gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:56:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracks that feature a "Wall of Brians"  (Read 11921 times)
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

I'm looking for Beach Boys' recordings that feature Brian multi-tracking himself.

Examples off the top of my head:

Happy Birthday Four Freshmen
Vegetables [Ballad Insert]
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulders) [Unused Background Vocals]

What else is there?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:09:23 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »

"Wipe Out" ?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:31:14 PM »

KOMA (radio spot)
The Surfer Moon (?)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:36:10 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »

Sounds like Brian is doing all of the strange harmonies/background vocals on "Transcendental Meditation"

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »

I'm Waiting for the Day is all Brian.  I thought for a long time that I Just Wasn't Made for These Times was Brian solo but supposedly there are some Beach Boys vocals buried in the mix, there's been discussion on the board about that. 

A lot of his solo recordings before Foskett, the Wondermints and company got involved were just Brian.  I think the '88 album is almost entirely Brian on vocals except for on Night Time and Walkin' the Line.   Also Andy Paley does some additional backing but in terms of what you can hear, it's very much "Wall of Brian."  Every song on Imagination except for South American which features Jimmy Buffett is just Brian.  Nearly every song on Gettin' In Over My Head is just Brian except for the guest appearances by Sirs Paul and Elton, Carl on Soul Searchin' and the band on Desert Drive.  Live Let Live on the Arctic Tale soundtrack is just Brian.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:28:12 AM »

Sounds like Brian is doing all of the strange harmonies/background vocals on "Transcendental Meditation"

Correct.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 02:12:58 AM »

Hand on My Shoulder on Anton Fig's Figments album has a wall of BW backing vox, which are isolated as a bonus track.

The new Jimmy Webb album Still Within The Sound of My Voice has a wall of BWs and Jeffs on the track MacArthur Park. Not entirely sure (yet) but there might be other Jeff involvement on the album.

“We live in divisive times.”
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 02:28:21 AM »

I'm Waiting for the Day is all Brian.

This is...not true and is repeated here all the time.  It's Mike doing the bass vocal and he's also audible at 1:09 ("Baby don'tcha know")  and he's doing the "No's" and "uh-uh" starting at 2:37 on the tag.  This is clearer if you listen to the various vocal overdub mixes on the SOT box.  I also hear at least Carl and Mike on the BGV.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 02:46:12 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:32:35 PM by zatch » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 02:57:19 AM »

One of the best BW backing vocals, "Adios" by Linda Ronstadt, features a wall of Brian's.  I'm still not sure about "Wipe Out".  The bass vocals sound so Mike.  The rest is Brian IMHO.  Has anyone managed to get a definitive answer?
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 05:23:19 AM »

Not a 'wall' of Brians per se, but all Brian on 'Busy Doin' Nothing'.
He does a continious background note through the song and also blows a raspberry... (OOps it).
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:35 AM »

Not a 'wall' of Brians per se, but all Brian on 'Busy Doin' Nothing'.
He does a continious background note through the song and also blows a raspberry... (OOps it).

For along time I thought this song was just Brian until I read a post on this MB. Once you notice Marilyn's vocals you can't unhear it  Azn

Best Wall of Brians would be Your Imagination.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »

One of the best BW backing vocals, "Adios" by Linda Ronstadt, features a wall of Brian's.  I'm still not sure about "Wipe Out".  The bass vocals sound so Mike.  The rest is Brian IMHO.  Has anyone managed to get a definitive answer?

AGD says of 'Wipe Out' ;  '' The answers out there''
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:51 AM »

Was just about to Post ADIOS when the above poster beat me to it. Great songs with the wall of Brian BV's.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 07:22:29 AM »

One of the best BW backing vocals, "Adios" by Linda Ronstadt, features a wall of Brian's. 

I would say THE best. A masterful arrangement, performance, and recording. The fact that it was a very well-written and beautiful song no doubt inspired Brian.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »

Metal Beach
Your Imagination (vocals only)

Question, is the unreleased background vocals to Don't Talk all Brian or are the Boys included? I always thought it was all the Boys as well
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:32:55 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »

Is Delirious Love with Neil Diamond all Brian on Backing Vocals?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 08:57:05 AM »

Also, if you can find it, the backing vocals to Elton John and Leon Russell's When Live is Dying...it's such a good song besides the great featuring of Brian's vocals

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »

Hidden snippet at the end of TLOS.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

California by Belinda Carlisle, IIRC

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »

No mention of "One For The Boys" on BW 88? That's a perfect example of Wall of Brian's. Late 80s Brian voice and not a Beach Boys track, but still very impressive imo.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:14:00 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:32:20 PM by zatch » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »

Let us not forget the Rhaosody in Blue bookends.

Good shout on Roll Around Heaven.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »

'He Gives Speeches', perhaps?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »

If you're talking BW bvs as opposed to BB/solo tracks, there's a rough list here:

Guest Appearences

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx