gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:54:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Beat 1963  (Read 109219 times)
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:43:14 AM »

New digital release.
http://www.examiner.com/article/brian-wilson-s-the-big-beat-1963

In Music,
David
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:07:39 AM »

Fascinating notion, and an excellent collection - looking forward to it..

However, is there any documentary proof that Brian had anything to do with the five Honeys demos ? It's 35 years ago now, but I recall that when they were included in a Derek Bill Honeys boot box set, they were said to be done by the girls as publishing demos, and had no BW involvement whatsoever. Not convinced about "Make The Night..." either - doesn't sound much like a BW '63 effort. More like... Murry, if anything.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:29:42 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:11:59 AM »

Still, quite a collection…

The Capitol guys couldn't do worse than look to some of the threads here for liner note inspiration. Surely it can't be coincidence that some of this material is being discussed right now on this very board!?!?!

If AGD's concerns stand up, how about substituting the errant tracks with BW-related tunes form that era, and putting the others on to a bonus "CD" fleshed out with even more goodies… oh, and some bonus tracks… oh and some hidden tracks… and some Easter egg tracks… and… and …

Many thanks for the news David, and thanks to Lee, Mark, Alan and all for this Christmas treat!

Assume this is being released via Beach Boy Central…?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:19:20 AM »

Bear in mind I'm going on 35-year old memories and that archival research has come on leaps and bounds since then... but those demos sound more like Usher than BW. Be thrilled to be proven wrong - the world needs more BW productions from the early 60s !  Grin

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:49:19 AM »

Wow, just a week from now. Color me excited!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 04:12:46 AM »

I'm waiting for the first whine of "I wannit on VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!" (SFX of pouting and stamping feet).  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 04:21:04 AM »

Mea very much culpa. Just read the text with m'specs on and unless I'm very much mistaken - or unless EU copyright law is changed - it looks like we can expect something like this every December to come for... well, a while. Color me a happy camper.  Grin

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »

I'm waiting for the first whine of "I wannit on VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!" (SFX of pouting and stamping feet).  Grin

Well... I do. I'd at least like a CD. But I'd rather it than nothing. Be nice if it was on Amazon MP3 though, I avoid iTunes.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:39:05 AM »

VERY Cool, Thanxx Dave! 

Wish I owned more than one of the acetates mentioned.  ( 22-WHEN I THINK ABOUT YOU (Honeys demo)  )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 05:53:22 AM »

It was time to let the cat out of the bag!   Wink 2   Jennifer Ballantyne at Capitol gave Dave the go-ahead to announce it.  Especially since Apple/Capitol just announced the digital release of THE BEATLES - THE BOOTLEG RECORDINGS 1963 for the same day (17 December), for the same reason.

And Andrew is correct -- the common denominator here is 1963.  That's why you don't see the 1962  tracks like "Beginning of the End" or "Visions."  And unfortunately you can't expect a lot of unheard tracks such as Bob Norberg's "apartment demos" -- since he's never made a copy for ANYONE, they're not in danger of falling into the public domain.

Expect a little better sound quality than the boots on most tracks -- but in some cases it was imperative just to use SOME source before the end of the year, so that the copyright could be extended, so some tracks were sourced from collector's cassettes.  But the good side of a digital release is that the source file can be updated if a better source becomes available.

Lee
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:39:52 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 06:06:11 AM »

I love this idea! And I'm looking forward to hear an early "You brought it all on yourself" (or something like that). The Honeys cut it on their 80s album Ecstasy.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »

However, is there any documentary proof that Brian had anything to do with the five Honeys demos ? It's 35 years ago now, but I recall that when they were included in a Derek Bill Honeys boot box set, they were said to be done by the girls as publishing demos, and had no BW involvement whatsoever. Not convinced about "Make The Night..." either - doesn't sound much like a BW '63 effort. More like... Murry, if anything.

I believe "Make the Night" is a Nik Venet production -- like "From Jimmy with Tears."  That's my fault, as I helped Dave with that paragraph, and I should have written it "Beach Boys- and Brian Wilson-related..."

BTW, the arrangement of "Make the Night" owes a lot to this version by The Palisades: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU8TR-08yyU

Lee
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:57:19 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 07:50:14 AM »

I believe "Make the Night" is a Nik Venet production -- like "From Jimmy with Tears."  That's my fault, as I helped Dave with that paragraph, and I should have written it "Beach Boys- and Brian Wilson-related..."

Lee

have Dave go back and change it?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »

This is very exciting news. Really thrilled that something like this was even considered and is now actually being released.

Maybe change the title of this thread though to mention something about it being a new BW digital release? I almost didn't click on it. 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »

Well... I do. I'd at least like a CD. But I'd rather it than nothing. Be nice if it was on Amazon MP3 though, I avoid iTunes.

It is there.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »

"CEO Lee Dempsey". I didn't know he was a CEO.  That must take a lot of his time.  No wonder he doesn't post on the board much......

I remember seeing this kind of release on Derek Bill's or Peter Reum's lists directed at collectors.  This time, a legit Brian Wilson Productions comp with emphasis on rare '63 stuff essential to fans and collectors alike. Gotta gettit! 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »

It is there.

Thanks for the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H4R77YY/ref=sr_1_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00H4R7JQA&qid=1386780959&sr=1-1[/url]
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »

"CEO Lee Dempsey". I didn't know he was a CEO.  That must take a lot of his time.  No wonder he doesn't post on the board much......

LOL - The benefit of being the co-owner of a small business (Dave and I had to incorporate ESQ for legal reasons, to protect us from any potential libel issues) is you can declare your title to be anything! Smiley

Heck, I could appoint Will Brison as Secretary of the Corporation...

Lee
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:05:57 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »

Excellent news! Time to go add some more credit to iTunes. Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »

I believe "Make the Night" is a Nik Venet production -- like "From Jimmy with Tears."  That's my fault, as I helped Dave with that paragraph, and I should have written it "Beach Boys- and Brian Wilson-related..."

BTW, the arrangement of "Make the Night" owes a lot to this version by The Palisades: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU8TR-08yyU

Lee

Thanks Lee. I asked a few other folk, and the overall concensus is that those last five demos are not BW productions. No huge matter, and good to have this unexpected little gem pop up.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

Yep I agree.  I think the description of "Brian Wilson-related" is a more accurate one -- as The Honeys are his, um, relations (or at least as of 1963, relations to-be).  Expect to see a change in the Examiner article if/when Dave can make the change.

The reality is that these non-Brian Honeys tracks needed EU copyright protection just like the true Beach Boys tracks, and there wasn't any way that Capitol was going to do a separate Honeys release, so it was prudent to slip these in.

Lee
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:28:45 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »

Well at least those complaining that MIC should have Thank Him can be happy.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 11:19:58 AM »

made the change

In Music,
David
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

A question for the legal-eagles out there. Why does EU copyright law drive the issue for releases of material recorded in a non-EU country? Does it have anything to do with multinational ownership of record companies nowadays?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »

A question for the legal-eagles out there. Why does EU copyright law drive the issue for releases of material recorded in a non-EU country? Does it have anything to do with multinational ownership of record companies nowadays?

Goo question. I wondered whether it's more to do with the fear that something released legitimately in Europe will, in this digitrl age, be impossible to prevent being imported to the US in bulk.

Any sign of this getting an EU release though? Not on amazon UK so far…  Now that would really be unusual, given the circumstances driving the release.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx