gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:46:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian bring his falsetto back in mid-70s?  (Read 14472 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »

For what it is worth, Foskett's website lists Getcha Back as him on it:

http://www.new-surf.com/foskett/vocals_jf.html

Kind of interesting that it is the only song from Beach Boys 85 that he lists.

Maybe someone told Jeff as a fact that it was him on "Getcha Back" and he believed it? Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »

Getcha Back has got to be Brian. It sounds like him and even has his "wavering" 80s singing voice.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »

I recall reading that Brian's vocals were so poor during the recording of BB 1985 that Steve Levine told Brian as much, and that he needed to find a vocal coach.  Levine supposedly thought he would be fired, but was surprised when he got a call the next day asking for the name of a coach.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 01:51:37 PM »

Don'tcha love it when documentation casts severe doubt on what someone told you was a fact ?  Grin

Who told you that it was Jeff? Bruce? Or Jeff himself?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »

This subject has come up so often it's unbelievable.  The very first time I heard "Getcha Back" in '85, I knew it was Brian. There was no doubt in my mind that it was him then and now. The one that always gets me is not the Love You or Getcha Back Brian falsettos, but the one song; "Matchpoint Of Our Love" from '78. I've never read or heard how he sang so clear on that - it sounds like his late 60's/early 70's voice. From another era. I've read that his voice was processed, then I read that it wasn't. And no, Autotune wasn't around back then, but some recording 'gimmicks' were. Still a mystery with no definitive answer after all these years.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »

This subject has come up so often it's unbelievable.  The very first time I heard "Getcha Back" in '85, I knew it was Brian. There was no doubt in my mind that it was him then and now. The one that always gets me is not the Love You or Getcha Back Brian falsettos, but the one song; "Matchpoint Of Our Love" from '78. I've never read or heard how he sang so clear on that - it sounds like his late 60's/early 70's voice. From another era. I've read that his voice was processed, then I read that it wasn't. And no, Autotune wasn't around back then, but some recording 'gimmicks' were. Still a mystery with no definitive answer after all these years.

As absurd a thought as this is: there isn't any possible way that the "Matchpoint" vocal was actually recorded several years earlier, and then flown on top of a M.I.U.-era backing track, is there? Obviously the backing track is very late 70s sounding though. While I think this idea is highly unlikely, I too am trying to figure out how Brian's vocal chords hopped into a time machine in 1978.

Other than thinking this is due to his short-lived vocal "recovery", there seems to be no answer. The only possible thought that makes any sense to me is that his late 70s "gruff" voice of the era was, at times, a put-on, and something psychological that he was able to control sometimes.

Are there perhaps any late 70s live recordings of other songs that BW sang around this time, where his vocals even come within the ballpark of approximating the tone/delivery that he nailed on "Matchpoint"?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:22:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:34:37 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »

It's a subject that I'd like to get to the bottom of.  And a subject which I have dibs on starting a new thread on soon.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »

This subject has come up so often it's unbelievable.  The very first time I heard "Getcha Back" in '85, I knew it was Brian. There was no doubt in my mind that it was him then and now. The one that always gets me is not the Love You or Getcha Back Brian falsettos, but the one song; "Matchpoint Of Our Love" from '78. I've never read or heard how he sang so clear on that - it sounds like his late 60's/early 70's voice. From another era. I've read that his voice was processed, then I read that it wasn't. And no, Autotune wasn't around back then, but some recording 'gimmicks' were. Still a mystery with no definitive answer after all these years.

As absurd a thought as this is: there isn't any possible way that the "Matchpoint" vocal was actually recorded several years earlier, and then flown on top of a M.I.U.-era backing track, is there? Obviously the backing track is very late 70s sounding though. While I think this idea is highly unlikely, I too am trying to figure out how Brian's vocal chords hopped into a time machine in 1978.

Other than thinking this is due to his short-lived vocal "recovery", there seems to be no answer. The only possible thought that makes any sense to me is that his late 70s "gruff" voice of the era was, at times, a put-on, and something psychological that he was able to control sometimes.

Are there perhaps any late 70s live recordings of other songs that BW sang around this time, where his vocals even come within the ballpark of approximating the tone/delivery that he nailed on "Matchpoint"?

I have been mystified and obsessed with Brian's vocal on "Matchpoint" since the day I heard it - the day the album was released. You have to realize how a fan would be caught off guard - and elated - after coming off of 15 Big Ones and Love You. The bigger mystery is not how Brian pulled it off at M.I.U., but WHY DIDN'T HE CONTINUE IT?

I think Brian came close to the "Matchpoint" vocal on "Winter Symphony" and "Wontcha Come Out Tonight". Hell, I even love(d) the falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm". But, no, he rarely matched the clarity and relaxed vocal of "Matchpoint", though I do think his live vocals in 1980 and 1981 are of higher quality than some fans think.

I never considered the falsetto vocal on "Getcha Back" to be anybody but Brian until it was questioned on a thread on this board. Sometimes your ears are the best judges and it just feels like Brian.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »

I have been mystified and obsessed with Brian's vocal on "Matchpoint" since the day I heard it - the day the album was released. You have to realize how a fan would be caught off guard - and elated - after coming off of 15 Big Ones and Love You. The bigger mystery is not how Brian pulled it off at M.I.U., but WHY DIDN'T HE CONTINUE IT?

I think Brian came close to the "Matchpoint" vocal on "Winter Symphony" and "Wontcha Come Out Tonight". Hell, I even love(d) the falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm". But, no, he rarely matched the clarity and relaxed vocal of "Matchpoint", though I do think his live vocals in 1980 and 1981 are of higher quality than some fans think.

I never considered the falsetto vocal on "Getcha Back" to be anybody but Brian until it was questioned on a thread on this board. Sometimes your ears are the best judges and it just feels like Brian.

I can't imagine how bizarre it must've been to have heard "Matchpoint" when it came out. Not quite sure what fans made of it at the time... did fans at the time know that "Good Time" was vintage? That must've been puzzling to hear on an album in '77.

I gotta say that I *love* "Matchpoint". It just has a really cool melody, and I can get over the lyrics, even if they are cheesy (this band has done way worse). It seems like the BBs were in a sports phase lyrically in the late 70s, with "Matchpoint", "I'm Trying to Say", and "Our Team". But I suppose we dodged a bullet - if they'd kept it up for a few more songs, maybe a late 70s sports concept album would've been their oddball sequel to the Little Deuce Couple car "concept" album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »

I can't imagine how bizarre it must've been to have heard "Matchpoint" when it came out. Not quite sure what fans made of it at the time... did fans at the time know that "Good Time" was vintage? That must've been puzzling to hear on an album in '77.

I gotta say that I *love* "Matchpoint". It just has a really cool melody, and I can get over the lyrics, even if they are cheesy (this band has done way worse). It seems like the BBs were in a sports phase lyrically in the late 70s, with "Matchpoint", "I'm Trying to Say", and "Our Team". But I suppose we dodged a bullet - if they'd kept it up for a few more songs, maybe a late 70s sports concept album would've been their oddball sequel to the Little Deuce Couple car "concept" album.

1977- early 1978 was a very optimistic time for Beach Boys' fans. Coming off of Love You and POB, new recording contract on the horizon, "Almost Summer" was an AM radio hit. You didn't want to take the 1977 Labor Day incident seriously. Everytime you saw a picture of Brian he was losing more weight and his hair was shorter and you really thought he WAS coming all the way back. You have to remember that this was pre-internet, so you would go months between pictures and articles and TV appearances. That was also why the concerts were so exciting. You had no idea what The Beach Boys were gonna look like, much less sound like. I was ectstatic over M.I.U. Yes, I knew the material wasn't up to the level of Love You, but I thought it was good then and I still think it's good. That's why I was so looking forward to the next album, and also why L.A. (Light Album) is, for me, The Beach Boys' most disappointing album. But that's for another thread...

I love everything about "Matchpoint", including the lyrics. This has nothing to do with Mike Love....I thought the lyrics were clever, like CenturyDeprived said "sports phase", and for a breezy B.Wilson/M.Love album cut - perfectly fine. The song should've preceded "My Diane" on the album. And, I'll raise the question for the zillionth time, why didn't Brian continue to sing/record in that vocal style. He went shouty. M.I.U. was the last album, Beach Boys or solo - where I actually enjoyed Brian's lead vocals. Imagination and TWGMTR come close; there are highlights on both of them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:38:00 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 07:39:30 PM »

i don't know about Getcha Back, but Wipe Out with the Fat Boys is all Brian on bgv's

i wouldn't call Brian's gruff 70s voice a put-on as much as a calculated and intentional attempt to sound more manly or macho. he was trying his best to get away from his falsetto and squeaky clean vocals of the 60s. but songs like Matchpoint, Winter Symphony, and Wontcha Come Out Tonight are proof that he could still deliver the vocal goods at least into the late 70s.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:34:25 PM by zatch » Logged
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 05:16:36 AM »

I saw a BB documentary on YouTube which shows a 70s era Surfer Girl performance where Brian displays a very strong falsetto at the end.. it was pretty shocking to hear.

I'm a believer of the put-on theory.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 05:31:02 AM »

i don't know about Getcha Back, but Wipe Out with the Fat Boys is all Brian on bgv's

i wouldn't call Brian's gruff 70s voice a put-on as much as a calculated and intentional attempt to sound more manly or macho. he was trying his best to get away from his falsetto and squeaky clean vocals of the 60s. but songs like Matchpoint, Winter Symphony, and Wontcha Come Out Tonight are proof that he could still deliver the vocal goods at least into the late 70s.

Foskett's website also list Wipe Out as a song he is on as well.

http://www.new-surf.com/foskett/vocals_jf.html
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:41 AM »

I'll raise the question for the zillionth time, why didn't Brian continue to sing/record in that vocal style. He went shouty. M.I.U. was the last album, Beach Boys or solo - where I actually enjoyed Brian's lead vocals. Imagination and TWGMTR come close; there are highlights on both of them.

I enjoyed Brian's vocals on TLOS by far the most post-MIU. There's some good ones on TWGMTR as well, I don't have Brian's Disney/Gershwin vox in my mind to compare though.

Why didn't he continue singing that way? I'd rather ask: Why didn't he keep singing leads at all?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »

IMO, Brian Wilson simply could not have sung the falsetto to Getcha Back as his voice was too rough, he was not capable of it at that time.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »

IMO, Brian Wilson simply could not have sung the falsetto to Getcha Back as his voice was too rough, he was not capable of it at that time.

He got pretty high on "I'm So Lonely".
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »

I saw a BB documentary on YouTube which shows a 70s era Surfer Girl performance where Brian displays a very strong falsetto at the end.. it was pretty shocking to hear.

link?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »

He got pretty high on "I'm So Lonely".

I'm also nearly sure that's him hitting the high notes on "It's Gettin' Late" right at the beginning. He also gets way up there on stuff like "Walkin' the Line", "Melt Away" and "Let It Shine". And he sounds pretty freakin' great on those, especially "Let It Shine".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »

Brian Wilson, 1985/86:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls31FT-gvLo

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »

Brian also got his voice up very high (for substantial portions of the song) on "Heavenly Bodies". I love this track, even though the cheesy sax riff and the very last notes of the song sound just like the end of the Growing Pains theme song.

I'm thinking this is the last example of Brian attempting a falsetto for a substantial chunk of lyrics in a song. And I'm also guessing that since falsetto (to that degree) seems to be out of his range now, that is why this song hasn't been remade/reworked for GIOMH or for any subsequent release.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »

I Sleep Alone.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

Just to be clear, on "Getcha Back", is the "ahhhh" that starts at :09 in question, or the "oooh" that starts at :15? Because I can't imagine anyone not hearing Brian Wilson at :09 with the "ahhhh." I could see the "oooh" at :15 being a different person (Jeff).
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 01:36:03 PM »

I agree that other songs on MIU sound damn good vocally for the time.. Winter Symphony, Wontcha Come Out Tonight, and Matchpoint all being recorded around the same time period.

Other examples of the similar good quality Brian vocal leads I've heard are this alternate mix "It's Like Heaven" where Brian sings the bridge/middle 8 part at the end (not sure where it came from but I have it on mp3) and he sounds similar to on MIU. Also the new "California Feelin'" mix on Made In California that has that Brian intro "...like most days" was a HUGE revelation. He sounded just like his '74 self on the demo version! That really confused me at first.. I wasn't sure if he did another version that they tagged on to the intro of the '78 Beach Boys version, until I read later that that was actually from 1978 too, I suppose the brief Miami sessions Brian did.

Also "You've Lost That Lovin Feeling" cover is amazing! His vocal on there gets to late 60's/early 70's quality easily on that track. The falsettos are amazingly good. Aside from Matchpoint, that one is also a big shocker for me how amazing his falsettos are on that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:38:18 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx