gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:21:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's Nelson Mandela Facebook Post  (Read 11343 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »

This centurydeprived guy has got to be trolling  Roll Eyes

Mike Love actually wrote a song addressing the Sun City issue, but then decided to switch it to be about Dallas at the last minute. The original lyrics went "...and I'll never play Sun City again" thus totally denouncing their appearance there (this version confirmed on FB by someone who has heard the uncirculating demo). The rhymes he had for Sun City just weren't quite as good as his awesome new rhymes for the word Dallas -- palace & chalice, so the song got changed last minute (kind of like Bells of Paris>Bells of Winter or whatever)

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »

I think Mike's "Cool Bread, Bad Aparteid" made his feelings clear in retrospect.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »

I think that once it is acknowledged that playing Sun City does not equal endorsing apartheid, coming up with a 30+ year old "screw the UN" quote from an interview almost no one knew about, and backslashing Mike for it, seems unforgiving to a degree no poster would tolerate upon themselves.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »

This centurydeprived guy has got to be trolling  Roll Eyes

roll plymouth rock – No, I’m not trolling, just expressing my honest opinions on the matter.

I think that once it is acknowledged that playing Sun City does not equal endorsing apartheid, coming up with a 30+ year old "screw the UN" quote from an interview almost no one knew about, and backslashing Mike for it, seems unforgiving to a degree no poster would tolerate upon themselves.

Dr. Lenny – while a 32 year old quote may be “ancient history”, the fact that “almost no one knew about” the quote is of little consequence to me. It happened; the quote isn’t hearsay. Am I overanalyzing it? Perhaps. We’re on a BB message board; that’s what we nerds do – overanalyze minutia related to our favorite band. The quote was shared by well-respected BB authors (and they called it out as being “crass”, which it absolutely is) in a recently-published BB book. I have never accused Mike of “endorsing” apartheid, but I have accused him of speaking in a particularly despicable, wholly unempathetic manner about a very sensitive topic. I’m not quite sure why I (or anyone else) should be “forgiving” to the man for speaking in that manner.

As soon as I read the quote a few months ago (after reading the BB In Concert book from front to back), the crassness of it disgusted me to a pretty major degree – but... I saw no reason to start a thread about it here, because it was something in the past, unrelated to present events, albeit something that marked a low point for him, in my eyes.

It is only when Mike has a set of cojones big enough to casually mention Mandela last week on FB in a long post (presumably having long forgotten the 1981 interview/quote) that the hypocrisy got me bugged enough to mention it here.  However, I’d be somewhat forgiving if he ever owned up to it, even a smidgen. But I'm not holding my breath; owning up to past personal mistakes/regrets (at least in a public capacity) isn’t exactly one of Mike’s best-known attributes. If he tried doing so from time to time, even just a little, methinks that many people would go easier on him on a great many issues. To give Mike possible credit: maybe his 2013 FB posting is Mike's own way (without fessing up) of trying to do/say something positive to counteract his previous quote (which he currently may not exactly be proud of).  But I have no idea. My guess is that the 1981 quote is, to him, long out of sight/long out of mind.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:41:53 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »

its the beach boys dude. they are hypocritical and inconsistent. get your point. no need to go on a million giant rants about it, you made your point the first post.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »

Is it hypocritical to admire Mandela and object to a UN blacklist?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:00:08 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »

Excuse my ignorance but is this quote attributed to Mike on tape or is this one of those heresay deals where someone said Mike said yada yada?

I heard Mike interviewed that he never actually said, "Don't Fu@k with the formula".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »

Excuse my ignorance but is this quote attributed to Mike on tape or is this one of those heresay deals where someone said Mike said yada yada?

I heard Mike interviewed that he never actually said, "Don't Fu@k with the formula".

Jon and Ian's book attributes the quote to a newspaper (The Oklahoman) and a specific reporter who interviewed him (Gene Triplett). That's all I know, but that's enough for me to presume it can be substantiated.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:51:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »

its the beach boys dude. they are hypocritical and inconsistent. get your point. no need to go on a million giant rants about it, you made your point the first post.

Glad you got the point. Not trying to sound like a broken record, which I'm sure I do at this point. Thing is, if people find the need to try and defend something I find especially indefensible, I feel implored to to respectfully disagree, and to say so. </rant>
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »

Glad you got the point. Not trying to sound like a broken record, which I'm sure I do at this point. Thing is, if people find the need to try and defend something I find especially indefensible, I feel implored to to respectfully disagree, and to say so. </rant>
sure, I bet everyone gets it by now. once, twice three times MAX. But going on and on and on is way overkill.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »

Is it hypocritical to admire Mandela and object to a UN blacklist?

http://artbyshirzad.com/art-and-censorship-paul-simon-vs-artists-against-apartheid/

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx