gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:01:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Beat 1963  (Read 109799 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 23, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »

Long story short, there's an acetate of alternate versions of "Lana" & "Farmer's Daughter" credited to "Johnny Dew" seemingly recorded 1/16/63 and according to 'manager' Shane Wilder in New York at Fine Studio while the band were on tour. Small problem - the band weren't on tour anywhere in January 1963 and wouldn't hit NYC until very late August. Nik Venet implies the tracks were recorded in LA, possibly at the Tower: maybe yes, maybe no, but the simple fact he knew anything about it strongly argues against a session in NYC (aside from the fact they weren't there anyway).

AGD - do we know anything more about these acetate alternate versions of "Lana" & "Farmer's Daughter"? Are they just different vocal takes, or actually completely different demo versions?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »

Hang on, I'll get it out and give it a spin: it's been a while.

OK, tracks seem to be basic, that is lacking a few overdubs - or maybe just a rough mix - and the vocals seem slightly different too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »

Hang on, I'll get it out and give it a spin: it's been a while.

OK, tracks seem to be basic, that is lacking a few overdubs - or maybe just a rough mix - and the vocals seem slightly different too.

That's a relief! As much that I don't have to play it again, as actually checking the sound with MY hearing.
Do you have good pics of the labels, that could be compared to its existing condition, so I can tell if they are discoloring/deteriorating? (I can post current if that makes it easier)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #303 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »

Is there a link where I can download 'The Big Beat 1963'? I can't find anything online (I'm in the UK). Thanks.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 23, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »

I've been devouring this set, and it's really quite amazing.

What do y'all make of "Mother May I"? Such a bizarre tune. When it starts out, you think "wow, what a great, young BW vocal", only to quickly have that thought change to a gigantic "WTF" on the choruses!

This and "Punchline" have to be 2 of the weirdest songs from that era.

Minus the grating proto-Child of Winter vocals, it's a really solid little early BB tune. I have to think that the sole reason this song was completely unreleased in any form for so many years has to be that the band was simply completely embarrassed by it. I would think that possibly, that embarrassment would also be the reason it took so many years for the alternate "Meant For You" released, since the extended version's lyrics about ponies and puppies could be considered pretty damn embarrassing (I can dig 'em, but it may take a superfan to "understand"). Maybe at this point, so late in the game of the band's career, it's less of an issue for the more potentially embarrassing material to finally see the light of day, if there's money to be made.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 23, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »

What do y'all make of "Mother May I"? Such a bizarre tune. When it starts out, you think "wow, what a great, young BW vocal", only to quickly have that thought change to a gigantic "WTF" on the choruses!

Minus the grating proto-Child of Winter vocals, it's a really solid little early BB tune. I have to think that the sole reason this song was completely unreleased in any form for so many years has to be that the band was simply completely embarrassed by it. I would think that possibly, that embarrassment would also be the reason it took so many years for the alternate "Meant For You" released, since the extended version's lyrics about ponies and puppies could be considered pretty damn embarrassing (I can dig 'em, but it may take a superfan to "understand"). Maybe at this point, so late in the game of the band's career, it's less of an issue for the more potentially embarrassing material to finally see the light of day, if there's money to be made.

That, or they largely used the melody for Our Car Club

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »

bgas - True dat, I had never realized that "Our Car Club" connection until you pointed it out. It makes perfect sense to me that this tune wasn't released as a proper album track for a multitude of reasons... but I'd think that a fully-formed and properly realized outtake from this era, such as this tune, would've seen the light of day on some compilation or as a 2-fer bonus track, if not for the fact that the band must've seen it as really bottom-of-the-barrel embarrassing. I guess it still has the "merit" of releasability though for the BBs to have officially let it be released, since there are good portions of the song that are unquestionably awesome Smiley This song seeing proper release gives me hope that some outtakes from the 70s (with Brian not exactly in top form), will be cleaned up and released at *some* point.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »

I thought of a different song when I first heard "Mother May I" -- "Beach Girl" by the Nodaens (aka Dave Nowlen -- of The Survivors).  Nowlen said he nicked the melody of "Beach Girl" from the unreleased (and unheard) BW tune "A Joy Ride Cruise."

Lee
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:56:38 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: December 24, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »

"Hide Go Seek".

petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 26, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »

Is it just me or  does anyone else hear Jan and Dean on backing vocals on Gonna Hustle You ? I swear I hear Jan at least-any ideas ?
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »

Yes Jan can be heard sing background vocals with Brian. If no one believes me turn up the fade and you can for a split second hear, Jans vocal.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 04, 2014, 03:40:03 AM »

Don't suppose anyone has found out any way to get/hear this in the UK yet.

Also I'm surprised how quickly this thread got left behind, surely this is a pretty significant collection?

Please delete my account
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #312 on: January 04, 2014, 05:26:09 AM »

Crazy isn't it?  Fans in Europe who wanted to shell out for this collection and were forced to rely on illegal downloads. Great move by the record company. In the UK alone, at, say Ł8.99 a throw, how could they have lost when it's a digital download? And they say bootleggers are harming profits?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 04, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »

I'm in he UK and buy everything they release (several times over) and yet I can't get this. Gutted! Angry
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2014, 06:06:32 AM »

Just downloaded this (in Finland, got it from iTunes) and while there's nothing here that blows my mind (well, Mother May I comes close), this is definitely a most interesting listen. Should we have a topic for this at the review section, I'd say this counts as an album?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 15, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »

Finally got my dirty slow-ass hands on this gear (although iTunes Oz must take some of the tardiness blame).

Wow! What a whole mess of fun this stuff is to behold  Rock!, historical significance aside and all that.

Best couple of bucks I've yet given to the Apple Beast - more please!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »

Jim, I think it was from Rockaway.  No idea how much I paid for it, or how long I've had it.  Interestingly, the SHUT DOWN cover is on the wrong side -- as in it opens to the left.  And the spine of the cover is for Kay Starr.  So this was originally a Kay Starr album cover that Capitol re-purposed into an easel, and then stuck a cover slick on the back.

Lee

I have a similar display of the Beach Boys Party! album cover slick pasted on the back of The Beatles' Second Album jacket, with the stand-up easel cuts on the Beatles front cover.  It was still on the wall of an old record store in Houston when I found it in the 70s or 80s.  I think the sales clerk gave it to me when I asked for it (I think I found the "Guess I'm Dumb" 45 there on the same visit).

Nice Les!  Beatles and Beach Boys on the same stand-up!  That takes the prize -- until the SMiLE stand-up surfaces!

Lee

Bump.  

And a very nice one to add to my collection. Thanxx Les!!  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:30:17 AM by bgas » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2014, 02:29:23 AM »

Veeeeeeeeeeeery nice! Ta for sharing!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:09 AM »

Jim, I think it was from Rockaway.  No idea how much I paid for it, or how long I've had it.  Interestingly, the SHUT DOWN cover is on the wrong side -- as in it opens to the left.  And the spine of the cover is for Kay Starr.  So this was originally a Kay Starr album cover that Capitol re-purposed into an easel, and then stuck a cover slick on the back.

Lee

I have a similar display of the Beach Boys Party! album cover slick pasted on the back of The Beatles' Second Album jacket, with the stand-up easel cuts on the Beatles front cover.  It was still on the wall of an old record store in Houston when I found it in the 70s or 80s.  I think the sales clerk gave it to me when I asked for it (I think I found the "Guess I'm Dumb" 45 there on the same visit).

Nice Les!  Beatles and Beach Boys on the same stand-up!  That takes the prize -- until the SMiLE stand-up surfaces!

Lee

Bump. 

And a very nice one to add to my collection. Thanxx Les!! 

And I just remembered that Phil ( the prayforsurf blog guy) has/had a Smile cover-slick on a cardboard backing that he got in a store at the time( think that's what he said) 
ALMOST a stand-up?    Here's the pics he sent me of the front/back: 

Just thinking out loud... but would Capitol go to the trouble of preparing instore promo items for an album that didn't actually exist ? I'd like to see the provenience of this.

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2014, 04:50:22 AM »

I believe that Smile cover slick on cardboard from 1966/7 is legitimate.

In late 1966, my older brother and I haunted the Frank of Frank's Record Shop on White Plains Road in the Bronx, New York, for when the new Beach Boys' album was going to be released.  It was Smile and Frank had the album cover prominently displayed in the front window of his shop.  We thought at the time it was the entire album cover, but, in retrospect, was most likely just the front cover slick.  I cannot recall whether it was mounted on cardboard, but it probably was because Frank had it propped up in the front window and it appeared to be just like a "regular" album cover. We would stand in front of Frank's and stare at the album cover because it was so colorful and unusual.

After hearing "Good Vibrations," Rich and I became somewhat obsessed with getting the new album. We lived nearby Frank's shop so we would stop in quite often and ask if the album was out yet.  Frank was a great guy, one of the many independent record store owners in the Bronx at the time.  He would tell us things like, "Not yet boys.  Still no word.  Not sure when it's coming out."  Rich and I were frustrated, but did not give it a whole lot of thought as to why it was not coming out.  Before the Smile myth evolved, it was just the band's new album, albeit an album that would contain "Good Vibrations" and, we figured, other amazing songs. In time, word filtered down that the album was not going to be released.  We were mystified, but we really did not think too much more about it.

Of course, if a small account like Frank's had a Smile cover, then I'd imagine Capitol must have produced quite a few of them as promotional items (hundreds?  thousands?). Raising the question, "What happened to them all?"  Certainly, most were tossed or returned to Capitol reps, but one would think some would have survived.  

Even now, after all these years, I can still see that Smile cover in the front window of Frank's Record Shop. And I continue to ask myself two questions.  What happened to it?  And why, for the love of God, didn't you ask Frank for the cover.    
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:52:01 AM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2014, 07:35:42 AM »

Of course, theCapitol salesmens disc does refer to an instore display piece. Curiouser and curiouser.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »

I'm not qualified to judge authenticity but they were shooting for a January release which was well before the project was cancelled.

There appears to be a black edge on the top and opening side. Is that part of the front liner or is that something added to the cardboard? A Queens Litho rep pointed out to me that in that day Capitol's front liners were different from others. They either wrapped the album's edge or they did not wrap the album's edge, too lazy to go check.

Is that a coated paper litho or is it a bond paper print? The photo kind of looks like it might be printed directly to the cardboard.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:05:38 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

I'm with Jim and Cam in thinking it is legit. At first I thought of a store owner gluing it to cardboard
to place in a window display.  But that fixing is well done (you can see the vertical cardboard stripes
on the front over the word "Boys"  --seamless, no bubbles).  That couldn't be Elmer's. Cam's idea
of direct printing is fascinating.  Could Capitol do that?

So...rare.  I would compare it with my "'Smile' the Beach Troll" (still have the package, although opened). Orange crazy
hair, classic Troll plastic.  This is when the troll fad had faded.  Likely pulled or just not produced much. 

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:53 PM »

Tom Bagdonas (member here) used to tell me of a record store on NYC that had a SMiLE cover on their wall, well before all the reprints came out.  Maybe Tom can elaborate as to whether the "cover" was on cardboard like this.

I too vote "real" on Phil's cover.

Lee
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »

Short of proofs I'm going to say the front and back liners were all used by subcontractors to make complete covers. My understanding is that at that time Capitol did not make album covers, they were made by subcontractors. For the SMiLE covers it was BertCo and Queens Litho [on the memoes]. BertCo made their covers in-house as I understand it and delivered them to Capitol production. Queens Litho printed the front liners, shipped them to a sub-subcontracting fabricator who printed the black on white plain bond paper back liners and assembled completed covers and shipped those to the other Capitol production center in the memo [forgotten]. That would be why Mike said they had album covers already in April '67 and Capitol production had covers in warehouse until 1969.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:32:47 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx