gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:54:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands not in the hall of fame  (Read 7465 times)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »

Bands from the 60"s 70"s + 80"s not in the Rock Hall.. Little Feat  Yes  Jethro Tull  Doobie Bros Band  Moody Blues  Deep Purple  ELO  Poco    Kansas  .... Amazing bunch of bands not in the hall..
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »

Here are glaring omissions:
Love
Rhinoceros
The Zombies
The Monkees
T Rex
Lovin Spoonful
Blue Cheer
Todd Rundgren
Big Star
Slade
Harry Nilsson
King Crimson

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »

To add a few:

Lou Reed (Solo)
Lee Hazlewood
Scott Walker (or the Walker Brothers)
Captain Beefheart
Kraftwerk
Sonic Youth
Gram Parsons
Brian Eno
Nick Drake
Roxy Music
Frank Sinatra (not sure if he fits exactly)
XTC

Influences:

Mississippi Sheiks
Blind Willie McTell
Charley Patton

Some maybes:

The Three O'Clock
Syd Barrett
John Prine
Robyn Hitchcock (or the Soft Boys)
Iggy Pop
Van Dyke Parks

Here are glaring omissions:

Big Star

Oh, definitely. Even if not Big Star, Alex Chilton should still make it in for his work with both Big Star and the Box Tops. Plus that whole solo career thing.

Harry Nilsson

Cry
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:54:09 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 08:56:59 PM »

There are a lot of Blues + country acts in the hall of fame and I understand that.. They are the roots of rock music .. But no disrespect to the man but Miles Davis has no business in the hall..  And there are a number of  business types in the hall that ripped off their artists..  And some artists that I wouldn't call rock at all.. Pop maybe but not rock..
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »

Dire Straits
Chicago
Mott the Hoople
The Cars
The Smiths
Pixies
Sonic Youth
Bjork

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »

.. But no disrespect to the man but Miles Davis has no business in the hall.. 

I think it could be argued that what he did with Bitches Brew earned him his place.
But idk, no idea why anyone gets in  Tongue

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 11:31:51 PM »

I understand where you are coming from and I respect that.. I love jazz fusion and my love of that turned me on to classic jazz like Coltrane  + miles classic 60"s quintet among many other greats in that field..  But using loud percussion + drums + Synths  + simpler beats doesn't make it rock.. Much of that music is improvised + the stellar jazz musicians he used were creating a new form of jazz.. I remember reading one of the reasons Miles changed was he like Sly + Family Stone music..  I suspect if you ask any of the  players in his bands if they were playing rock they would say no.. I think the reason Miles is in the hall is because he was an explorer of new sounds + technology ..  But it is the rock hall of fame.. I wonder what Miles thinks.. ?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »

Something I've always found incredible with Miles is the fact he would never look back. When asked to play songs from 'Kind of Blue' he'd say "Those songs hurt my lips." It was always about moving forward with him, something I completely respect him for, whether or not each phase of his career appeals to me.

It is an interesting question though, what he thinks of it. Because outside of his Bitches Brew phase, I don't really know what else makes him eligible. Could just be that he really did break new ground by combining the genres in a way that had never been done, or something.

I think Herbie Hancock belongs in there if Miles is in there. He, like Miles, always pushed forward into new territory, and is still going now.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »

Jan & Dean

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »

Bands from the 60"s 70"s + 80"s not in the Rock Hall.. Little Feat  Yes  Jethro Tull  Doobie Bros Band  Moody Blues  Deep Purple  ELO  Poco    Kansas  .... Amazing bunch of bands not in the hall..

Yep, but Cat Stevens made the cut.  Huh
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 07:18:27 AM »

I am extremely happy that KISS finally made it. My Top 5 now includes:

1. The Moody Blues
2. Chicago
3. Three Dog Night
4. The Monkees
5. Lou Reed (solo)

Longshots, but look at what they've accomplished:

6. ELO
7. Slade
8. Jan & Dean
9. Blue Oyster Cult
10. Sparks

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »

Deep Purple is a must, but these sort of things are completely BS anyway. Why do we need some "rock institution" (there's nothing rock and roll about institutions) to validate our taste in music?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »

Yep, but Cat Stevens made the cut.  Huh

Hey, Cat Stevens is great!

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can bite me.  However, NRBQ and the Flamin' Groovies to my mind have made some of the greatest music of the era concerned.  Blue Oyster Cult Graham Parker and the Rumour too.  Along with several mentioned.  But I doubt they will ever be in the R&RHOF and it really wouldn't be appropriate either.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »

Deep Purple is a must, but these sort of things are completely BS anyway. Why do we need some "rock institution" (there's nothing rock and roll about institutions) to validate our taste in music?

AEGIR WINS AGAIN

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 07:38:50 PM »

I am extremely happy that KISS finally made it. My Top 5 now includes:

1. The Moody Blues
2. Chicago
3. Three Dog Night
4. The Monkees
5. Lou Reed (solo)

Longshots, but look at what they've accomplished:

6. ELO
7. Slade
8. Jan & Dean
9. Blue Oyster Cult
10. Sparks

Great lists! I am not a Kiss fan but Hall & Oates? Decent hits but ugh!

I would change my 2nd 6 to:
1. Yes
2. ELO
3. Alan Parsons Project
4. The Smiths
5. The Cars
6. The Zombies

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »

Looking at all the lists its no wonder we don't agree with HOF.. Out of all of your lists I would only agree 40%.. With what you have all posted.. LOL !  Im thinking maybe I should post some of my thoughts on what I disagree with HOF and start a FRIENDLY debate..  Here is a couple.. BLONDIE.. ? WTF  Angry   Im gonna get SLAMMED now SEX PISTOLS..? Rock!   Neil Diamond  I better duck now and change my address .. What Next Barbara Streisand  Huh  LOL 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 12:46:30 AM »

Paul Revere and the Raiders...or if you prefer, Paul Revere and the Raiders featuring Mark Lindsay....
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 06:57:34 AM »

Bands from the 60"s 70"s + 80"s not in the Rock Hall.. Little Feat  Yes  Jethro Tull  Doobie Bros Band  Moody Blues  Deep Purple  ELO  Poco    Kansas  .... Amazing bunch of bands not in the hall..

Yep, but Cat Stevens made the cut.  Huh

Hey, Cat Stevens is great!

Yes, he was/is good and had a very successful run. I just don't see him getting in at the expense of some bands still outside looking in.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:00:11 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 07:51:25 AM »

For me it's gotta be...
Moody Blues ... Why ? How ? Just don't get how they can be overlooked...
Monkees ... how can one of those up high in the system state that they're NEVER gonna be inducted whilst he gets his vote?
Chicago ... How many album sales over the years Huh
Bread ... They may have their critics but just look at the songwriting folio. Everything I Own, If, Make It With You etc etc
Toto - OK, so they also may get slated in their homeland but they're loved over here in Europe, they've shifted millions of albums... and just look at the contributions that Paich, Porcaro x3, Lukather etc gave to the US session scene over the years...

Then again... Poco should be there. And aren't The Association another notable omission ? How many times does Never My Love get played each year Huh?
Let's be honest... There are simply too many to mention and the hall will never get it right in the eyes of many.

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »

Irrespective of the R&RHOF's other flaws (biases, contradictions, Jann Wenner), the fact that in the early days it was Beatles, Elvis, James Brown, Beach Boys, etc. being bandied about, and now it's Chicago, Sparks, Poco!  That kinda says it all for me.

On the other hand, so much of the greatness of Rock and Roll, of music, is in the obscure details, the one hit wonders, the crazy characters we'll likely never know of that influenced the more successful.  And I'd say a Hall of Shame is just as appropriate for the moniker "Rock and Roll."  Have the handgun Jerry Lee Lewis brandished at  the gates of Graceland, a tube of glue sniffed by Dee Dee Ramone, Brian Wilson's bed.  The toilet flushed for the rocket effect on "Telstar."  And so forth.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

The absence of Blind Willie McTell as a founding influence is a disgrace. (Patton too but I am much less familiar with his music.) He gave the Allmans one of their bigger numbers with "Statesboro Blues" even if their lumbering version lacks the graceful ease of McTell's cut. Really, McTell and Patton should be slam dunk for founding influences.  McTell is one of my favorite guitar players btw.

I'll say it again: Cat Stevens has no business being inducted when The Monkees, ELO, King Crimson, Yes, The Spinners, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Jethro Tull, Jan & Dean, The Cars, Deep Purple, The Smiths, Lou Reed solo, and The Lovin' Spoonful all on the outside.

Consider The Dave Clark Five (In.) Sure, they were relevant in 1964 and 1965, but does their legacy carry greater weight than that of The Monkees or The Raiders? Didn't they too (oh the horror of it all) employ session players?

Jann Wenner sucks. Dave Marsh too.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:00:01 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »

The absence of Blind Willie McTell as a founding influence is a disgrace. (Patton too but I am much less familiar with his music.) He gave the Allmans one of their bigger numbers with "Statesboro Blues" even if their lumbering version lacks the graceful ease of McTell's cut. Really, McTell and Patton should be slam dunk for founding influences.

I'll say it again: Cat Stevens has no business being inducted when The Monkees, ELO, King Crimson, Yes, The Spinners, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Jethro Tull, and Jan & Dean are all on the outside.

Consider The Dave Clark Five (In.) Sure, they were relevant in 1964 and 1965, but does their legacy carry greater weight than that of The Monkees or The Raiders? Didn't they too (oh the horror of it all) employ session players?

DC5 were great, but their time at the top was brief compared to the Raiders. I guess you gotta have a Hollywood star like Tom Hanks campaigning on your behalf to get in.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »

The absence of Blind Willie McTell as a founding influence is a disgrace. (Patton too but I am much less familiar with his music.) He gave the Allmans one of their bigger numbers with "Statesboro Blues" even if their lumbering version lacks the graceful ease of McTell's cut. Really, McTell and Patton should be slam dunk for founding influences.

I'll say it again: Cat Stevens has no business being inducted when The Monkees, ELO, King Crimson, Yes, The Spinners, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Jethro Tull, and Jan & Dean are all on the outside.

My thoughts exactly. Consider that DC5 were inducted before The Hollies. The Hollies may have been a bit faceless but their hitmaking career spanned several pop music generations. Far worthier band than DC5.

Wenner is still punishing Revere & the Raiders for those absurd revolutionary war costumes.
DC5 were great, but their time at the top was brief compared to the Raiders. I guess you gotta have a Hollywood star like Tom Hanks campaigning on your behalf to get in.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »

Well, Springsteen is a DC5 fan so maybe he put a bug in Dave Marsh's ear. Marsh exists to serve Bruce.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx