gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:17:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You're Still A Mystery  (Read 13959 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »

Duly noted. Yet another reason to avoid posting right after I get up in the morning!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »

"need a little hand now"

I always heard this as "Give a little hint now". Could be wrong though.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »

The bootleg floating around is the same version as MIC, just faster, I'm fairly certain. And It's been confirmed by people who know that it's Carl with Matt Jardine on the high part.

This is not true. Brian's lead is different -- according to Alan Boyd, it was recut in 2000. The boot lead comes from at least five years before, and sounds it.

You're a great poster Wirestone, but I don't like seeing the wrong people getting credit. I'm pretty sure it was c-man who said when the lead is from, and it's actually 1999.

True, it was I who shared that tidbit of info - after Alan told me!  Smiley
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »

Are there any other songs from that time period that are as good as You're Still A Mystery, that are unreleased?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »

Are there any other songs from that time period that are as good as You're Still A Mystery, that are unreleased?

Hope so - what an amazing tune. If Where I Belong is their best song of the '80's, You're Still A Mystery is their best of the '90's (not much competition I know, but still....)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »

Well there are quite a few "Brian Wilson" songs from that era, mostly unreleased. It's pretty well known that most of the songs were apparently planned to be Beach Boys tunes, however only "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" were anywhere close to being complete with Beach Boys vocals. There is also one other tune with Beach Boys vocals, that song being "Baywatch Nights" aka "Dancin' the Night Away", which has a cool rockin' backing track and a nice vocal by Carl, followed by a really nice part by the group. However, it was never finished, as far as we know. However, I suppose they coooouuuld have added vocals to it last year during the reunion? Sure hope they did.

As far as the other BW songs from this era, here's what I know of:

"This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight" (released as b-side of solo "Do It Again" single)
"In My Moondreams" (released on the album Pulp Surfin')
"Gettin' In Over My Head" (released in a rerecorded version on GIOMH)
"Desert Drive" (released with 2002 [?] vocal on GIOMH)
"Saturday Morning In The City" (released with rerecorded vocal on GIOMH)
"Sweets For My Sweet" (released on Till The Night Is Gone: A Tribute To Doc Pomus)
"This Could Be The Night" (absolutely awesome Nilsson cover, released on For The Love Of Harry: Everybody Sings Nilsson)
"Chain Reaction of Love"
"Mary Anne"
"Market Place"
"Proud Mary"
"Must Be A Miracle"
"I'm Broke"
"It's Not Easy Being Me"
"Slightly American Music"
"God Did It"
"Some Sweet Day"
"Frankie Avalon"
"Elbow '63"
"Goin' Home"
(not the song from TLOS)

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of 'em. Hope this helps.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »

Pretty sure "Moondreams" is much more Paley than Wilson. The released version of "Desert Drive" is a complete re-recording.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:54:04 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

Chain Reaction of Love is a fantastic song.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 08:59:08 PM »

The bootleg floating around is the same version as MIC, just faster, I'm fairly certain. And It's been confirmed by people who know that it's Carl with Matt Jardine on the high part.

This is not true. Brian's lead is different -- according to Alan Boyd, it was recut in 2000. The boot lead comes from at least five years before, and sounds it.

You're a great poster Wirestone, but I don't like seeing the wrong people getting credit. I'm pretty sure it was c-man who said when the lead is from, and it's actually 1999.

So c-man, any good news on having that sessionography out before Christmas?? I'm really looking forward to the day I get to check that out. However, I know the wait will be worth it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »

Well there are quite a few "Brian Wilson" songs from that era, mostly unreleased. It's pretty well known that most of the songs were apparently planned to be Beach Boys tunes, however only "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" were anywhere close to being complete with Beach Boys vocals. There is also one other tune with Beach Boys vocals, that song being "Baywatch Nights" aka "Dancin' the Night Away", which has a cool rockin' backing track and a nice vocal by Carl, followed by a really nice part by the group. However, it was never finished, as far as we know. However, I suppose they coooouuuld have added vocals to it last year during the reunion? Sure hope they did.

As far as the other BW songs from this era, here's what I know of:

"This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight" (released as b-side of solo "Do It Again" single)
"In My Moondreams" (released on the album Pulp Surfin')
"Gettin' In Over My Head" (released in a rerecorded version on GIOMH)
"Desert Drive" (released with 2002 [?] vocal on GIOMH)
"Saturday Morning In The City" (released with rerecorded vocal on GIOMH)
"Sweets For My Sweet" (released on Till The Night Is Gone: A Tribute To Doc Pomus)
"This Could Be The Night" (absolutely awesome Nilsson cover, released on For The Love Of Harry: Everybody Sings Nilsson)
"Chain Reaction of Love"
"Mary Anne"
"Market Place"
"Proud Mary"
"Must Be A Miracle"
"I'm Broke"
"It's Not Easy Being Me"
"Slightly American Music"
"God Did It"
"Some Sweet Day"
"Frankie Avalon"
"Elbow '63"
"Goin' Home"
(not the song from TLOS)

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of 'em. Hope this helps.
It still bugs me that a 1995-96 beach boys album of selections from this material didn't happen. A 1995 version of Getting In Over My Head with that Brian lead, and backing vocals from the full group could have been breathtaking.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 03:41:56 AM »

So c-man, any good news on having that sessionography out before Christmas?? I'm really looking forward to the day I get to check that out. However, I know the wait will be worth it.

Christmas-ish.  Smiley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 03:45:18 AM »

C-Man, if you get Adam to pull out the multitracks, listen to the background vocals of the chorus in isolation and write them down for us, I will send you both an Italian panettone as Xmas present.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 04:38:45 AM »

Christmas-ish.  Smiley

That's Christmas-ish this year ?  Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 03:45:44 AM »

C-Man, if you get Adam to pull out the multitracks, listen to the background vocals of the chorus in isolation and write them down for us, I will send you both an Italian panettone as Xmas present.

Although Adam has been helping me in other ways, I doubt I'll get him to pull out the multitracks. Alan maybe, but not Adam.
Wait, we ARE talking Marsland and Boyd, right? Or is it Jardine?  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 04:05:35 AM »

No - Adam Adamant, of course.  Smiley

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 01:52:08 AM »

The released version of "Desert Drive" is a complete re-recording.

VERY UNFORTUNATELY YES. The unreleased version has so much more drive. If I imagine that with a Mike lead on a 1996 BB album... the last of the car song classics!

Chain Reaction of Love is a fantastic song.

Rocks more than any song on TWGMTR, more creative than many of them.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 01:59:48 AM »

Although Adam has been helping me in other ways, I doubt I'll get him to pull out the multitracks. Alan maybe, but not Adam.
Wait, we ARE talking Marsland and Boyd, right? Or is it Jardine?  Smiley

Whoops! My bad, yes I meant Alan B!

Well yes, I was obviously referring to Adam Jardine!
Are you implying that he cannot simply walk to the vaults, get the tapes out, do what he wants to them, then share info on the Internet?
So what are the benefits of being a son of a beach then?!?

But alright, if you want to ask Alan Boyd I suppose we can exceptionally accept that..

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:08 AM »

"Desert Drive" has always amused me, by dint of its very existence. Why, you ask ?  Well, I recall an interview with Andy Paley in which he stated that one of his prime duties was to keep Brian from recycling old riffs...  Roll Eyes

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:54 AM »

LoL

Say, AGD, would you happen to know where the instrumental version of Your Imagination originates? That one w/ the 'da-da-da-dah-dum' scatting. Better than the album version, imo.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 04:06:22 AM »

LoL

Say, AGD, would you happen to know where the instrumental version of Your Imagination originates? That one w/ the 'da-da-da-dah-dum' scatting. Better than the album version, imo.

Better, perhaps - but too reminicent of the "Mentos" theme song, which is why the melody was changed to what it is today.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 04:41:36 AM »

"Desert Drive" with the Salt Lake City riff rules! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 07:47:08 PM »

Just finished listening , for the first time, to MIC from start to finish! no skipping tracks.   still a Mystery, in this context, jumped right out and grabbed me.  I,d listened to it casually but not in this context.   Wondering exactly when this was recorded in relationship to Soul Searching.   Reminds me of the 88 lp but has BB vocals.   apologize for not being up to speed on this but I'm really curious on the time frame and circumstances of this song.  what can you tell me?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

Recorded at the same time as SS, from the BW/Paley collaborations (95). BW lead on the MIC version is from a few years later, though. More deets can be found on this thread.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:21:43 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 10:23:36 PM »

Actually, I got a question which might be unanswerable by those on this board...

Why was the vocal re-recorded in 1999? I highly doubt that any Beach Boys work was in the pipeline. Perhaps the plan was to keep the instrumental track, and wipe the Boys backgrounds? Or perhaps there is another version with a wall-of-Brians instead of The Beach Boys, a la "Soul Searchin'"? I have to assume there was a reason he did this then.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:43:14 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 06:39:26 AM »

Actually, I got a question which might be unanswerable by those on this board...

Why was the vocal re-recorded in 1999? I highly doubt that any Beach Boys was in the pipeline. Perhaps the plan was to keep the instrumental track, and wipe the Boys backgrounds? Or perhaps there is another version with a wall-of-Brians instead of The Beach Boys, a la "Soul Searchin'"? I have to assume there was a reason he did this then.

I don’t think the precise reasoning for re-cutting the vocal in late 1999 is known. It was only after the set came out that we got the bit of information concerning when the vocal was re-cut. Apparently, the compilers didn’t even know about the re-cut lead vocal until they found it. (I’d be curious to know if they recorded over the original lead vocal, assuming this was all cut on analog tape; I would presume they wouldn’t erase the original vocal, but who knows?)

I would imagine it is more likely they were targeting a potential solo release of the song in late 1999. I recall that Brian had started cutting some stuff again with Andy Paley around 2000-2001 or so, but I don’t know if that had anything to do with the re-cutting the lead for “YSAM” in 1999. Not sure what kind of stuff Brian was recording at that stage. Thomas was out of the picture, and at that stage Brian was doing his little mini-tours in the US.

I’d also be curious to know if there were any Brian backing vocals cut at that 1999 session to “replace” BB backing vocals, if indeed he was toying with putting it out as a solo release.

Knowing how the BB’s and Brian have done stuff over the years, and how they have operated, while I’m sure there was some impetus and germ of an idea behind Brian re-cuting the vocal, I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a quick passing thought that motivated the recording rather than a firm, grandiose plan that was later abandoned. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx