gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:37:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian was brilliant at choosing the running order on Beach Boys albums  (Read 5948 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »

It's funny you post about this because I was just thinking of posting a "battle of the best Side 1/Side 2" thread and of course Today! side 2 was brought to mind, plus side 1 is a great fast paced side. Even more recently, the That's why God made the Radio album had a really great track order...and when the vinyl version came out, they even switched a couple of the songs around.
Some other notable side ones and twos either put together by Brian or the band that are highlights to me:
Holland side 1 and 2
Love You side 1
Surf's Up side 2
Summer Days side 2
Smiley side 1
Wild Honey Side 1 and side 2
Shut Down Vol 2 side 1
Surfer Girl side 2
20/20 side 1 and 2
Party! Side 1
Friends side 1

Just some sides that I think flow perfectly well.

Heck, even side 1 and side 2 of Brian's first solo album have a great flow, as does Pacific Ocean Blue, side 2 of Looking Back with Love, and the second side of That Lucky Old Sun.

What was the vinyl running order for God Made Radio? 

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »

Hm... given the number of "here's my improved tracklisting/order for [insert your BB album of choice here]" threads over the years, I'd have to question your opinion.  Smiley

And, I think that I contributed to every one of those threads! Not to be disagreeable....um, yes, to be disagreeable, I think the Beach Boys' albums are the worst sequenced albums I have ever listened to. I'll even go so far as to say some of them could've improved a full rating or star or grade - simply by improving the sequencing. Shocked police
I've contributed to those threads, mightily myself, from time-to-time.  For you see (puffs on pipe...) the art of sequencing is not to be taken lightly...

It can make or break an album.  It can make a fair album, with great song -- into a great album with great songs.  All with a proper re-sequencing.  There's even more to be said for how a song is MIXED, but that's another topic.

I swear by my sequencing of Summer Days.

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »

It's a great idea about the zap back to reality and that the invigoration caused by a calm meditative state but .... I dunno ... I think you give them too much credit here.

I say to you, "Wind Chimes" (Smiley Smile version).

There's no way Wind Chimes going into Gettin' Hungry wasn't intentional. One of the most hilarious bits of sequencing I've seen. You have to turn up your stereo ALL the way to hear the Wind Chimes tag, then Gettin Hungry bursts out with that really loud organ..  Brilliant.. They kinda do that "back to reality" dose with Wind Chimes itself with that weird organ burst that comes out of nowhere in such a tranquil, low volume sounding song before it ends.

I would say "TM" at the end of Friends has to be a joke. I can't see how it would be an accident to put a song like that at the end. Seems like Brian loved to f_uck with his audience with some of these track inclusions. Everyone is still perplexed with these to this day, especially that one, "Big Daddy" on Today and "I'm Bugged By My Old Man" on Summer Days, which sounds like 'Smiley Smile' already..
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:05:07 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »

It's a great idea about the zap back to reality and that the invigoration caused by a calm meditative state but .... I dunno ... I think you give them too much credit here.

There's no way Wind Chimes going into Gettin' Hungry wasn't intentional. One of the most hilarious bits of sequencing I've seen. You have to turn up your stereo ALL the way to hear the Wind Chimes tag, then Gettin Hungry bursts out with that really loud organ..  Brilliant.. They kinda do that "back to reality" dose with Wind Chimes itself with that weird organ burst that comes out of nowhere in such a tranquil, low volume sounding song before it ends.

I would say "TM" at the end of Friends has to be a joke. I can't see how it would be an accident to put a song like that at the end. Seems like Brian loved to f_uck with his audience with some of these track inclusions. Everyone is still perplexed with these to this day, especially that one, "Big Daddy" on Today and "I'm Bugged By My Old Man" on Summer Days, which sounds like 'Smiley Smile' already..

I think you and others are confusing Brian's sometimes odd sense of humor for brilliance or genius.    The fact that Brian chose for things to be a certain way does not make that the right choice.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »

I think you and others are confusing Brian's sometimes odd sense of humor for brilliance or genius.    The fact that Brian chose for things to be a certain way does not make that the right choice.

I personally only love the type of things on Smiley Smile and not really the other stuff I mentioned. I don't think Big Daddy or putting "TM" at the end of Friends is brilliant, but it is morbidly fascinating. I guess I sort of understand the absurdity in his humor at times. That said I don't agree that they were always the right choices. Maybe they're more funny in retrospect because of how ridiculous the choices are, especially on 'Today', which almost ruins the whole ending for the album.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:43:39 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »

I think you and others are confusing Brian's sometimes odd sense of humor for brilliance or genius.    The fact that Brian chose for things to be a certain way does not make that the right choice.

I personally only love the type of things on Smiley Smile and not really the other stuff I mentioned. I don't think Big Daddy or putting "TM" at the end of Friends is brilliant, but it is morbidly fascinating. I guess I sort of understand the absurdity in his humor at times. That said I don't agree that they were always the right choices. Maybe they're more funny in retrospect because of how ridiculous the choices are, especially on 'Today', which almost ruins the whole ending for the album.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the above posts, but I think sometimes we read too much into, or make more out of what is really there, when we discuss Brian's decisions - or lack of. I personally never viewed "Transcendental Meditation" as a joke or f---ing with his audience or whatever. I just thought "Transcendental Meditation" was one of his better songs that he composed at that time (and was also into), he wanted it on the album, lyrically it didn't particularly fit anywhere, and it seemed like a good closing song, which it is.

One subject that I was always curious about was just how much Brian was involved in the sequencing of his albums/songs. Again, and pure speculation on my part, I never really thought that Brian was overly interested in the sequencing of his albums, but I could be totally wrong on that...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 04:16:53 AM »

It's funny you post about this because I was just thinking of posting a "battle of the best Side 1/Side 2" thread and of course Today! side 2 was brought to mind, plus side 1 is a great fast paced side. Even more recently, the That's why God made the Radio album had a really great track order...and when the vinyl version came out, they even switched a couple of the songs around.
Some other notable side ones and twos either put together by Brian or the band that are highlights to me:
Holland side 1 and 2
Love You side 1
Surf's Up side 2
Summer Days side 2
Smiley side 1
Wild Honey Side 1 and side 2
Shut Down Vol 2 side 1
Surfer Girl side 2
20/20 side 1 and 2
Party! Side 1
Friends side 1

Just some sides that I think flow perfectly well.

Heck, even side 1 and side 2 of Brian's first solo album have a great flow, as does Pacific Ocean Blue, side 2 of Looking Back with Love, and the second side of That Lucky Old Sun.

What was the vinyl running order for God Made Radio?  
Side A
Think About The Days (Wilson, Thomas)
That’s Why God Made The Radio (Wilson, Peterik, Millas, J. Thomas)
Isn’t It Time
(Wilson, Love, Peterik, Millas, Thomas)
Spring Vacation (Wilson, Love, Thomas)
Beaches In Mind (Wilson, Love, Thomas)
Daybreak Over The Ocean (Love)

SIDE B
Shelter (Wilson, Thomas)
The Private Life Of Bill And Sue (Wilson, Thomas)
Strange World (Wilson, Thomas)
From There To Back Again (Wilson, Thomas)
Pacific Coast Highway
(Wilson, Thomas)
Summer's Gone (Wilson, Bon Jovi, Thomas)

http://www.examiner.com/review/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio-just-got-better

As opposed to the cd release:
Think About The Days
That's Why God Made The Radio
Isn't It Time
Spring Vacation
The Private Life Of Bill And Sue
Shelter
Daybreak Over The Ocean
Beaches In Mind
Strange World
From There To Back Again
Pacific Coast Highway
Summer's Gone
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:57:03 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 04:43:16 AM »

For anyone criticizing Brian's sequencing ideas, certainly pre-1967, you have to remember the single was king, and people didn't think about albums as art, or a statement.

The fact that Brian was obviously thinking about sequencing, and putting great import into how an album flows as far back as Surfer Girl, makes him a pioneer in this field.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 05:53:57 AM »

For anyone criticizing Brian's sequencing ideas, certainly pre-1967, you have to remember the single was king, and people didn't think about albums as art, or a statement.

The fact that Brian was obviously thinking about sequencing, and putting great import into how an album flows as far back as Surfer Girl, makes him a pioneer in this field.
That's very true, I'd say the blueprint for those pre-1967 albums was to start and end each side with a single, A or B side...most of the album's tracklisting can be obvious in that way: Pet Sounds, Surfer Girl (3 of 4), Summer Days (end of side one and beginning of side 2), Smiley Smile (each side leads off with a single), Today! (3/4 of the tracks, obviously excluding Sessions with big daddy), even Wild Honey (look where Darlin is). Even some post 67 albums do it: Sunflower, Surf's Up, So Tough, Holland, Light Album, and Keepin the Summer Alive.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »

then with Smile Brian obviously had a very good idea as to how the album would play out,  even making sure the album have perfect opener and closer. 

This is just all kinds of wrong. Cheesy

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 04:49:10 PM »

I've been checking out 'that's why god made the radio' vinyl....

can't believe how much better this sounds over the cd..... seems like there is more detail to the sound somehow...

are these the same mixes used for the cd?.......  it just sounds that much different...

I know they remaster different for vinyl, but my ears seem to be lying to me....

RickB
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

I doubt that Brian chose the running order before Pet Sounds (the record company) or after Friends (the Band) with the exception of Love You.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »

I doubt that Brian chose the running order before Pet Sounds (the record company)

I would love to know if that's true

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »

I've always really enjoyed the way songs flow on 'his' albums, too. It's a small, but important, detail that usually just goes right over people's heads. It says a lot about him that he would put care into a detail that is usually an afterthought at the time.

I especially love the first side of Friends.

It's a fantastic way to learn how to sequence albums, listening to Brian's work. Absolutely influential to my work Tongue

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx