gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:48:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phil Everly, RIP.  (Read 28299 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »

Phil mentioned in some interviews that he just doesn't want to go on tour. Dunno if there were other reasons as well.

Here's an appearance by Don in 2011 at a Paul Simon show. I haven't seen or heard other recent appearances by him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QGjEmo-_c

Thanks for that clip. Good to see Don looking well. Perhaps Phil was right about lowering the keys, because Don sounds a little strained on the high notes there. It also seems as though both brothers were ready to retire. Nice that they left on a high note. Phil was still active with his son's guitar string company, so he was having a good life himself after retirement.
There are a few recent clips on youtube where Phil is promoting the guitar strings, and he sure looks healthy and happy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

Phil mentioned in some interviews that he just doesn't want to go on tour. Dunno if there were other reasons as well.

Here's an appearance by Don in 2011 at a Paul Simon show. I haven't seen or heard other recent appearances by him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QGjEmo-_c

Thanks for that clip. Good to see Don looking well. Perhaps Phil was right about lowering the keys, because Don sounds a little strained on the high notes there. It also seems as though both brothers were ready to retire. Nice that they left on a high note. Phil was still active with his son's guitar string company, so he was having a good life himself after retirement.
There are a few recent clips on youtube where Phil is promoting the guitar strings, and he sure looks healthy and happy.

There's also what might be the last "new" recording of him we will hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYfs2HFLCI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 04:56:46 PM »

Phil also had the idea behind Warren Zevon's biggest hit... Warren was in the Everly Brothers touring band, and Phil was talking about a great old English horror film, saying that Warren should do a song and name it after the movie - thus was born "Werewolves of London"!  Phil thought they should write it with the idea of it becoming a dance craze, everyone would be doing the "werewolves of London" dance. Took 15 minutes to write the tune...
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »

r.i.p. Sad

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »

I saw the EBs on their 1984 Reunion tour.. Nov 9th, 1984 at the Cornwall Coliseum, Carlyon Bay, St. Austell.
(Was living and working in England at the time.) Was a great show! They were amazing. Still have my stub and program.

RIP Phil

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 05:22:36 AM »

It's Phil's birthday today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LgmCvMNr7g

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:30 AM »

These pictures were posted on Facebook. They were take on May 20th 2013:

http://davidwalterbanks.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Phil-Everly/G0000t6klHPmgRco/I0000E6_GrbNyRBM

http://davidwalterbanks.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Phil-Everly/G0000t6klHPmgRco/I0000APudxaGmvwI
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:39:56 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »

It's going to take me a long time to get over Phil's death. The Everlys music just speaks to me in way most other stuff doesn't. And the great thing is, there's so much of it. I have maybe 10-15 of their albums, and that's only scratching the surface.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 11:31:04 PM »

It's going to take me a long time to get over Phil's death. The Everlys music just speaks to me in way most other stuff doesn't. And the great thing is, there's so much of it. I have maybe 10-15 of their albums, and that's only scratching the surface.

The Rhino 4-CD box set Heartaches & Harmonies is a quite comprehensive anthology, but there are a lot of essentials tracks that couldn't be squeezed in. And even in the 20 or so years since it out, there have been several releases of unheard demos and alternate takes.  I have the feeling there's a lot of Everly music that we still have yet to hear, which is sure for the best.

As one of the articles after Phil's passing pointed out, the quality of their work - even on albums, where a lot of their contemporaries were found lacking - is extraordinarily consistent, right into the era after their reunion. 

I was out of the country when Phil died, and his passing shook me.  Not least, because though born in Chicago and raised in Iowa, his (and Don's) Kentucky roots ran so deep, spiritually, that their music always makes me proud I was born in that state.

I saw them perform at the Kentucky State Fair in Louisville in 1985. It was the closest they had come to their parents' hometown of Central City since they got back together and I heard that close to a hundred of their kinfolk came up for it and were in the front rows. "It's sure good to see your faces after so long," said Don between songs.   Easily among the three or four greatest shows I ever witnessed.

One thing that came to mind was that the Everlys never did get the Kennedy Center Honors treatment.  There's no doubt that Dylan, Brian and Sir Paul, to mention three such honorees, would say they deserved to be among that number. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »

The Rhino 4-CD box set Heartaches & Harmonies is a quite comprehensive anthology, but there are a lot of essentials tracks that couldn't be squeezed in. And even in the 20 or so years since it out, there have been several releases of unheard demos and alternate takes.  I have the feeling there's a lot of Everly music that we still have yet to hear, which is sure for the best.

As one of the articles after Phil's passing pointed out, the quality of their work - even on albums, where a lot of their contemporaries were found lacking - is extraordinarily consistent, right into the era after their reunion. 

I was out of the country when Phil died, and his passing shook me.  Not least, because though born in Chicago and raised in Iowa, his (and Don's) Kentucky roots ran so deep, spiritually, that their music always makes me proud I was born in that state.

I saw them perform at the Kentucky State Fair in Louisville in 1985. It was the closest they had come to their parents' hometown of Central City since they got back together and I heard that close to a hundred of their kinfolk came up for it and were in the front rows. "It's sure good to see your faces after so long," said Don between songs.   Easily among the three or four greatest shows I ever witnessed.

One thing that came to mind was that the Everlys never did get the Kennedy Center Honors treatment.  There's no doubt that Dylan, Brian and Sir Paul, to mention three such honorees, would say they deserved to be among that number. 
Definitely! I thought it was very nice when Little Richard showed up to honor Chuck Berry a dozen or so years ago - still waiting for the roles to be reversed.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 01:35:40 AM »

Everly Brothers' legacy saluted at Americana Music Assn. show

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-everly-brothers-tribute-americana-bonnie-raitt-20140126,0,7554842.story#ixzz2radKK6BA

Crowell read a letter from Don, who did not attend, with his first extensive public comment on his brother’s death.

“I’m sorry I can’t be there in person,” Everly wrote, “and really appreciate the recognition. Right now, I’m mourning the loss of my little brother and suffering from a broken heart. His death has saddened me profoundly. I love him very much. He will always be missed.
“Phil was a great singer,” Crowell continued reading. “It’s nice to see how his, and our, legacy is being honored. Thank you for the tribute. Phil would have been proud.”

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/everly-brothers-song-sales-up-669608

"Everly Brothers' Song Sales Up 696 Percent Following Phil Everly's Death"

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »

Billie Joe Feat. Miranda Lambert - When I Will Be Loved Live @ Grammy Awards, LA 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3X0CyBwntg

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »

Today is Don's birthday. But as you can see at the message below that was posted in the Facebook-group, it's not a happy day.

Dear Everly Brothers Friends & fans
The Donald Everly Family Lawyers kindly requested
to post this on our Everly Group site!

The Donald and Phillip Everly family are still in mournin,
Please NO Birthday Wishes for Don Everly's Birthday !

On another note, the new official Everly Brothers fansite is online:

http://everlybrothers.net/

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:35 AM »

So much was written about the bitterness, feuding, etc between Don and Phil - IMO blown out of proportion, I mean YOU trying singing into one microphone with your brother night after night for several decades - but it's obvious now that Don truly, deeply loved his brother. Let's keep thinking positive thoughts, healing thoughts for Don, send some prayers his way.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »

http://www.copdfoundation.org/PhilEverlyMemorial.aspx

Phil Everly Memorial Fund

The COPD Foundation would like to express our heartfelt condolences to Patti Everly and her family on the loss of her husband, Phil Everly. We are grateful to them for extending his legacy by making a commitment to support our efforts to eradicate this disease. We are motivated by their support to continue to make progress through research to ultimately find a cure for COPD, so individuals such as Phil will not have to suffer.

Phil passed away Friday, January 3, 2014 in Burbank, Calif. at the age of 74 due to complications from COPD. The Everly family would like contributions to be made in memory of Phil to the COPD Foundation, to help us fight this terrible disease.

According to the LATimes.com, Phil Everly and his brother Don made up the most revered vocal duo of the rock-music era, their exquisite harmonies profoundly influencing the Beatles, the Beach Boys, the Byrds and countless younger-generation rock, folk and country singers.

Phil Everly was born in Chicago, IL on January 19, 1939, but grew up in Iowa. He began singing country music with his brother in 1945 on his family's radio show in Shenandoah, Iowa. Notable songs of the Everly Brothers was "Cathy's Clown", "Wake up Little Susie", "Bye Bye Love", "When Will I Be Loved", and "All I Have to Do is Dream". The Everly Brothers were inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, and were known for mixing rock 'n' roll music with country music. Phil Everly last performed in public in 2011, but his son Jason said he had been actively writing songs, living part of the year in Burbank and the rest in Nashville. He said his father had been in the hospital for about two weeks when he passed away. Though the COPD caused by smoking affected his health, Jason Everly said it never affected his voice. Everly married his third wife Patti (current wife) in 1999. His 2 children are from previous marriages.

The Everly family thanks you for your support in memory of their angel.
- See more at: http://www.copdfoundation.org/PhilEverlyMemorial.aspx#sthash.VAi2oVEO.dpuf

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »

Rocker - thanks for all the posts... I am still saddened greatly by Phil's death.  Been listening to Roots and some of their more obscure stuff from late '60's and early '70's.  Also Pass the Chicken and Listen...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:27 AM »

Rocker - thanks for all the posts... I am still saddened greatly by Phil's death.  Been listening to Roots and some of their more obscure stuff from late '60's and early '70's.  Also Pass the Chicken and Listen...
Pass the Chicken is a fine album - IMHO better than Stories We Could Tell. I saw a few interviews of Phil from the later years where they asked him if he and Don would make another album, and Phil said "there were a lot of them that nobody bought" so he didn't feel any burning desire to add to the legacy.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »

Did I mention the nice everly bio that TNN did a few years back?   I found it on YOUTUBE in it's entirety.  See it if you haven't.  A lot of Don interview and reflection.  Also family history and a lot of background.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 11:35:15 PM »

Did I mention the nice everly bio that TNN did a few years back?   I found it on YOUTUBE in it's entirety.  See it if you haven't.  A lot of Don interview and reflection.  Also family history and a lot of background.
There were a couple of those that aired pretty close together. The other one might have been on A&E, and both brothers were interviewed for that one. In one of them, Don came across as mostly bitter about how their career turned out, seemed very serious, didn't smile; in the other one, he is laughing and smiling, and seems more at ease about things. Maybe he was "the moody one". Phil always seems pretty easy going anytime I've seen him interviewed, including a couple videos from the last year or two.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2014, 03:34:28 AM »

You can now order these two albums on one disc:

http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Chicken-Listen-Stories-Could/dp/B00JAD137M/ref=sr_1_12?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1397616408&sr=1-12&keywords=everly+brothers

Pass the Chicken & Listen/Stories We Could Tell

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2014, 03:44:03 AM »

Stars and fans will never say 'Bye Bye Love' to the Everly Brothers, as Music Masters show proves (concert review)

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2014/10/stars_and_fans_will_never_say.html

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »

Stories We Could Tell seemed to get more attention in the press, but I actually like Pass the Chicken and Listen better. Glad they are available again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2016, 05:22:13 AM »

Just saw this rocking version of "The Price Of Love" on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQsTg8GMd0

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2016, 11:31:58 PM »

Been listening to the Evs a lot lately. It's such a large catalog, always more to discover. Lately, I've been playing their solo records. I especially enjoy hearing Phil's solo albums, it was so rare to hear him sing solo when they were together.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx