gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:40:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #16 WINNER: TIME TO GET ALONE!!!  (Read 67177 times)
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »

Cottonfields.  I like the single version much more..
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »

Where did this notion that interesting chords all of a sudden make a song a "good" song come from? heck at the age of 22 Buddy Holly could write circles around both of the songs in question and only using standard chord changes.

I wasn't necessarily saying it makes it a good song, I was only replying to the fact that he said "All I Want to Do" was more musically rewarding than "Hey Little Tomboy."
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »

Where did this notion that interesting chords all of a sudden make a song a "good" song come from? heck at the age of 22 Buddy Holly could write circles around both of the songs in question and only using standard chord changes.

I wasn't necessarily saying it makes it a good song, I was only replying to the fact that he said "All I Want to Do" was more musically rewarding than "Hey Little Tomboy."

But which song would be better to play at lets say a Monterrey Pop festival.....  Rock!

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »

EDIT:  Went back and checked, "I Went To Sleep" hasn't actually got any votes yet.  Just Rei being Rei.  Great, let it win - I'm okay with that.

How do you know my name?

He has quite the memory for names.

But not only have I never posted my name on and threads, no one else has

Anyway, my name is Rei, and i'm 14 years old (turning 15 in less than a month). I am Australian, coming from Melbourne.

I stand corrected.
Didn't think many people even saw that welcome lol
It's just lost in among your hundreds of prolific posts...avatars...user-names...photos...and yes, folks do read the welcome threads.  I posted in mine on New Years Eve.  Tend it, and it will grow.
and...Hey Bubbly,  thanks for the complement, though some might not agree.  Hope you and everybody here is having a Great New Year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:08:21 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »

Melody implies harmony. If the melody of a song is complex the chords will also be complex. Hey Little Tomboy is more musically rewarding than All I Want To Do because it is a more complex composition. All I Want To Do is just basic.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:34:59 PM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »

Melody implies harmony. If the melody of a song is complex the chords will also be complex. Hey Little Tomboy is more musically rewarding than All I Want To Do because it is a more complex composition. All I Want To Do is just basic.

Just because a song is basic doesn't mean it's not as good as a complex song.
To me that's irrelevant. A good song is a good song, be it basic or complex.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »

Just because a song is basic doesn't mean it's not as good as a complex song.
To me that's irrelevant. A good song is a good song, be it basic or complex.

Yea "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is a basic song  Air Quotes but it's still a classic right

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »

You are definitely confusing "complexity" with "quality". Many people do.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »

The Nearest Faraway Place   
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »

I'll go with "All I Want To Do," though it's not what I want to do.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »

When a song isn't following the most basic melodic route it usually is more satisfying than one that is.

Blah blah blah. When a song doesn't follow the most basic melodic route it is usually more satisfying than one that does.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:41:49 PM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »

When a song isn't following the most basic melodic route it usually is more satisfying than one that is.

Blah blah blah. When a song doesn't follow the most basic melodic route it is usually more satisfying than one that does.
Or maybe it comes down to personal taste...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »

Blah blah blah is your rebuttal? LOL If what you say is true than a computer is more capable of writing beautiful music than the human mind.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:11:47 PM by pixletwin » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2014, 10:44:05 PM »

Blah blah blah is your rebuttal? LOL If what you say is true than a computer is more capable of writing beautiful music than the human mind.

Lots of rock songs talk about drugs and sex so with the BB being a rock band I don't see how they're any exception to this  Huh.  Ever hear the Rolling Stone's "Under My Thumb" now those lyrics are offensive  Undecided *and it's pretty basic*

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »

Lots of rock songs talk about drugs and sex so with the BB being a rock band I don't see how they're any exception to this  Huh.  Ever hear the Rolling Stone's "Under My Thumb" now those lyrics are offensive  Undecided *and it's pretty basic*
Under My Thumb isn't that offensive.

Can't say the same for Brown Sugar, however
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »

Under My Thumb isn't that offensive.

Can't say the same for Brown Sugar, however

Wow so true I almost forgot about that one  Shocked *and I guess that's pretty basic too  Roll Eyes*

-Dennis Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2014, 02:15:30 AM »

EDIT:  Went back and checked, "I Went To Sleep" hasn't actually got any votes yet.  Just Rei being Rei.  Great, let it win - I'm okay with that.

How do you know my name?

He has quite the memory for names.

But not only have I never posted my name on and threads, no one else has

Anyway, my name is Rei, and i'm 14 years old (turning 15 in less than a month). I am Australian, coming from Melbourne.

I stand corrected.
Didn't think many people even saw that welcome lol

Anyway, you're 'Rei'-ly correct when it comes to All I Want To Do - it's a great song! (See what I did there?)
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2014, 02:56:58 AM »

It's funny, I have trouble participating in the Wild Honey and Friends rounds because there are no songs I don't love on them, but on 20/20 there are quite a few of which I have no qualms about speaking slightingly.
Starting with

"The Nearest Faraway Place"

Please delete my account
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:55 AM »

The early rounds are always easy. By the time I'm having to vote off tracks such as Do It Again, Never Learn Not to Love, Our Prayer etc.. it's going to be a bitch.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »

All I Want to Do, not to be confused with the brilliant Sunflower track.
G.C
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »

Never Learn Not to Love

I can't stand that song. I also can't stand Bluebirds over the Mountain, I'm glad it's gone!
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »

The Nearest... Faraway... Place!   
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2014, 07:28:32 AM »

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx