gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:09:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson on DLR's California Girls  (Read 9051 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »

Nobody says/sings "California" [girls] like Carl did.  Kind of "kee-alifornia".  It's there as plain as day and it's entirely easy to hear.  Carl made The Roth rendition 'work'.

Didn't Brian back Johnny Rivers on his version of Help Me Ronda?

Anyway...I still miss Carl...almost daily.  Thank goodness he left us with so many ways to remember him.  We'll always have his voice.  No claustrophobic sense of trying to hear it in my mind with a failing/fading memory.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »

By the way, definitely not saying David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls is otherworldly. I think it's pretty well done as far as covers go, which isn't saying a whole lot. But to say you can't hear Carl on it is kind of insane, right?

Probably is insane, but i should have qualified that by saying that i've only ever intently listened to Roth's version two times, and i never listen to any post-1980 Beach Boys, so Carl's 80s and 90s voice is sometimes almost unrecognizable to me. I hear him in the tag now that you mention it, but that sounds so un-Carl to me. I hate what he did with his voice as he got older.

So it sounds like you're not qualified at all to judge southbay's comment.  You're way off base for sure.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »

Reminds me of the dude on the Bloo maybe 10, 15 years ago who opined that Dennis was a hugely overrated composer, and qualified that by saying he was very familiar with his canon. On closer questioning, turned out he'd never even heard POB. Name of Walfisch, later Bobby California. Didn't last long.  Think we're talking a similar level of mental acuity here... Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 12:44:40 AM »

Anyway...I still miss Carl...almost daily.  Thank goodness he left us with so many ways to remember him.  We'll always have his voice.  No claustrophobic sense of trying to hear it in my mind with a failing/fading memory.
My thoughts exactly.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »

Add Some and Lonely Summer:  It's obvious that you both share my affinity and respect for the late Carl Wilson.  In spite of my best efforts to feel otherwise, I still can't watch/listen to any present-day grouping of the Beach Boys without wishing Carl was there to make it all sound right.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »

Add Some and Lonely Summer:  It's obvious that you both share my affinity and respect for the late Carl Wilson.  In spite of my best efforts to feel otherwise, I still can't watch/listen to any present-day grouping of the Beach Boys without wishing Carl was there to make it all sound right.
I have to agree. As great as the C50 Tour was, Carl was missed terribly. Not quite the same without him in the blend.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »

I have to agree. As great as the C50 Tour was, Carl was missed terribly. Not quite the same without him in the blend.
I do like TWGMTR, but yes, I do feel something missing, a presence, a voice. I could've seen the present day Beach Boys this summer, and several people told me I should, but I passed.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx