gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:18:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phil Everly, RIP.  (Read 28295 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »

What a loss. I grew up on the Everly Bros. harmonies. Their music will be forever a part of my life.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-phil-everly-of-the-everly-brothers-dies-at-74-20140103,0,2091176.story

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

The news just came over the radio. I was just getting ready to post this. They were a big influence on the Beach Boys and the Beatles. Many others as well.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »

R.I.P.
I can't believe this.
In fact, I only found out just now through this thread.

Guess there's no chance of a Everly Brothers reunion.
Wonder what Don's reaction was?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:38:55 PM »

Oh, man, that's sad to hear.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »

RIP, Sad to hear.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »

RIP very sad. Sad

And what's really creepy is, last night I had a dream in which I was singing the song "Alll I Have To Do Is Dream."  Cry

The dream also had a Carpenters song in it, so if Richard Carpenter bites the dust any time soon, you can blame me!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »

sh*t.  Sad

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »

Sad news indeed. My love for the Everly Bros. predates my love for the BB.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:06:39 PM »

Man, That's very sad to hear.  Embarrassed

RIP
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:42 AM »

I had the great fortune of seeing the Everly Brothers perform together as part of Simon & Garfunkel's Old Friends tour. 

Such a beautiful sound he and Don had together, very sad news indeed.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:49:52 AM »

I just learned that Phil Everly died of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. The same thing that killed my dad n 2009. This both saddens me and pisses me off. My dad fought for eight years with it. It felt more like twenty. What an evil bastard of a disease.  Angry Sorry to "rant" a little here. May Phil rest in peace. I hope that wherever he is now, he's feeling like his old self again, happy and healthy.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:37:35 AM »

This sucks that all the legends are starting to pass, in fact it's becoming a monthly occurrence. I'm digging out my Everly Brothers cds today to pay my respects. Their influence on Rock and Roll is immeasurable. No Everlys = no Beatles. RIP you Birddog.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:45 AM »

Oh sh*t, no.. Undecided  R.I.P., Phil. Thank you for all the beauty.

(...)

That's it - this is going to be an Everly kind of a saturday. Angry Take that, death!!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 05:05:59 AM »

Just saw it on TV. I'm really sad about this. The Everlys were such a great act! R.I.P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEO3K7msUcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF4FXPKDeOU

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 05:18:52 AM »

RIP Phil

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/phil-everly-rip.html
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »

It's already been said; the Everlys were the best.

Didn't know his mom was still alive. She must be one tough ol' gal.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »

Fron Brian's Facebook page:

My heart is so incredibly saddened by the passing of Phil Everly. The Everly Bros music was a huge inspiration for me growing up. As brothers, those harmonies just sound so sweet and tender, I think it's a family thing. I could never get enough of their voices. Love and Mercy to his family, friends and devoted fans.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »

Some trivia: Phil was the owner of the Everly Music Company, maker of a.o. Everly guitar strings.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »

The Everly Brothers were spectacular.  I was fortunate enough to see them during their reunion tour in the '80's.  Their "Roots" album is beautiful.  All the early hits are timeless, and I also love their "Pass the Chicken and Listen" album.  I'd also recommend lesser known songs like "Empty Boxes", "The Lord of the Manor" and "On My Way Home Again".  Phil will be missed greatly, may he rest in peace.  I'll do my crying in the rain...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »

No Everlys = no Beatles.

Well..........I dunno about that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »

No Everlys = no Beatles.

Well..........I dunno about that.

Why? When you hear John and Paul harmonizing, you are hearing them imitating the Everly Brothers.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »

The Everly's were one of many influences on the Beatles. If the Everly Bros. weren't around, that doesn't mean the Beatles wouldn't have existed.  Sometimes the Beatles were referred to as the English Everly Brothers. Here's a comparison of their early stuff though - the harmonies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJF1jDml6I

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

I'm so glad I got to see the Everly Bros. singing live.  I caught them at a county fair a few years after their first reunion, and went back to see them three more times. They had some kind of third element that would come in when their two voices combined. I've seen a lot of live acts singing live harmony, but none of them had that quality that the brothers had. It's just too bad they didn't get along better and continue with touring, because according to Phil's son, he could still sing in spite of the lung problem.

The Everlys appeared with the Beach Boys on their 25th anniversary special. I had forgotten about it until looking for some Everly clips. The Everlys did "Don't Worry Baby" (which they had done for the "Tequila Sunrise" film soundtrack), lip-synced a bit of "Getcha Back" with the Boys, and a little bit of "Wake Up, Little Susie":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0lRlXq3tc
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »

The Everly's were one of many influences on the Beatles. If the Everly Bros. weren't around, that doesn't mean the Beatles wouldn't have existed.  Sometimes the Beatles were referred to as the English Everly Brothers. Here's a comparison of their early stuff though - the harmonies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJF1jDml6I

Funny your posting this clip, as one of the comments  is a supposed? Lennon quote refuting your post:   

>>Without the Everly Brothers, There would have been no Beatles": John Lennon <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »

Also no Simon and Garfunkel.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx