gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:18:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changes/Additions to the Sunflower LP (if any)  (Read 11432 times)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 01:17:35 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:32:39 PM by zatch » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 01:48:03 AM »

I think an expanded Sunflower reissue could even be profitable. A box set like 'The Pet Sounds Sessions' or 'The Smile Sessions' probably wouldn't be the way to go, though. It would probably be wiser to model it after the Pacific Ocean Blue reissue: a double CD in a nice digipack (also available as a 3 LP set on sunflower yellow vinyl, of course), stuffed to the max with bonus material. If there's a market for POB, I don't see why there shouldn't be one for Sunflower. The album could easily be marketed as the Beach Boys' forgotten "third masterpiece" after 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile', as the album that has some of Dennis's greatest and some of Brian's most underrated songs.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 03:38:12 AM »

I love Sunflower and wouldn't touch it, though am not totally enamoured of Got To Know The Woman and Deidre.

I would, however, love to see a Sunflower 'sessions' box (or double CD), with a cappella versions and tracks that were recorded/considered for this album in its various permutations.

Here's the back of a double I put together recently. Nearly all the songs were considered, in on form or another, for the Sunflower/Reverberation/Add Some Music album. I know some were recorded after the date the final version of Sunflower was submitted, but I wanted to tidy up a few loose ends - and that's why I included a few songs that predated those sessions.

I should point out that most of these tracks are legally available.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:42:28 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 04:04:16 AM »

I love Sunflower and wouldn't touch it, though am not totally enamoured of It's Got To Know The Woman and Deidre.

I would, however, love to see a Sunflower 'sessions' box (or double CD), with a cappella versions and tracks that were recorded/considered for this album in its various permutations.

Here's the back of a double I put together recently. Nearly all the songs were considered, in on form or another, for the Sunflower/Reverberation/Add Some Music album. I know some were recorded after the date the fianl version of Sunflower was submitted, but I wanted to tidy up a few loose ends - and that's why I included a few songs that predated those sessions.

Marvellous…  I hope Universal Music is watching!

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 04:47:54 AM »

Replace At My Window with Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Replace Our Sweet Love with Lady

Then Sunflower would be a better album.

P.S. It's About Time is the best song from the whole album, enough with the hate on that song

It's About Time is an AMAZING song! This is an album with gooey schmaltz like Tears In The Morning and people are talking about removing a kiss-ass track like IAT?? Madness!!

The only change I'd make to Sunflower is replace TITM with Lady - it fits perfectly between IAT and AIWD.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »

Got To Know The Woman is such a throwaway track compared to the rest of the album. The original mix of Good Time would have been a much better choice in it's place.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »

I stand corrected  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »

Agreed. Sunflower isn't even in my top 5 favorite BB albums, but it's the one album Mark and Alan definitely need to make a boxset for.

Until then, I'm happy with the Sunflower extras on MiC (Our Sweet Love w/ Strings is such a standout on that set).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »

Hey, enough with the hatin' on GOT TO KNOW THE WOMAN. As far as I'm concerned, the only truly effed-up thing about this board is the Stepford-like anathema for such a fun, vibrant soul sendup. Some weird "pack animal" animus has taken over you guys. For eff's sake, lighten up already!

Smilin' Ed's approach is a good one, and it's been discussed a number of times before--compile it all and give that extremely productive, anarchic, and wide-ranging creative time period its full due. But Ed, you can't leave off anything. GOT TO KNOW THE WOMAN has to be on that set, regardless of the furrowed brows of the haters. They can skip past it just the way some of us skip by Bruce's tracks, or AT MY WINDOW (sorry, Range Rover!) or ADD SOME MUSIC or OUR SWEET LOVE.

All for one, and each to his own, you misguided taste-makers!!!  Smokin
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »

Hey, enough with the hatin' on GOT TO KNOW THE WOMAN. As far as I'm concerned, the only truly effed-up thing about this board is the Stepford-like anathema for such a fun, vibrant soul sendup. Some weird "pack animal" animus has taken over you guys. For eff's sake, lighten up already!

The line "Got to know the woman" is repeated at least 20 times in this song...not to mention the amount of "got to got to got to got to"s

The backing track sounds incredible, Dennis's lead is one of his strongest (which is why I'm in full support of a boxset full of vocal only/backing tracks). But these lyrics just drag on and on. I really wish I could like this song, but I can't!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »

The line "Got to know the woman" is repeated at least 20 times in this song...not to mention the amount of "got to got to got to got to"s

The backing track sounds incredible, Dennis's lead is one of his strongest (which is why I'm in full support of a boxset full of vocal only/backing tracks). But these lyrics just drag on and on. I really wish I could like this song, but I can't!

I guess I don't really mind Got To Know The Woman but it just seems so much weaker than any of the other material. The production is really good, it's just a very underwritten song I guess. Then again it's harmless I suppose, I wouldn't care if it was ditched or not.

I really do think Tears In The Morning shouldn't have been on there. Maybe it should have been a single only release or something but another Brian track would have really helped. I think part of why I am not in love with Sunflower compared to other of their classic non-Pet Sounds/Smile albums of the 60s and 70s is the hodgepodge nature of this album similar to 20/20. So many songs from Dennis on here and then they stick a random Bruce song in there. I guess that's my fault though because I just think Bruce should have left off his compositions except 'Deidre', which at least was a collaboration. To have 2 from him at the same time and 3-4 from Dennis is a little much I think, especially considering how much material Brian has been doing at this period that got totally abandoned.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

What if Denny had written "GTKTW" earlier would it fit better in one of their earlier records (since a lot of you don't seem to think it fits on this one)....imagine if he had sang this song in 1964/65 instead of "The Wanderer"  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:58:47 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

Smilin' Ed's approach is a good one, and it's been discussed a number of times before--compile it all and give that extremely productive, anarchic, and wide-ranging creative time period its full due. But Ed, you can't leave off anything. GOT TO KNOW THE WOMAN has to be on that set, regardless of the furrowed brows of the haters. They can skip past it just the way some of us skip by Bruce's tracks, or AT MY WINDOW (sorry, Range Rover!) or ADD SOME MUSIC or OUR SWEET LOVE.

All for one, and each to his own, you misguided taste-makers!!!  Smokin

Not everyone hates it Don - it's one of my favourites on the whole album! Dennis having the time of his life, with a fantastic melody and brilliant and inventive backing vocals - what's not to like?? I'm really not looking forward to seeing it inevitably get booted off early in the Sunflower Survivor round...
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »

Always liked "Got to Know the Woman". Jerry Lee Lewis might have done something cool with that tune. The final SUNFLOWER lineup had a bit too much Bruce and not quite enough Al.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »

Always liked "Got to Know the Woman". Jerry Lee Lewis might have done something cool with that tune. The final SUNFLOWER lineup had a bit too much Bruce and not quite enough Al.

it's one of Denny's best vocals in my opinion  Grin

-Dennis Wilson
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »

I love Sunflower and wouldn't touch it, though am not totally enamoured of Got To Know The Woman and Deidre.

Here's the back of a double I put together recently. Nearly all the songs were considered, in on form or another, for the Sunflower/Reverberation/Add Some Music album. I know some were recorded after the date the final version of Sunflower was submitted, but I wanted to tidy up a few loose ends - and that's why I included a few songs that predated those sessions.

What's Seasons in the Sun?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »

What's Seasons in the Sun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF4MXxhChyQ

Be warned, it's rather shite.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »

I like Sunflower the way it is but Tears In the Morning is pretty insufferable. Terrible, terrible lyrics.

Sunflower was destined to be flawed because of the different musical interests of all the band's songwriters. All of their early 70s albums are so schizophrenic. It's part of the charm, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:38:11 PM by Gabo » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »

Sunflower is one of just a few BBs albums that I will listen to from start to finish without skipping anything.  I realize that it does not contain 10s across the board, but it is all very listenable to me, and I would not change a thing.

Now, Surf's Up is a whole different story--peaks and valleys throughout.  THAT'S a potentially excellent album in dire need of a make over!  First thing I would do is pitch out that putrid opening track and work from there!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 07:22:21 PM »

Sunflower is one of just a few BBs albums that I will listen to from start to finish without skipping anything.  I realize that it does not contain 10s across the board, but it is all very listenable to me, and I would not change a thing.

Now, Surf's Up is a whole different story--peaks and valleys throughout.  THAT'S a potentially excellent album in dire need of a make over!  First thing I would do is pitch out that putrid opening track and work from there!
Agreed! Every track on Sunflower does it for me. There are lesser tracks, but nothing bad in the slightest. Surf's Up, however, is horrendously flawed, especially considering all the great material left out.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:24:40 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »

Sunflower is one of just a few BBs albums that I will listen to from start to finish without skipping anything.  I realize that it does not contain 10s across the board, but it is all very listenable to me, and I would not change a thing.

Now, Surf's Up is a whole different story--peaks and valleys throughout.  THAT'S a potentially excellent album in dire need of a make over!  First thing I would do is pitch out that putrid opening track and work from there!

Give me "Don't Go Near The Water" over "Tears In The Morning" or "Got To Know The Woman" any day.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »

I never understood all the dislike for Tears. It's cheesy, but Bruce sings it with a lot of emotion. There are other BB songs just as overblown from around this time, but this is the one people seem to outright hate.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »

There are other BB songs just as overblown from around this time

("4th of July," "It's About Time")
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »

I think Sunflower would have befitted considerably from having "Midnight's Another Day" and "From There To Back Again" on it instead of, oh, say, "This Whole World" and "Forever".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

I think Sunflower would have befitted considerably from having "Midnight's Another Day" and "From There To Back Again" on it instead of, oh, say, "This Whole World" and "Forever".

Forever was the best part of the album for me  Grin.  That was the song that showed that Denny had arrived  Bow

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx