gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 11:21:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stevie Wonder and The Beach Boys  (Read 2452 times)
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »

Tomorrow I'll be covering a Stevie Wonder press conference, and I'll have the chance to ask him a question or two. Does anybody remember Stevie talking about the BBs version of IWMTLH or "I do love you"? I always also assumed that Brian's Moog bass lines were influenced by him, even if the BBs were using the Moog at least a year before Stevie

Thanks
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »

What DID Stevie say about the Boys' version of "I was made to love her?"  I don't recall having read or heard.  I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the band (especially Carl) nailed that recording.  Also, did you learn anything at today's press conference?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »

Ask about Carol Kaye's bass playing.  Roll Eyes

Watch out for snakes!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

Don't forget he worked with them on the '85 album… at least, on one track.  That was an interesting period for the band, with Brian's odd involvement.  Did SW work with the band or was his contribution phoned-in?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »

Ask about Carol Kaye's bass playing.  Roll Eyes

As I recall, his response last time contained the word "lawyers".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »

What DID Stevie say about the Boys' version of "I was made to love her?"  I don't recall having read or heard.  I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the band (especially Carl) nailed that recording.  Also, did you learn anything at today's press conference?

I agree that the BBs nailed "I Was Made to Love Her"... although I think the extended version (with bridge) that's on the Rarities album is MUCH better, since it gives the song a chance to breathe a bit, and takes away a bit of the repetition. Even that janky edit of the voices cutting off at the end of the bridge is kinda sorta cool. I used to get bored with the album version upon my initial listenings of it, but the Rarities version made me listen to it in a new light, and it grew on me a lot.

Surprised that whoever made that decision (whether it be Brian or the band) went with the edit for the WH album version.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:53:08 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

Don't forget he worked with them on the '85 album… at least, on one track.  That was an interesting period for the band, with Brian's odd involvement.  Did SW work with the band or was his contribution phoned-in?

Semi-phoned in - Levine called on him to ask if he'd contribute, and walked out an hour or so later with the basic track (and presumably a scratch vocal) for "IDLY". SW and the BB were never in the studio at the same time.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

Off-topic but "Don't Know Why" is one of the coolest songs ever.

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »

Semi-phoned in - Levine called on him to ask if he'd contribute, and walked out an hour or so later with the basic track (and presumably a scratch vocal) for "IDLY". SW and the BB were never in the studio at the same time.

So had Stevie already recorded the song, then?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »

Stevie told me that "I do love you" was a song he had written at 17 influenced by the Beach Boys, and that he felt honored recording it with them.  About "I was made...": he just said they covered it, because the translator asked the question wrong, as if it were another donation. Cool fact about "I do love you", anyway... even if I fail to see the influence. He turned 17 in 1967.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »

So had Stevie already recorded the song, then?

Not sure - the inference in the article was that he recorded it while Levine waited.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 09:14:51 AM »

IIRC Brian once said he wrote "Still I dream of it" for Stevie Wonder. But then he also said he wrote it for Sinatra

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

Perhaps the genesis of this relationship stems from when Al met Stevie at a reception and became so enamoured by him that he wanted to work with him.

References

Lillie, A., & Perrin, P. (1982). A rap from Al Jardine. BBFUN Newsletter, (7)4, 1-4.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:22:01 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »

I saw Stevie on some show when one of his albums came out, he included a ep with (more songs he couldn't fit on the LP) he said the only other time it had been done was The Beach Boys "Holland" album. So he knew about that!

Cook pork throughly
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »

That's Song In The Key Of Life: a double album plus an ep!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx