gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:27:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 211299 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 20, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »

Should be with us this month or next I seem to recall…

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »

My copies of stereo Today and Summer Days arrived yesterday - they sound fantastic!

Mark Linett's stereo mixes and Kevin Gray's mastering make for a winning combo - These albums have never sounded so good and it's really got me listening to the Beach Boys again (I'd kind of burned out a bit). I cannot wait for stereo Smiley Smile.

I only wish that Mr. Linett would create a stereo mix of Smile (is this possible?) so that Ananlogue Productions could give it the same treatment.

Mark - if you're reading this, would you care to comment on the chances of a stereo Smile? Perhaps in time for the 50th anniversary?!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:04:49 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 22, 2016, 04:13:50 AM »

The mono mix of Surfin' USA on the SACD sounds fantastic.  Great sonics, engaging - a hypnotising presentation, quite amazing and head turning for something I've heard many a time before.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 22, 2016, 05:09:29 AM »

the SACD's look really well packaged from images online.  Can't justify spendin' the dough on these yet after rebuying the mono/stereo releases from a few years back.  The SACD's no doubt are the better product, but gee, how many copies of surfer girl or little deuce coupe draws the line?....
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 22, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »

the SACD's look really well packaged from images online.  Can't justify spendin' the dough on these yet after rebuying the mono/stereo releases from a few years back.  The SACD's no doubt are the better product, but gee, how many copies of surfer girl or little deuce coupe draws the line?....

The differences in sound quality between the 2012 releases (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to) and the SACDs are night and day.  The 2012's sound very shrill and brittle to me, particularly the stereo portions.  The SACDs are probably the best these are ever going to sound on cd.  Not perfect, but very enjoyable.

The packaging is a huge difference as well.  The thin, flimsy covers of the 2012's are guaranteed to scuff up the cds in a short amount of time (and I hate eco-packs), while the SACD packaging is much more durable and friendly to the discs.

I'm not made of money, so I have made the decision to buy only certain ones.  When the next batch comes out (hopefully soon) I will certainly buy Sunflower right off, and then I'll see how I feel about the others at that time.

The only SACD I'm really on the fence about is Pet Sounds.  I already have the MFSL SACD of it and I think it sounds wonderful, but I have seen comments from some people that the AP is even better.  Thoughts, anyone? 
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 23, 2016, 03:03:17 AM »

The differences in sound quality between the 2012 releases (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to) and the SACDs are night and day.  The 2012's sound very shrill and brittle to me, particularly the stereo portions.  The SACDs are probably the best these are ever going to sound on cd.  Not perfect, but very enjoyable.

The packaging is a huge difference as well.  The thin, flimsy covers of the 2012's are guaranteed to scuff up the cds in a short amount of time (and I hate eco-packs), while the SACD packaging is much more durable and friendly to the discs.

I'm not made of money, so I have made the decision to buy only certain ones.  When the next batch comes out (hopefully soon) I will certainly buy Sunflower right off, and then I'll see how I feel about the others at that time.

The only SACD I'm really on the fence about is Pet Sounds.  I already have the MFSL SACD of it and I think it sounds wonderful, but I have seen comments from some people that the AP is even better.  Thoughts, anyone? 

As someone with all the SACDs so far (Bar Party!), I say they are ALL worth it. Pet Sounds is slightly better than the MFSL, but not enough to say buy it if you only want the stereo - obviously essential for the mono. Everything else is essential.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 23, 2016, 03:12:43 PM »

Rick - sell the CDs on ebay, then get the SACDs. You know you want to.

Or download one of the tracks in High Def from AP website, A/B against the CD then see what you think.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: July 03, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »

So Shut Down volume 2 is the only Beach Boys original LP I don't have on vinyl. I have a chance to buy the acoustic sounds STEREO version of shut down volume 2 at my local. Should I hold out for mono? I can only afford one of these as the prices are insane IMO (though I may feel different when I buy one  LOL )
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:19:59 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #708 on: July 08, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »

Finally got my Holland album in the mail.  Only took a year to receive it!   Razz  Just gave it a spot-listen in the SACD player and so far so good.  Interestingly, "We Got Love" (studio version) is present and accounted for but there is no mention of it anywhere in the liner notes or in the packaging. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 08, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »

Finally got my Holland album in the mail.  Only took a year to receive it!   Razz  Just gave it a spot-listen in the SACD player and so far so good.  Interestingly, "We Got Love" (studio version) is present and accounted for but there is no mention of it anywhere in the liner notes or in the packaging. 

You confused me.  When you said "album" I thought you meant vinyl.  But anyway, hows the sound?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #710 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »

You confused me.  When you said "album" I thought you meant vinyl.  But anyway, hows the sound?

Sound is pretty good.  SACD sounds as it should be.  The regular CD audio sounds fine as well, although the overall volume levels appear to be a tad lower than previous remasters of this album.  Glad I finally received this album.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 20, 2016, 07:43:39 AM »

Sound is pretty good.  SACD sounds as it should be.  The regular CD audio sounds fine as well, although the overall volume levels appear to be a tad lower than previous remasters of this album.  Glad I finally received this album.

That's a good thing - louder volume generally means the audio is more compressed and compromised to increase the perceived Loudness.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 25, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »

Anyone else get their copy of Smiley Smile yet?! I have the stereo vinyl. Only had time to give it a quick spin today but With Me Tonight really stood out - sounds awesome. Again, lovely pronounced bass.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 25, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »

Anyone else get their copy of Smiley Smile yet?! I have the stereo vinyl. Only had time to give it a quick spin today but With Me Tonight really stood out - sounds awesome. Again, lovely pronounced bass.

Yes, I got mine. It sounds incredible and almost like a different album than the Mono.
Mr Bones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 25, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »

I ordered the latest batch of LP's about a week ago and they haven't shipped yet, but they can't come soon enough. I have all the AP pressings up to Pet Sounds, and although I don't have much experience with other Beach Boys pressings, to me they are the best sounding LP's I own. They've really reinvigorated my love of the band. I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Stereo 'Today!' and 'Summer Days' are particularly impressive. I enjoyed the new mixes on C.D well enough but for some reason they really came alive on these latest pressings.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 25, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »

I ordered the latest batch of LP's about a week ago and they haven't shipped yet, but they can't come soon enough. I have all the AP pressings up to Pet Sounds, and although I don't have much experience with other Beach Boys pressings, to me they are the best sounding LP's I own. They've really reinvigorated my love of the band. I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Stereo 'Today!' and 'Summer Days' are particularly impressive. I enjoyed the new mixes on C.D well enough but for some reason they really came alive on these latest pressings.

Yes this is my experience too with stereo Today, SD&SN, Pet Sounds and Smiley - the best I've ever heard these albums sounding.

donbrhoden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 24, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »

Anybody else hear a pop/click in the first 1-2 seconds of Farmer's Daughter in the left channel? It is just before you can hear someone in the band make a noise. This click is not in the 1990,2001, or 2012 releases. I wonder if it is just my copy or a flaw in all of them....
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx