-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The horrors of the internet...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The horrors of the internet...  (Read 7031 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »

The internet is a scary thing in that it offers power to anyone who wants it. It is very important that we are aware of that fact and that there are people like the author of this article who are willing to do whatever it takes to fight that power. This is an incredible woman with an insane story.

http://jezebel.com/one-womans-dangerous-war-against-the-most-hated-man-on-1469240835

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »

I'm not usually into reading this kind of stuff, but the title of the thread intrigued me, so I continued checking it. I agree that the woman is incredible, didn't give up & finally won. Then again, at the risk of sounding soulless, let me say this: it's all her daughter's fault; if she didn't take that notorious picture of herself & upload it to the comp/mail, this case won't happen, in the 1st place. The detective was right when she directly asked the girl, "Why would you take a picture like this if you didn't want it on the Internet?" Indeed. But of course, as every mother/folks would do, they don't use their logic when it comes to their kids (even if grown) - they just blindly defend them. So yes, the victim should've been more responsible & cautious in order to prevent such stupid incident. And I thought everyone's aware of the danger Inet can cause sometimes.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »

I would hardly say it's the daughter's fault.

She took some pictures in the safety of her own home and sent them to her email for safe keeping. It's not like she asked for someone to hack into her email, steal her photos, and find out her personal details.

She didn't go out of her way to post the photo on the internet for others to see. It was stolen from her.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »

Plus there are so many victims of this sort of thing that did not originally take or consent to nude photos in the first place. There are examples in the article of women whose heads were photoshopped onto other bodies, and I actually knew girls in college who were taped in their dorm rooms without their knowledge and ended up on sites like this.

While it's probably never a good idea to take photos you wouldn't be comfortable with posting online, no one should be victimized like this. This woman isn't just blindly protecting her adult daughter who should have known better, she is fighting for the rights of victims of a horrible crime and protecting privacy rights for everyone.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »

Wow that was a great, if terrifying read. But I gotta disagree with RangeRover as well, it is in no way the daughter's fault.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 10:58:18 PM »

That kind of reminds me of the story of the Brian Wilson fan and her psycho husband.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »

Wow that was a great, if terrifying read. But I gotta disagree with RangeRover as well, it is in no way the daughter's fault.

It's not the daughter's fault, BUT she could have been a little smarter about the way she stored her photos, especially when she didn't intend for other eyes to see them.  Anything on a connected computer can potentially be hacked; everybody knows that.

It's bs that we live in a world like that, so we've got to protect ourselves.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:52:58 AM »

It's not the daughter's fault, BUT she could have been a little smarter about the way she stored her photos, especially when she didn't intend for other eyes to see them.  Anything on a connected computer can potentially be hacked; everybody knows that.
Affirmative! Although I don't get why you all keep on saying it's not the girl's fault, as it's clear like day & night that she & only she is guilty. 1st off, don't you think it's utterly idiotic to take pictures of yourself in indecent poses? It's not like she's a beauty queen; everyone who acts more or less realistically is able to understand that "there's always someone prettier" (quoting Charlize Theron herself), it's nothing of a surprise to have long legs, be fit, have nice face & so on. Just look around - there's 1000s & 1000s of girls like that. But alas, all of those photo-posers consider themselves special & are so conceited that a mere suggestion that they're not is followed by stubborn statement of the opposite. On 2nd point, to Amanda Hart, wouldn't it be so illogical to get upset over the photo where your face photoshopped onto other (half)nude body? You can always just say to your boss at work, "It isn't me". If he/she isn't blind, he or she will recognize the photoshop editing, usually it's very visible. I myself could care less about it. If I know the truth, why would I be upset, right? Believe me, if the boss & your colleagues see your confident & totally cool manners (because, well, it wasn't your body, just face?), it will soon be forgotten. Unfortunately, most of the victims have weak enough will & quickly give up & continue complaining & being depressed (over nothing, mind you).

Returning back to the 1st point, it's really sad to see more & more stuff like that, it's sort of a trend now. Instead of self-educating & learning lots of interesting things, the young girls concentrate their minds on posing with "pouting lips" & "falsely innocent look in their eyes". I feel sorry for them, as they have no value at all & fail at life. Losers in short. I think everyone will agree with me on that because it's obvious.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »

what can we learn from this boys and girls?

keep your clothes on......... 

problem solved.. Roll Eyes

Rb
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »

Whenever I read something on Jezebel I automatically root for the person they're telling me I'm supposed to hate, like in this instance my head is telling me that this guy is a piece of sh*t who should be punished, but on the other hand the fact that he pisses Jezebel off so much just instantly makes me like him.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »

2nd point, to Amanda Hart, wouldn't it be so illogical to get upset over the photo where your face photoshopped onto other (half)nude body? You can always just say to your boss at work, "It isn't me". If he/she isn't blind, he or she will recognize the photoshop editing, usually it's very visible. I myself could care less about it. If I know the truth, why would I be upset, right? Believe me, if the boss & your colleagues see your confident & totally cool manners (because, well, it wasn't your body, just face?), it will soon be forgotten. Unfortunately, most of the victims have weak enough will & quickly give up & continue complaining & being depressed (over nothing, mind you).

Returning back to the 1st point, it's really sad to see more & more stuff like that, it's sort of a trend now. Instead of self-educating & learning lots of interesting things, the young girls concentrate their minds on posing with "pouting lips" & "falsely innocent look in their eyes". I feel sorry for them, as they have no value at all & fail at life. Losers in short. I think everyone will agree with me on that because it's obvious.

I had a point I was going to make, but I don't think it'll do me any good. You're not going to come around to my way of thinking and I'm definitely not coming around to yours. Our differences are cultural here and an internet discussion isn't going to be the difference in how either of us views our generation and our gender.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 02:49:14 AM »

It's not the daughter's fault, BUT she could have been a little smarter about the way she stored her photos, especially when she didn't intend for other eyes to see them.  Anything on a connected computer can potentially be hacked; everybody knows that.
Affirmative! Although I don't get why you all keep on saying it's not the girl's fault, as it's clear like day & night that she & only she is guilty. 1st off, don't you think it's utterly idiotic to take pictures of yourself in indecent poses? It's not like she's a beauty queen; everyone who acts more or less realistically is able to understand that "there's always someone prettier" (quoting Charlize Theron herself), it's nothing of a surprise to have long legs, be fit, have nice face & so on. Just look around - there's 1000s & 1000s of girls like that. But alas, all of those photo-posers consider themselves special & are so conceited that a mere suggestion that they're not is followed by stubborn statement of the opposite.

Of course it's a silly thing to do, but that's not the point. She can do as many silly and pointless things as she wants to, as long as it all happens in the privacy of her own room/computer.

And of course there is a risk that your computer might be hacked one day, but then again, taking the bus instead of walking can also be risky. Doesn't mean the victim is the one to blame.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 12:06:14 AM »

ugh
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:08:59 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »

I had a point I was going to make, but I don't think it'll do me any good. You're not going to come around to my way of thinking and I'm definitely not coming around to yours. Our differences are cultural here and an internet discussion isn't going to be the difference in how either of us views our generation and our gender.
So you support those miserable girls who pose with the notion in mind "I'm the greatest!" making fake big lips, wearing mini-skirts & excessive make-up? It's really degrading to see such a low fall; I'm afraid they'll get lots of wrinkles rapidly, not to mention mini-skirts are out of fashion by now. For your 2nd sentence, I didn't get how cultural differences relate to this discussion. It's the same everywhere that wasting time on taking pictures of yourself in an indecent way is considered a bad thing. Can't believe the girl's mother said nothing to her after seeing that session. But anyway, you're right, Amanda, we aren't going to agree here.

And of course there is a risk that your computer might be hacked one day, but then again, taking the bus instead of walking can also be risky. Doesn't mean the victim is the one to blame.
Good point, you caught me on that - however, admit that ratio of walking:taking the bus is not similar to ratio of pictures are in safety:mailbox is hacked. Without having a look at statistics, one can say with certainty that every day people die from being hit by a vehicle, bitten by a dog or from other street trouble - all consequences of walking. Taking a bus may be risky if we deal with a robber - nowadays the modern buses are tackled with cameras & drivers don't let out the scoundrels until the final stop. So, again, it's all fault of the daughter.

2Mr. Waves: what means your response? A sign for being shameful of those lazy silly girls?

zachrwolfe
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:20:44 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »

This is plain wrong. With a talented photo manipulator, you would not be able to tell the difference. I struggle to believe that most people, upon hearing that there is a photoshopped picture of their face on a nude body on the internet, and realizing their job is on the line, would be able to remain cool and confident.
Very likely that you're right; I'm not into tech stuff, how all it works etc. But, whatever fake photo I've seen, I could quickly tell it from the natural shot. Maybe that was not photoshop-heavy, though. As for your 2nd point, I guess that's a psychological thing, i.e. if the woman knows she never posed in the nude right before the camera, she remembers that clear as a day, so what to worry about? Just say to a boss with a self-confident expression on your face, "That's not me". And pass him/her by on your way to your working place/corner/royally decorated cabinet.

musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »

This is plain wrong. With a talented photo manipulator, you would not be able to tell the difference. I struggle to believe that most people, upon hearing that there is a photoshopped picture of their face on a nude body on the internet, and realizing their job is on the line, would be able to remain cool and confident.
Very likely that you're right; I'm not into tech stuff, how all it works etc. But, whatever fake photo I've seen, I could quickly tell it from the natural shot. Maybe that was not photoshop-heavy, though. As for your 2nd point, I guess that's a psychological thing, i.e. if the woman knows she never posed in the nude right before the camera, she remembers that clear as a day, so what to worry about? Just say to a boss with a self-confident expression on your face, "That's not me". And pass him/her by on your way to your working place/corner/royally decorated cabinet.

Do you think your boss would simply accept that explanation? Photoshopped or not they will still be suspicious. As for the victim, it's not their fault that their pictures have been used for such purposes. By the time they find out, the picture(s) have probably been around for a long time. Just saying "That's not me" isn't going to fix everything.

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »

So you support those miserable girls who pose with the notion in mind "I'm the greatest!" making fake big lips, wearing mini-skirts & excessive make-up? It's really degrading to see such a low fall; I'm afraid they'll get lots of wrinkles rapidly, not to mention mini-skirts are out of fashion by now. For your 2nd sentence, I didn't get how cultural differences relate to this discussion. It's the same everywhere that wasting time on taking pictures of yourself in an indecent way is considered a bad thing. Can't believe the girl's mother said nothing to her after seeing that session. But anyway, you're right, Amanda, we aren't going to agree here.

The cultural differences I was referencing relate to how women's rights and sexuality are viewed in the culture we were raised in. I've personally never taken any kind of selfie, partly because I recognize the risk of capturing private moments in a digital format, but I believe in a woman's right to do that if she chooses. It's her body and she can dress it and display it however she wants and share it with whoever she wants.  These women did not give permission to anyone to post these pictures in a public forum and were victimized. While they should have been more cognizant of the risks, they were taken advantage of in a way that no one ever should be and they shouldn't have to worry about losing their jobs and reputations over the actions of some creep.

Imagine if a girl was walking down the street wearing a tube top and some guy comes along and rips it off. Do you consider that to be assault? Should she be charged with indecent exposure, even if she was not directly responsible for exposing herself in public? Was she asking for it by exposing so much skin in the first place? Do you think that the people who see her topless but did not see the man rip off her top will be understanding or will they be outraged? Does she even maintain the right to be embarrassed about it or should she just accept it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: