gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:23:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Essential Kinks albums  (Read 7719 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »

But even if you can't dig what's happening there, how can a Kinks fan not *love* Sitting in the Midday Sun on side 2?  Another  ignored Ray Davies gem to go with all the others.

To me it sounds like a lame attempt at recapturing the lazy mood and atmosphere of 'Sunny Afternoon'. Sorry.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »

But even if you can't dig what's happening there, how can a Kinks fan not *love* Sitting in the Midday Sun on side 2?  Another  ignored Ray Davies gem to go with all the others.

To me it sounds like a lame attempt at recapturing the lazy mood and atmosphere of 'Sunny Afternoon'. Sorry.
It's actually one of the better Preservation songs. The better songs are mostly on Act 1, which is far less plot driven than Act 2. "Sweet Lady Genevieve" is one of Ray's most heartfelt songs, and how can any Kinks fan not love "One of the Survivors"? I have a poor quality, black and white video of "Soap Opera" live and it's much more enjoyable than the album version.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »

It's actually one of the better Preservation songs. The better songs are mostly on Act 1, which is far less plot driven than Act 2. "Sweet Lady Genevieve" is one of Ray's most heartfelt songs, and how can any Kinks fan not love "One of the Survivors"? I have a poor quality, black and white video of "Soap Opera" live and it's much more enjoyable than the album version.

Second time I hear the "how can any Kinks fan not love..." expression in this thread, and this time around it's about my least favourite song on the album and one of my most disliked Kinks recordings.  LOL Funny how tastes differ.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:20 PM »

Second time I hear the "how can any Kinks fan not love..." expression in this thread, and this time around it's about my least favourite song on the album and one of my most disliked Kinks recordings.  LOL Funny how tastes differ.
I always love the Kinks doing straight ahead, driving rock 'n' roll.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »

I have been doing a lot (a lot) of Kinks listening lately and I've come to realize that, while important, the albums weren't the only "essential" things about The Kinks. In fact, sometimes the singles that were released were better than any of the songs on the actual album.

You never mentioned what 'version' of the CD's that you bought, but the new/newer reissues package the albums with the singles that were released around that era. If you don't have them already, I definitely recommend searching those out. They weren't only focused on albums, Ray put everything into those singles too! (Which is kinda disappointing because said singles never really made too much of an impact.)

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

Good point. For the first couple of years the b-sides and EP tracks were much better than much of the actual album content, plus all those fantastic non album singles! Even by the late 60's they were making b-sides that many groups would envy having for a-sides. Polly, Big Black Smoke, King Kong, the list goes on. Plus the b-sides often become the dumping ground for Dave's songs - he really developed as a songwriter over this period. Picture Book does a great job of rounding up all this material for anyone that already has the standard albums.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »

YEA.. They made some Awesome singles..!!  Waterloo Sunset + Days Are favorites.. Their early rockers my favorite single is Till the end of the day.. Somebody should cover that song..! 
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »

I have been doing a lot (a lot) of Kinks listening lately and I've come to realize that, while important, the albums weren't the only "essential" things about The Kinks. In fact, sometimes the singles that were released were better than any of the songs on the actual album.

You never mentioned what 'version' of the CD's that you bought, but the new/newer reissues package the albums with the singles that were released around that era. If you don't have them already, I definitely recommend searching those out. They weren't only focused on albums, Ray put everything into those singles too! (Which is kinda disappointing because said singles never really made too much of an impact.)

I've heard all the singles. I have the Ultimate Collection. It was the only Kinks release I had for years, until I got Something Else and the Village Green Preservation Society in the spring. Because I already had access to Death Of A Clown and Waterloo Sunset for years I wasn't able to enjoy Something Else as much as I could have.

The Kinks were essentially a singles band until at least 1970. Their singles always had more fleshed out arrangements and production than the album tracks. Listen to Lola and Apeman on the Lola LP; the difference in production quality is astounding.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:48:29 PM by Gabo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »

I've heard all the singles. I have the Ultimate Collection. It was the only Kinks release I had for years, until I got Something Else and the Village Green Preservation Society in the spring.

Actually, the Ultimate Collection is mostly A-sides. So, there's still a good deal of B-sides that you haven't heard that are worth searching for.

If you're interested, this is a pretty good resource for all the singles they released: http://www.kindakinks.net/discography/index.php?uksingles
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:30:32 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 12:45:09 AM »

I think their first great album was Face to Face, from 1966. They sure did have a great run of singles in the 60's, though. Funny that RCA signed them after their chart comeback with Lola, then the band lost all interest in having hit singles, with Ray focused on doing concept albums and rock operas. Then they signed with Arista, and Clive Davis told them to do an extended ending on the track "Brother", seeing it as one with "hit single" written all over it - and then it never got released as a single! Only in the Kinks universe do things take such perverse turns.

I've heard all the singles. I have the Ultimate Collection. It was the only Kinks release I had for years, until I got Something Else and the Village Green Preservation Society in the spring. Because I already had access to Death Of A Clown and Waterloo Sunset for years I wasn't able to enjoy Something Else as much as I could have.

The Kinks were essentially a singles band until at least 1970. Their singles always had more fleshed out arrangements and production than the album tracks. Listen to Lola and Apeman on the Lola LP; the difference in production quality is astounding.

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »

Village Green and Arthur are my personal faves, followed by Something Else.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »

everything from Something Else to Muswell Hillbillies is absolutley essential, aside from the Percy soundtrack

Lola vs. Powerman could be my favorite of the bunch. one of the strongest opening (and closing) tracks of all-time
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »

I've bought a lot of the "Classic period" albums but the only that hasn't disappointed me so far is The Village Green Preservation Society. Nothing else they did really compares to it.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »

I've been doing my fair share on Kinks listening recently. Listening and re-evaluating some old stuff and checking out some new. What a lovely band.

I've grown to quite like Arthur. It's a departure from the acoustic guitar sound they had (that I love), but this album isn't too heavy on electrics yet. Some great songs here: "Victoria" is an awesome song with a great intro and enjoyable screaming from Dave in the background - he seems to be having fun on this one; "Drivin'" is lovely, escapist fun with those wonderful "do dodo doo"'s and is so very catchy; "Australia" and "Shangri-La" are some of the best songs that Ray's ever written, the former having some Beach Boy references in terms of harmonies and the latter has some incisive lyrics; "She's Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina" is another of my favorites (but probably not many other people's), my favorite moments being those wacky, kazoo filled choruses that are just so fun to listen to; Arthur closes out on "Arthur," perhaps a bit repetitive, but it's well-made and cruises right along.

I've also warmed to Lola Vs. Powerman, although I'd still probably listen to anything from Face to Face to Arthur instead. My favorite moments on this record are probably the music hall numbers ("Denmark Street," "Moneygoround"), "Strangers" (a very melancholy, ambiguous song from Dave), and the two singles. These being "Lola" and "Apeman." "Lola" is a great sing-a-long kinda song, and I love the grittiness in Ray's voice as he sings, as if he finds some wicked pleasure in this humorous story. "Apeman" might be my favorite track, not sure why. I love those opening piano chords and that "I don't want to live in this world no more" melody (here's a promo video for it that I love). The other songs are quite alright also, I think they just take a bit of patient listening to really sink your teeth into.

The new album for me was Muswell Hillbillies, which I like a lot. An interesting sound and direction for this very English band, injecting some American country-rock into their tunes. Of course, Ray writes a song about his disillusionment - "20th Century Man" - and like usual, it's relatable and good, damn him. His music hall-like works are here as well ("Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues," "Holiday," "Alcohol"), all of which I love - he sure seems to know what he's talking about with "Alcohol." "Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues" and "Afternoon Tea" are great examples of Ray's humour - the "tea with your afternoon tea" always manages to inspire a chuckle from me. The other songs are great, too - "Skin and Bone" is a song with odd subject matter but some great bass vocals, surprisingly; "Complicated Life" is a good one too, very catchy, kinda one of his music hall-ish numbers; "Holloway Jail," "Oklahoma USA," and "Uncle Son" show up as some of the last songs and all seem to create quite a somber mood, playing up more of the folk side of country music - once again, an odd direction for them. I love it, nonetheless.

Back to eating my burrito...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »

All fantastic albums. When are you going to take the plunge and try Preservation Acts I & II?

The Kinks are all over English tv at the moment. Their songs are being used on 3 adverts. They are All Day and All of the Night, She's Got Everything and someone doing a cover of This Time Tomorrow.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »

All fantastic albums. When are you going to take the plunge and try Preservation Acts I & II?

After taking some time listening to Lola and Muswell some more, I'll be taking that plunge.
I'm more excited for Act I than I am Act II from what I read about it. It seems, like, if you were to take a concept album, separate all the "song"-songs from the "story"-songs, you would create Preservation Act I & II. I think anyone who's ever listened to a concept album before can see the flaw in that plan.

Is it possible to combine the two into a coherent album unto itself? Might be an interesting idea...

Apparently, Ray quite likes these two albums.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »

Anyway i stand by my statement VGPS is definitely their masterpiece. every song on that album is delicious. i love the diversity as well

im not so keen on Hillbillies...
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »

Anyway i stand by my statement VGPS is definitely their masterpiece. every song on that album is delicious. i love the diversity as well

Have you read the 33 1/3 book covering it? It's actually quite a good book.
New interviews, great background info, old quotes - does a great job of compiling it all into a coherent narrative.
The track-by-track write ups are nice too, and it's fun to listen along while reading what he says. He reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyy likes "Big Sky."
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »

big sky is one of the cleverest songs ever written
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 06:37:03 AM »

I really enjoy THE KINK KONTROVERSY.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »

I've been blasting a lot of Kinks tonight - God, Kontrovesty to Lola Verses Powerman is one of the greatest runs of albums by any group ever!

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 12:04:33 AM »

I've been blasting a lot of Kinks tonight - God, Kontrovesty to Lola Verses Powerman is one of the greatest runs of albums by any group ever!

Those early albums kick some serious butt ...... Band swung and grooved and commanded their instruments in a way The Stones n Beatles never could .....
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »

The Kinks are all over English tv at the moment. Their songs are being used on 3 adverts. They are All Day and All of the Night, She's Got Everything and someone doing a cover of This Time Tomorrow.
Its Gaz Coombes ex supergrass front man who does the cover. Very nice it is too.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

Its Gaz Coombes ex supergrass front man who does the cover. Very nice it is too.

When I first heard Supergrass's "Alright" (in 1995 or whenever it was) my first thought was "this has got to be a Kinks cover, right?"

Please delete my account
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx