gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:14:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best Album to Have Autographed  (Read 3459 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »

I've always wondered, if I had the chance to have one album autographed by ever living Beach Boy, what album would you choose? The dilemna for me is there is no album, aside from TWGMTR, that Bruce and David coexist.

I might pick Love You, just for kicks. Also maybe getting a Bruce glare for asking him to sign an album made by a non-Bruce Beach Boys (aside from that one song).
Or Pet Sounds.
Or Surf's Up, because that one has Bruce's best song...and David was invited to play on it...

wat u guys think
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:27:03 PM by Woodstock » Logged

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »

I would pick Sunflower because it's my personal favorite (reasons being obvious  Wink) and that was the album where they all worked together in perfect harmony (well not David) but around that time (1970 or 71) he was invited to play with them when they went on the David Frost show.  So he had a chance to be apart of that era if he wanted to.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »

Sunflower and Wild Honey, as the whole band (including Bruce) is featured on the cover and the back cover respectively.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »

The Sunflower inner gatefold was what the guys kindly autographed for me post-concert, some 20-odd years ago. All of the guys were friendly and generous with their time, Carl especially so.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »

Up to 1983, Sunflower, hands down. These days, the last album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »

When I had Sunflower autographed (circa 1992) all of the guys, even Brian, had something interesting to say about their individual photos in the gatefold. Carl in particular had some comments about Brian's house/home studio which is also featured in a photo.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:16:08 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »

I would love to get pet sounds or sunflower signed

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »

Quote from: Help Me, Shady link=topic=16926.msg420945#msg420945 dat ;)e=1388075901
Smiley Smile!  Wink
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »

Back in October 1991, I took a vacation day and drove 4 hours to Washington D.C. for a book signing appearance by Brian Wilson for Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Own Story. I brought an original Pet Sounds album with me to hopefully get autographed in addition to his book. I was early and ended up third in a very long line. Around noon, Brian walks in wearing black jeans, white shirt, black leather jacket, and the greatest hair I've ever seen. He walked over to the table, stood there about six feet from me, looked out at the long line, and said something like, "Oh boy, look at all these people." A couple of us laughed because of the funny way he said it.

I was in complete awe. I know this is going to sound weird, but I just remember getting a strange feeling, like I was in the presence of somebody different, and certainly not like me, or anybody else for that matter. I couldn't believe how great he looked, and, for some reason, I remember thinking, "Why isn't this guy still producing great music like he used to. I mean, just look at him..." It's funny what crosses your mind in moments like that. The only person accompanying Brian was Kevin Leslie, who stood next to Brian while Brian sat at the autograph table.

As soon as Brian sat down, he began humming a song (I didn't recognize it) and tapping his foot. The store manager then yelled out, "Mr. Wilson will only sign his book. He will not be signing any other memorabilia." There was a collective grunt heard around the store. Then the manager said, "But, if you would like Mr. Wilson to write a few words to personalize his autograph, that would be acceptable."

This next part is an absolutely true story. The first guy in line was a real jerk. He hands his book to Brian and asks him, "Brian could you write, 'To my biggest fan, Joe Blow from Anytown, USA; thank you for supporting me through the years, blah, blah, blah..." It was an entire paragraph! And, Brian looked at this guy like he was nuts. However, Kevin Leslie, like a trooper, starts helping Brian with the words and spelling and Brian actually wrote the whole thing out. Amazingly, the second guy in line tried the same thing, giving Brian a long greeting to write. Well, the store manager, who was standing there, decided to nip this in the bud. He then yelled out to the crowd, "Mr. Wilson will personalize your book signing, but it must be contained to just your name".

I had a camera with me, and I handed it to the guy behind me, and asked him politely, "Would you mind taking some pictures of Brian and me. Just keep hitting this button and take as many pictures as you can". He agreed.

Then it was my turn, with my book and Pet Sounds album in tow. And, for some reason, but a very fortunate reason for me, as soon as I was about to approach Brian, the store manager walked away to attend to something. So, I had Brian sign my book, and then I quickly took the Pet Sounds album out of the bag and handed it to Brian. Brian accepted it and Kevin Leslie never flinched. I then said something awkward and asked Brian in a tone about three octaves higher than my normal voice, "Would you please the greatest album of all time?" Brian signed his name right on the white goat. He handed the signed album back to me, and I shook his hand and again said awkwardly, "Thank you for all the great music, Brian." He looked at me with absolutely no expression on his face and didn't say a word.

I got out of that place so fast, I was literally running down the streets of Washington D.C., going, "Yes, yes, yes!" I could care less about the book - I got a signed Pet Sounds album by Brian Wilson! But this was the funny thing. After I walked a few blocks, I realized that I ran out of the bookstore so fast, I forgot to get my camera back from the guy behind me. So I had to go back to retrieve it. Luckily, the guy was still hanging around and I thanked him; eventually I got one good picture out of the roll. But, as I thought back, what also confounded me was that I didn't hang around just to gaze and gawk at Brian Wilson. I mean, I could have. There were a bunch of fans just standing there watching the proceedings. I guess I was just happy to get the album signed.

But, there is something else to note, and maybe some other fans experienced it around that 1991 time frame. As awesome as Brian looked and as healthy as he appeared to be, he could barely write his name. I am totally serious. While he sat there holding the pen, his hands were shaking. And, when the people were speaking to him and telling him their name and what to write, he could not comprehend what they were saying. He TOTALLY depended on Kevin Leslie to get through that book signing. Kevin would hunch over and say to Brian, "OK Brian, now write Dear, D-E-A-R, Sheriff, S-H-E-R-I-F-F...." Brian could not spell anything. Kevin Leslie would say the letter and Brian would write it out. It wasn't that Brian couldn't spell words, but something was keeping him from grasping the words from the individual, processing it, and writing it down. It was quite sad and heartbreaking to watch. I remember driving home from Washington and wondering how Brian got through those book signings. He was signing thousands of books, personalizing each of them, and it took him literally minutes just to write a simple phrase. I also wondered what must be going on inside Brian's brain, that he couldn't handle the simple task of writing a few words. He's come a long way since 1991, huh?
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »

Having only met Brian, I went with the Pet Sounds sessions cover insert.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »

For me, it would be friends or sunflower.
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »

Either my old stereo Surfer Girl or my weathered Made in the USA CD (strictly because it was my intro to this wonderful band). The GV box set cover wouldn't be such a bad idea.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

Since TWGMTR is the only album (I know of) that has all the living members performing on it, that's the one I'd get signed.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »

I have seen the handshaking bit its very unnerving  to witness .. Before Landy he didn't do that..  In 1985 during the photo shoot at Harry Langdon"s  studio for the new lp I had BW autograph Pet Sounds + Smiley Smile..  During that photo shoot there were hundreds of photos no one has ever seen.. I did see them  and I know they exist.
Russ_B66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »

I only have Brian's autograph. He always seems to sign Pet Sounds right on the white goat  Smiley

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 04:40:54 AM »

So, would a BW signed PS cover with his name placed somewhere else than on the goat be worth more?   Wink

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 07:53:14 AM »

SUMMER IN PARADISE - X marks the spot.

Seriously, maybe my vinyl copy of ENDLESS SUMMER.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 09:34:58 AM »

I bought a frank Holmes print of Cabinessence from someone on here once, I got that signed by Brian, Al, and David.
I know I know, David wasn't on it, but it doesn't matter to me, it's about the moment and knowing that it was in their presence and how rare that must be...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »

Sunflower. And I should know.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »

Thank you, Sheriff John Stone, for sharing that story.  Amazing detail.  What did he get out of events like that - surely he didn't need the boosted sales so badly?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »

I met Brian in 1993, quite by chance, at a restaurant in Malibu.  He was playing pool with Melinda --  this was of course post-Landy.  This was long before I or anybody I knew had any connection to him.  I worked up the nerve to approach him and when I nervously was at a loss for words, Brian took immediate control of the situation, put me at ease, and said some great words of wisdom.  It was a fan boy's ultimate dream of meeting Brian.  

I've been around the man since then, mostly in situations where there's a lot of people around, and he's usually pretty much the way you would expect.  But I have heard repeatedly from friends, and I can vouchsafe firsthand from that one encounter, that Brian can be awesome when he's relaxed and feels safe and has space and is in private situations.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

But I have heard repeatedly from friends, and I can vouchsafe firsthand from that one encounter, that Brian can be awesome when he's relaxed and feels safe and has space and is in private situations.

I can attest to that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »

Summer in Paradise, of course!!!  LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »

I have seen the handshaking bit its very unnerving  to witness .. Before Landy he didn't do that..  In 1985 during the photo shoot at Harry Langdon"s  studio for the new lp I had BW autograph Pet Sounds + Smiley Smile..  During that photo shoot there were hundreds of photos no one has ever seen.. I did see them  and I know they exist.

I saw a video clip of a stop on this promo tour, and it scared the sh*t out of me. Leslie gave Brian some medication or other, and a few minutes later, he had what I can only describe as a small seizure - his signing arm jerked all over the place for a few seconds. The really scary part ? NO-ONE ACTED LIKE IT WAS ANYTHING UNUSUAL. I believe this video formed part of the smoking gun that eventually got Brian away from Landy before the latter killed him with his "medication".

I met Brian in 1993, quite by chance, at a restaurant in Malibu.  He was playing pool with Melinda --  this was of course post-Landy.  This was long before I or anybody I knew had any connection to him.  I worked up the nerve to approach him and when I nervously was at a loss for words, Brian took immediate control of the situation, put me at ease, and said some great words of wisdom.  It was a fan boy's ultimate dream of meeting Brian. 

I've been around the man since then, mostly in situations where there's a lot of people around, and he's usually pretty much the way you would expect.  But I have heard repeatedly from friends, and I can vouchsafe firsthand from that one encounter, that Brian can be awesome when he's relaxed and feels safe and has space and is in private situations.

Entirely true - when he's in a comfortable situation with people he knows and trusts around him, Brian can be so normal it's scary, not to mention as funny as hell. And he knows he's funny.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:21:27 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »

Yep to all of the above. I met BW backstage in the fall of 2009, during the legendary solo tour leg that saw him performing "Monster Mash" and playing piano live for the first time in 15 years or so.

It was a small space, with the band members coming and going, and I was like the third in line. There was practically no security. And when we were shown in. there was no one to run anything -- it was just us, and Brian, and Foskett off to the side (mainly talking to other people). There was an awkward moment or two, with everyone looking at each other.

And then Brian boomed, "Okay, who wants to take some pictures?" And he got the line moving, and signed lots of things, and smiled big for cell phone cameras, and stood up the entire time. And he wasn't exactly exuberant or chatty, but he was certainly in command of the situation, and made it all happen. (I had him sign the program for TLOS, because I always have artists sign their most recent work.)

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx