gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:43:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 211333 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 04, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »

Thanks so much for the additional info on your system, Stephen. Six 10 inch subs with an 18 inch one octave lower "super low sub" plus Aura bass shakers in the seats - that's gotta provide for an amazing experience.

To be more specific on the repair of my JBL LE-25 tweeters, I did get them reconed twice. The JBL repair part is called a "diaphragm repair kit" and includes the voice coil attached to the tweeter diaphragm cone and it's surround, so when it was done they called it "re-diaphragming". Your suggestion of a 1.25 - 1.5 fast blow fuse is an excellent one.

Hope you do post some photos of your system in the Desper thread. If you're up for it, I'd also love to learn more about the evolution of your recording/playback matrix, from it's early days through the Spacializer devices, but I'll save that question for a post at a later time in the Desper thread.

One more question for now. I recall you stating that Altec speakers, I think 803B's, were used in Brian's home studio, as they were his favorites. Due to their size, were those in the recording studio proper, with different monitors in your control booth, for example 4310's or 4311's in there?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: October 05, 2015, 06:42:39 AM »

Thanks so much for the additional info on your system, Stephen. Six 10 inch subs with an 18 inch one octave lower "super low sub" plus Aura bass shakers in the seats - that's gotta provide for an amazing experience.

To be more specific on the repair of my JBL LE-25 tweeters, I did get them reconed twice. The JBL repair part is called a "diaphragm repair kit" and includes the voice coil attached to the tweeter diaphragm cone and it's surround, so when it was done they called it "re-diaphragming". Your suggestion of a 1.25 - 1.5 fast blow fuse is an excellent one.

Hope you do post some photos of your system in the Desper thread. If you're up for it, I'd also love to learn more about the evolution of your recording/playback matrix, from it's early days through the Spacializer devices, but I'll save that question for a post at a later time in the Desper thread.

One more question for now. I recall you stating that Altec speakers, I think 803B's, were used in Brian's home studio, as they were his favorites. Due to their size, were those in the recording studio proper, with different monitors in your control booth, for example 4310's or 4311's in there?

COMMENT:  Most people simply do not realize how much power-to-move-air is required for clean, quick, and solid bass. The six subs, powered by 900 watts, is about the right match for the JBL 4311's. These are studio monitors and as such are very efficient. I can play them so loud it is uncomfortable, so the bass extension by an octave has to keep up with that. This takes power and surface area. The 18" crosses over at 40 Hz as do the accelerometers. They are just for movies. I like action movies, so when the space ships fly over, or the bombs go off, I want to experience that energy -- and I do.   

Your question concerning the house studio monitors and other monitors used in the making of BB records during my oversight is answered in detail in part two of my book. It will be out this winter, I hope.

Tweeter Help . . .

JBL Speaker Information >>> http://www.oaktreevintage.com/JBL_Speaker_Parts.htm

JBL 4311 Tweeter replacements (you need EL-25) For Sale  >>> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR6.TRC2.A0.H1.XJBL+4311.TRS0.G%7C1%7C0&_nkw=jbl+4311&_sacat=0

Good Luck!
~swd
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 14, 2015, 02:27:42 AM »

So, can I get a double check on Scott Nangle for the SACDs? I remember at least one member here ordered theirs from him successfully, but I just want to confirm this before I order ASL/BBT/SDSN/PS (I'm skipping Party!... for now).

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 14, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »

I bought my Surfin' Safari SACD from Scott and it arrived just fine. Service was swift, packaging fine. I still have the Holland LP and SACD on order from him… no date for those from AP yet though.

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 15, 2015, 04:41:51 PM »

I've ordered all the AP stuff from Scott and had no problems.  I ordered "All Summer Long" and "Party" last night and he mailed them this morning!  In my experience he's a good guy and reliable. Grin
Carl Forever
Smiley Smile Associate

yabba dabba do

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: October 18, 2015, 02:55:51 AM »

Check ESQ's Facebook page, I want to say I saw some of these new releases autograped as part of the big giveaways they are having. No entry needed, if you have a subscription then your already entered!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 18, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »

Received all five new SACDs from Diverse Vinyl in Newport, UK, this week… took about five days to arrive. Slower than Scott but bought on price alone - delivery was gratis. Fastest delivery was from Analogue Sounds for four of the first clutch of five - two working days from the USA! – but customs and delivery made the price hurt.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 18, 2015, 11:35:50 AM »

… and I should add a sincere "thank you very very very very very VERY much" to Alan Smith for the tip about DV. On the other side of the planet but he knows UK music retailers better than I…

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 03, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »

My pleasure, John!

Ok, lads - time to check under your car seats/couch cushions for spare change, or enlist in medical experiments etc, as the next clutch of mono vinyl is expected to ship on 20 November.

Listing here (just ignore Smiley Smile, that's up next year's sleeve), including Party to compliment the current Party feast before us.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys%2Cvinyl%2Cmono&labelid=507&status=Pre%20Order

Head Spin

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 04, 2015, 10:40:40 PM »

My pleasure, John!

Ok, lads - time to check under your car seats/couch cushions for spare change, or enlist in medical experiments etc, as the next clutch of mono vinyl is expected to ship on 20 November.

Listing here (just ignore Smiley Smile, that's up next year's sleeve), including Party to compliment the current Party feast before us.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys%2Cvinyl%2Cmono&labelid=507&status=Pre%20Order

Head Spin

Thanks for the update, Alan. While the forthcoming AP SACDs and LPs have been delayed from their originally stated release dates, from a cash flow standpoint it's actually a bonus ... but that being said I'm really looking forward to the rest of the releases.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 05, 2015, 02:06:43 AM »

Thanks for the update, Alan. While the forthcoming AP SACDs and LPs have been delayed from their originally stated release dates, from a cash flow standpoint it's actually a bonus ... but that being said I'm really looking forward to the rest of the releases.

Hey Custom - me too, although (and we're talking First World probs here) we're spoiled for choice this christmas to further deplete the readies:
- various Dylan bootleg vol 12 sets
- various Beatles "1" remastered sets
- BB mono vinyl (and the first batch of pesky SACDs)
- Party Uncovered etc
- BW RSD releases
- XTC Blu Ray Audios
- a new album from The Chills
- a whole load of other sh*t I can't be bothered to remember

May the dance begin.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: November 05, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »

Just received letters that I get money back from natural gas and electricity pre-payments that adds up to the sum required to buy all mono LPs from Surfin' Safari through All Summer Long. Yay!
w00t!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
amnesiac
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 16, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »

The vinyl prices will be raised $5 each beginning next year. There's a 15% discount running on the Acoustic Sounds website, but it's only for in-stock titles so I wouldn't be surprised if it expired before the new titles release.

(image taken from Steve Hoffman Forums)

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 17, 2015, 01:17:59 AM »

The vinyl prices will be raised $5 each beginning next year. There's a 15% discount running on the Acoustic Sounds website, but it's only for in-stock titles so I wouldn't be surprised if it expired before the new titles release.

(image taken from Steve Hoffman Forums)

sh*t...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 19, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »

The five newest mono LPs -  ASL, T!, SD(&SN!), BBP!, and PS will be available Tues Nov. 24.

Unfortunately, that's 2 days after the Acoustic Sounds 15% off sale ends.

The stereo LP versions are now stated to be coming in December.

The good news is that means all 8 LPs will be available before the US $5 price increase on in January, for a total savings of $40.

The bad news is that you have to spend $240 to save the 40 bucks.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 05, 2015, 12:29:07 PM »

Has anyone else purchased the new Analogue Productions "Beach Boys Party!" mono LP? I was expecting the sheet of 15 full color fan photos, but none was included.

I just sent them the following email:

The Analogue Productions Mono LP I received of "Beach Boys Party!" does not contain the perforated card stock sheet of "15 Full Color Fan Photos Free Inside" as stated on the front cover. Please send me that sheet.

If for some reason all your reproduction Beach Boys Party LPs were inadvertently manufactured without this sheet, please rectify this oversight and sent me the missing sheet of 15 Full Color Fan Photos.

(Note: These fan photos were included all Capitol pressings of this LP album, except for the early 1980's budget re-release. In the case of the budget re-release, the cover statement that 15 free fan photos were included was removed and replaced with a picture. I am certain that Analogue Productions would want to include this card stock sheet in their high quality LP reproduction. This card stock sheet which was perforated on the original pressings, but the perforations were replaced by small black dots when the LP was reissued by Capitol in 1994.)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: December 07, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »

Thanks for the tip, it did save me at least a bit of money. But they charged US$49 for shipping and handling! I think they screwed me with that. At least the 5 first mono vinyl albums arrived quite quickly, in less than a week. I had preferred to pay only like 10 bucks and have the stuff arrive in the new year...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 17, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »

Nice review of the new mono Analogue Productions Pet Sounds LP. I think he likes it…

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 17, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »

Nice review of the new mono Analogue Productions Pet Sounds LP. I think he likes it…

Here's the link: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/pet-sounds-analogue-productions#FqRr6ZOFxFIAxMfi.99

Michael Fremer: "Pet Sounds belongs in every serious rock record collection and if you're going to have but one version this one from Analogue Productions is the one to have."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 17, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »

Blimey, apologies for forgetting to add the link… and thanks for adding, Custom Machine, appreciated!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 17, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »

Just received the Winter 2015 ESQ today. Lee Dempsey has some very informative comments in his review of the second wave of Analogue Productions SACDs, where he compares them to previous issues.

One thing Lee didn't do, and I wish he would have, was to compare the SACD layer of these new reissues to the CD layer. In my personal experience I've found that just about any the difference I've felt I heard between the SACD layer and the CD layer on the same disc disappeared when the layers were played back without me knowing which one I was listening to and I was required to consistently correctly identify which layer was which.

And, as Lee mentions, why does Today have such a recessed sonic signature, almost like it was recorded in a tub? The original Duophonic mix is far too reverberant, but the original mono mix sounds very similar in that respect as well, almost like they folded the Duophonic down to mono. Fortunately the modern stereo remixes, especially of Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me Baby, are a huge improvement over the original 1965 mono mix and it's Duophonic counterpart.

Lee mentions he prefers the 2012 stereo release of Today over the stereo on new Kevin Gray SACD, a comparison I'll have to make this weekend.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:39:14 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: December 18, 2015, 01:18:52 AM »

Which mixes are the stereo LPs of Today! and SD/SN? The original Duophonic ones or the recent digital stereo mixes?

I'd love to have the mono All Summer Long LP too, but they say it's $25 shipping to Germany... does anybody know a way to get it for less than $55?

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 18, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »

I'd love to have the mono All Summer Long LP too, but they say it's $25 shipping to Germany... does anybody know a way to get it for less than $55?

Try jpc.de:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/the-beach-boys-all-summer-long/hnum/6877116
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »

Try jpc.de:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/the-beach-boys-all-summer-long/hnum/6877116

Sold! I mean, I ordered it from there right away. It's only $40.12 given the current exchange rate instead of $55.96 including credit card fees. Remind me to buy you a beer when I get to Berlin next time. Danke! Smiley

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 18, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »

I was wondering, does the Pet Sounds mono SACD and mono LP sound the same/similar? I have the SACD, but still prefer the CATP/PS Artisan pressing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.