gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:21:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changes/Additions to the Sunflower LP (if any)  (Read 11434 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »

I never understood all the dislike for Tears. It's cheesy, but Bruce sings it with a lot of emotion. There are other BB songs just as overblown from around this time, but this is the one people seem to outright hate.

Agreed. Tears In The Morning, and pretty much Bruce Johnston in general is underrated.

There are other BB songs just as overblown from around this time
("4th of July," "It's About Time")

It's About Time is a great song, and in no way is it overblown

I think Sunflower would have befitted considerably from having "Midnight's Another Day" and "From There To Back Again" on it instead of, oh, say, "This Whole World" and "Forever".

Forever was the best part of the album for me  Grin.  That was the song that showed that Denny had arrived  Bow

While it is one of Denny's best moments, I do prefer It's About Time and Slip On Through over Forever.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »

I never understood all the dislike for Tears. It's cheesy, but Bruce sings it with a lot of emotion. There are other BB songs just as overblown from around this time, but this is the one people seem to outright hate.

Agreed. Tears In The Morning, and pretty much Bruce Johnston in general is underrated.

There are other BB songs just as overblown from around this time

("4th of July," "It's About Time")

It's About Time is a great song, and in no way is it overblown

I think Sunflower would have befitted considerably from having "Midnight's Another Day" and "From There To Back Again" on it instead of, oh, say, "This Whole World" and "Forever".

Forever was the best part of the album for me  Grin.  That was the song that showed that Denny had arrived  Bow

While it is one of Denny's best moments, I do prefer It's About Time and Slip On Through over Forever.

I love the acapella version of Slip On Through and my brother turns on It's About Time whenever he gets a chance  Grin.  There's a clip on YouTube of them in Paris singing it 1970 and there was only one guy standin up dancin  LOL LOL LOL but that songs the jam I don't care what any one says  Cheesy  Head Spin Rock! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7lsV6i4V4

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 02:11:40 AM »

I suspect AGD may have been joking...

Ok, how about this for a Sunflower album:

SIDE 1.

1. Slip On Through
2. This Whole World
3. Add Some Music To Your Day
4. Got To Know The Woman
5. San Miguel
6. I'm Going Your Way

SIDE 2.

1. The Lord's Prayer
2. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
3. Where Is She
4. Susie Cincinnati
5. Deirdre
6. It's About Time

SIDE 3.

1. Celebrate The News
2. Mona Kani
3. All I Wanna Do
4. Forever
5. Our Sweet Love
6. Tears In The Morning

SIDE 4.

1. Games Two Can Play
2. Carnival
3. Sound Of Free
4. Lady
5. Breakaway
6. At My Window
7. Cool Cool Water

Smiley
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 02:45:13 AM »

SIDE 1.

1. Slip On Through
2. This Whole World
4. Got To Know The Woman
5. San Miguel
6. I'm Going Your Way

SIDE 2.

1. The Lord's Prayer
3. Where Is She
4. Susie Cincinnati
5. Deirdre
6. It's About Time

SIDE 3.

1. Celebrate The News
2. Mona Kani
3. All I Wanna Do
4. Forever
5. Our Sweet Love
6. Tears In The Morning

SIDE 4.

1. Games Two Can Play
2. Carnival
3. Sound Of Free
4. Lady
5. Breakaway
6. At My Window
7. Cool Cool Water

Smiley

That would have been wonderful for all of us, but it would have been an even bigger and more costly flop at the time.

I think Sunflower should have been released as a single album with only minor alterations (Got to Know The Woman and Tears In The Morning are the weak links for me) but some of the more offbeat Brian songs of the time should have been issued as a separate EP, with Good Time as the lead track.

I'm not really a fan of Soulful Old Man Sunshine, too sappy and cheery. Though it is kind of commercial.

Please delete my account
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »

Andrew, I really really like your new found humorous way of spoofing certain posters' habit of ignoring the timeline! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 03:07:54 AM »

The only Sunflower track I didn't like at first was Tears In The Morning. I was shocked when I later learned it was recorded on the very day I was born... Shocked In the meantime I learned to bear and not skip it. Wink 2

Here's my take at a fantasy Sunflower double album:

1A
1. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
2. This Whole World
4. Deirdre
5. Got To Know The Woman
6. It's About Time

1B

1. Our Sweet Love
2. Slip On Through
3. Tears In The Morning
4. All I Wanna Do
5. Forever
6. At My Window

2A

1. Loop De Loop
2. Susie Cincinnati
3. San Miguel
4. H.E.L.P. Is On The Way
5. Take A Load Off Your Feet, Pete
6. Games Two Can Play
7. Carnival

2B

1. I Just Got My Pay
2. Good Time
3. Big Sur
4. Lady
5. When Girls Get Together
6. Lookin' At Tomorrow

Looking at this now, maybe that would work better as two single albums... For a double album "At My Window" and "Lookin' At Tomorrow" should switch places.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »

Is there a specific reason San Miguel was left off Sunflower? And Break Away for that matter?
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »

Take A Load Off would have fit really well on Sunflower (it was recorded during that time wasn't it?).. It sounds so out of place by the time it was included on Surfs Up.

It is also a shame that they abandoned such great tunes like "Mona Kani", "San Miguel" and "Where Is She".. Excellent tunes that I like more than most of Sunflower honestly.

I will say that I wish Sunflower had more of either the delicate side (At My Window) or the silly, whimsical, catchy and singalong-able type songs (Add Some Music, Good Time etc) that Brian was coming up with. In that case I guess I don't really mind Got To Know The Woman since Dennis tried to do that. However the overblown type songs was a forced attempt at gaining acceptance from the currently circa 1970 very pretentious rock crowd and that's where the album gets a bit iffy with me. They did it more on Surfs Up than Sunflower, but it was emerging with songs like "It's About Time".

It's a shame the BBs had such trouble with record sales or getting a hit in the late 60s-early 70s. They could have just done their own thing and avoided a lot of the contrived attempts at acceptance. Thankfully it didn't get bad until after 1974, but that's another discussion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:48:01 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »

Is there a specific reason San Miguel was left off Sunflower? And Break Away for that matter?

I would assume "Break Away" was left off because it was released on a different label than Sunflower was.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 01:00:11 PM »

I would assume "Break Away" was left off because it was released on a different label than Sunflower was.

That would make sense.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 04:28:06 PM »

SIDE 1.

1. Slip On Through
2. This Whole World
4. Got To Know The Woman
5. San Miguel
6. I'm Going Your Way

SIDE 2.

1. The Lord's Prayer
3. Where Is She
4. Susie Cincinnati
5. Deirdre
6. It's About Time

SIDE 3.

1. Celebrate The News
2. Mona Kani
3. All I Wanna Do
4. Forever
5. Our Sweet Love
6. Tears In The Morning

SIDE 4.

1. Games Two Can Play
2. Carnival
3. Sound Of Free
4. Lady
5. Breakaway
6. At My Window
7. Cool Cool Water

Smiley

Excellent lineup. My only exception would be the inclusion of Al's "Cotton Fields."
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »

Uh, you forgot to throw in one of these:  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »

Actually that would then match my personal Surfin' Safari tracklist.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2014, 12:42:02 AM »

Uh, you forgot to throw in one of these:  Grin

Nope - wasn't joking.

OK, yeah, I was...  Hello

Point being, to say Album X would have been better if "Tune Y" (which was recorded after said album was released) was included is as stupid as giving Columbus a hard time for not using GPS and not having a marine diesel in the Santa Maria.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2014, 12:47:41 AM »

SIDE 1.

1. Slip On Through
2. This Whole World
4. Got To Know The Woman
5. San Miguel
6. I'm Going Your Way

SIDE 2.

1. The Lord's Prayer
3. Where Is She
4. Susie Cincinnati
5. Deirdre
6. It's About Time

SIDE 3.

1. Celebrate The News
2. Mona Kani
3. All I Wanna Do
4. Forever
5. Our Sweet Love
6. Tears In The Morning

SIDE 4.

1. Games Two Can Play
2. Carnival
3. Sound Of Free
4. Lady
5. Breakaway
6. At My Window
7. Cool Cool Water

Smiley

Excellent lineup. My only exception would be the inclusion of Al's "Cotton Fields."

Ah, yes - of course!! Ok then, much as I love Mona Kani I must say it didn't quite feel right including it (to me, it's more of a 'should've been on 20/20' track - so I'll replace MK with Cotton Fields. Also, add I Just Got My Pay after I'm Going Your Way on side 1, just to end the first side on more of a light-hearted note. And, bang!, there's your perfect Sunflower double album!

(For the record, I didn't include Big Sur because we'd get it on Holland anyway, and in a superior version (YES!!); I didn't include Loop De Loop and HELP because they're fun but basically throwaway B-side silliness; and I didn't include Feet because it was bad on Surf's Up and it'd be bad on Sunflower too...)  

SIDE 1.

1. Slip On Through
2. This Whole World
4. Got To Know The Woman
5. San Miguel
6. I'm Going Your Way
7. I Just Got My Pay

SIDE 2.

1. The Lord's Prayer
3. Where Is She
4. Susie Cincinnati
5. Deirdre
6. It's About Time

SIDE 3.

1. Celebrate The News
2. Cotton Fields
3. All I Wanna Do
4. Forever
5. Our Sweet Love
6. Tears In The Morning

SIDE 4.

1. Games Two Can Play
2. Carnival
3. Sound Of Free
4. Lady
5. Breakaway
6. At My Window
7. Cool Cool Water
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2014, 01:09:07 AM »

The Beach Boys often had 1 or 2 weak tracks on an album, but I would not change a thing about Sunflower. A very pleasurable listening experience from beginning to end.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »

One more change replace The Lords Prayer with Back home. Loop de Loop should be on the double album somewhere .
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »

One more change replace The Lords Prayer with Back home. Loop de Loop should be on the double album somewhere .

Back Home... yeah it's pretty good actually. But I don't agree re Loop de Loop. Sail Plane Song perhaps...
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »

....and with that, history was changed.

Hey, why am I fading?  Shocked
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

Don't forget Big Sur.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2014, 02:21:32 AM »

Sunflower is one of just a few BBs albums that I will listen to from start to finish without skipping anything.  I realize that it does not contain 10s across the board, but it is all very listenable to me, and I would not change a thing.

Now, Surf's Up is a whole different story--peaks and valleys throughout.  THAT'S a potentially excellent album in dire need of a make over!  First thing I would do is pitch out that putrid opening track and work from there!

Give me "Don't Go Near The Water" over "Tears In The Morning" or "Got To Know The Woman" any day.
Agree with you lots of time!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx