gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:04:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Bad News  (Read 4843 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »

http://themusicuniverse.com/dennis-wilson-biopic-the-drummer-indefinitely-delayed/
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »

pulled out from being too exhausted from shooting
There's something that tells me Dennis is saying from his grave, "Yuk, yuk, yuk. What's wrong you can't keep up with me?" or something like that. LOL!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »

I actually had some somewhat high hopes for this. I know biopics are kind of hit and miss, but Aaron Eckhart seemed like a decent choice. The fact that he spent six months learning how to play piano and drums tells you that he was probably fairly dedicated to doing a good job.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »

Well, that defies physics, as this news both sucks AND blows.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »

Surely this is just overdue confirmation of what we all knew in our hearts - or have I missed something ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »

I was also hoping that this project might have been a good way to get some more unreleased tracks out to the public. Like maybe Taking Off, or even some of the POB tour rehearsal tapes out. I was never that overly excited for a Queen version of Holy Man though, to be honest.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »

Surely this is just overdue confirmation of what we all knew in our hearts - or have I missed something ?

I JUST now realized that this was the Dennis biopic (which I thought was already cancelled...) and not the BW biopic.

I'm going to go to bed now...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 11:58:24 PM »

I JUST now realized that this was the Dennis biopic (which I thought was already cancelled...) and not the BW biopic.

I'd like to think that if Love and Mercy performs respectfully at the box office, it will surely increase the odds of this pic getting back on track.
Not holding my breath though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »

From the very little I know about it, the movie would have been somewhat worse than An American Family, albeit for different reasons.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »

From the very little I know about it, the movie would have been somewhat worse than An American Family, albeit for different reasons.

I'm sure you can't spill all the beans about this, but I would love to hear more.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 05:25:02 AM »

I actually had some somewhat high hopes for this. I know biopics are kind of hit and miss, but Aaron Eckhart seemed like a decent choice. The fact that he spent six months learning how to play piano and drums tells you that he was probably fairly dedicated to doing a good job.
It seemed a little over-the-top to be doing two Wilson brothers movies in one year.  A movie about Dennis this year might have been appropriate with the 30th anniversary of Dennis' passing.  And, there is such a thing as "oversaturation" of the market.  But, Dennis is interesting for his sort of self-made entrance into the composition and acting sphere.  

If Aaron invested that time, acquiring a skill set to add authenticity, at least to his component, notwithstanding other issues, it is regrettable that this isn't going to happen, because it shows committment.  Perhaps it will take some other form, in the future.  Dennis seemed to have so many other interests apart from the BB's, although he "ruled that stage" when he got out front.  

Dennis is interesting for reasons, different from Brian, and had a different kind of charisma, larger-than-life.   Wink

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:25:53 AM by filledeplage » Logged
RioGrande
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 06:41:21 AM »

Good news for me. Biopics about musicians are always disasters. I'd hope for Brian's one floundering too, but it seems to be running smoothly, dammit.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:29 AM »

Huh. And waking up to see this, it's NOT news. This was canceled WAY back in JUNE 2012 ( a year and a half back); it's only their PR machine that's creaking in now...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 07:20:18 AM »

Geez Josh, you scared me with that title!  I honestly forgot this project even existed.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 07:30:39 AM »

Huh. And waking up to see this, it's NOT news. This was canceled WAY back in JUNE 2012 ( a year and a half back); it's only their PR machine that's creaking in now...
That's right. It was reported on this board way back in summer 2012 that Eckhart had pulled out and the project was belly up. This is just window dressing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »

Main reason I'm bummed is that I'm sure a soundtrack or companion music release would featured a great deal of previously unreleased Denny material. Especially '77 to '83 stuff, which apparently DOES exist more plentifully than we originally thought.

Classic cryptic garbage. Tell us why if you're so sure of this. It's not like you're protecting any special info, the film ain't happening.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »

'The script is said to be focused on Wilson’s later years, from 1977 until his untimely death in 1983 when he drowned in Marina del Rey, California, during an afternoon of drinking and diving.'

I'm pleased its canned for the above alone. A pretty grim period for the Beach Boys and Dennis of course.

It would have clashed with the rise/ fall and rise that will be the Brian bio.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »

Let's no lie, this is a good thing.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/why-dennis-wilsons-biopic-collapsed-20131212

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »

Worse than American Family? So it's Summer Dreams quality or worse?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »

It seemed a little over-the-top to be doing two Wilson brothers movies in one year.  A movie about Dennis this year might have been appropriate with the 30th anniversary of Dennis' passing.  And, there is such a thing as "oversaturation" of the market.  But, Dennis is interesting for his sort of self-made entrance into the composition and acting sphere.  

If Aaron invested that time, acquiring a skill set to add authenticity, at least to his component, notwithstanding other issues, it is regrettable that this isn't going to happen, because it shows committment.  Perhaps it will take some other form, in the future.  Dennis seemed to have so many other interests apart from the BB's, although he "ruled that stage" when he got out front.  

Dennis is interesting for reasons, different from Brian, and had a different kind of charisma, larger-than-life.   Wink

I think it's unlikely that either one of these movies would ever be brought to wide release. Even the BW pic would be a hard sell. The producers would have to generate some really strong buzz at film festivals for the movie to have at any chance at all. Most likely we'll just see it show up on Netflix or Redbox one fine day. Just trying to be realistic, not negative.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »

Nah. BW bio will play the indie circuit at the very least. Beyond that, we'll see ...
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »

Nah. BW bio will play the indie circuit at the very least. Beyond that, we'll see ...

There are some talented people who have name value and industry clout involved with the Brian movie. It is NOT going to be an el cheapo straight to DVD release.

The Dennis film fizzled out because the star pulled out plus one of the reports claims that The Dennis estate got cold feet and likewise pulled out.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »

Classic cryptic garbage. Tell us why if you're so sure of this. It's not like you're protecting any special info, the film ain't happening.

http://www.avclub.com/article/beach-boys-biopic-the-drummer-is-off-106488?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

'The current version basically avoids all of Wilson’s problems with alcohol and drug addiction, as well as his relationship with Charles Manson, prior to his drowning in 1983, after an afternoon of drinking. But even with those revisions, the family trust says it’s no longer interested in proceeding with The Drummer.'

Yeah, super secret knowledge.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »

Really bad writing there: someone might read that and take away the impression that Dennis drowned after spending an afternoon hitting the bottle with his old bud Charlie.  Grin

And, er, yeah - that the family wanted pretty much all references to CM, booze and drugs (and excessive womanizing) expunged has been common knowledge (at least amongst the likes of us posting here: the BB geeks and uber fans) for almost as long as the project has existed.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx