gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:57:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 213219 times)
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 14, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

Custom Machine,

What is your take on the difference between the AP CDs and the 2012 ones? I haven't seen anyone really mention that.

I obviously have already ordered the vinyl versions but wouldn't mind having the digital versions of they were that much superior to the 2012 release.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 14, 2015, 04:10:23 PM »

So can we take inventory here? Who has the mono/stereo SACD of what albums?

I think I might buy a new SACD player (Oppo BDP-103D) to play the stereo versions if reviews are favorable.
Mikie,  I don't have any of the SACD Beach Boys, but have many Hybrid SACD discs (Stones, Dylan ect.) - the SACD layer does indeed sound better.  When I do buy one it will be Pet Sounds, then decide where to go from there.  Last I looked that was coming in August.

What I really want to add is about the Oppo players.  I've bought three of them, currently have two hooked up:  BDP-93, to a Denon AVR-2309CI.  And the one you are looking at, BDR-103 to a Denon AVR-3312CI.

I bought the 103 when it first came out in late 2012, and have had zero problems.  For the extra $100 you can get the Darbee chip on the newer models, but the player is the same 103.  The Darbee chip gets mixed reviews, and will only help on the video end.  I'm not sure how much more depth you can get.  When I play something as high quality as the Lord of the Rings Blu-ray set, the image is fantastic - I can't imagine how much better the Darbee chip could make it look, it's 3D quality depth.  I have a 3D Panasonic Viera, but don't use it as such...it does make me feel dizzy LOL.  Maybe the monitor helps to get that depth, don't know.  My computer is also 3D capable, but I feel I got too wrapped up with the 3D craze back in 2012 when I was upgrading everything.  Anyway, since the 103 is the same with or without the Darbee chip, I'd just go with the regular 103 - unless you want to spend the extra $100.

With the new Beach Boys titles, I'm just not sure yet.  I bought most of the 2012 Cd releases, and I'm happy with the original vinyl - 180 gram is a myth.  I'd be jumping quicker for Blu-ray, that matters big time.  So far that's only Pet Sounds, right?  

Thank you very much for that feedback, Feelflows! YOU are the guy I want to talk to because I, too, have a Denon 3312 AVR with the Oddessy and I love it! I have a SONY Blu-ray player and a Panasonic BDP 220 that plays DVD's and MKV and MP4 Blu-Ray and 3d movie files and CD's but the only thing I'm missing is the SACD capability! Thanks for the advice on the Darbee chip - was wondering about that also. Sounds like the Oppo 103 is the way to go.

Then there's the 4K video variable. If this thing will be exstinked soon, wonder if I should hold out for the next model.......

Naw, I'll look into the 103 I think.  Thanks again for taking the time, Feelflows! 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 14, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »

I demand that Capitol release SURF'S UP with "4th of July" and "WIBNTLA" as bonus cuts, plus full instrumental and vocal credits.

Let's get some comments from all the guys, especially Bruce sharing memories of what a great friendship he had with Jack Rieley.

Wait...you say I'm in a position to demand nothing? Oh, OK.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 14, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »

Custom Machine,

What is your take on the difference between the AP CDs and the 2012 ones? I haven't seen anyone really mention that.

I obviously have already ordered the vinyl versions but wouldn't mind having the digital versions of they were that much superior to the 2012 release.

Great question, and I have not yet made that comparison.  I'll have to get to it soon, and I hope others do as well.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 14, 2015, 09:09:04 PM »

I've got the first five and they sound wonderful, but I haven't yet bothered to listen to the SACD layer, just the traditional CD layer. 

If you're in the market for a Blu-ray/SACD player, you definitely can't go wrong with an Oppo. 

As for me, I have four Sony Blu-ray players that play SACDs.  Two are hooked up to home theater systems, but my main listening room and ancillary listening rooms, as opposed to primarily video watching rooms, don't have the ability to play the SACD layer.  Personally, as long as we're talking about the exact same recording and mastering job, as is the case with these tracks, I've found any benefit to be heard from the SACD layer falls into the psychic gratification category more so than an discernible difference in sound quality compared to a standard res CD.  The result is that I don't go out of my way to purchase SACDs and any SACDs I own are hybrid CD/SACDs, which do give you the opportunity to compare both layers, and better yet, have someone play the various layers without advising you which one you're listening to as you attempt to identify which layer is playing.  (Ideally, such a listening session would be double blind, to remove any verbal bias, either intentional or unintentional, which might be imparted from the person in charge of playing the various layers.  And then you have to do it a ton of times to make it statistically significant.  Or you could just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music, which is going to sound great coming from either layer, and may well seem to sound better to you if you know it's coming from the high res SACD layer.)

Good post right there.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 15, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »

I bought these mainly for the mastering, not necessarily for the SACD layer. If you like the way the old albums sound, then you'll like these re-issues. I feel lucky because I like the 2001 remasters, just for the clarity of the vocals. Now with having both, it's like that old saying, I can "have my cake and eat it too".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 16, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »

So can we take inventory here? Who has the mono/stereo SACD of what albums?

I think I might buy a new SACD player (Oppo BDP-103D) to play the stereo versions if reviews are favorable.
Mikie,  I don't have any of the SACD Beach Boys, but have many Hybrid SACD discs (Stones, Dylan ect.) - the SACD layer does indeed sound better.  When I do buy one it will be Pet Sounds, then decide where to go from there.  Last I looked that was coming in August.

What I really want to add is about the Oppo players.  I've bought three of them, currently have two hooked up:  BDP-93, to a Denon AVR-2309CI.  And the one you are looking at, BDR-103 to a Denon AVR-3312CI.

I bought the 103 when it first came out in late 2012, and have had zero problems.  For the extra $100 you can get the Darbee chip on the newer models, but the player is the same 103.  The Darbee chip gets mixed reviews, and will only help on the video end.  I'm not sure how much more depth you can get.  When I play something as high quality as the Lord of the Rings Blu-ray set, the image is fantastic - I can't imagine how much better the Darbee chip could make it look, it's 3D quality depth.  I have a 3D Panasonic Viera, but don't use it as such...it does make me feel dizzy LOL.  Maybe the monitor helps to get that depth, don't know.  My computer is also 3D capable, but I feel I got too wrapped up with the 3D craze back in 2012 when I was upgrading everything.  Anyway, since the 103 is the same with or without the Darbee chip, I'd just go with the regular 103 - unless you want to spend the extra $100.

With the new Beach Boys titles, I'm just not sure yet.  I bought most of the 2012 Cd releases, and I'm happy with the original vinyl - 180 gram is a myth.  I'd be jumping quicker for Blu-ray, that matters big time.  So far that's only Pet Sounds, right?  

Thank you very much for that feedback, Feelflows! YOU are the guy I want to talk to because I, too, have a Denon 3312 AVR with the Oddessy and I love it! I have a SONY Blu-ray player and a Panasonic BDP 220 that plays DVD's and MKV and MP4 Blu-Ray and 3d movie files and CD's but the only thing I'm missing is the SACD capability! Thanks for the advice on the Darbee chip - was wondering about that also. Sounds like the Oppo 103 is the way to go.

Then there's the 4K video variable. If this thing will be exstinked soon, wonder if I should hold out for the next model.......

Naw, I'll look into the 103 I think.  Thanks again for taking the time, Feelflows! 

No problem Mikie, hope you join the world of Oppo fans.  Couple of things I'll add:  They don't change model numbers to be trendy, the 103 was the next model after the 93.  The first one I had was not a Blu-ray, so I gave it to a friend.  And, though I've had no problems with my 103 in the two and a half years since buying, I did have a bit of a problem with the 93's mechanism that loads the disc after over two years of service - they fixed it for free (out of warranty).  I paid shipping to them, and they paid the return shipping.  I've never had any other manufacturer do that.  They take a lot of pride in their product.  They also answer their phone on first try if you do have a question.  As far as when their next model is due to be released, I'm not sure.  Give them a call and ask.

Custom Machine and drbeachboy,  Could you guys give us more information on how much better the mastering is compared to the 2012 editions they are based on?  I can see the benefit of getting the SACD layer, but you guys are talking up the traditional/standard layer.  The 2012's sound very good on my system.  I have six of the USA releases, but none of the Japanese counterparts.  Those Japanese releases had some problems that were fixed for the USA releases - Smiley Smile, being the worst offender.  The Japan manufacturers almost always do it better.  I am a fan of SHM and Hitoshi Takiiguchi's mastering for Universal Music, Japan Division.  They do 24-bit re-masters of titles nobody else will bother with.  I bought all of the Garfunkel albums - Japan being the only place in the world his catalogue was ever re-mastered.  Those were re-mixed by Davlen Studios & Sound Labs in Los Angeles and mastered in London and the USA.  Sony Japan put those on Blu-spec Cd.  These were not used on Garfunkel's the singer, that mastering was done by Vic Anesini, Bob Irwin and Matt Craig in New York.  Boy, do the Japan titles sound better - no blind tests needed.  And this is beginning to look like a Hoffman's post.

I mention this because sound does matter.  I trust the work done in Japan.  Victor Entertainment, Japan, also does stellar work with their K2 HD+HQ mastering.  I do not own any of the Analogue Production discs, and would like to hear more about them before investing.  I do have many of the Raven Records Compact discs done in Australia - they do great re-masters.  Sundazed is who I trust the most in America.

The vinyl is a whole other story.  I've collected for so long (Japan, Germany, UK, ect.), I don't need them.  Could these be better than the finest cutting houses back in the 80's, even the 90's?  I can understand the folks wanting them if they never had the opportunity to get those...But really, are they better than those?  I stopped buying new vinyl that was produced after 1997 - that was McCartney's Flaming Pie, released only in the UK.  By then most releases had to be two-record sets to keep up with the amount of material on Cds.  Also by then, you had to sometimes deal with returning, or living with, pops and deformities after spending $50 per title.  I sure gave a thought to buying No Pier Pressure vinyl... before reading post after post of problems with "The Last Song."  I see some of you are having problems with the AP records as well.  Returning/dealing with it through the mail system...that just sucks.  In my area only B&N (trying to stay alive) and small independents are stocking anything.  Best Buy doesn't anymore.  Folks in big cities fair better I guess.  And like many of you, I still have sealed copies of all the 70's Beach Boys titles as they went into cut-out bins.  And what a heyday we had back in the early 90's when all vinyl was dumped to the far side of stores for $3 a pop - that's probably the very records they are selling on ebay for big bucks now, sealed.  Or even better, when Japan would hit economic hard times and product would flood into shops in San Francisco, Berkeley (for me), and other big cities in America and Europe.  All those Beatles records from Japan and Europe were sooo easy to get in the 80's.  Beach Boys too - they were even easier to get.  I have one of the Spanish McCartney Unplugged vinyl - only released that one place in the world, The Beatles BBC, I have both the UK and USA vinyl (now re-released, I went with just the re-mastered Cd versions).  So I will continue to share in the excitement that many of you are having getting all the AP releases, but will take a pass.

Okay I'll stop, but let's do discuss the quality of the AP Cd releases more.         

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 17, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »

I've been through four vinyl copies of NPP. Playback sonics are absolutely fine on every track except for "The Last Song". On each of the four copies I've had, all from Amazon, the listening experience for "The Last Song" has been seriously marred by from about 50 to 100 (varies with each of the copies I've had) medium to very loud clicks and pops. Comparing the four discs, the clicks and pops are not all in the exact same location, nor do they start at the same point in the song.

Has anyone reading this received a vinyl copy of NPP without any issues on "The Last Song"? If so, where did you purchase it from?

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »

Has anyone reading this received a vinyl copy of NPP without any issues on "The Last Song"? If so, where did you purchase it from?

The NPP vinyl I received from the BW.com store (livenation/fanfire) plays fine without any pops/clicks, but the tacklisting is totally different, it doesn't match the CD version or what's listed on the BW.com store page either.  Going on memory, The Last Song is somewhere in the middle, and the bonus tracks are randomly placed in different places throughout the four sides.  I don't have it with me at the moment but can post the TL later on if interested.  Took me about a month+ to receive it too, after going back and forth with LiveNation's customer support.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 18, 2015, 11:21:28 AM »

The NPP vinyl I received from the BW.com store (livenation/fanfire) plays fine without any pops/clicks, but the tacklisting is totally different, it doesn't match the CD version or what's listed on the BW.com store page either.  Going on memory, The Last Song is somewhere in the middle, and the bonus tracks are randomly placed in different places throughout the four sides.  I don't have it with me at the moment but can post the TL later on if interested.  Took me about a month+ to receive it too, after going back and forth with LiveNation's customer support.

Great to hear that you got a vinyl copy that plays fine.

Yeah, the vinyl track listing is quite different from the CD version. I presume this was done so that each of the four sides is not overly long or short compared to the others, but the reality is that there is so much potential free space on each of the four vinyl sides that there really was no need to mess with the tracks in the way that was done. "The Last Song" has, as you stated, has the most bizarre placement in this regard, in that it's the last song on side 3 (officially labeled "Side C") rather than the last song on the album, despite the fact that BW himself has stated that the album ends with "The Last Song".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 18, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »

Great to hear that you got a vinyl copy that plays fine.

Yeah, the vinyl track listing is quite different from the CD version. I presume this was done so that each of the four sides is not overly long or short compared to the others, but the reality is that there is so much potential free space on each of the four vinyl sides that there really was no need to mess with the tracks in the way that was done. "The Last Song" has, as you stated, has the most bizarre placement in this regard, in that it's the last song on side 3 (officially labeled "Side C") rather than the last song on the album, despite the fact that BW himself has stated that the album ends with "The Last Song".

They should probably release a special edition vinyl , call it  Brian's Cut or something similar and then just leave side 4 blank...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »

Check out a few photos I just took! These look great. Photographs can barely capture what I'm seeing.
http://imgur.com/a/2auB6
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 19, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »

Lovely!   Grin

If only we had a lovely box to put them in (like The Beatles in Mono/Stereo vinyl).   Undecided
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 20, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »

Ok, last night I listened to the first three albums first in mono then in stereo.

Gear notes:

- AT LP120 with the Shure M97xe cartridge and standard needle (N.B. it's a "warm" cartridge). Tracking force at the recommended 1.25g.  

- ART DJPre II preamp (I had the internal preamp torn out as suggested by various audiophile forums)

- Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers

- Yamaha RX-V577 Receiver

Surfin' Safari:  It's not my favorite album, but I do appreciate the innocence and the formula discovery process.  However, I do think Side 2 is very enjoyable and "Summertime Blues" is a favorite of mine.  

- Wow, the treble is so clean and sharp.  The guitar strums on "Summertime Blues" definitely demonstrate this.  The drumming definitely pops out; so much clarity in Dennis's ticking. Vocals are what I'd expect but "County Fair" had an eery quality because of how life-like it sounded. It seems like Nick and that woman are right there. Very good sounding and realistic.

Surfin' USA (Mono):  I'll need to re-listen to this for sure because I love the album and I'll see if I can report anything worthwhile.  Nothing revealing but again, just a good clean sounding record with plenty of clarity and the perfect amount of warmth. I think the cartridge really helps take away some of the trebly, grainy sounds typically present in the digital versions I have which can become a bit fatiguing to listen to after awhile.  With that said, these mono albums sound great. I have always appreciated the BB's mono mixes because they're Brian's work; however, to me they have always seemed squeezed (digital versions as my reference) and distant. There is plenty of breathing room in these mixes and plenty of ability to pick up different parts in the stack especially in the non-double tracked backing harmonies.  You can definitely hear the humanity and the "just starting out" aspects which is really endearing.

Surfin' USA (Stereo): I cannot even begin to explain how amazing this sounded.  I love Chuck's stereo mixes after hearing these records. I have the 2012 versions and when I first heard them (over headphones) they sounded artificial or gimmicky. I reverted to the mono mixes for the most part except for the times when I was in the mood to hear a panned lead guitar riff, etc.  Anyways, I finally "get" the Chuck mixes and why AP wanted to just release the stereo versions.  The stereo spread makes this album rock harder, IMO, and the space really allows for the songs to envelope you.  Take "Noble Surfer" and it feels like you are listening to them live in your garage or something.   You also get to hear what a mean guitar combo Carl and Dave where.  The hard panned guitar solo on "Shut Down" sounds so lifelike and so much nuance is made available.  "Noble Surfer" is mostly two rhythm parts panned hard left and right respectively. Combined, with the centered, rollicking bass line, you've got a pseudo punk song with so much detail made available in the strumming techniques and the iconic, cerebral Beach Boys reverb settings bring it all home for me.

Surfer Girl (Mono):  The title track speaks volumes to the quality and care of these pressings.  "Surfer Girl" has way more "punch" that I've ever heard it have with plenty of space and clarity.  "In My Room," and "Catch a Wave" are no exception.  I was a bit disappointed with "Little Deuce Coupe" since it's one of my favorite car songs. I wish it had had more bass to it.  I'm referring to the mono digital versions that I have and enjoy, and even though as a whole everything sounds "squished," the bass is mixed so loud and really helps moves the song along. Here, maybe because there is more breathing room, the bass suffers a bit. Regardless, it's tough to find complaints.

Surfer Girl (Stereo):  Those panned harmonies really do pay off and sound great.  "Catch a Wave," "Our Car Club," and "Surfers Rule" are probably the best stereo mixes on the album if I had to choose (they sound great in mono too of course).  "Rocking Surfer" also benefits from stereo separation and that organ/lead guitar hard panned combo really do kick ass.  And finally, "Your Summer Dream" sounds fantastic in stereo as well.  The panning and the quality make you feel as if all the guys and their girls are on the beach at sunset sitting in a circle enjoying the evening. You can imagine Dave(?) strumming along on one side while Brian is on the opposite side singing away.

Final Notes:

- The mono versions sound great and finally I can hear non-crunched sounding versions of the songs.  
   - Chuck Britz is the man! In my book, he has definitely cut the lead that Mr. Desper has had in terms of my favorite BB engineer.  Wow, those mixes sound great and I had definitely discounted them because of the odd panning choices at times.  
   - I think these stereo versions will be my go-to versions while listening at home. With that said, I will definitely stick the mono versions into the rotation just because they sound that good and do pack way more of a punch than the tinny versions I'm used to hearing.  Chuck does a great job highlighting the individual instrument playing especially of Carl and Dave.  That separation of the two guitarists combined with the vocal spread really make these sound in your face and "live."  They rhythm guitar has never sounded so "mean" and the lead guitar has never sounded so sharp. These are definitely required listening for how to make a good stereo mix with limited tracks and options and if you don't have the "Desper method" of re-amping inputs to create a natural stereophonic environment.
-These definitely provide plenty of clarity but have the perfect amount of warmth and are non-fatiguing for sure. I'd love to needle drop these tracks using my cartridge after hearing them over headphones as well.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:12:28 PM by dcowboys107 » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 20, 2015, 12:46:03 PM »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I have these LPs too and always enjoy hearing what others think of them.  It's amazing to think  that after the time that has passed those masters can still sound so wonderful. Grin
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 21, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »

Custom Machine is right --when the recording and mastering are the same -- the differences are not that obvious.  And your mind can play tricks on you.

Hi Res audio is certainly better, but's whether you can hear it depends on a lot.  Sometimes I hear the benefits by focusing in on certain details... reverb decay, bass... yet other times I hear it when not focusing at all -- and suddenly the music just grabs me more.  And frankly, this is best way to appreciate it -- not focusing.  Things just seem and feel more real.  Focusing on the details can actually make those benefits disappear, since those details are usually more a product of mastering/EQ/recording, etc.

There's a reason why Hi-Def TV took off but HD Audio hasn't.  Seeing is believing.  While people see the benefits of surround sound and sub-woofers and iPods and streaming services -- I don't think they can definitively hear the benefits of HD Audio.  Even audiophiles struggle with it sometimes.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »

As I have stated earlier, I have only listened to the CD Layer of these new Hybrid discs, but I definitely hear mastering differences between these discs and 2001 and 2012 offerings. Actually I hear differences between the 2001 and 2012 offerings. These hybrids sound like the old original LPs. A bit more clear, but they are not loud and they are not bright. Though they are close to the 1990 discs, I prefer these hybrids over those due to the clarity. The no-noise ruined the 1990 discs. It sucked the power out of most the tracks on those albums. I love the 2001 remasters too, if only for opening up the vocals; the whole reason why The Beach Boys are my favorite band. At this point, I am thankful to have two ways to listen and get maximum enjoyment. Overall so far, AP has done right on these first five releases. I figure if the hybrids sound great on the CD Layer alone, then SACD layer is at least the same or better.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:19:22 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »

As I have stated earlier, I have only listened to the CD Layer of these new Hybrid discs, but I definitely hear mastering differences between these discs and 2001 and 2012 offerings. Actually I hear differences between the 2001 and 2012 offerings. These hybrids sound like the old original LPs. A bit more clear, but they are not loud and they are not bright. Though they are close to the 1990 discs, I prefer these hybrids over those due to the clarity. The no-noise ruined the 1990 discs. It sucked the power out of most the tracks on those albums. I love the 2001 remasters too, if only for opening up the vocals; the whole reason why The Beach Boys are my favorite band. At this point, I am thankful to have two ways to listen and get maximum enjoyment. Overall so far, AP has done right on these first five releases. I figure if the hybrids sound great on the CD Layer alone, then SACD layer is at least the same or better.

Adding my agreement to this.  I've been A-B'ing the CD layer of the Little Deuce Coupe CD with the  1990 and 2001 two-fers and agree that this is way superior.  I've not done a scientific methodical job of it as I've been driving into on-coming traffic as usual but the new release sounds cleaner in every respect, at times as though some one's gone into the tape and cleaned grot off tracks that had long ago clogged up.

I mentioned in an earlier post about stepping in and taking a tour within the music and I still get a sense of that -  at times you feel (I'm talking the stereo track here, of course) as though you can turn your head and see each musician in the studio, hear the track they're playing. That's something I miss with the mono tracks, where everything's melded into that "wall of sound" thing.

On this new release I noticed, for the first time, for example, that during the instrumental break in Custom Machine you can hear Mike (I assume it's Mike), very faintly, running through the first line of the next verse – "stereophonic speaker set with vibrasonic sound…" – ahead of him actually singing it for the recording.

Now, when I go back and listen to that portion on any of the other CDs I have of the album, I hear it there too but I reckon it's the clarity here which draws my attention to it (or maybe I've simply slept through it in the past, listening on autopilot, it's possible!).

I haven't listened closely to the mono versions… yet.

All that said, I'm taking nothing away from the earlier two-fer versions. I still love them and they aren't going anywhere. Each offers its own listening experience … this AP CD though is terrific.

Still to fire up the new hi-fi gear to listen to the SACD layer but haven't chosen the speakers yet…

“We live in divisive times.”
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 21, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »

Drinking Buddies

Joining the chorus.  Agree on all counts about the Redbook layer of the Analogue Productions discs.  These records have never sounded better on CD.  Shame we have to wait even longer for the next wave; AP sure is dragging this out.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 01, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »

Just got my SACDs in (album 2,3, and 4) from Scott Nangle!  £21.99 a piece.  According to his website he has them all back in stock.  I wish I had bought Surfin' Safari too and had it included in the shipping of £4.50.  He's certainly came through again for me.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 01, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »

Yup, just received Surfin Safari SACD from Scott. Happy boy.

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: June 04, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »

made an account quick, its

Surfin Safari
Surfin USA
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down Vol II
All Summer Long
Today
Summer Days
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland

btw any idea on when these are coming out / price / individually or in a set?

Id take out Party and replace it w Wild Honey, party doesn't need a rerelease.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 04, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »

Party's not a bad album, but I just rarely play it.  When I do, I'm always like "why don't I play this more!?"  I like Concert and would love to see it get AP treatment, but won't lose sleep over.

However I am going to miss The Beach Boys Christmas Album.  This great album constantly gets the shaft.  If we could make one change, I'll take Christmas over Party any day of the week.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2015, 03:21:39 AM »

Safari and USA, high res downloads as per the Kevin Grey reissues online now

Check 'em out! here:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys&categoryID=382

or

http://www.hdtracks.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?Bit_Rate=Bit-Rate%3A96-24&ea_a=&ea_bc=-beach-boys%2FBit-Rate%3A192-24&ea_c=&ea_path=&q=beach+boys  (except PS, couldn't filter it out of my search without making an effort).

There are a variety of formats at HD tracks, to placate the FLAC challenged amongst us.

BTW, the HD tracks D/L's have region restrictions, perhaps there are ways to overcome such geographic tyranny, perhaps there are not, either way, I know not.

I do not know if Acoustic Sounds has similar territorial limitations.

Cover art and liner notes not included, although there were no liners with the SACDs.

Go get 'em!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 17, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »

Safari and USA, high res downloads as per the Kevin Grey reissues online now

Check 'em out! here:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys&categoryID=382

or

http://www.hdtracks.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?Bit_Rate=Bit-Rate%3A96-24&ea_a=&ea_bc=-beach-boys%2FBit-Rate%3A192-24&ea_c=&ea_path=&q=beach+boys  (except PS, couldn't filter it out of my search without making an effort).

There are a variety of formats at HD tracks, to placate the FLAC challenged amongst us.

BTW, the HD tracks D/L's have region restrictions, perhaps there are ways to overcome such geographic tyranny, perhaps there are not, either way, I know not.

I do not know if Acoustic Sounds has similar territorial limitations.

Cover art and liner notes not included, although there were no liners with the SACDs.

Go get 'em!

Damn, I feared this might happen. Gonna stick with physical product. Not paying yet again (though I've said that before…)

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx