gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:47:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson on DLR's California Girls  (Read 9050 times)
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

I thought Carl did a great job along with Christopher Cross on David Lee Roth's California Girls. Has anyone ever heard how the meeting (if at all it did) came about?
Did Carl go into the studio with Roth or were they just sent in? Dave present the BB with an award in 1988 and stood near Carl but I didn't catch any extra banter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6q16Ql8Fg

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »

Carl recalled in an interview that Christopher Cross phoned and asked if he'd like to participate in the recording as both David Lee Roth and Ted Tempeleman (producer) were too shy to ask! According to Carl, the other Beach Boys were puzzled by his participation, although Brian was overjoyed and wished that he could have contributed.

References

Sholin, D. (1985). Beach Boys get it back: Conversations with Carl Wilson, Mike Love, and Al Jardine. The Gavin Report, (1563), 13-16.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »

Carl recalled in an interview that Christopher Cross phoned and asked if he'd like to participate in the recording as both David Lee Roth and Ted Tempeleman (producer) were too shy to ask! According to Carl, the other Beach Boys were puzzled by his participation, although Brian was overjoyed and wished that he could have contributed.

References

Sholin, D. (1985). Beach Boys get it back: Conversations with Carl Wilson, Mike Love, and Al Jardine. The Gavin Report, (1563), 13-16.
Thanks for that!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »

No worries!

Interestingly, what that clip doesn't show is that Brian and the rest of the guys entered the stage from opposite sides. Brian extended his hand but nobody reciprocated Sad

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »

It always looked to me like Brian extending his hand to David Lee Roth, who didn't notice because he was shaking hands with Carl. Al noticed Brian being embarrased by DLR not seeing him, so he acknowledged Brian and motioned for Brian to go to the microphone.  Or so it seemed to me... And yes, I always heard that Christopher Cross had been asked to do BGV's on the song and he asked Carl to participate. Carl's vocals on the track took what would have been a mediocre cover to something otherwordly.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:06 PM »

Christopher Cross was really good friends with the Wilsons, according to an interview I saw on YouTube. He talked about hanging out with them, including Audree.

An interesting fact: the session drummer on Dave's cover is John Robinson, who apparently has played on more songs than even Hal Blaine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:23:09 PM by JRM » Logged

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »

Big fan here of Van Halen and I think their music is much inspired by the Beach Boys, especially the Roth led years.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 04:37:02 PM »

References

Thanks for that!

Hey MFP - is the interview you've referenced above the origin of the following quote from Carl (which I've hacked from Timothy White's Nearest Faraway Place) - "I got a charge out of the David Lee Roth Hit with California Girls... Ted Templeman...wondered if I'd be put off if he asked me to sing on the track, and I said, "Hell no!"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:40:31 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »

Big fan here of Van Halen and I think their music is much inspired by the Beach Boys, especially the Roth led years.
Great picture, thanks. Is this from the recording session?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »

nope.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »

References

Thanks for that!

Hey MFP - is the interview you've referenced above the origin of the following quote from Carl (which I've hacked from Timothy White's Nearest Faraway Place) - "I got a charge out of the David Lee Roth Hit with California Girls... Ted Templeman...wondered if I'd be put off if he asked me to sing on the track, and I said, "Hell no!"

Same year, different publication Grin That quote would be from an article written by Timothy White titled "The King of Summer Comes Home" from the August 1985 edition of Musician magazine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:26:46 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »

somewhere Brian is quoted as saying he wished he'd thought of the "I dig them girls!" line at the top of the chorus.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »

References

Thanks for that!

Same year, different publication Grin That quote would be from an article written by Timothy White titled "The King of Summer Comes Home" from the August 1985 edition of Musician magazine.

Thanks, man!!! The "Hell no!" bit has inexplicably stuck in my mind, and the Sholin item reminded me of that.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »

somewhere Brian is quoted as saying he wished he'd thought of the "I dig them girls!" line at the top of the chorus.

Brian has mentioned quite often how much he likes Roth's version. For at least a while, Foskett (or maybe Scott Bennet) did the "whoa" during live performances of the song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »

Carl's vocals on the track took what would have been a mediocre cover to something otherwordly.

Really? You think David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls is otherworldly? David Lee Roth. California Girls. Otherworldly. Can anyone honestly even hear Carl on that imploded black hole of a recording? I've never been able to pick him out at all. Not that that means anything, but hey.

WHOA!

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

Carl's vocals on the track took what would have been a mediocre cover to something otherwordly.

Really? You think David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls is otherworldly? David Lee Roth. California Girls. Otherworldly. Can anyone honestly even hear Carl on that imploded black hole of a recording? I've never been able to pick him out at all. Not that that means anything, but hey.

WHOA!

For one, very very very obviously in the tag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMoLENWsSk
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »

By the way, definitely not saying David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls is otherworldly. I think it's pretty well done as far as covers go, which isn't saying a whole lot. But to say you can't hear Carl on it is kind of insane, right?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »

Carl's vocal is unmistakable, particularly when compared to his performance of the same harmony line in 1976:

http://youtu.be/l0R0jXkdpQ4?t=2m48s

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »

By the way, definitely not saying David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls is otherworldly. I think it's pretty well done as far as covers go, which isn't saying a whole lot. But to say you can't hear Carl on it is kind of insane, right?

Probably is insane, but i should have qualified that by saying that i've only ever intently listened to Roth's version two times, and i never listen to any post-1980 Beach Boys, so Carl's 80s and 90s voice is sometimes almost unrecognizable to me. I hear him in the tag now that you mention it, but that sounds so un-Carl to me. I hate what he did with his voice as he got older.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »

Christopher Cross also sang on Carl's "Youngblood" album, and both he and Carl do some bv's on America's "View from the Ground" album.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

I just found this pic on the web:

Do you recognize the famous musician hanging out with David Lee Roth in this rare photo taken after an appearance on the David Brenner radio talk show in August, 1985?

Of course, that’s the late, great, Carl Wilson from the Beach Boys. Even back when Roth was in his first band, Red Ball Jet, he maintained that the Beach Boys were one of his major influences.

Back in February, David Lee Roth and Beach Boy Mike Love performed together at The Society of Singers’ 21st ELLA Awards, where Dave referred to the Beach Boys as “mentors,” and said, “If you tear open in the first Van Halen album, beach sand falls out. We picked up the ball a few summers after you fellas.”

“All Access” Photos is a weekly feature at VHND.com. Every weekend we feature a photo from a roadie, friend, or band insider. Many are never-seen-before exclusives. Tune in every weekend for more!

Source: http://www.vhnd.com/2014/07/15/aap73/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »

<<Really? You think David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls is otherworldly? David Lee Roth. California Girls. Otherworldly. Can anyone honestly even hear Carl on that imploded black hole of a recording? I've never been able to pick him out at all. Not that that means anything, but hey.>>

Carl is very audible on the DLR version singing, essentially, Bruce's part on chorus 1 & 2 and the tag.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »

Thanks for posting that photo of Carl and DLR!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 02:58:49 AM »

Talking about DLR and the Boys, this was posted on facebook by Ed Roach's Dennis site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6q16Ql8Fg

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 03:14:31 AM »

It means either your hearing is a lot worse than you think, or you're just saying that for effect.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx