gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:04:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #16 WINNER: TIME TO GET ALONE!!!  (Read 67734 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »

Nope.......
bluesno1fann
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »

Nope.......
Care to explain why?
I think I made a good point on why it should
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »

It's not a sunflower track. Simples.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »

On the European version it is.
It's the opening track on the European version
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2014, 10:32:47 PM »

So?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »

So?
The European tracklisting of Sunflower is just as important as the North American tracklisting.
Besides, I don't see how you can choose against putting the single version on
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »

So?
The European tracklisting of Sunflower is just as important as the North American tracklisting.

I tire of your barking little puppy dog. Your vote is no longer valid in this thread. I'm a afraid I can't respect your opinion anymore in this thread.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:45 PM »

So?

I tire of your barking little puppy dog. Your vote is no longer valid in this thread. I'm a afraid I can't respect your opinion anymore in this thread.

I've been voting from the very beginning! I haven't missed a single round!

What can I do to change your decision?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:40:51 PM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »

I haven't chimed in much on these Survivor threads but in his instance I think he single version of Cottonfileds needs somehow to be taken into account on the upcoming Sunflower thread. For tens of thousands of European buyers this is how Sunflower was presented to them. It wasn't a bonus track, it was part of the core album.

This area would be even more interesting if it was the Beatles' albums under debate: US or UK originals?!?!?!

“We live in divisive times.”
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »

I haven't chimed in much on these Survivor threads but in his instance I think he single version of Cottonfileds needs somehow to be taken into account on the upcoming Sunflower thread. For tens of thousands of European buyers this is how Sunflower was presented to them. It wasn't a bonus track, it was part of the core album.

This area would be even more interesting if it was the Beatles' albums under debate: US or UK originals?!?!?!

There really needs to be a Survivor Thread for the non-album singles
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »

It'd have to be the UK versions of course, as they're the albums as the Beatles - and not some US record company - intended.

Pixeltwin: It's a bit mean 'banning' someone from voting just because they ask a perfectly reasonable question about Cotton Fields. The guys new and excited and into talking about the Beach Boys - cut him some slack. No need for I'm-so-superior 'barking little puppy' comments - you're not a moderator.

Anyway... Cotton Fields
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »

h

So?

Start with using PMs to persuade Pixletwin of your eligibility rather than clogging the board.

These threads are Pixletwin's gigs and He has my support to run them how he sees fit.  P has done a great job; off his own bat, and put up with some purile demands/requests to date.

I've enjoyed voting since round 1, but the last round or two are draining my easy going live and let live disposition.

I think the argument to include Cottonfields because it was on the initial '70s UK (non-warner) is kinda flaky, given the subsequent reissues of the standard line-up on vinyl and CD several times since 71.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »

h

So?

Start with using PMs to persuade Pixletwin of your eligibility rather than clogging the board.

These threads are Pixletwin's gigs and He has my support to run them how he sees fit.  P has done a great job; off his own bat, and put up with some purile demands/requests to date.

I've enjoyed voting since round 1, but the last round or two are draining my easy going live and let live disposition.

I think the argument to include Cottonfields because it was on the initial '70s UK (non-warner) is kinda flaky, given the subsequent reissues of the standard line-up on vinyl and CD several times since 71.
I know, but I don't think Pixletwin should have banned me because I was saying Cottonfields deserves to be on the Sunflower survivor contest.
I think he went a bit too far, I did nothing wrong this time!  Angry Cry
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:19:39 AM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »

I don't think it is. The domestic versions of any artist's albums are usually seen as the "definitive" ones. Just like the UK and not the US versions of the early Beatles LPs are seen as the "real" versions. And besides that, has any post-1970 reissue of Sunflower ever included Cottonfields? I think that, like others have suggested, non-album singles should have their own thread.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:09:58 AM by shelter » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2014, 01:59:27 AM »

Anyway, I vote for Cottonfields. Because the single version is much, much better and I never cared a whole lot for the song anyway.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »

I don't think it is. The domestic versions of any artist's albums are usually seen as the "definitive" ones. Just like the UK and not the US versions of the early Beatles LPs are seen as the "real" versions. And besides that, has any post-1970 reissue of Sunflower ever included Cottonfields? I think that, like others have suggested, non-album singles should have their own thread.
Maybe so, but is that enough for a ban?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2014, 02:14:55 AM »

Maybe so, but is that enough for a ban?
Don't ask me, I didn't ban you.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2014, 02:25:48 AM »

Okay, please stop the side discussion on this. If pixletwin decides not to add Cottonfields to the tracklist of Sunflower so be it, even if many fans would like to see it happen. And indeed, although the original US version doesn't contain the single version, the original Sunflower releases almost elsewhere in the world, (not just Europe) did, on the Stateside label.  Afaik every Stateside release contained Cottonfields, one can savely assume Cotton Fields was added to the tracklist. So one can argue about it. But please don't make this a too big a point please.

Btw no-one was banned, and pixletwin cannot ban anyone, at the very most ignoring, and there's no boardrule against that.

But I do have one point  that I don't like:

The first remark isn't necessary at all, and not accepted on this board, even if you have a valid reason not to like someone else's behaviour. Personal stuff goes to PM's.

So in this case:
@ pixletwin: calm down
and @ messofhelp101: let it rest

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bluesno1fann
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2014, 02:27:55 AM »

Okay, please stop the side discussion on this. If pixletwin decides not to add Cottonfields to the tracklist of Sunflower so be it, even if many fans would like to see it happen. And indeed, although the original US version doesn't contain the single version, the original Sunflower releases almost elsewhere in the world, (not just Europe) did, on the Stateside label.  Afaik every Stateside release contained Cottonfields, one can savely assume Cotton Fields was added to the tracklist. So one can argue about it. But please don't make this a too big a point please.

Btw no-one was banned, and pixletwin cannot ban anyone, at the very most ignoring, and there's no boardrule against that.

But I do have one point  that I don't like:

The first remark isn't necessary at all, and not accepted on this board, even if you have a valid reason not to like someone else's behaviour. Personal stuff goes to PM's.

So in this case:
@ pixletwin: calm down
and @ messofhelp101: let it rest

I totally understand, and I'll just leave it at that.
But I'm still deeply upset, and I'd like Pixletwin not to ban me from voting
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2014, 02:54:18 AM »

Cotton Fields, especially since there's a better version out there.

Agreed - I love the single version but the 20/20 one just feels half-baked in comparison.

And indeed, although the original US version doesn't contain the single version, the original Sunflower releases almost elsewhere in the world, (not just Europe) did, on the Stateside label.  Afaik every Stateside release contained Cottonfields, one can savely assume Cotton Fields was added to the tracklist. So one can argue about it. But please don't make this a too big a point please.

Sorry SmileHolland, but just out of curiosity, are you suggesting the band had a hand in adding Cottonfields to the tracklist of Sunflower, or was this purely a decision by the label? I much prefer the European running order (completele with switcharound) and would love to know if the band had any input in this.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2014, 03:22:48 AM »

Be With Me.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:44 AM »

Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 08, 2014, 03:54:39 AM »

Cottonfields
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 08, 2014, 05:18:52 AM »

Sorry SmileHolland, but just out of curiosity, are you suggesting the band had a hand in adding Cottonfields to the tracklist of Sunflower, or was this purely a decision by the label? I much prefer the European running order (completele with switcharound) and would love to know if the band had any input in this.

Good question... and I can't confirm that the group had no say in it.

If I try to reconstruct the situation at the time:
- The BB got a deal with Warner Brothers
- For whatever reason their first album on Brother/Reprise (Sunflower) could not be released on that label outside the U.S. (even in 1971 outside the U.S. Surf's Up was released on Stateside)
- Except for the U.S Cotton Fields became a big hit everywhere around the world.
- Warner was able to make a deal with Stateside for releasing / distributing it on their label worldwide.

And from then on 2 scenario's are possible:

1. Stateside - seeing the potential of a good selling album which included a big hit - requested that Cotton Fields was part of the deal. And this was agreed on by either only Warner, or both Warner and the BB
2. Stateside was asked (by Warner?, The BB?, both?) to add Cotton Fields to the line-up.

At first thought I’d say the first option is more plausible, but who knows.

By the way, this still leaves the questions:
- In which way was Capitol involved in this? (Cotton Fields after all was released as their last Capitol single)
- Why did they also switch Deirdre and Got To Know The Woman in the line-up?

And a last note for the real fanatics: in a few countries (f.e. The Netherlands, and Germany) Cottonfields was released a year earlier by Capitol with a different B-side (Time To Get Alone), and that version of Cottonfields was the first one (from 20/20).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:56 AM »

Cotton fields, will be history soon. Proceed!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx