gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:39:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love does it again. Latest interview  (Read 3180 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:24:14 AM »

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2013/12/07/entertainment/doc52a22389c208a985080848.txt?viewmode=fullstory

It just amazes me how Mr. Positivity always finds a way these days to dredge up negativity.  This time it's not the Wilson's drug use but Brian's nervous breakdown. I mean, every interview, he puts himself off a an enlightened, mystical rock and roll TM guru. The superhero of positive vibrations. Funny how he never mentions his own nervous breakdown at the RnR HOF. Or any of the other crap he has pulled over the years. It's not that any of the guys were saints but why can't he just not go there?

Not to make this another Mike bashing thread but what goes on in this guys head?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:48 AM »

A little context ? Here's the actual quote:

"Brian left the touring group due to his problems and nervous breakdown, but he continued as a producer and arranger which he was extremely good at. I was sad to see Brian leave the touring band. But it wasn’t working for him.

“Different members have gone off to do their own projects. Brian Wilson is doing that now. For years he was a recluse and it is great that he can tour again because for so long he wasn’t able to do that."

Seriously, if such a perfectly innocuous, and indeed laudatory, interview response like that gets you so wound up... well, maybe you should just stop looking for stuff like this to get annoyed about. We don't need another OSD and, honestly, it's most unbecoming in someone of your age.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »

I dont't think this one's that bad... I mean, he's just stating a fact, that's how it went. A quick history lesson for the uninitiated.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:07:32 AM »

I dont't think this one's that bad... I mean, he's just stating a fact, that's how it went. A quick history lesson for the uninitiated.
Well, he could say, "I did crack up at our Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction but I've managed to overcome that and, like Tony Bennett, still crooning".

The point is not context or denial, it's why even go there? I read a lot of McCartney interviews and he manages not to say negative things about John. Manages to avoid bringing up John's heroin addiction.

Like I could post bad things about bookies. We all know how insidious gambling is and how it ruins lives and families but why go there... Then again, I could be tweeting that I'm riding in a bus like some jackass. But I don't do that either.

Oh yeah, I digress. No, it's not a bad interview, but the dude just always has to go negative. Like why does Mike get so many articles written about him like this:
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/mike-love-is-kind-of-an-asshole
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:29:42 AM by ORR » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:30:28 AM »

Like I could post bad things about bookies. We all know how insidious gambling is and how it ruins lives and families but why go there...

I took a job at a bookies for one, overriding reason: I had been out of work for 18 months on minimal benefits (being white, male, non-Muslim and not gay or pregnant) and at age 56, I wasn't in any kind of position to be picky about who paid me. No-one forces anyone to bet, I don't stand outside the door and throw them into the shop, and if someone is showing signs of having a problem, we have the right to intervene and, if necessary, bar them - and we have. I assume you view those who work in the drinks and tobacco business in a similar light, and that it's not just me.

You can take all the shots you like at my BB knowledge, writings, connections and opinions - frankly I don't care, because it's not all that important, except evidently to you - but kindly refrain from making sweeping assumptions about other areas of my life, of which you know precisely nothing other than what you've gleaned here.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »

I had been out of work for 18 months on minimal benefits (being white, male, non-Muslim and not gay or pregnant)

There are problems with the benefits system but, come on, what's being muslim or gay got to do with it?

However I do agree with you that there's nothing especially offensive in Mike's comments above. Just statements of fact really. Brian's mental health issues are a large part of the band's history. Hell, they're part of the Brian Wilson brand now, it's sad to say.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:05 AM »

In the UK, were I Muslim, I'd get preferential treatment (I was told by someone at the benefits office "we have to look after our minorities" - at which point I told her I was a minority (Roma descent) and she STFU  Grin)... were I a pregnant 17year old, they'd give me a flat and throw money at me. I apologise for the gay reference, it wasn't relevant and was in bad taste.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:52 AM »

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2013/12/07/entertainment/doc52a22389c208a985080848.txt?viewmode=fullstory

It just amazes me how Mr. Positivity always finds a way these days to dredge up negativity.  This time it's not the Wilson's drug use but Brian's nervous breakdown. I mean, every interview, he puts himself off a an enlightened, mystical rock and roll TM guru. The superhero of positive vibrations. Funny how he never mentions his own nervous breakdown at the RnR HOF. Or any of the other crap he has pulled over the years. It's not that any of the guys were saints but why can't he just not go there?
Not to make this another Mike bashing thread but what goes on in this guys head?
That sentence is the author's own inference, and does not seem to be Mike's and should have been in a subsequent paragraph.  It is sort of misleading to run the sentences together. 

And, it has been on record many times that the many "job descriptions" that Brian had, required him to be off the road, because he wasn't hiring someone to write, produce, etc.  Brian was "hands on" doing stuff that many other "big rock bands" left to hired personnel. 

It seems that he left the road before Pet Sounds, and that work shows "competence" all around.  JMHO, of course.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:56 AM »

I would agree on this one that Michael's comments are in step within the context of touring.

Touring is what the first half of the article covers and the Brian/Breakdown/episode is an integral
historic event that affected the band's live acts.

Pass.

this time Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »

Well, he could say, "I did crack up at our Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction but I've managed to overcome that and, like Tony Bennett, still crooning".

He could qualify it like that, but then he'd have to spend every interview detailing every aspect of the band's history to qualify every other sentence. No-one does that in real life.  Folk who post here against ML don't always explain why they bear the guy a grudge, for instance.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »

Nothing to see here.  Move along, people!   Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »

Maybe some of us are having an issue with the interviewers instead of the interviewee.

Are the Moderators cool with board members going after other board member's personal life and employment history?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfinTroll
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »

What sort of food do people like when reading Mike Love interviews?  I usually have yogurt, water and then a quick "cool down" meditation.   
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »

What sort of food do people like when reading Mike Love interviews?  I usually have yogurt, water and then a quick "cool down" meditation.   

Eggplant Parmesan. And its better the next day.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »

It starts getting really annoying if we start getting reported posts from the both of you on each others replies... both stop it now and start ignoring each other. You're both doing your utmost best to get each other banned.

And I'm locking this topic.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:31:49 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx