
"Roots" is one of those albums - like POB - that was praised to the skies by a lot of writers, but when i finally heard it, it didn't live up to expectations. In fact, i bought it at Tower Records in 1990 as an import, along with "Two Yanks In England", and it was the latter album that impressed me more. There was this myth perpetrated by the rock historians that the Ev's made great records until they moved over to Warners in 1960, but as i began collecting the albums, i found much to like about the music they made in the years they were eclipsed by the British Invasion.
'Pass the Chicken and Listen" is another great album that i didn't expect much from. I figured, from all i had read, that Don and Phil were tired of each other by that time, but if they were, it doesn't show on the album.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx