gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:57:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Desper's "Recording the Beach Boys" Book  (Read 5354 times)
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »

Hi all,

This question is addressed to anybody, including the honorable Mr. Desper. I am writing an important paper about recording practices at the Beach Boys' home studio circa Sunflower/Surf's Up, and imagine that Mr Desper's book must be an invaluable resource. Unfortunately I missed the first printing, and have no idea where to find a copy - I am willing to pay! Does anybody know where the book is available now, whether in hard copy or online? Thanks so much
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:35:42 AM »

There was talk a while back of a revised and expanded edition coming out, but nothing else since. I would like a copy as well!

Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:07:46 AM »

How do you know the book is important if you haven't written it yet? LOL
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:15:31 AM »

I think I remember Steve saying a while back, he was planning to upload the book online.....

I've been after the book for a long time too......

that's one 'bible' needed in my 'holy' collection ..  Cool Guy

Rb
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »

Thanks for the helpful response, it's an important paper for school, smartass.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »

Thanks for the helpful response, it's an important paper for school, smartass.

Judging by what I've seen here, your only chance for obtaining this book anytime soon, is to find someone who will copy it for you;
I can't as I don't have it. Don't know anyone that does, as a matter of fact. Not even sure how much work would be involved in copying every page. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »

...while you're waiting, go into Stephen D's profile and select view last posts of this person; start skimming through and you should find a few threads that will get you started.

Scattered amongst these posts are some  links to archived threads/posts from a old BB website/board.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

Evrybody wants one...join the klub.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 03:23:18 PM »

Should I put mine up on eBay - along with a  Desper engineered "spatializer?"
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »

I'm certain you'll have no trouble selling it there! ( or here; is that permitted?)
If you do, please make certain you let us know. 
But why would you want to sell it? 

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

We'll I didn't realize there was this pent up demand.  I should try to sell it a week or two before Stephen prints up the second revised edition!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »

We'll I didn't realize there was this pent up demand.  I should try to sell it a week or two before Stephen prints up the second revised edition!

Will any of us currently on this board still be alive? ( oh, wait, most of us aren't as old/older than Stephen)
Just saying I don't think there's enough demand to make this a viable enterprise for Stephen to re-publish; especially as he has stated he marketed it originally as a limited run. 

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:39:57 PM »

I think everyone on this board would love to read anything Steve Desper has to say about the Beach Boys, engineering techniques, acoustical theory, and/or any other musical observations that he'd care to share with us. And I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of us would gladly buy a new version of his book in any format in which it appears. As excellent as the work of many of our fine authors and historians has proven to be (particularly in the past few years), people like Steve (and Ed Roach) are even more essential for their first-hand experiences and insights.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »

Yes!! I'll bid... or 'buy it now'...

glad to say 'nice 'package'...

Rb
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »

I think everyone on this board would love to read anything Steve Desper has to say about the Beach Boys, engineering techniques, acoustical theory, and/or any other musical observations that he'd care to share with us. And I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of us would gladly buy a new version of his book in any format in which it appears. As excellent as the work of many of our fine authors and historians has proven to be (particularly in the past few years), people like Steve (and Ed Roach) are even more essential for their first-hand experiences and insights.
I totally agree and I hope Mr Desper and Ed Roach are seeing these posts to realize how much we, and other beach boys fans would love to read anything they'd write on their experiences. And put me down for a copy as well, tally it up, perhaps it's worth bringing it back to another "generation."

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

I totally agree and I hope Mr Desper and Ed Roach are seeing these posts to realize how much we, and other beach boys fans would love to read anything they'd write on their experiences. And put me down for a copy as well, tally it up, perhaps it's worth bringing it back to another "generation."

YEah. And with all of us that's what,  MAYBE 100 copies?  ( people that would actually buy something and not complain " IT"S TOO MUCH" )
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:48:47 PM by bgas » Logged

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »

COMMENT:  The book will be available on-line as a study-video (both Sunflower and Surfs Up) as soon as we (at this end) can get it together and finally finish the publication. That's all I can say. Hang in there. The book is coming. It's worth the wait.

In the meantime enjoy the Beach Boy studies on >>> swdstudyvideos.com
   ~swd

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »

Thankyou! Steve!

Thankyou!

You are a great engineer! and the best The Beach Boys have had.

Cheers.

RickB
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »

Comment:   Well, I don't know about that, but each period in Beach Boy history has had a recording engineer that was approprate to the time.     ~swd
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 04:34:03 PM »

No Steve........

You had magic at your hands.... I dig that as do so many other fans........... you made the guys 'the best'........

im surprised they guys havnt come to you revitalise their status over the years.... no offense to mark linett

RickB
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »

Hey Steve.........

what happrend and why did you leave the Beach Boys............ I can't seem to get your book....

sorry if I am offending you....

Rb
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »

Rick - you might be interested in this post: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13537.msg304469.html#msg304469

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx