gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:29:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys On Simpsons  (Read 7951 times)
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »

So I was just watching the latest Simpsons episode and they started playing a 60's sounding song. The voice sounded familiar, but it was only till I heard the trademark Beach Boys harmony that I realized it was Mike Love singing. The song was Merry Christmas Baby from the Christmas album =O
Gohi
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »

Highlight ofthe bit I watched of that episode. Couldn't stand anymore after that. Terrible.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »

That's pretty cool

All Summer Long and Good Vibe have also been heard on The Simpsons

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »

Just think - if only the original idea for "Summer of Love" had panned out, we'd have had the BBs doing a duet with Bart Simpson.

Even though many questionable BB movie/TV tie-ins were made in the 80s/90s, I still think this would have made for a iconic moment (even in a so-bad-it's-good way) for both the BBs and The Simpsons. Not saying it would've been good though.

Someone should ask Nancy Cartright (Bart Simpson's voice) sometime if the duet idea ever made it to the point of actually being floated by her. Ay carumba, man.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:57:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »

So I was just watching the latest Simpsons episode and they started playing a 60's sounding song. The voice sounded familiar, but it was only till I heard the trademark Beach Boys harmony that I realized it was Mike Love singing. The song was Merry Christmas Baby from the Christmas album =O

Was it a re recording?
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »

Was it a re recording?

Nope, it was the original as far as I could tell.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »

That's pretty cool
Good Vibe have also been heard on The Simpsons
Thanks a lot, surviving Beach Boys!  LOL
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »

That's pretty cool

Surfin' Safari, too, from the episode where they first get the internet.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 08:56:50 AM »

Even though some of the songs have been played on The Simpsons, isn't it strange that none of the band members has ever made a guest appearance on the show?  Seeing as they've had everyone from Buzz Aldrin to Thomas Pynchon on the show and all.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »

Even though some of the songs have been played on The Simpsons, isn't it strange that none of the band members has ever made a guest appearance on the show?  Seeing as they've had everyone from Buzz Aldrin to Thomas Pynchon on the show and all.

Brian's not a stranger to cartoon voice overs either as he made a bizarre appearance as himself on the Daffy Duck revival series Duck Dodgers whenever that was.

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »

Don't forget California Sun from the Curious George Movie. I was watching it with my toddler son and was surprised to hear it. Wish I had a CD copy of the song.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo problemo.  Grin

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-George-Follow-That-Monkey/dp/B0033G9NUQ

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »

That's pretty cool

All Summer Long was my favorite use of a BB song on the Simpsons.. I don't remember Good Vibes though, anyone know what episode that was? I know "ASL" was on the ending of the season finale episode of season 7, way back in 1996.. I loved the use of it there, since the episode was about a summer beach house.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »

Doesn't Mr. Burns also appear on Smart Girls?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »

There's also an episode where they majorly spoof Mike Love's Kokomo era Beach Boys.

These all pale compared to the episode of The Cleveland Show where they make reference to Murry making Brian take a dump in front of the whole family. "Little Duke Poop" indeed!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 05:58:41 AM »

I don't remember Good Vibes though, anyone know what episode that was?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KweHR08S_g

:14 - 1:07

I don't remember if there was any other use of GV in the series (and yeah, "All Summer Long" was great on the show).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 06:19:21 AM »

Are you kidding? You really want to see the BBs on this extremely overrated cartoon?! I shall never understand what's good about it. For starters, the characters look terrible, with those froggy eyes & upfront upper lips. 2nd, some of the series are vulgar & contain insipid rants. For those reasons alone, I'm glad The Boys didn't show up there. As usual, they're one of a kind.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »

Are you kidding? You really want to see the BBs on this extremely overrated cartoon?! I shall never understand what's good about it. For starters, the characters look terrible, with those froggy eyes & upfront upper lips. 2nd, some of the series are vulgar & contain insipid rants. For those reasons alone, I'm glad The Boys didn't show up there. As usual, they're one of a kind.
The Simpsons is a classic! Maybe you should give some of the episodes more of a chance (and by some, I mean some from seasons 3 to Cool.
But yeah, they jumped the shark a long time ago, their last great season was Season 13, and that was well over 10 years ago. The show should just end.

What I don't understand is why the Simpsons which is way past it's prime is still going and Futurama, which is a far better show now, gets cancelled?!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »

For starters, the characters look terrible, with those froggy eyes & upfront upper lips. 2nd, some of the series are vulgar & contain insipid rants.

And that's part of why The Simpsons is genius! Grin

BTW, the other day I heard a recent cover version of "Christmas Day" from the Christmas album. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to what was said before the song started, so I don't know who the artist was. It was a rather uninspired version, the singer was female.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 12:41:47 AM »

For starters, the characters look terrible, with those froggy eyes & upfront upper lips. 2nd, some of the series are vulgar & contain insipid rants.

And that's part of why The Simpsons is genius! Grin

BTW, the other day I heard a recent cover version of "Christmas Day" from the Christmas album. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to what was said before the song started, so I don't know who the artist was. It was a rather uninspired version, the singer was female.

Probably She & Him.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »

I think The Simpsons has not aged well and while it's still quite funny, it tries a little too hard to stay current and misses the sincerity that made it so great in the first place.  But looking at it's early years, it's easy to see why it was a cultural phenomenon.  Especially when the great comedy writer Sam Simon was directly involved.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 03:06:28 AM »

The Simpsons is a classic! Maybe you should give some of the episodes more of a chance [and by some, I mean some from seasons 3 to 8].
I did try to give the episodes a chance, but no, I still couldn't stand its insipid humor & awkward dialogs. Also, I don't like sth. because it's a classic, milestone, cultural phenomenon & such. I have my own judgement about everything, don't usually rely on what others tell about this or that. It's easy, you should use this method too.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 03:22:28 AM »

The Simpsons is a classic! Maybe you should give some of the episodes more of a chance [and by some, I mean some from seasons 3 to 8].
I did try to give the episodes a chance, but no, I still couldn't stand its insipid humor & awkward dialogs. Also, I don't like sth. because it's a classic, milestone, cultural phenomenon & such. I have my own judgement about everything, don't usually rely on what others tell about this or that. It's easy, you should use this method too.
Sth?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 03:32:25 AM »

Sth?
Read "something". The Simpsons is a travesty.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 08:14:33 AM »

Also, I don't like sth. because it's a classic, milestone, cultural phenomenon & such.

I can tell you that this is not the reason I love The Simpsons. It's because they reliably make me laugh. And in addition to that, they prove that not all Americans are gun-crazy religious fundamentalists.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx