gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:28:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: sweet when he wants to be  (Read 7468 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »

Did anyone read Mike Love's tribute to Denny on his Facebook page?  it's really touching  Transcendental Meditation

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:30:52 AM »

Look out - nothing sends this board into meltdown faster than when Mike Love says something nice about anything.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:33:40 AM »

Look out - nothing sends this board into meltdown faster than when Mike Love says something nice about anything.

What do you mean  Huh

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:49:48 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:33:07 PM by zatch » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:41:41 AM »

Look out - nothing sends this board into meltdown faster than when Mike Love says anything about anything.

Fixed that for you Grin

DON'T EDIT QUOTES OR YOU'LL BE BANNED WITH FIRE

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:46:51 AM »

Look out - nothing sends this board into meltdown faster than when Mike Love says anything about anything.

Fixed that for you Grin

PLEASE EDIT QUOTES OR YOU'LL BE BANNED WITH FIRE

That's better  Grin
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:57:32 AM »

Fixed that for you Grin

"Don't even think about doing that again."

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 03:18:14 AM »

You're all very naughty boys.

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 03:42:47 AM »

I'm a very naughty boy.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 06:22:05 AM »

"Yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of my cousin, Dennis' sad passing. This date in December always brings to mind so many memories, good and not so good. For myself I prefer to remember the good and great times like fishing together off th...e Redondo Beach Breakwater, or racing his corvette and my XKE late night coming home from the Cinnamon Cinder after a show in Long Beach at over a hundred miles per hour. We shared an apartment together in Hermosa Beach were we had many a parties, in fact, there were parties in our apartment when we weren't even there! Dennis was a ball of energy! His powerful drumming back beat lives on till this day every night during our performances. The positive contributions Dennis made to group are to be honored and remembered. Not everyone knows this, but Dennis was the one who called me to come back to Paris from London to be taught Transcendental Meditation by Maharishi...in later years, even when he'd been drinking, when we found ourselves together, Dennis would often say "Hey Mike, Let's meditate" During my last few meditations, I have said extra prayers for Dennis, that his soul has found the happiness that eluded him while here on earth......Sail On Sailor.............ML"
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »

"Yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of my cousin, Dennis' sad passing. This date in December always brings to mind so many memories, good and not so good. For myself I prefer to remember the good and great times like fishing together off th...e Redondo Beach Breakwater, or racing his corvette and my XKE late night coming home from the Cinnamon Cinder after a show in Long Beach at over a hundred miles per hour. We shared an apartment together in Hermosa Beach were we had many a parties, in fact, there were parties in our apartment when we weren't even there! Dennis was a ball of energy! His powerful drumming back beat lives on till this day every night during our performances. The positive contributions Dennis made to group are to be honored and remembered. Not everyone knows this, but Dennis was the one who called me to come back to Paris from London to be taught Transcendental Meditation by Maharishi...in later years, even when he'd been drinking, when we found ourselves together, Dennis would often say "Hey Mike, Let's meditate" During my last few meditations, I have said extra prayers for Dennis, that his soul has found the happiness that eluded him while here on earth......Sail On Sailor.............ML"

Gosh, that's beautiful to read...  I was lucky enough that my friendship with Dennis began while those two were still friends, although things had fallen apart by the time I arrived in Los Angeles.  However, someone asked in another thread recently about the closeness that often appears in films & photos of them onstage, and obviously I got to experience that.  It was impossible not to feel the deep seated love between them, but Mike's concern for Dennis only brought out the extra joy Dennis got out of being the bad boy.  Always felt that the more concern you showed for/about Dennis, the more he was lashing out at his memories of his Dad, and his desire to show you he could get away with anything

Thank you, though, Mike, and how great to see Dennis finally credited with being the introduction to Maharishi - which certainly turned Mike's life around
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »

Gosh, that's beautiful to read...  I was lucky enough that my friendship with Dennis began while those two were still friends, although things had fallen apart by the time I arrived in Los Angeles.  However, someone asked in another thread recently about the closeness that often appears in films & photos of them onstage, and obviously I got to experience that.  It was impossible not to feel the deep seated love between them, but Mike's concern for Dennis only brought out the extra joy Dennis got out of being the bad boy.  Always felt that the more concern you showed for/about Dennis, the more he was lashing out at his memories of his Dad, and his desire to show you he could get away with anything

Thank you, though, Mike, and how great to see Dennis finally credited with being the introduction to Maharishi - which certainly turned Mike's life around

That was my original question, and I think that your answer is one of the best I've received  Smiley.  Murry was a big part of the problem for all of them as far as I can see.  You were luck to know them, Denny  Smiley, and thanks for posting that article on the other thread it was really something  Cry

-Dennis Wilson
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »

A very eloquent and gracious post. I'm impressed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »

Really, really nice. I'm proud that Mike wrote such a nice thing about his cousin.

Fixed that for you Grin

Sooooo true. Kinda amusing that when runners has edited people's posts he gets banned, but I've seen so many other people do that on this board without a peep from the mods. Interesting.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »

Nice job by Mike. A very complicated relationship, but I think they did love each other.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:32:51 PM by zatch » Logged
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »

Too bad they could not have collaborated on more songs.

"Pacific Ocean Blues" and "Only With You" give an indication that they could have been a pretty good song writing team.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »

Mike had to watch the life of someone he loved and grew up with descend into sadness and addiction and death. It couldn't have been easy to handle.

Very touching tribute by ML, and we all echo his wishes for Denny.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »

That was my original question, and I think that your answer is one of the best I've received  Smiley.  Murry was a big part of the problem for all of them as far as I can see.  You were luck to know them, Denny  Smiley, and thanks for posting that article on the other thread it was really something  Cry

Thank you so much.  I appreciate whenever I'm able to shed some light on these situations.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »

Thank you so much.  I appreciate whenever I'm able to shed some light on these situations.

Yea I always look forward to reading your posts, a lot of times you share stories I've never even heard before  Grin

-Dennis Wilson
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »

Well, I lived a very different experience than many will ever have, starting out in the early sixties knowing that I was born on the wrong coast, discovering a soundtrack that helped me jump coasts, and not quite comprehending why these guys singing 409 & Shut Down were called The Beach Boys?  That summer in Coney Island I discovered girls, flipped over the 45's, and suddenly their name made sense.
Flash forward to the late sixties, going to see them at The Filmore East, and Dennis hitting me up for a ride, after sneaking out between shows.  The rest, as they say, is history...
Be sure and come by my Facebook page, my first foray into this century, as I begin to illustrate my book:  https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 11:12:57 PM »

Really nice comments from Mike, and very informative post, as always, from Ed Roach.

Just out of curiosity Ed, when did you first meet Dennis, and when did you move to LA?  You've really gotta complete that book, not only for the photos but for the first hand accounts and insights that you are uniquely qualified to offer.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »

Really, really nice. I'm proud that Mike wrote such a nice thing about his cousin.

Fixed that for you Grin

Sooooo true. Kinda amusing that when runners has edited people's posts he gets banned, but I've seen so many other people do that on this board without a peep from the mods. Interesting.

runnersdialzero recently wasn't banned, but warned a few times not to do that again. And the one time he as actually banned for doing so was for a logical reason. Btw, that ban only lasted for a few hours, iicc. After a short mod-discussing, it was changed in a warning as well.

But you're right, sweetdudejim, I probably didn't warn everyone who modified quotes (I miss a post here and there, you know), although in this case the only reason responding a little late is me being away for a few days. There is a difference though between someone modifying quotes with the obvious addition that it's meant to be a joke, or if it's not obvious at all and the original poster is clearly not amused by it.

But for equal treatment reasons I'll say it again:

@ zachrwolfe & MessOfHelp101: please do not modify quotes, even if it's meant to be funny.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 12:56:44 PM by SMiLE Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 05:58:07 AM »

But for equal treatment reasons I'll say it again:

@ zachrwolfe: please do not modify quotes, even if it's meant to be funny.
You forget MessOfHelp101. Just reminding & helping you out.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »

Well, I lived a very different experience than many will ever have, starting out in the early sixties knowing that I was born on the wrong coast, discovering a soundtrack that helped me jump coasts, and not quite comprehending why these guys singing 409 & Shut Down were called The Beach Boys?  That summer in Coney Island I discovered girls, flipped over the 45's, and suddenly their name made sense.
Flash forward to the late sixties, going to see them at The Filmore East, and Dennis hitting me up for a ride, after sneaking out between shows.  The rest, as they say, is history...
Be sure and come by my Facebook page, my first foray into this century, as I begin to illustrate my book:  https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68

Ed, great news that you'll be using Facebook for this most worthy purpose! And it will probably prove to be a good way to further scrutinize/organize your approach to telling one of the most interesting and useful stories to be told in the Beach Boys' sprawling narrative canvas...

Have to admit that I've never been much of a Facebook fan, to be honest, but I will happily make an exception in this case! Already many touching and wonderful shots, looking forward to more! Love to see Bobby Figueroa on hand, too, telling us that "only [Ed] could have taken that shot!" Truer words have never been written...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx