gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:33:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Beat 1963  (Read 109231 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »

A question for the legal-eagles out there. Why does EU copyright law drive the issue for releases of material recorded in a non-EU country? Does it have anything to do with multinational ownership of record companies nowadays?

This may not be directly related, but since last year, Spotify has been infested with roughly one bajillion different versions of Surfin' Safari, sailing under one bajillion different names, mostly featuring the words "surf'", "surfin'", "beach", "hits" and "best". In fact, I believe I really did see an album called The Beach Boys Best Surf, Surfin' & Beach Hits.

And the worst of it is... someone, somewhere is collecting and cataloging them all.  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

I don't mind it being download-only....but why no lossless?!??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 02:42:59 PM »

Had a similar thought when MiC came out without a lot of the earlier stuff that's been circulating in recent years, and speculate that it's simply because in a lot of cases the original source material isn't available to get such high quality copies that it'd be worth the while.  Until the original tapes surface, it's probably transfers from vinyl or acetates or even second/third/later generation cassettes. Might be that the MP3 format serves the material most efficiently.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »

Looks cool! I haven't heard that stuff so I welcome its release.

Watch out for snakes!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »

You know, I've only seen/heard "Little Dirt Bike" on one Honeys comp (bootleg) through the years. It's probably not up to the standards of the songs on this particular release, and there are are a couple more that slip my mind now that have never seen the light of day; only in printed text.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »

Track listing for the Beach Boys Collectors Series Volume 2 - The Honeys: The Definite Album

Shoot The Curl
Surfin' Down The Swanee River
Pray For Surf
Hide Go Seek
Three Surfer Boys*
From Jimmy With Tears
Once You've Got Him + [1]
Little Dirt Bike+
The One You Can't Have
He's A Doll
The Love Of A Boy And Girl
For Always And Ever+ [2]
Darlin' I'm Not Steppin' Out On You+ [3]
When I Think About You+ [3]
Goodnight My Love
Tonight You Belong To Me

* - Gary Usher & The Usherettes (guess who ?)
  + - demos, all written by Ginger & Diane
[1] - demo for Hayley Mills
[2] - demo for The Paris Sisters
[3] - very much in the country style

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »

Yep. That's the only one where "Little Dirt Bike" has seen the light of day. Actually, it was overcast.  Came with a poster and button, and if you're not careful, that loose button could slide around and damage the contents of the box.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »

Brother Mikie!  Merry Christmas.   Got some time between shopping and making candles...
My old Honeys box says "The Definite Album Vol. III"
I just dragged it out of a closet.  Inside it's got an acetate of "Darlin I'm Not Steppin Out on You."
Sheesh.  Forgot all about this stuff.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »

Yep. That's the only one where "Little Dirt Bike" has seen the light of day. Actually, it was overcast.  Came with a poster and button, and if you're not careful, that loose button could slide around and damage the contents of the box.

And random buyers got extra protection! But not me...
All the original sets were numbered, mine is #69. You still have the plastic sleeve with the number Mikie?   
and some people also bought acetates as with mine, or D's:

Brother Mikie!  Merry Christmas.   Got some time between shopping and making candles...
My old Honeys box says "The Definite Album Vol. III"
I just dragged it out of a closet.  Inside it's got an acetate of "Darlin I'm Not Steppin Out on You."
Sheesh.  Forgot all about this stuff.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »

Hey Big Don, what it is, funky dude?  Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Yes! *Sound of a buzzer* You caught AGD with an incorrect factoid! It's "Beach Boys Collector's Series Vol. III The Honeys: The Definitive Album"
Mine didn't come with an acetate though, darn it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:21:32 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »

Bgas, yes mine is numbered. Original condition as received by Mr. Bill.

D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »

Mine is numbered 110 (of 150?).  Guess I really didn't rate that highly.

My acetate didn't come with the box.  I must have thrown it in there later.

By the way, the original outer plastic sleeve has a decal that says "Series Vol. II"
So, yikes, someone wasn't careful. The album label says "mfd. in Paraguay".
I wonder what those Paraguay guys are up to today.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »

Hi Don!   Hello
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

Mine is numbered 110 (of 150?).  Guess I really didn't rate that highly.

My acetate didn't come with the box.  I must have thrown it in there later.

By the way, the original outer plastic sleeve has a decal that says "Series Vol. II"
So, yikes, someone wasn't careful. The album label says "mfd. in Paraguay".
I wonder what those Paraguay guys are up to today.

Rated higher? Maybe just faster buying...
Like me, you must have  bought the acetate at close to the same time as the box,  and stored it there when you got it.  Most likely even shipped to you in the box!
From the same supplier, don't think anyone else had them. Miss him, for sure.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:06:46 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »

song list updated and finalized…

clearer than Amazon.com

http://www.examiner.com/article/brian-wilson-s-the-big-beat-1963
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »

Had a similar thought when MiC came out without a lot of the earlier stuff that's been circulating in recent years, and speculate that it's simply because in a lot of cases the original source material isn't available to get such high quality copies that it'd be worth the while.  Until the original tapes surface, it's probably transfers from vinyl or acetates or even second/third/later generation cassettes. Might be that the MP3 format serves the material most efficiently.

I would hazard (guess/stab in the dark) the mp3 distro is a vendor (Apple/Amazon) standard/requirement rather than about the source material.

Based on Mark L's standard approach, I would guess He and Alan B transfered/mastered this collection at 24 bit/88.2khz;
and then prep'd 16 bit/44.1khz (CD standard).

Either in loseless would be great - having said that I think John is right to say it may not be a huge issue given the source material.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:03:58 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »

Shall we agree on on "Volume 2.5" ?  Grin

Or maybe not:

1 - Bob & Sheri 45 repro (edition of 1000, numbered)
2 - Honeys box (150, numbered)
3 - Hawthorne Hot Shots 2EP set (500, numbered by hand)
4 - Smile front cover
5 - Smile back cover (200, numbered by hand)
6 - Borscht Boys EP (500, numbered, unreleased)

Honeys album may say "Volume III" on the box, but it's Vol. 2 of the series. Like I said.  Smiley

BTW, as Don accurately states, the correct title for the album is The Honeys: The Definite Album Vol. III - not "definitive". Thus:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:02:06 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 02:38:08 AM »

Just noted that the Big Beat on amazon .com will have metadata identifiers (or whatever they're called!):

"Record Company Required Metadata: Music file metadata contains unique purchase identifier."

So no sharing, kids!

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »

Just noted that the Big Beat on amazon .com will have metadata identifiers (or whatever they're called!):

"Record Company Required Metadata: Music file metadata contains unique purchase identifier."

So no sharing, kids!

Converts file. Destroys identifier.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 05:54:36 AM »

Hi Lee!  And AGD! That new disc looks to be fabulous. Love that track, Bobby Left Me.
I wish the young ones here could feel the mystery and excitement that permeated the
early days of collecting.  Communication and sharing were positively 19th century.  Dudes
on the West Coast had a leg-up.  And so much was unknown.  Great days in the 1970s.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 07:11:01 AM »

Hi Lee!  And AGD! That new disc looks to be fabulous. Love that track, Bobby Left Me.
I wish the young ones here could feel the mystery and excitement that permeated the
early days of collecting.  Communication and sharing were positively 19th century.  Dudes
on the West Coast had a leg-up.  And so much was unknown.  Great days in the 1970s.

Gosh I wish it was a "disc."  There will not be a physical release -- just download.  Although certain individuals are lobbying for a "Record Store Day" type limited vinyl release at some point...

Lee
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 08:48:42 AM »

When I read about THE BIG BEAT news yesterday, well, that just about made my whole month.  That is just fantastic news. A big THANKS to Alan Boyd, Mark Linett, Lee Dempsey, David Beard, and Vickie Hale.  And those Hawthorne Hotshots.

I'm wondering how much, if any, input was received from Brian for the credits with these tracks. Or was most of it, if not all, gleamed from tape boxes in the vaults, acetates, etc. And more importantly does it all supplant what had been formerly thought (i.e., the SOT series).  For instance,

1. THE BIG BEAT -- I don't have clear idea of what Bob Norberg's voice sounds like, so I guess this is indeed him and Sheri. Is Brian doubling Bob's lead vocal? ["Uncle Remus, Aunt Jemina had a corn bread (great?) timer . . . Surely, a different era. But not to be be outdone by the Italian slurs leading into "Pamela Jean"]. Any idea of who says, "We're running out of time again" on the master?

2.  RIDE AWAY -- Is that really Bob (Norberg) and Sheri (Cheryl Pomeroy) singing?  The male vocal always sounded like Brian to my ears.  And, is the female vocal indeed the elusive Ms. Pomeroy?

3.  MARIE -- I can buy the Honeys on background vocals, but what is Bob Norberg's involvement?  I he the male voice in the background vocals (the "babba, bab, ba")?

4. MOTHER MAY I -- Is this indeed a Beach  Boys' track, perhaps intended, but rejected for Surfin' U.S.A., Surfer Girl or Little Deuce Coupe?  And, really, what was he thinkin' with that voice on the chorus? An eleven-year foreshadowing of "Child Of Winter."

5. I'LL NEVER LOVE AGAIN (aka, IF IT CAN'T BE YOU) -- I listed them in that order since that is how the engineer identified it on SOT. So, is Larry Denton out and Gary Usher in?  I have no idea what Larry Denton sounded like or, for that matter, who he is except "a friend of Brian's." And I didn't think Gary Usher had this good of a voice.  So, I'm having trouble believing this is Usher, but would welcome being proved wrong.

6. THANK HIM -- I was under the impression this was a Brian and Bob Norberg collaboration, and was surprised to read it was all Brian. But I can buy that. Rich Peterson (Alarian) of the Survivors mentions it in Brad Elliott's excellent interview in Don Cunningham's seminal fanzine Add Some Music (summer 1983 Vol 6, No. 2), so it probably dates from summer/fall 1963.

Does anyone have any ideas on where and when these were recorded? And who were the musicians? Any of the Boys? For instance, is that Steve Douglas on sax on RIDE AWAY and who plays that smoking lead guitar solo on THE BIG BEAT?

Great stuff.  Thanks again to all involved.   

In addition to wishing there was a vinyl 45 rpm ("The Big Beat" b/w "Ride Away," Safari 102) with picture sleeve, of course . . . I only wish Derek Bill, Les Chan, and Gary Johnson (Rockaway Records) were here to enjoy this release. Maybe somewhere, in their own space and time, they'll be diggin' it, too, on December 17. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »

Shall we agree on on "Volume 2.5" ?  Grin

Or maybe not:

1 - Bob & Sheri 45 repro (edition of 1000, numbered)
2 - Honeys box (150, numbered)
3 - Hawthorne Hot Shots 2EP set (500, numbered by hand)
4 - Smile front cover
5 - Smile back cover (200, numbered by hand)
6 - Borscht Boys EP (500, numbered, unreleased)

Honeys album may say "Volume III" on the box, but it's Vol. 2 of the series. Like I said.  Smiley

BTW, as Don accurately states, the correct title for the album is The Honeys: The Definite Album Vol. III - not "definitive". Thus:

That's what I get for posting from work and going from memory. I referred to The BootlegZone, who has it wrong (confusing) My copy is in storage, so what better evidence is an actual scan of the box? Sorry boys.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »

Gosh I wish it was a "disc."  There will not be a physical release -- just download.  Although certain individuals are lobbying for a "Record Store Day" type limited vinyl release at some point...

Lee

So there will be mp3 files to download, right? And those can be popped on a disc and make your own CD sleeve(s) and you're dancin'.

Right?

D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

Jim Murphy... you brought a tear to my eyes.  Those good guys who are gone...  Plus Bob H.

Coming back to me now...Seems that great Brad E. Survivors interview should have been in the book.
But the Brad E. items were stepped around.  He might have been planning something of his own.
I don't really recall.

When you mention a voice sounding like Brian...it makes me think of the old debate with the
song Twelve-o-Four, which sure as hell sounds like Brian. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx