gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's that little guy with the teeth?  (Read 3167 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »

I know it's all obvious to us now in hindsight - and with our knowledge of the band's origin - but back in 1964, didn't the band's fans think 'Who... who the hell is this guy??' when they bought Shut Down Vol 2?

Was there an official announcement? Or was it really just a case of Marks out, Jardine in, let's hope no-one asks questions...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »

Yes, I certainly wondered who that was. Soon enough, I found out Al was an original member of the band, so then it was "OK, got it." However, I'm still ticked off at Murry re how he handled David's departure.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:19 AM »

Yes there was an official announcement . late 1963 when BTTYS was released.. Altho im sure a lot of people missed it..
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

There would have been a lot of other media - fan club news, teen mags, mainstream news, radio and tv spots - not to mention live appearances that would have come before the album was released.

Sure, there are always a few people living under a rock who would have been suprised, but I'd assume a lot of fans would have known the line-up de jour before the album cover hit the stands.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »

He was on the Fun, Fun, Fun 7" sleeve which I presume came first...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »

There would have been a lot of other media - fan club news, teen mags, mainstream news, radio and tv spots - not to mention live appearances that would have come before the album was released.

Sure, there are always a few people living under a rock who would have been suprised, but I'd assume a lot of fans would have known the line-up de jour before the album cover hit the stands.
No...I remember a lot of Beach Boys fans saw the SDV2 cover and were like.."Who the hell is that?" My sisters bought the LP's as they came out, and they had no idea who "Al Jardine" was until they saw that album cover. There was no mention in any press that Al was an orig/ founder etc... until months after David was gone. They had conveniently left Al's part of the story out of their 62/63 bios and press releases as they rose to fame. And then they did the same thing to David starting in early 64.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »

No...I remember a lot of Beach Boys fans saw the SDV2 cover and were like.."Who the hell is that?" My sisters bought the LP's as they came out, and they had no idea who "Al Jardine" was until they saw that album cover. There was no mention in any press that Al was an orig/ founder etc... until months after David was gone. They had conveniently left Al's part of the story out of their 62/63 bios and press releases as they rose to fame. And then they did the same thing to David starting in early 64.
Wow Shocked, no sh*t?? Well, there you go - thanks for correcting me about the lack of warning to fans et al, specifically re Al's second coming.  I am genuinely suprised that event didn't get a lot of attention given the group's popularity and touring schedule.

Always great to read "when it happened" anecdotes as well, thanks for the insights about your sisters reactions!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:47 AM »

Wow Shocked, no sh*t?? Well, there you go - thanks for correcting me about the lack of warning to fans et al, specifically re Al's second coming.  I am genuinely suprised that event didn't get a lot of attention given the group's popularity and touring schedule.

Always great to read "when it happened" anecdotes as well, thanks for the insights about your sisters reactions!

Maybe part of Murry's plot!  Simply move Al in as if he's been there forever, taking "Dave's place", then wait a while and start the publicity of how he's an always/original member( but not pay/treat him that way) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »

Maybe part of Murry's plot!  Simply move Al in as if he's been there forever, taking "Dave's place", then wait a while and start the publicity of how he's an always/original member( but not pay/treat him that way) 

Yeah, my initial thoughts were along that line, but I would have expected Murry to rub David's face in "it" by making a big deal of Al rejoining, rather than using the old silent treatment.

And I agree with you that All rejoining as an employee may have contributed to the band's initial silence and Capitol not making a big deal about it in their promo campaigns.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

He was on the Fun, Fun, Fun 7" sleeve which I presume came first...

That was  the first Bb single I bought as a preteen back in the day.    so to me, for many years, he was there from the beginning.    Much later, I noticed David on a cover but may have assumed he was  one of the "other" beachboys.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 04:36:27 AM »

Can't believe no one jumped onto Disney Boy re title of the thread. Isn't it tasteless, folks? Instead of throwing this "teeth" remark, the OP should've been more grateful towards Al if only for his tremendous voice. Or not?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 05:21:45 AM »

Nah, its called humor. And I'd say he complimented Al there - the guy has always taken care of his teeth.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

"Take good care of your teeth...Keith. Better watch out how you floss...boss. Better take care of your gums 'cause no one else will".

I'm sorry.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »

Were the Beach Boys even part of the "teen zine" network in 1963 and at the time Shut Down 2 hit the stores? I'm talking about the usual teen gossip and fanzine magazines, I know they were around in the 50's featuring everyone from the American Bandstand Philly local kids to Elvis to Edd "Kookie" Byrnes to the Lennon Sisters...

...but was there even much of a teen zine presence for groups like the Beach Boys before the Beatles hit the scene? It seems to have exploded in 1964. And I'm saying that because someone had mentioned these magazines as possibly carrying news of Al replacing David - and I'm not sure the Beach Boys were even fodder for those kinds of pages when it happened.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »

Were the Beach Boys even part of the "teen zine" network in 1963 and at the time Shut Down 2 hit the stores? I'm talking about the usual teen gossip and fanzine magazines, I know they were around in the 50's featuring everyone from the American Bandstand Philly local kids to Elvis to Edd "Kookie" Byrnes to the Lennon Sisters...

...but was there even much of a teen zine presence for groups like the Beach Boys before the Beatles hit the scene? It seems to have exploded in 1964. And I'm saying that because someone had mentioned these magazines as possibly carrying news of Al replacing David - and I'm not sure the Beach Boys were even fodder for those kinds of pages when it happened.

IF anyone here knows the answer, I'd guess it would be Jim Murphy. Last I knew he had a great collection of mags...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »

I had it backwards at the time. I'd, er, borrowed, my older sister's Live In Concert and All Summer Long as my first BB albums. When I started filling in their older records, I wondered who David Marks was and what happened to him.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx