-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  "Duck Dynasty" patriarch suspended by A&E for "homophobic" and "racist" remarks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Duck Dynasty" patriarch suspended by A&E for "homophobic" and "racist" remarks  (Read 33636 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

It's the year 2013 and many still hold medieval viewpoints on limiting citizens rights to happiness.

Are those rights to happiness limited to a certain set of pursuits, activities, and opinions? And who determines which opinions are "medieval" as opposed to being "progressive"?

Consider there was just a mayor in the US who banned the sale of larger-sized sodas within his city in the name of "health", and in that same city just this past month there was a politician who was seeking to ban E-cigarettes from bars, devices which have no tobacco, because they look too similar to real cigarettes. Fortunately the mayor got struck down by a higher court ruling which said he had no legal grounds or authority to regulate the size of drinks sold in his city, and the politico with the E-cigarette fetish will most likely be laughed out of the city.

So yes, I'd say taking away someone's ability to buy a jumbo-sized soda or puff on an E-cig while enjoying a drink at a bar would fall under the category of "limiting citizens rights to happiness" by trying to ban, remove, or regulate something which is not only legal but someone's own personal pursuit of happiness, if only for the few minutes of gulping that beverage or puffing that steam from their E-cig.

How about it?  Smiley

It's the 21st Century; people should be free to get their jollies however they want as long as it doesn't cause harm to others. Basically- short of rape or murder - if it feels good, do it. But don't be so thin skinned that you can't take people's criticism.
Anyone noticed that his speech also mentioned gamblers, drinkers and adulators as 'sinners' yet you don't see others groups up in arms about his comments. What makes homosexuals so special and delicate that they need 'progressive' sections of society to leap to their defence at the smallest slight? 

What's an adulator?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »

What's an adulator?

Someone who adulates.   LOL

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »

What's an adulator?

It's the end result of a mediocre speller and a crappy auto-speller.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »

So there are actually a bunch of "Tea Party" folks going on about a Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent GOP ticket in 2016...sh*t, these people are just as bad and dopey as liberals.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »

So, why is it news that an old obese white redneck is a homophobe and a racist?  This is not really news.

But what is interesting is that moral lepers like Herr Glen Beck and Frau Palin will rise to the defense of such filth.

Indeed.

Gentlemen, this is Your Amerikan Conservative Movement.  Fascists all.  You’re welcome to it.

P.S.

Just looking at those rancid beard makes me want to puke.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »

The stupidest thing about this is that every person involved seems to have no comprehension of what freedom of speech actually means.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 03:28:45 AM »

To be honest, the most annoying thing is not Phil expressing his opinion, but the public missing the point that his way of expressing it was the problem.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »

I thought this thread was grinding to a stop, but before it does I wanted to add another 2 cents, just something to think about.

I think what's being missed is that people are for the most part good, take that however you wish. A majority of people have little or no stake in this game of politics and political arguments when it comes to affairs like this.

It can be upsetting to see the games being played whenever something like this comes up, and there was something similar about the "Chick-Fil-A" restaurant chain, which led to outrage then boycotts then counter-protests, and the whole dust-up that followed. Same with the "French Fries" boycotts and nonsense ten years ago.

What that leaves out is the group of people who might look at it as simply as this: They watch the show because they enjoy the show, they are entertained by it. They buy a sandwich at Chick-Fil-A because they enjoy the food and like the sandwiches there. They like "French Fries" and would no matter what they're called.

I'd just be wagering on a long shot, but I'm betting most people fall into that category, and for whatever reasons they have for watching a TV show or eating at a restaurant have less to do with politics and ideology and more to do with a basic enjoyment of the product they choose to buy (or watch). That's it, on the basic level, going directly to the "pursuit of happiness" in their own daily universe.

Doesn't it seem a bit unreasonable then to somehow "guilt" those folks who might enjoy the show because something a character on the show said doesn't agree with your own political or social beliefs? Or something the CEO of a restaurant said? Or the country of origin of a certain food item?

As much as reality television isn't reality, nor is the assumption that because this group or that group calls for a boycott it automatically means those watching or eating the food or whatever the case are showing tacit agreement or approval with whatever political argument is raging, mostly from afar among groups who are paid professionals in the political arena, always on the lookout for new "targets" to impugn.

I see lines of cars at a local Chick-Fil-A every time I drive by, I see people wearing "Duck Dynasty" shirts and hats and whatnot...so would anyone suggest all of those people are "making a statement" that says anything deeper than "I like these sandwiches" or "I enjoy watching this show"? I hope not.

And what strikes me as arrogance if not selfishness is when some politically charged groups (on all sides, mind you), declare war on a given public figure or business or entity and assume everyone should not only agree with them, but immediately cease their enjoyment or support of that entity, which would include not buying the food, wearing the shirts, watching the show, again whatever the case.

Life is too short, seriously. What I'm trying to see more and more is that you'll find bad if you expect to find bad, and you'll find good if you look for good. Simple. Not always the case, unfortunately, but as a general rule I think most of the total strangers you encounter on any average day are basically doing what you're doing as well - trying to make it all work and take care of what needs to be taken care of. If called on to help, most people will help. If you happen to trip and fall on the street, for as many people who might laugh and walk by, there are probably more who would try to help you up and see if you were OK.

That's a notion which too many people either forgot, or just don't want to recognize. To try to guilt or goad millions of people into jumping on board with a cause or a political beef, to me, gets carried way too far by too many people, across all ideologies. There is no "litmus test" for us to pass or fail when it comes to everyday interaction, and assuming someone buys into some political hyperbole because you see them wearing either a Duck Dynasty hat or a Greenpeace T-shirt, or eating a Chick-Fil-A sandwich or Ben And Jerry's ice cream is doing the exact same thing many of the political folks would rail against.  

Let people enjoy what they enjoy. If someone wants to watch Duck Dynasty, let them watch. It's no one's business to continually point fingers of judgement at regular, everyday people in an effort to score political points.

I hope no one would feel guilty or feel like they're doing something wrong by wearing a Duck Dynasty shirt, even if some activist mentalities are suggesting by wearing a shirt like that, you're somehow agreeing or showing support for what this one guy said in a magazine interview.

Life is too short to continue to look for the bad in people from afar. But if that same person wearing a Duck shirt gets in your face and starts preaching or insulting you in that moment, then all bets are off.

But maybe we can try enjoying our own sandwiches a little more, and start worrying less about what people we don't know or have no contact with are doing or saying from afar. It goes by too fast, why not enjoy more of it? In the long run, what some guy on a TV show says or does is nowhere near as important or significant as something you might do today or tomorrow in your own life.   Smiley

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:54:16 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »

Don't get me wrong, guitarfool, I agree with you.  What some crazy old duck hunter said should not be an issue at all.  And it wasn't an issue at first.  Sure, tabloid news outlets were eating it up but it probably would have gone away after a few days.  What bothers me is the people like Sarah Palin who make it an issue and who do so for the wrong reasons.  Which is why it is important now.  Because it turns out that Palin and so many others believe that it is an attack on free speech and they are totally wrong.  Others are saying this is an attack on religious freedom, this is also wrong.  It's important that people know what freedom of speech actually is and that they know that actions always have consequences, whether they are free to express such actions in the first place or not.  It's also important that people know that religion is not a good excuse for homophobia or any sort of bigotry.  These are important conversations to have and I do believe that there are people out there who are learning from this debacle, as insignificant as it may have been to start with.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »

Don't get me wrong, guitarfool, I agree with you.  What some crazy old duck hunter said should not be an issue at all.  And it wasn't an issue at first.  Sure, tabloid news outlets were eating it up but it probably would have gone away after a few days.  What bothers me is the people like Sarah Palin who make it an issue and who do so for the wrong reasons.  Which is why it is important now.  Because it turns out that Palin and so many others believe that it is an attack on free speech and they are totally wrong.  Others are saying this is an attack on religious freedom, this is also wrong.  It's important that people know what freedom of speech actually is and that they know that actions always have consequences, whether they are free to express such actions in the first place or not.  It's also important that people know that religion is not a good excuse for homophobia or any sort of bigotry.  These are important conversations to have and I do believe that there are people out there who are learning from this debacle, as insignificant as it may have been to start with.

I second that!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »

Looks like A&E caved:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-e-welcomes-phil-robertson-667647

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »

This is a well-reasoned reply, and as such I'd like to expand on some of the issues at hand a bit more and have a dialogue here, exchanging and also debating some of the topics that go much deeper than the TV show itself, which ultimately is what got all of this started in the first place.

I could list a long rambling post of all the topics, but again I appreciate the rational and reasoned tone which the thread has shifted into, and I'd rather take one at a time.

First, consider the issues of crafting and marketing an image or a persona in the entertainment and business worlds.

Dean Martin:
Dean Martin's on-stage persona for years was that of a tipsy, swinging and sauve lothario who always had a drink in his hand. As the show progressed in Vegas, or wherever he was performing, the schtick would sometimes include a drink cart being wheeled out on stage so Dean could fix himself drink after drink, and get more "loose" and tipsy as the show went on, much to the crowd's delight.

The truth is that Dean was most often drinking non-alcoholic apple juice, or some other substitute. Not that he was entirely a tee-totaller his whole life, but he definitely was not downing drink after drink and getting blasted during those stage shows.

But his persona, his image, was part of his swinging schtick that he played up on stage. It's what the crowds expected to see after watching him cultivate that image for years, again always with the drink in hand. But he was not getting drunk on apple juice.

Johnny Carson.
The "King Of Late Night", one of the most brilliant TV personalities to ever host a show. He had a unique ability to warm up the television screen, and connect with people from all ages and backgrounds, all classes and groups. He was the type of guy who made people feel like he was talking with them, and whose personable style and demeanor made it seem like you'd want to have a drink or spend time with him, and he'd be endlessly entertaining, the "life of the party" who lit up any room.

The truth is that Johnny was self-conscious and shy, and was not comfortable among groups of people at gatherings and parties to the point of withdrawing and coming off as aloof if not cold as ice at times. If he didn't need to go, he'd avoid such functions and preferred the company of close friends and familiar surroundings. He was also a lightweight drinker, yet had an appetite for consuming booze, and when he did get fueled up he could be a mean and nasty drunk with people around him. The booze that would get him comfortable enough to deal with crowds he didn't want to be in would also turn him into a less-than-pleasant drunk.

Yet Johnny on camera is still one of the most engaging and "friendly" personalities that has ever appeared on American television, and that warmth from afar is what made him the king of his domain, late-night talk television. No one has nor will ever do that gig better than Johnny.

So where does Phil Robertson fit into all of this?

I don't watch the show, truth is I didn't know much if anything about it until this dust-up over the GQ article and A&E. Looking not far beyond the surface for some background, you might find some interesting points which tie into the persona and image-crafting elements.

Anyone interested, look these things up for yourself, I'm just repeating what I read on just a simple check of the backstory.

"Some crazy old duck hunter" doesn't fit reality. Nor does the image of a gaggle of long-bearded backwoods rednecks. It's what the "reality show" puts out there, but it's *NOT* reality.

Phil Robertson himself did grow up dirt poor in the deep south. But he was a good athlete, which got him a college scholarship and that led to his starting at quarterback ahead of future Hall Of Famer Terry Bradshaw for several years. He was offered an NFL contract, but turned it down.

The man also earned both a Bachelor's and Master's degree in education, and worked as a teacher for several years. At the same time, in the early 70's, he was developing duck calls (hunting was his favorite pursuit) and soon incorporated a business which was his second golden ticket out of the deep south poverty he grew up in, a sports scholarship being his first.

So the man being considered an uneducated, unsophisticated redneck backwoods type is actually holding a Master's degree in education and started a multimillion dollar successful business based on something he grew up doing as a kid.

I'd say the reality far outweighs the persona and image of a country bumpkin, because you do not earn a Master's degree and incorporate a multimillion dollar business if you're an uneducated redneck.

Then his family, specifically his sons who are in the family business. Pretty much the same deal: They're sporting the camo clothes and the unkempt beards, but they are also college-educated business and marketing professionals by trade. They are far from backwoods rednecks who lucked into a pot of gold, rather they studied and learned business at college and for a time were the stereotypical three-piece-suit and wingtip wearing professional types, educated and skillful in their trade.

So that's one element of this: Just like Dean Martin was drinking apple juice and pretending to get boozy and drunk, and Johnny Carson could be a mean and nasty drunk off-stage yet looked like the friendliest guy in America at 11:30 PM on NBC, the family branded and marketed a persona and an image for entertainment and business purposes. Far from being uneducated rednecks, they knew exactly what they were doing and when A&E came calling that image became amplified to the point of caricature, as if the characters seen on TV were scripted and written.

And that's what I'm getting at here.

They're dipping a toe into the entertainment business, which at its core sells the public line after line of bullshit. They market and sell based on image and perception, and what you see on video, print, or elsewhere has been crafted, tweaked, shaped, and focus-grouped to appeal to certain demographics and bottom line...to sell product.

Part of crafting that image involves safeguarding that image. We can't let audiences in 1961 know that Dean Martin was pretending to be drunk, nor can we let people in 1967 know that Johnny Carson had to be forcibly carried out of a certain restaurant for being unruly, it wouldn't fit the image.

Someone tell me that letting an interview like this go in 2013, with our instant-information culture of media, wasn't intentional? How much editing, revising, and crafting happens before a simple press release is sent out? In entertainment, sports, politics...

...I'll say with confidence that anything which gets published on a scale as large as GQ is intentional. And don't think that interview by Robertson was not "vetted" by teams of managers, lawyers, agents, and other reps from both A&E and Robertson's company(s) before it was given the OK. This is how corporations work, and how entertainment works. There are few if any "off the cuff" or "off the record" remarks reported if they're not let slip accidentally by anyone from a boozed-up actor to a politician who gets caught speaking candidly on an open mic.

And what was the outcome of this "Duck Dynasty" debacle? People are talking about "Duck Dynasty", many who had no idea what the show even was. And A&E for all of their "outrage" and swift action against Robertson...conveniently they were running a "Duck Dynasty" marathon of episodes just this past weekend, which timed itself perfectly with the dust-up over the GQ interview.

Coincidence? Or skillful subliminal if not guerrilla marketing and promotion?

It's all about the hype, and the hype is all about selling product.

And just keep in mind what the reality actually is with a Phil Robertson versus what some in this thread seem to have been fooled into thinking is the reality based on the public persona crafted to sell product.

And consider that bashing or critiquing or even supporting  a persona as groups like GLAD or Sarah Palin and now "Johnny-Come-Lately" Jesse Jackson are doing is only putting more attention on (and therefore more money into the pockets of) the very persona you're railing against.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »

My personal issue with this whole ordeal is that it draws attention away from the fact that Duck Dynasty is a stupid show to begin with.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »

My personal issue with this whole ordeal is that it draws attention away from the fact that Duck Dynasty is a stupid show to begin with.

That is unfortunately the nature of mass-market television, it doesn't start nor end with Duck Dynasty.  Grin  Stupid shows will always be around and people will watch, from "My Mother The Car" to "Keeping Up With The Kardashians".

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »

That is unfortunately the nature of mass-market television, it doesn't start nor end with Duck Dynasty.  Grin  Stupid shows will always be around and people will watch, from "My Mother The Car" to "Keeping Up With The Kardashians".

When the hell did this guy get his own show???

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: