gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:04:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: songs that have a wasted riff  (Read 3651 times)
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »

by that I mean a song with a great riff but the rest of the song is meh. Two I can think of are "Sun King" on Abbey Road (Beatles) and "Fire" on SmileySmile. The guitar riff on Sun King could have been used on another song and the basic refrain of "Fire" sounds a lot like Cream. Maybe they could have used the rights to use it as a backing track to one of the songs on "Wheels of Fire".

Any others?
Bentracin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:44:12 PM »

by that I mean a song with a great riff but the rest of the song is meh. Two I can think of are "Sun King" on Abbey Road (Beatles) and "Fire" on SmileySmile. The guitar riff on Sun King could have been used on another song and the basic refrain of "Fire" sounds a lot like Cream. Maybe they could have used the rights to use it as a backing track to one of the songs on "Wheels of Fire".

Any others?

To talk goodness is not good. Only to do it is.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:50:34 AM »

Isn't the Sun King riff stolen from Fleetwood Mac?

Anyway, there are probably thousands of wasted riffs on heavy metal albums. Many bands have great riffs, but no clue on how to construct songs around them.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »

EDIT: Nevermind
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:19:54 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »

the basic refrain of "Fire" sounds a lot like Cream.

what

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »

EDIT: Nevermind

I can't do better than that.

[Well I could but why bother?]

"Nevermind" LOL

Doubtful I can come close to touching   " what "  either.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:30:11 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »

Every time I hear "Bird Dog" with that cool guitar intro, I expect some rocking song. Ditto "Wake Up Little Susie". Everlys had good guitar riffs, even in ballads but their blend lets it down imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »

What, nobody's got any example where they liked guitar riff & the rest of choon is boring?

To add, "Ride a white swan" by T. Rex. Not bad guitarist but wouldn't say he's blessed with good set of pipes. Usually, If I don't like the voice of the artist, to me that is that.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 05:45:37 AM »

Rolling Stones' "19th Nervous Breakdown" & "Child of the Moon". 2 of their weakest singles. If they came up with interesting melodies around those guitar bits. Mick & Keith could do better.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 04:59:51 AM »

What, nobody's got any example where they liked guitar riff & the rest of choon is boring?

Apparently not!

To take a different tack, it's no sweat overdoing a riff, however good, but making sparing use of it is a rare quality.

I'm thinking of those thrilling eight bars in the Smile and BWPS versions of "Wind Chimes"  (here at 2:33):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjxK9ojmAT8

Just there and nowhere else. Less is more, indeed!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »

I like Smiley Smile "Wind Chimes". I, maybe naively, revived this thread thinking it would be interesting to everybody as those who listen to music a lot, with diff. taste in music, there'd be plenty examples of songs with wasted riff.
Well then, what about good songs but you don't like guitar riff?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 10:52:16 PM »

"Dance dance dance" - it's about shakers 3D
"Along comes Mary"
"A world of our own" by the Seekers
"Epistle to Dippy" by Donovan - the riff which played 1st by guitar, (shortly) violins, then both.
"Rain" (45) by San Francisco psych band Kak
"You really got me" by the Kinks - Dave came up with better guitar riff in retread.
"Mrs. Robinson" - terrible "fugitive in jungles" melody. at least this is the picture I get hearing that riff
"Feel a whole lot better" by Tom Petty

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 03:45:40 AM »

Back to topic:

"Shang-a-Lang" by Bay City Rollers (travesty with nifty guitar riff)
"Had to be me" by Ohio Express
"Everybody's talkin'" (nice riff but Nilsson sounding gritty & grating in bad way)
"Expo '86" by Death Cab for Cutie (the lead singer has good voice but as a whole this song is too dark to my taste. I like that riff)
"So Lonely" by the Hollies (I like the A-side "Look through any window" plus here Graham Nash ruins it with his boring voice. They shouldn't let him sing any song imo. Graham can't beat Allan Clarke for good)

KDS
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 08:13:48 AM »

By the time Black Sabbath released Never Say Die in 1978, they were pretty much spinning their wheels from a creative standpoint, and it wound up being the weakest album from the original lineup (and the last).  But, there's a song called Air Dance on the album that has such a promising intro riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNDCSyl0fM

However, the song quickly switches gears to a slow, almost jazzy song.  It's not a bad song per se, but it never fulfills the promise of that original intro riff. 

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx