gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:03:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Beat 1963  (Read 109234 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 20, 2013, 05:59:44 AM »

This IS a great thread and it reminds me why this board can be so good. It's nice to read a thread where someone isn't having a pop at Mike or Brian or where someone is using something said in error or haste - or error of judgement - to jump all over another poster (and then back it up with asshat emails...). 

Special tip of the hat to Mikie too!
Thanks for saying that.  May the holiday spirit bring peace.
This thread is indeed special.  It reminds me of when The Beatles brought in Billy Preston. 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: December 20, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »

This is indeed a Thread above threads. This is how SS used to be before people decided it'd be fun to derail such topics with personal agendas bolstered by inadequate knowledge. And...

Just think of the threads once Jim's book is published: just... think... !!!  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

I was gonna say that this thread shows me how utterly irrelevant my fandom has been...

That said, is anyone actually interested in talking about the music on this thing? Or is it all old hat?

I haven't had a chance to listen to it much but I've liked what I've heard so far. I'm grateful for those who shared their collections and worked to make it happen.

Watch out for snakes!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »

No-one's fandom is ever irrelevant. It matters to you, and that's the main thing.

The music. Excellent point, which seems to have fallen by the wayside: what's your view ?

petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 20, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »

Funny Boy-sure sounds like it could have been a hit-I love the gritty vocal
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 20, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »

I've only had a chance to listen to the first half or so... The standout so far is the Gonna Hustle You demo... Are there any credits for that one? Did Jan Berry have a hand in it?

The I Do demo is also a cut above, thanks to the vocal arrangement compared to the others.

I like hearing the progression in Brian's backing track production/arrangement as well.

Watch out for snakes!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: December 20, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »

Well, the credit on TBB appears to be Wilson/Norberg, while the credit on the J&D version is Berry/Wilson. Just to confuse things neatly, the credit for "New Girl In School" is Berry/Wilson/Christian/Norman.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »

"Norman" in the credits = Bob Norman = Robert Burton Norberg (Bob Norberg) of "Bob & Sheri" and "Survivors" fame. Also had a hand in writing "Keep an Eye On Summer" with Brian.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:45:25 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: December 20, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »

Gonna Hustle You is my favorite too I think  Grin

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 20, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »

I'd love to hear more demos of the BW Jan & Dean songs! (well, any demos, really...)

Watch out for snakes!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »

Have had a short amount of time to listen to the set now and it's utterly fascinating. That trademark BW boogie piano stands out on some tracks; but what a huge leap BW made in what must have been just a few months, in terms of developing ability. Enjoying spotting recycled riffs all over the place (to be more accurate, riffs that would be recycled over the coming decade…). The Honeys material is quite splendid… I've missed out on one or two Honeys collections down the years so the overall impact of this feels fresh - gimme more!

Some of these tracks would be great fun to hear a modern day BW tackle with his current band, a al Gershwin album but such a different style though equally monumental.

“We live in divisive times.”
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 21, 2013, 02:08:32 AM »

I ask again - does ANYONE know how to get this thing OUTSIDE of the US? All of the links shared so far are to US-based on-line retailers who will sell you and ship *physical* product to addresses outside the US, but not downloads.

It's driving me crazy - any Google search I do takes me back to a US retailer, who won't sell me the stuff as I'm in the UK.

WHO WANTS MY MONEY AND HOW DO I GIVE IT TO THEM?Huh?

My thoughts exactly.

Have had a short amount of time to listen to the set now

How? How? How? How? HOW?

Please delete my account
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: December 21, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »

Haven't been here in a loooong while. What's the etiquette in sharing Dropbox links? Is it frowned upon? Is it applauded?

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 21, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

Haven't been here in a loooong while. What's the etiquette in sharing Dropbox links? Is it frowned upon? Is it applauded?

If it involves sharing music, it's definitely frowned on and can (will?) result in banning. If t's sharing written documents/info, maybe okay.

As has been written here before on various threads, powers-that-be with BRI/Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, and other parties read these message boards. So, if anything is even borderline piracy-related, it could result in some type of action taken against the posters and/or the board itself.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:17:33 PM by KittyKat » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 21, 2013, 04:18:57 PM »

If some fellow European wants to PM me to complain about the unavailability of this collection I will reply to the message.

Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »

If it involves sharing music, it's definitely frowned on and can (will?) result in banning. If t's sharing written documents/info, maybe okay.

As has been written here before on various threads, powers-that-be with BRI/Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, and other parties read these message boards. So, if anything is even borderline piracy-related, it could result in some type of action taken against the posters and/or the board itself.

Which is why I asked the question. Thanks for the clarification.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 21, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »

So the collection released to meet EU copyright requirements is not available in the EU?  I admit I don't get it.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 21, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »

Love Funny Boy. The line about "statistic number 129" is a favorite line of mine, now...what does it mean (if anything)?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 21, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »

I was gonna say that this thread shows me how utterly irrelevant my fandom has been...
I was kind of thinking the same thing. The vast majority of the material on TSS was new to me. It felt a little strange having something like that basically handed to me, when some people have been around for the whole 40 year Smile saga.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: December 21, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »

Fandom isn't quantitative. Dude A isn't a bigger fan than Dude B just because he's got more albums. Some fans know, and have retained, more than others, is all. Does that make one iota of difference to how good the music is, or how one appreciates it ? I don't think so... and oh how I wished I came to The Smile Sessions totally clean. I envy the fans of today hearing all this stuff for the very first time, more than you can possibly imagine...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 21, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »

I think a similar experience happened between myself and our friend and mod, Billy, as he was a budding "hardcore" Beatles fan. It was really cool to hear(er, read) his surprise at some of the circulating bootleg recordings, that I had already heard and collected years ago.

On a side note, it was awesome to hear Mike alternating with Brian on some verses of H&V, from TSS. A bit jarring though.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: December 22, 2013, 03:49:28 AM »

She confirmed, allaying the doubt in my cynical ears, that it is indeed Bob Norberg singing on "The Big Beat" and "Ride Away."  Although she did point out, as she did in Lee's interview, I believe, that Brian often sang along with them, sometimes singing a guide vocal softly in their ears.  So, I wonder if Brian doubles Bob to some extent on "Ride Away?"  

Reminds me of the interview Brad Elliot did with Rich Alarian/Petersen that was published in the summer 1983 Add Some Music where Alarian claimed that it was him singing lead on" Pamela Jean" with Brian singing in his ear... a claim proven to be entirely false when the session tapes for said song turned up on SOT UM Vol. 4 and it was clear that not only was it Brian singing the lead, but that he was also pretty unimpressed with the way the other (Alarian included) were handling the bvs.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »

I think a similar experience happened between myself and our friend and mod, Billy, as he was a budding "hardcore" Beatles fan. It was really cool to hear(er, read) his surprise at some of the circulating bootleg recordings, that I had already heard and collected years ago.

On a side note, it was awesome to hear Mike alternating with Brian on some verses of H&V, from TSS. A bit jarring though.  Grin
Billy's summer romp The Beatles *sigh* was one of the very best threads this year.  Really fun, you could feel the excitement growing as he went from album to album.  Lots of great posters guiding him.  It was a blast.  It also helped to have a different place to go while the board was going fever pitch waiting for MIC.  There's already a thread for "best threads" - that and this one are sure to be mentioned there in the future.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: December 22, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »

and oh how I wished I came to The Smile Sessions totally clean. I envy the fans of today hearing all this stuff for the very first time, more than you can possibly imagine...

Well, when TSS came out, I celebrated by listening to vinyl Today!, Summer Days, and Pet Sounds all through before putting on TSS vinyl - that actually was like listening with fresh ears. If you have time, try it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: December 22, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »

Billy's summer romp The Beatles *sigh* was one of the very best threads this year.  Really fun, you could feel the excitement growing as he went from album to album.  Lots of great posters guiding him.  It was a blast.  It also helped to have a different place to go while the board was going fever pitch waiting for MIC.  There's already a thread for "best threads" - that and this one are sure to be mentioned there in the future.
It was a blast for me too Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx