gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:31:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nilsson / Monkees - unreleased song  (Read 1508 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »

we're re-releasing our interpretation of this Nilsson song he wrote for the Monkees; check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgOh7ORAgw&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:27:53 PM by DonnyL » Logged

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:43:04 AM »

Very cool. I (naturally, I guess) didn't know that song. Has it come out subsequently on a rarities comp or something like that? Anyways, nice recording with authentic  sound. I seem to remember something about you recording on vintage, analog gear, right?

What's the rest of the album like? Original songs or similar covers of lost classics?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »

Very cool. I (naturally, I guess) didn't know that song. Has it come out subsequently on a rarities comp or something like that? Anyways, nice recording with authentic  sound. I seem to remember something about you recording on vintage, analog gear, right?

What's the rest of the album like? Original songs or similar covers of lost classics?

The original demo is on the recently released Nilsson box. Really nice version, DonnyL.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

Very cool. I (naturally, I guess) didn't know that song. Has it come out subsequently on a rarities comp or something like that? Anyways, nice recording with authentic  sound. I seem to remember something about you recording on vintage, analog gear, right?

Yeh I was not aware of a release! we cut this in 2011 and released in on 7 inch in 2012. I added the 12-string/Leslie intro & outro to make it sound more like a '60s folk-rock song, since the demo was kind of sparse. It's part of a new cassette-only comp of some of our work ... all original material except the Nilsson song. The only other covers we've done are a few Charles Manson tunes on a previous release.

That's right! I have the original 1966 Ampex 8-track from Sunset Sound, which actually was used for Beach Boys, Monkees tracks, etc. We cut our last album on that, but the Nilsson cover was done on a '70s Teac machine and mixed to an Ampex mono deck.

you can get more info on our label site: http://www.trounrecords.com

thanks!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:33:36 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »

The original demo is on the recently released Nilsson box. Really nice version, DonnyL.

thanks for the info and compliment

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 05:50:04 AM »

(...) I have the original 1966 Ampex 8-track from Sunset Sound, which actually was used for Beach Boys, Monkees tracks, etc. We cut our last album on that, but the Nilsson cover was done on a '70s Teac machine and mixed to an Ampex mono deck.

thanks!

Ok, will check out. Interesting approach to recording in this day and age. Is there anything else behind your choice of that direction other than obtaining that nice warm & vintage sound?

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:26:23 AM »

(...) I have the original 1966 Ampex 8-track from Sunset Sound, which actually was used for Beach Boys, Monkees tracks, etc. We cut our last album on that, but the Nilsson cover was done on a '70s Teac machine and mixed to an Ampex mono deck.

thanks!

Ok, will check out. Interesting approach to recording in this day and age. Is there anything else behind your choice of that direction other than obtaining that nice warm & vintage sound?

I don't know ... I've never really tried too much digital recording myself, so I think it's just something I'm comfortable with and understand. I think it's mainly the workflow and the fact that most of my favorite records were done that way. I like the physical element of it all.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:30:14 AM by DonnyL » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx