gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:14:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile sessions  (Read 2738 times)
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:04 AM »

So I've noticed going through some Smile bootlegs that I haven't heard in awhile that Smiley Smile sessions tend to pop up as Smile sessions. They are hidden gems to me because I love hearing more insight into the Smiley sessions especially as the Unsurpassed Masters Smiley set is unfortunately the shortest set in the whole collection of the SOT sets. Only one disc and basically very short, which is unfortunate as its one of my top 3 favorite albums from them and possibly all time actually.

For example, the Unsurpassed Masters Smile sessions has some Heroes and Villains vocal tracking sessions obviously from the 45 version of the tune, which technically is a Smiley session. The backing track is Smile vintage, but the lead vocals and possibly backing vocals are from Smiley sessions aren't they? Then, the Archeology set has some Smiley sessions that are completely mislabeled - some With Me Tonight intro takes (including master take of the intro that is on the SOT CD) and a random stereo version of 'Fall Breaks And Back To Winter' are labeled as a "H&V" session and a "Bicycle Rider" session respectively, which is incorrect. The Fall Breaks version actually has a brief 2 or 3 seconds of Brian talking in the beginning, which I've never heard anywhere else.

Once in awhile I'll come across something else from Smiley, the Smile Sessions box was awesome, as there are some things on there never heard before. "Children Were Raised" harpsichord track is beautiful, boys and girls backing vocals in better quality, the earliest "Cool Cool Water" version probably ever recorded tracked just slightly before Smiley started and some other stuff. Anyways my point is, is there any other studio outtakes from the technically Smiley sessions (post-Smile being scrapped era) tucked away somewhere that you may have heard or know about?
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »

Gettin' Hungry. 

Haven't heard it in awhile, but I remember hearing take after take of false starts on the keyboard with an ascending scale that didn't make the final cut.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:36:14 PM »

All I know is whats on SOT.. If I am wrong someone will correct me but I seem to remember  something about SS being  recorded rather quickly and some of it had to be pieced together and the whole LP was mixed down in one long session and turned in the next day.. A rush job.. I read somewhere a long time ago..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:21 PM »

No... and yes: according to Jim Lockert, it was assembled and mixed in one long session, but Carl's claim it was recorded in "two weeks, tops" is negated by the AFM sheets. First pukka SS session was June 3rd 1967, and the album was assembled July 20th, after some 25 sessions (mostly at Brian's house).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »

No... and yes: according to Jim Lockert, it was assembled and mixed in one long session, but Carl's claim it was recorded in "two weeks, tops" is negated by the AFM sheets. First pukka SS session was June 3rd 1967, and the album was assembled July 20th, after some 25 sessions (mostly at Brian's house).
I don't blame Carl for not remembering with all the hash being consumed.

A discipline daddy.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:57:34 AM »

Too much work and man hours went into SS to be slap dash. As I remember the sessions it seems Brian may have done a lot of the tracking himself, maybe leaving Carl [and others] thinking that it was done more quickly than it was?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

Something related.. They finally got the stereo "H&V" right on the stereo remaster. The baldwin organ is there and it doesn't sound like bunches of reverb were added to it for no reason. Only thing is, it seems no one can get the original edits right. Mike is cut off on the original 45 version "by the heroes a..." he barely says "and" before being cut off on the original, but the remixes always edit him in properly. I know it's a proper edit and sounds technically better, but I love the charm of the original where Mike is cut off abruptly. Doesn't matter at all, I love the remix but something that I've noticed.

Also "With Me Tonight" sounds awful. That's the only stereo remix that sounds bad. Gettin Hungry isn't edited quite right like the original either. Anyone know why "With Me Tonight" sounds so bad on that 2012 remaster? Brian sounds like he has marbles in his mouth on the stereo remix. Could it be some vocal effect they added? It's terrible and I'm not sure what happened there. It doesn't even sound like the same takes were used..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:41:37 AM by jcjh20 » Logged
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »

Where do people get hold of these SOT albums?  Sad
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »

Something related.. They finally got the stereo "H&V" right on the stereo remaster. The baldwin organ is there and it doesn't sound like bunches of reverb were added to it for no reason. Only thing is, it seems no one can get the original edits right. Mike is cut off on the original 45 version "by the heroes a..." he barely says "and" before being cut off on the original, but the remixes always edit him in properly. I know it's a proper edit and sounds technically better, but I love the charm of the original where Mike is cut off abruptly. Doesn't matter at all, I love the remix but something that I've noticed.

Also "With Me Tonight" sounds awful. That's the only stereo remix that sounds bad. Gettin Hungry isn't edited quite right like the original either. Anyone know why "With Me Tonight" sounds so bad on that 2012 remaster? Brian sounds like he has marbles in his mouth on the stereo remix. Could it be some vocal effect they added? It's terrible and I'm not sure what happened there. It doesn't even sound like the same takes were used..

I've thought the same thing about "With Me Tonight" in stereo - doesn't sound like the same takes to me either. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx