gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:14:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian was brilliant at choosing the running order on Beach Boys albums  (Read 5950 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

This is something he really doesn't get a lot of credit for.

It's been interesting seeing my friends band who just recently recorded an album fight to death over the what song goes first and what goes last it got me thinking how well thought out a number of Beach Boys records were.

I don't know how many of you share or care about album running orders but it's something I've been pretty fascinated with recently, we all love a great "album opener".

I really feel that the very best records are made or broken by the order in which the songs are presented . Looking at an album like Pet Sounds the track listing is so perfectly constructed, then with Smile Brian obviously had a very good idea as to how the album would play out,  even making sure the album have perfect opener and closer.  Wouldn't it be Nice starting off Pet Sounds, God Only knows starting Side two and Caroline No ending it, the dogs barking and the train. Side two of Today! get's a lot of credit on here with all the ballads

I don't know for sure if this was all Brian's choosing but I love how for a very brief period he chose each song with care when placing them perfectly on the record for the perfect listening experience. It's those type of little subtleties we didn't get long enough from Brian.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »

It doesn't require a lot of talent to spot a song that would be a good opener imo.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »

It's funny you post about this because I was just thinking of posting a "battle of the best Side 1/Side 2" thread and of course Today! side 2 was brought to mind, plus side 1 is a great fast paced side. Even more recently, the That's why God made the Radio album had a really great track order...and when the vinyl version came out, they even switched a couple of the songs around.
Some other notable side ones and twos either put together by Brian or the band that are highlights to me:
Holland side 1 and 2
Love You side 1
Surf's Up side 2
Summer Days side 2
Smiley side 1
Wild Honey Side 1 and side 2
Shut Down Vol 2 side 1
Surfer Girl side 2
20/20 side 1 and 2
Party! Side 1
Friends side 1

Just some sides that I think flow perfectly well.

Heck, even side 1 and side 2 of Brian's first solo album have a great flow, as does Pacific Ocean Blue, side 2 of Looking Back with Love, and the second side of That Lucky Old Sun.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:53:18 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »

I've always really enjoyed the way songs flow on 'his' albums, too. It's a small, but important, detail that usually just goes right over people's heads. It says a lot about him that he would put care into a detail that is usually an afterthought at the time.

I especially love the first side of Friends.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:02:56 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »

oh! And the traditional side two of the Christmas album is a favorite of mine too.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »

Hm... given the number of "here's my improved tracklisting/order for [insert your BB album of choice here]" threads over the years, I'd have to question your opinion.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 01:27:08 AM »

Interesting to note that both Surfer Girl and Pet Sounds follow the fast song / slow song  sequencing. It was a favourite type of sequencing of his, and shows he was thinking about the impact and flow of the overall album long before the (but.... but... but they're the) Beatles got the credit for it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »

I especially love the first side of Friends.

I missed that one.

Absolutely one of my favorites. That album plays perfect!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »

There are a lot of things to praise Brian for, but I'm not sure running order of albums is one. I think there could have been more creative ways to sequence Today, for example, than just going the obvious route by doing peppier songs on Side 1 and more melancholy songs on Side 2.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »

Hm... given the number of "here's my improved tracklisting/order for [insert your BB album of choice here]" threads over the years, I'd have to question your opinion.  Smiley

And, I think that I contributed to every one of those threads! Not to be disagreeable....um, yes, to be disagreeable, I think the Beach Boys' albums are the worst sequenced albums I have ever listened to. I'll even go so far as to say some of them could've improved a full rating or star or grade - simply by improving the sequencing. Shocked police
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »

And, I think that I contributed to every one of those threads! Not to be disagreeable....um, yes, to be disagreeable, I think the Beach Boys' albums are the worst sequenced albums I have ever listened to. I'll even go so far as to say some of them could've improved a full rating or star or grade - simply by improving the sequencing. Shocked police
Really? What albums do you think that's true for?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 01:02:40 AM »

While I don't object to the albums up to Today!, I don't like the running orders of SD/SN, PS, SS, 20/20 and Sunflower. Especially SD/SN.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 01:31:20 AM »

I think Brian was great at sequencing his albums, but then again I don't think that's anything too genius... I mean, his sequences followed the industry practices. Hits first, nice flow between fast and slow numbers... He was not the only one doing that.

But what was he thinking placing Cassius Love... so early (fourth track) on SDv2? Geez!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »

I think Brian was great at sequencing his albums, but then again I don't think that's anything too genius... I mean, his sequences followed the industry practices. Hits first, nice flow between fast and slow numbers... He was not the only one doing that.

But what was he thinking placing Cassius Love... so early (fourth track) on SDv2? Geez!

So it would get heard.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 01:52:55 AM »

Well, at least it makes The Warmth of the Sun sound even better.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 02:23:30 AM »

I'm afraid I'm with Sheriff on this one. I find Beach Boys album sequencing frequently infuriating.

The studio patter tracks lobbed right in the middle of a side for starters.

Summer Days Summer Nights side 2 sequencing is beyond awful. Stellar for the first three tracks then Summer Means New Love - ok this must be the end of the album. Oh hang on, what's this? A comedy track? Bit unexpected after that lush exotica but whatever. Definitely nothing could follow that. Surprise! An a capella 'closer'. That's two false endings. A trick Brian wouldn't repeat (thank god) until That Lucky Old Sun's closing run of Southern California/Goin Home/tlos reprise.

20/20's abysmal sequencing speaks for itself.

But the biggest offender for me is Friends. What could be the most cohesive album of their career turned upside down by the last track.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 03:29:18 AM »

Your square minds can't handle the boys' sequencing genius! 20/20 is perferct as it is (remember, it was meant to be listened one side at a time), and that final track twist on Friends is what elevates that album from great to genius.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »

Hm... given the number of "here's my improved tracklisting/order for [insert your BB album of choice here]" threads over the years, I'd have to question your opinion.  Smiley

I'm afraid I'm with Sheriff on this one. I find Beach Boys album sequencing frequently infuriating.

The studio patter tracks lobbed right in the middle of a side for starters.

Summer Days Summer Nights side 2 sequencing is beyond awful. Stellar for the first three tracks then Summer Means New Love - ok this must be the end of the album. Oh hang on, what's this? A comedy track? Bit unexpected after that lush exotica but whatever. Definitely nothing could follow that. Surprise! An a capella 'closer'. That's two false endings. A trick Brian wouldn't repeat (thank god) until That Lucky Old Sun's closing run of Southern California/Goin Home/tlos reprise.

20/20's abysmal sequencing speaks for itself.

But the biggest offender for me is Friends. What could be the most cohesive album of their career turned upside down by the last track.

But surely TM blasting away at the end of such an otherwise laid-back peaceful album is hilarious - it's the whole point surely?

And I personally love 20/20's track-listing. Considering it was largely a mish-mash (albeit a brilliant mish-mash), the sequencing often shows terrific good humour i.e. following the raunchy pounding fade of All I Want To Do with a slice of Bruce elevator musak. And - while obviously it wasn't intended at the time - having the gorgeous innocence of Our Prayer following, ahem, 'Dennis's' Never Learn Not To Learn strikes of genius.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:57:59 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »

But surely TM blasting away at the end of such an otherwise laid-back peaceful album is hilarious - it's the whole point surely?
That is exactly what Brian was going for there. Also, the song itself is a paradox; The peaceful, tranquil Transcendental Meditation placed against a loud, discordant backing track. It's the zap back into reality when the lazy, dreamy, tranquil album is finished.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »

That is exactly what Brian was going for there. Also, the song itself is a paradox; The peaceful, tranquil Transcendental Meditation placed against a loud, discordant backing track. It's the zap back into reality when the lazy, dreamy, tranquil album is finished.
Great analogy

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »

Really? What albums do you think that's true for?

Today - I don't think the fast side/slow side works well. "Please Let Me Wonder" would've been wonderful as the first slow song on Side A - "And now here we are together, this would've been worth waiting forever...." They were sitting on one of the greatest side and/or album closers EVER with "She Knows Me Too Well", but the effect gets lost with the anti-climactic "In The Back Of My Mind" and that stupid "Bull Session With The Big Daddy". They are singing about losing the girl on "Help Me Rhonda", and immediately follow it with a song about dancing with his chick after six hours of school.

Summer Days (And Summer Nights) - From "Let Him Run Wild" to "You're So Good To Me" to "Summer Means New Love". I think they got the order backwards!

Pet Sounds - This one is the worst sequenced albums. Second song - "I know perfectly well I'm not where I should be..." I didn't know he went anywhere. 'That's Not Me", with the lines "I miss my pad and the places I've known" and " I went through all kinds of changes" and "I'm a little bit scared 'cause I haven't been home in a long time..." clearly belongs on Side B, AFTER the guy went though "all kinds of changes". On "God Only Knows" - "if you should ever leave me" - well, I think she already did, on "I'm Waiting For The Day"! I think "I Know There's An Answer and "I Just Wasn't made For These Times" should be flip-flopped. The line, "I KEEP looking for a place to fit in" works best BEFORE "I know NOW but I had to FIND IT...." Then they throw in a boy/girl song, "Here Today" in there; sandwiched among Brian's "looking at himself" songs. Move "Here Today" to side one with the other "relationship" songs, maybe right after "Wouldn't It Be Nice" or even "Don't Talk".

Sunflower - Starting that album with "Add Some Music To Your Day" seems so perfect. And, shouldn't you meet the girl first with "Got To Know The Woman" before our love is growing on "Slip On Through"?

15 Big Ones - It's all over the place. They go from the happy "Chapel Of Love" into "Everyone's In Love With You" and "Talk To Me". Why? 

The Beach Boys Love You - "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" would've been perfect on Side A, right after he meets the roller skating child. And, then follow that with "Honkin" - taking ONE LITTLE STEP at a time now, til we're feeling fine...". But, they put "Honkin" AFTER "Mona" - enough of GOING STEADY".

M.I.U. - They were sitting on two great album openers - "Come Go With Me" and "Wontcha Come Out Tonight". Why does "My Diane" FOLLOW "Matchpoint"; it should be the other way around.

L.A. (Light Album) - They shoulda gone from "Baby Blue" - I hold you in my dreams tonight, hold you til morning light - right into "Lady Lynda" - cannot deny there've been hard times...won't you marry me - into "Shortenin' Bread". I always thought "Goin' South" into "Sumahama" would've worked well. Or even "Full Sail". They're both "traveling songs".

The Beach Boys 1985 - The second song on the album is called "It's Getting Late".

There are many more. Something about Holland doesn't flow quite right, either. Obviously, it's just my opinion. I'm sure many think the albums are perfectly fine.police
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 02:19:51 AM »

I've heard this theory before, probably from you. It's a great idea about the zap back to reality and the invigoration following a calm meditative state but .... I dunno ... I think you give them too much credit here. Just feels like another example of Brian goofiness to me. To be fair, the song has grown on me over the years and it was good to hear the backing track on MIC recently.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:49:49 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 03:33:05 AM »

It's a great idea about the zap back to reality and that the invigoration caused by a calm meditative state but .... I dunno ... I think you give them too much credit here.

I say to you, "Wind Chimes" (Smiley Smile version).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »

It's a great idea about the zap back to reality and that the invigoration caused by a calm meditative state but .... I dunno ... I think you give them too much credit here.

I say to you, "Wind Chimes" (Smiley Smile version).

Ok the evidence mounts! Might have to reconsider this ...

RioGrande
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 06:44:12 AM »

No. They seem more or less random to me.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx