gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681574 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 17, 2024, 03:09:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Essential Kinks albums  (Read 7924 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »

Last semester I took Rock History and Culture in college and did a presentation on The Kinks. I never really appreciated them outside of the few singles I heard, but I really fell in love with their music while doing the project. They are perhaps my favorite 60s band, tied with the Beatles and Beach Boys. Ray is easily one of the best lyricists in rock history, and a great melody writer as well.

I started with the Ultimate Collection, which I already had prior to the beginning of my obsession. I bought Village Green Preservation Society some months ago during the research process, and was accidentally shipped Something Else as well. I recently bought Arthur.

I like Village Green by far the most out of the three I own. Arthur has more noticeable flaws: the guitar jam at the end of Australia, the song "Nothing To Say," and overall less inspired (but still very good) melodies. Something Else just sounds like a compilation, with too many Dave Davies songs diluting the program. "No Return," has got to be one of the loveliest melodies I've heard, though.

What else is worth buying? I want Face To Face, but it is rare in the US and very expensive on Amazon ($30 for one album, no thanks!). Albums in the RCA (?) era starting with Muswell Hillbillies seems to be easier to acquire in the US. Lola also seems relatively common and inexpensive on Amazon (I actually recently saw it in Barnes and Noble, but for $18).

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:35:04 PM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »

In my opinion any Kinks album before Muswelll Hillbillies is worth getting. In other words essential. I have all of those albums on my computer
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »

This might be a bit of a tangent, but I've only really found myself falling in love with Something Else and Village Green. I've also recently picked up Face to Face which is a good album as well. It's sort of a mix between their early rock material and their soon-to-be poppier work. It's definitely one you should pick up if you get the chance.

With Something Else and Village Green, they seemed to really lock down this special sound that appeals to me greatly. So, when I picked up Arthur, I had high hopes, but was kinda disappointed. Electric guitars started showing up and replacing that unique acoustic guitar sound that I like so much. Also, they seemed to move towards a more basic rock formula.

Anyway, back on topic....

I haven't picked them up personally, but The Kink Kronikles is a compilation with a bunch of unreleased stuff and The Great Lost Kinks Album (good luck finding one, though) also has some unreleased stuff from '66-'70. For studio stuff, it seems you can go up to 1971 and be safe to assume that you'll get a good album (haven't checked them all out myself, yet.)

Another cool thing to check out are the deluxe editions that they've been releasing recently. In fact, the 3-CD(!) deluxe version of Village Green has most of the Great Lost Kinks Album tracks. They also just released the deluxe version of Muswell Hillbillies in October.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:02:04 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »

What do you think about Everyone's In Show Biz? Is it worth getting if you already have Celluloid Heroes?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:14:04 PM by Gabo » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »

This might be a bit of a tangent, but I've only really found myself falling in love with Something Else and Village Green. I've also recently picked up Face to Face which is a good album as well. It's sort of a mix between their early rock material and their soon-to-be poppier work. It's definitely one you should pick up if you get the chance.

Yeah I've listened to that albums several times on Youtube. It's probably my second favorite after Village Green, but unfortunately es muy caro y raro en el EEUU.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:22:46 PM »

What do you think about Everyone's In Show Biz? Is it worth getting if you already have Celluloid Heroes?

I know you weren't asking me, but I'd say: absolutely yes!

Aside from Celluloid Heros: Here Comes Yet Another Day, Hot Potatos, Sitting In My Hotel, Supersonic Rocketship, Look A Little On The Sunnyside, You Don't Know My Name are all top flight Kinks with the rest at least passable..... The live album portion is a lot of fun and the stuff from Muswell Hllbillies, like Alcohol, Holiday,  surpass the album versions to my ears.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »

The greatest hits compilation? I suppose that depends on what you want.

The compilation seems a bit awkward because the albums it collects the songs from are concept albums, which don't really lend themselves to compilations. Also, a great deal of the songs come from Muswell Hillbillies, which, if you like country-tinged rock, is worth picking up itself.

So, if you're interested in full albums, I would recommend buying Everyone's in Show Biz to get the full 'concept.' Do some research if you're really curious, opinions seem ambivalent on the album. It does have an entire side of live music, though, so do with that what you will.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »

Yeah the live disc is a big reason I'm interested in it. It was really their last hurrah before the rock opera phase.

What about Lola? Some say it is a huge step down from Arthur,  but is it?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »

Yeah the live disc is a big reason I'm interested in it. It was really their last hurrah before the rock opera phase.

What about Lola? Some say it is a huge step down from Arthur,  but is it?

Hmmmm, I kinda see where they're coming from in as Lola feels a tad, oh, "classic rock" pub-band whereas Arthur was a grand statement, but the songs are tighter, shorter, and in some cases catchier than much of Arthur, and the thematic context is there if you search around a little. It's more than worth it for such awesome tracks like Lola, Apeman, This Time Tomorrow,  Get Back In Line, A Long Way From Home, but Dave's Strangers is a stone cold classic, and the band really cooks on things like "Powerman" .... All in all, it's hard not to love such great material played with such rawness and feel....

Give Preservation 1 a try as well. The rock opera thing has commenced but a few of the songs are as good as anything else they ever did...... Preservation 2 not so much, but it does have Mirror Of Love!!!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:29:41 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »

The compilation seems a bit awkward because the albums it collects the songs from are concept albums, which don't really lend themselves to compilations. Also, a great deal of the songs come from Muswell Hillbillies, which, if you like country-tinged rock, is worth picking up itself.

No the track. I did not not even know of that comp's existence before you mentioned it.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:30:32 PM »

Oh man! Kinks comps are a rabbit hole in and of themselves....
No the track. I did not not even know of that comp's existence before you mentioned it.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »

Well, I suppose if you dig "Celluloid Heroes," it couldn't hurt to hunt down the album it came from.

I haven't heard Lola myself, so I'll have to take Pinder's word for it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:22 PM »

Take my word for it too, Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround Pt 1 (to give it it's full title) is a very strong album. Much more straight ahead rock then the previous couple of albums, check out Ray slagging off his record label, his managers and his publishers. It's brutal and yet very funny. Also Dave contributes a couple of fantastic tracks.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 04:21:49 AM »

In Brief:

The first 2 albums are okay, but definitely a band developing their position [The Kinks/Kinda Kinks]

The 3rd album isn't necessarily as well formed as what came after it, but it is still a great album, just a same there isn't another track like Milk Cow Blues here [Kontroversy]

The 4th/5th/6th albums are stone cold classics without a shadow of a doubt. But as you've said you've explored these and can't grab Face To Face easily [Face To Face/Something Else/Village Green]

7th and 8th too some getting used to for me, but Arthur is now my favourite Kinks album, and Lola is great too, though Lola and Apeman don't seem to work here for me, but both albums too are Stone Cold Classics [Arthur/Lola]

9th is again strong, but a change of direction a bit. Need to be in the right mind frame for this, but still great [Muswell Hillbillies]

aaaaaaaand from there I'm not too familiar. Sleepwalker is great, and State of Confusion is pretty good too. Think Visual certainly wasn't bad, and neither was Give The People What They Want. I picked up a couple more of the LPs from this era recently but haven't 'got to know them yet', so give it time.

but yeah, anything from Kontroversy to Muswell Hillbillies will do you no wrong!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:38:07 AM »

My favourite Kinks period is Arthur through to Percy (not all the tracks but some). Lola is my favourite album. Definitely worth checking out but maybe not as a starting point.

Things get less interesting for me from Muswell Hillbillies onwards.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 06:21:07 AM »

Things get less interesting for me from Muswell Hillbillies onwards.
Misfits is in my opinion the best of the later ones - anyone noticed the siminlaity of the guitar line in R'n'R Fantasy and The Night Was So Young???

Watson, did you hear this?
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »

Can't disagree with much that's been said.  i'll just add my favorite "post-Klassic" ("Face to Face" to "Muswell Hillbillies") period LP is -- by far -- "Schoolboys in Disgrace."  Well written and played, hooky, tight.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »

Don't sell the albums short from 1977 to late 80"s.. Lotta good stuff on there.. What I would avoid would be the CONCEPT Lp"S  Preservation 1 Preservation 2 Soap opera and schoolboys in disgrace.. You have to be a die hard Kinks fan for those.. Think Smiley Smile + Love You on those..Theres a 2 cd Kinks Kronikles Compilation that's good ..  From 77 -87  I would recommend sleep walker..  misfits ..the live lp or dvd..  state of confusion .. low budget.. think visual..  The Kinks recorded till mid 90"s so theres more ..
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 01:00:50 AM »

Don't sell the albums short from 1977 to late 80"s.. Lotta good stuff on there.. What I would avoid would be the CONCEPT Lp"S  Preservation 1 Preservation 2 Soap opera and schoolboys in disgrace.. You have to be a die hard Kinks fan for those.. Think Smiley Smile + Love You on those..Theres a 2 cd Kinks Kronikles Compilation that's good ..  From 77 -87  I would recommend sleep walker..  misfits ..the live lp or dvd..  state of confusion .. low budget.. think visual..  The Kinks recorded till mid 90"s so theres more ..
I agree. I collected the Kinks for years, and the last things I added to my collection were the rock opera's. Preservation is an interesting concept, but very self indulgent, I think it would be hard for a Kinks newbie to get into that one. Soap Opera is possibly the weakest album in their catalog; Schoolboys is my favorite of the bunch, it's much more lively, almost power pop at times. I much prefer the Arista era Kinks, especially Misfits, State of Confusion and Word Of Mouth. And a Kinks album should always have 1 or 2 Dave songs - love his guitar playing, and that high, strangled whine of his.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »

I actually like the concept LP"s but  I wouldn't advise newbies toward them.. As you say the worst was Soap opera + best was Schoolboys.. Soap opera is almost UNLISTENABLE;; I had the pleasure of seeing The Kinks Do Preservation 1+2 in concert 73-74 At a small hall. AWESOME  !! Big fan of the KINKS  !
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

Schoolboys is great and I'd say Preservation Act ! is half terrific.  Never liked Soap Opera but saw them on that tour and the stage show was wonderful.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »

I think 'Preservation 1' is the absolute worst they did pre '77 (after and including Sleepwalker I totally lost interest so I wouldn't know). The bitter-sweet melody of Lady Genevive is the only thing I can bring myself to compliment on that record.

I dig some of 'Preservation 2', though. Introduction To Solution, When A Solution Comes and Mirror of Love are quite nice. Scum of the Earth is a guilty pleasure. And I realize I'm in minority when saying this, but the plot ain't that bad either. Simple and foreseeable -yes, but at least it gives a sense of coherence, as opposed to the randomness of Act 1, where characters keep coming in and going out without any purpose or reason.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:07:23 PM by Ovi » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »

Also, I love the band's 60's and early 70's albums, but let's not forget that the Kinks also put out some fantastic hit singles, some of which are not included on their contemporary albums. I mean, All Day and All of the Night, See My Friends, Well Respected Man, Follower of Fashion, Dead End Street, Mr. Pleasant, Days just off the top of my head - that's some of the greatest pop of the 60's imo. Let's not overlook that aspect of the band.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »

Hey, there's no accounting for taste right?  Personally, I say all of side one of Preservation Act I is great -- Morning Song, Daylight, Sweet Lady Genevieve of course, Where Are they Now, and One of the Survivors.  Really sets a mood and hits it dead on.  But even if you can't dig what's happening there, how can a Kinks fan not *love* Sitting in the Midday Sun on side 2?  Another  ignored Ray Davies gem to go with all the others.

Yes I said "side one" and "side two."

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »

Kink Kontroversy is the best of their early 'slap and dash' albums.  Follow this with Face To Face, Something Else, VGPS, Arthur, Money-Go-Round and Muswell Hillbillies - along with the fantastic Kink Kronikles compilation and you've got a a helluva string of albums.  Schoolboys In Disgrace is a favorite as well as the run of late '70's, early '80's "american" albums - Sleepwalker to State of Confusion (these are all really good).    i was sad that reunion tour of the four original Kinks never happened.   Sad
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx